Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

Ever since atari dropped enemy in sight which was supposedly a competitior to arma ,i was gutted because i think Bis need some competition in this genre, I hold no hopes for any cm made product against Bis , if arma and the cm ofp2 came out on same day then bis would have suffered , because arma is aimed at a mainstream audience and codemasters have much more expereince in that field .

But anyway lets hope we as consumers benefit from some good old fashioned competition and i reckon with the beef these two have with eachother we gonna see some nice stuff coming out when and if the competition starts smile_o.gif.

Unless Bis are making this for codemasters then its bad news cause we gonna get the same old release mechanism again .

OFP 2 won't be aimed at mainstream audience.

So they bring together a huge team and budget for a very small audience? huh.gif

EDIT: I really hope you are right though, if Codemasters lives up to its words then OFP2 will definately be one of the best games ever made. smile_o.gif

I suspect they'll try to pull it off, aiming for a wider audience, forgetting that the CoD4 people won't like this type of game, but they'll try to lure them in. ArmA I believe went this way, it tried to be something that could be enjoyed by a really wide audience, but it came out rather bland and just odd.

I suspect they'll try to pull it off, aiming for a wider audience, forgetting that the CoD4 people won't like this type of game, but they'll try to lure them in. ArmA I believe went this way, it tried to be something that could be enjoyed by a really wide audience, but it came out rather bland and just odd.

They ruined singleplayer and gameplay totally, so no wonder.

Quote[/b] ]

So they bring together a huge team and budget for a very small audience? huh.gif

EDIT: I really hope you are right though, if Codemasters lives up to its words then OFP2 will definately be one of the best games ever made. smile_o.gif

At least the fact that OFP 2 will have a highly realistic gore most likely makes it a 18+ game.

It is important to make the difference : not being a "mainstream" game does not mean you aim at a small audience.

OFP sold more than a million copies and was not a "mainstream" game. Most flying simulations are not mainstream games, but they sell to a wide audience.

A simulation will sell very well as long as it is good.

It is important to make the difference : not being a "mainstream" game does not mean you aim at a small audience.

OFP sold more than a million copies and was not a "mainstream" game. Most flying simulations are not mainstream games, but they sell to a wide audience.

A simulation will sell very well as long as it is good.

I should have added 'relatively' in that sentence, OFP had a relatively small team for its time, yet Codemasters brought a relatively big team together while they are aiming at a relatively small portion of the market (Hell, OFP got very good reviews so alot of people bought it but for some it wasn't really what they expected so they didn't actually like it..), which doesn't really make sense.

Reaching a wider audience doesn't necessarily mean changing what was good about the original, just removing the bad. We can only guess how many people were on the cusp of buying or returned the game because AI and control issues may have gotten in the way. Or imagine a rookie difficulty setting that makes it slightly more survivable than one good hit taking you out. Something that doesn't take anything away from our more hardcore experience and sucking more people into it.

New desing on official OFP2 site:

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/

You can find there a few new renders. You can also find a information that new trailer is coming this Friday.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it's going to be next CGI (render-based) trailer.

Good looking site, though picture 6 (Pic 2 in your post) is a little strange, is that a laser beam? tounge2.gif

Merged...  icon_rolleyes.gif

Jantemplar

Please do not hotlink images over 100kb.

Reaching a wider audience doesn't necessarily mean changing what was good about the original, just removing the bad.

Im not sure about that, I remember a review of the XBOX port of OFP where the reviewer complained that you would die after getting shot only 3 or 4 times (considering in most OFP missions I'd die after one shot, I find it hard to sympathize with that) that it was impossible to shoot accurately immediately after running, or that from a distance it was difficult to differenciate between the enemy and shrubbery (obviously the poor chap never heard of "camouflage"). Considering that, and the current crop of 'pseudo-realistic' shooters, OFP/ArmA is something of a niche. Lets hope CM doesnt runi it like Ubi did to Rainbow 6...

Im not sure about that, I remember a review of the XBOX port of OFP where the reviewer complained that you would die after getting shot only 3 or 4 times

A few things wrong with that though... That's one person's interpretation, for which we would need to look into his nature, ie. does he mainly play racing games or does he think gaming reached its peak with Doom? Then, was his review reflective of all reviews? Plus Elite's timing wasn't exactly ideal, regardless of the changes made. A 360 release may have made a big difference, I don't know.

7.11.08 I am totally there... I'll probably end up watching every frame of the video as I have with the first one a bunch of times.I'm so damned excited. I don't even know why but these screenshots are making me wanna fly down to Codemasters and give them a big arse hug for obviously working very hard on this game. Even if they are just renders, the models are amazing.

As for the game becoming unrealistic appealing to larger fanbases, OFP was a winning formula. They know that building off of a proven formula can sell you millions of copies. Risking it all by changing the very core, the very dynamic & fabic of the previous game seems too risky for a project of this magnitude.

I wonder what camo scheme they're using. It's neither ACU, MARPAT nor multicam. If it means to be woodland MARPAT they've failed, badly. But yay, more renders. I'm interested to see the video, despite its apparent renderness.

Cool.

All I get when checking the OFP2 pages is a black screen  huh.gif

Same here. You've actually got to view the page in english, then it works.

Sure does look nice

I saw a preorder the other day saying it ships Sept 2008

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/index.php#/video/ says coming 2009

I notice the Hmmv is clean in one pic then dirty in another, looks nice

Yes. Even weapons will get scratches and go dirty when used.

I think that's a rather ballsy statement to make unless you're on the development team.

Sure does look nice

I saw a preorder the other day saying it ships Sept 2008

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/index.php#/video/ says coming 2009

I notice the Hmmv is clean in one pic then dirty in another, looks nice

Yes. Even weapons will get scratches and go dirty when used.

I think that's a rather ballsy statement to make unless you're on the development team.

That is stated by the development team.

Yes, it has been confirmed in latest Gamestar preview:

* weapons won't stay shiny all the time... they will get scratches and get dirty while beeing used

According to dirty HMMWV (in the same preview):

* mud effects (comparison --> Race Driver Grid).

Has been stated does not equal being done.

See, this is why we are all whining for screenshots instead of renders, because no screenshots= no game.

How many times have we seen statements go to hell as soon as they realised that it's just too much work and not worth making it, either due to work or just preformance. The weapon wear I can tell you right now is bull or it will change from session to session. Individualism on this scale for weapons is very unlikely.