Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

These are clearly photoshopped renders of actual game models. Not to say the final game will look bad, it may be close to that, but I doubt it...

The soft shadows could be baked, they may have a very cool megatexture techno for the ground and volumetric smoke effects all together, but the antialiasing and the sea are far too perfect for a game. Even Crysis doesn't have that...

YEah, those are target renders. They only have a very early prototype of the game.

These are clearly photoshopped renders of actual game models. Not to say the final game will look bad, it may be close to that, but I doubt it...

The soft shadows could be baked, they may have a very cool megatexture techno for the ground and volumetric smoke effects all together, but the antialiasing and the sea are far too perfect for a game. Even Crysis doesn't have that...

It says on the article that codemasters have promised the game will live up to these renders.

Even pistols have better range than 30m. It has to be a typo.

BTW, I'm sure most of us will be familiar with the gun under the name of SCAR.

And this is not the only stupidity in the article.

"Tanks are vulnerable to Javelin missiles. They need support"

*Picture of Abrams*

biggrin_o.gif

Well the article is full of these things, here are two more:

- the modern M1A1 is quoted as having a "105mm cannon"

- again the apparently modern UH-60 is using 2 "M60 machineguns"

Looks like we are back to 1985   icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi all

Artists renders no in game shots yet.

ArmA had in game shots a year before release. So probably July 2009 at the earliest for OFP II. In fact BIS have only ever released in game shots.

Kind Regards walker

Can't really blame Codemasters for a bunch of mlitary novices over at PCGamer.

Wha... How dare they render and photoshop their target shots?! Maybe they just need some pics out there, to support the articles. Would be pretty lame in text only or with some half-assed in-game pics with all kinds of gfx and animation bugs.

You can't compare BIS and Codemasters. Consider, if release takes BIS a year after first shots because they didn't find a publisher, it could very well take Codies just a month after first in-game shots because they only publish stuff that represents the final quality of the game.

Also, first Game 1.5 shots looked nothing like ArmA. While it was nice of them to do, one could argue that those shots aren't actually in-game shots of ArmA at all, but some dev build of OFP Elite.

Codemasters just "stole" the name OFP, orginally, it should be BIS right to use it, 'cos they've done all on it?!? And that SCAR gun is VERY known for players of GRAW...

CM vs. BIS...its becoming much more less like ATI vs. Nvidia nowdays.

Quality race which results a better games, hey...u need a competitor to be able to grow!.

i cheer for Codemasters to make so damn good game that will push BIS to it limits in order to compete smile_o.gif. And only then...we will see top work from Marek and crew.

Codemasters just "stole" the name OFP, orginally, it should be BIS right to use it, 'cos they've done all on it?!? And that SCAR gun is VERY known for players of GRAW...

Codies did the story, which might explain why the story in ArmA sucked tounge2.gif?

Quote[/b] ]Codies did the story,

No, they did not. As indication of that you may want to be aware all OFP content intellectual properties (including story, characters, ...) belong to us, which makes initiatives like Cold War Rearmed possible. Codemasters were involved in some aspects of development and design of the game (publisher always is), but it is definitely not true that Codemasters created the story (and I do not even think they ever claimed that).

Quote[/b] ]Codemasters just "stole" the name OFP

No, they did not steal it. Based on the contract between us the trademark and name belongs to them, and that is everything that matters. As for judging as whether it is fair or not, I guess nobody who does not all the contract details can judge that. Fact is publishers usually do keep rights for the name, and with OFP it was that way as well.

I always wonder how some people say naive things like "BIS should never accept a contract where...", or "BIS should never go with a publisher that ...". Closing a publishing deal is a matter of two sides. Everything needs to be negotiated and you can negotiate only within some limits, and most of what you get needs to be compensated by something you lose. The contracts we have regarding ArmA are much different than the one we had for OFP in many aspects, which means they are in some areas more favorable for us, and in some areas we (or you) may miss something.

I think OFP2 will be a worthy succesor of OFP.Physics,gore dismemberment,realism,so much weapons and vehicles.All I can say is that i cant wait for this game.Also as I see the things at the moment I believe that OFP2 will own easily ArmA2.Just my opinion.

Physics,gore dismemberment

Well now, that was barely mentioned, they mentioned blood effects, I think they'll use the same as ArmA/OFP, physics, hardly any mention and again, doubtful that it will see crysis like physics( crysis is limited as it is to huts, trees and plants, etc, small things), mainly because preformance suffers, as well as net traffic and so does AI.

I think it's still best to keep a distance and not get overly excited, but it does look like things are shaping up, and I think we'll most likely get some real screenshots at E3(very basic build, very limited demo) and then nothing until christmas. I'm guessing that the actual release date will be moved near christmas season 2009, because if they don't have real screenshots to show yet, they don't have it done at all yet.

