Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V1.0 Large scale respawn coop

sry @KilJoy [sFG] notworthy.gif

This mission is no official version, but only an experimental test version.

Was taken already of the server and is started only with private events.

(request)

@ kiljoy

Love this mission. Usually hate coop but this is very impressive. I dont know if this has been ask already because I didnt read all 50 pages of this thread, but can you PLZ make a version of this in the near future were you play as East with East Equipment at the Airport.

I would love to try this out as East (mainly cause I'm a slut to the East in MP games) all that needs to be done is replace East and West Units with thier counterparts and its ready to play (sf Assault - Especia).

This would be greatly appreciated, would be incredibly fun, and would give some of people some greatly needed practice on East Equipment.

(request)

I dont know if this has been ask already because I didnt read all 50 pages of this thread, but can you PLZ make a version of this .....

MjrStiffy,

KilJoy has made it clear that right now he's going to work on, and maintain one mission until he's "done", and then he'll work with spinoffs and other ideas...

Why? Because it's easier to concentrate on ONE mission and ONE list of bugs and problems than to keep up with a mess of em'.

He's also asked that people don't mod his mission or mess with until at least he's done with it (as it causes confusion as we've all seen), but unfortunately there's idiots out there that don't listen or seem to respect authors.

Yeah i love the mission too, i joined late on in the mission and as i went up the ranks i become a uh60 pilot i was flying over the sea and i saw a fin sticking out of the water.. it loooked sooo funny like a shark smimming but it was an downed aircraft lool.

@Kiljoy, with regards to the missing waypoint bug, I might have a lead, The waypoints are not missing but the mission is dynamically placed so far off the map you cant see the waypoints. I started the rescue mission(10) and I had the waypoint arrow pointing 10km off the south coast, I took the UH60 for a long range trip and found my mission objective, having a little swim, the rebels and reporter were just bobbing in the water, my Ai made short work of the rebels but I've never tried plucking Ai out of the water with the UH60 so didnt risk it.