No, they did not. As indication of that you may want to be aware all OFP content intellectual properties (including story, characters, ...) belong to us, which makes initiatives like Cold War Rearmed possible. Codemasters were involved in some aspects of development and design of the game (publisher always is), but it is definitely not true that Codemasters created the story (and I do not even think they ever claimed that).

So, Codemasters don't own the IP but do they own the copyright of the data, including models, sounds etc? As in, you couldn't use them as is, or even as a base for new models?

If not, then was there legal reasons to leave OFP content out of ArmA, as presumed by the community and if I remember correctly, even stated by BIS at some point?

Oh yes, and it has the AH-1z from BF2. Quite obviously, they are making a crossbreed of BF2 and GRAW. What a rip-off, EA and Ubi should sue this bunch of lying thieves!

So, Codemasters don't own the IP but do they own the copyright of the data, including models, sounds etc? As in, you couldn't use them as is, or even as a base for new models?

If not, then was there legal reasons to leave OFP content out of ArmA, as presumed by the community and if I remember correctly, even stated by BIS at some point?

Codemasters own the trademark and the brand. I think they might also own some of the sound files or something. I don't think they own any other data.

*cough*far cry*cough*crysis*cough*

Quote[/b] ]

It says on the article that codemasters have promised the game will live up to these renders.

so what? they all say that

Haha yeah so because they have the same real life gun in the game it's going to be a GRAW clone. icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't believe you guys, incredibly negative and pessimistic, you're just trying to find reasons to bash Codies despite EVERYTHING they've said pointing to a fanfuckingtastic sequel.

Who gives a shit if they don't have screenies yet, I thought you were all obsessed with gameplay anyway (as you should be). It's based on the GRID/Dirt/whatever engine so it'll be good. What we DO know is that everything they've said about gameplay is looking VERY VERY good.

I'll be laughing my ass off when OFP2 blows the shit out of everything released in the "tactical shooter" genre beforehand.

The split between Codies and BIS is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened to OFP fans. We now have not one, but TWO games coming out both claiming to be the ultimate realistic squad-based shooter.

And from what ArmA was like, I'm leaning towards Codies coming out on top, if nothing else because of their huge budget and team (largest project they've had to date), but regardless, I'll probably be buying both games.

Haha yeah so because they have the same real life gun in the game it's going to be a GRAW clone. icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't believe you guys, incredibly negative and pessimistic, you're just trying to find reasons to bash Codies despite EVERYTHING they've said pointing to a fanfuckingtastic sequel.

Who gives a shit if they don't have screenies yet, I thought you were all obsessed with gameplay anyway (as you should be). It's based on the GRID/Dirt/whatever engine so it'll be good. What we DO know is that everything they've said about gameplay is looking VERY VERY good.

I'll be laughing my ass off when OFP2 blows the shit out of everything released in the "tactical shooter" genre beforehand.

I think your wrong. If OFP2 does live up too everything Codie says I think most players here will buy it as well. The problem is right now it is all talk by OFP's producers not it's original maker's. Similar to hearing a movie add-" By the producer's of The Matrix!" - not quite the same is it confused_o.gif

I think your wrong. If OFP2 does live up too everything Codie says I think most players here will buy it as well. The problem is right now it is all talk by OFP's producers not it's original maker's. Similar to hearing a movie add-" By the producer's of The Matrix!" - not quite the same is it confused_o.gif

Sometimes it's just the original maker's idea that's good, not his ability to execute it. Since you took an analogy from a sci-fi movie, I see your crappy Matrix and raise you.... Battlestar Galactica reimagined.

The split between Codies and BIS is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened to OFP fans. We now have not one, but TWO games coming out both claiming to be the ultimate realistic squad-based shooter.

And from what ArmA was like, I'm leaning towards Codies coming out on top, if nothing else because of their huge budget and team (largest project they've had to date), but regardless, I'll probably be buying both games.

Well excuse some of us for being pessimistic.

But talk is just talk, they still have to walk the walk, and it isnt wrong to doubt that at all!

The past has proven to me at least, that when other companies take over, it's never for the good, and allways has been for the bad so far.

I name Rainbow Six (look to what that horrible abomination called Vegas did to that series) and Ghost Recon, after the franchises got taken over by Ubisoft.

It is so easy to cave in for the mainstream and sell as many copies as you can, because they all love money, and whatever gets them that money, they will do.

Right now it's just words. When i've played it myself, then and only then, can OFP2 lift my pessimism, if it lives up to their talking at all.

I seriously, seriously dont want to hear the words 'streamlining' or 'making it more accessible' coming out of their mouths, cause that can only mean one thing.

All their talking so far is idle, and isnt really deserving of so much defence when they havent really shown a single thing so far.

How do you know it will be good? Usign game from racing game on infantry.... It might be simple GRAW 2 style game but with old style ghost recon 1 gameplay, with open terrains...

Withotu any screenshots and videos, this is not even a game... its jsut bunch of renders which they claim they will incldue in the game... I wonder how, when it could take up to 8 hours or even more to render image, in good quality..

Right now OFP2 is worthless game, i can make renders too and day i will make a game with uber realistic infantry action.... Will be funny to see when game is released, and tis not what Codemaster claimed.....  tounge2.gif  At least with ArmA 2 you know what to expect, but codemasters, they never made any good as OFP, tactical shooters.  whistle.gif I'm not een waiting for OFP2, because i didn't see a single ingame video or screenshot, but i did see ARMA 2 videos and screenshots.

How do you know it will be good? Usign game from racing game on infantry.... It might be simple GRAW 2 style game but with old style ghost recon 1 gameplay, with open terrains...

Withotu any screenshots and videos, this is not even a game... its jsut bunch of renders which they claim they will incldue in the game... I wonder how, when it could take up to 8 hours or even more to render image, in good quality..

Right now OFP2 is worthless game, i can make renders too and day i will make a game with uber realistic infantry action.... Will be funny to see when game is released, and tis not what Codemaster claimed..... tounge2.gif At least with ArmA 2 you know what to expect, but codemasters, they never made any good as OFP, tactical shooters. whistle.gif I'm not een waiting for OFP2, because i didn't see a single ingame video or screenshot, but i did see ARMA 2 videos and screenshots.

Agree. Lets see if they cough out in-game footage at E3 (unlikey but...)

Will be funny to see when game is released, and tis not what Codemaster claimed.....  tounge2.gif

My saying. smile_o.gif

Well excuse some of us for being pessimistic.

But talk is just talk, they still have to walk the walk, and it isnt wrong to doubt that at all!

The past has proven to me at least, that when other companies take over, it's never for the good, and allways has been for the bad so far.

I name Rainbow Six (look to what that horrible abomination called Vegas did to that series) and Ghost Recon, after the franchises got taken over by Ubisoft.

It is so easy to cave in for the mainstream and sell as many copies as you can, because they all love money, and whatever gets them that money, they will do.

Right now it's just words. When i've played it myself, then and only then, can OFP2 lift my pessimism, if it lives up to their talking at all.

I seriously, seriously dont want to hear the words 'streamlining' or 'making it more accessible' coming out of their mouths, cause that can only mean one thing.

All their talking so far is idle, and isnt really deserving of so much defence when they havent really shown a single thing so far.

Guess what they haven't said ANYTHING about streamlining. You're fucking putting words in their mouths.

And they SPECIFICALLY STATED in the preview (in case you didn't read it) that they understand that making a more arcadey shooter would be a mistake.

Am I the only one who read the fucking thing? Unless they're flat out LYING then we have every reason to be hopeful. The lack of screenshots means jack shit right now. I thought we were in this for the gameplay not graphics?  icon_rolleyes.gif

Even if we did have screenies it wouldn't show us really much or anything about the gameplay.

You all seem to be forgetting that

1) OFP:CWC made a LOT of money. It was very commercially successful, especially in Europe (where Codemasters is based).

2) ArmA was buggy as hell (no disrespect to BIS, but seriously)

I'm one of the OFP "originals" and all I know is that Arma 2 still looks like just a slightly upgraded version of the original OFP.

Codemasters seem to understand what OFP is all about and they're pouring massive resources into this project. They're not dumbasses.

I just can't understand this thinking when the devs have on several occasions SPECIFICALLY ADDRESSED concerns about OFP2 being dumbed down.

Whatever, time will prove me right.

Disaster your arguments are frankly absurd. This is not Ubisoft we're dealing with here. It's an entirely different company who's putting their ass on the line making this the biggest project they've ever done. Every single fucking thing they've said has pointed to a realistic shooter. Everything. Screenshots would prove almost nothing anyways about gameplay.

I'm not saying go out and pre-order it but seriously, this baseless Codies bashing is stupid as hell in front of all the indications that they know what they're doing, maybe even --dare I say it-- more so than BIS (if for no other reason than that they have far more money and a much larger team behind it).

Also need I remind you all that the original Game2 SS look almost nothing like Arma 2?

No need to have a hissy fit.

It's only a preview with some 'promises' which are useless in the world of business.

As said in the preview they only have an early prototype so the game seem to be a while away. A lot of things COULD change in that space of time.

Those pre-renders look sweet biggrin_o.gif  This game is shaping up to be what Ghost Recon should have been. But I guess we'll have to wait and see for real, cause seeing is believing.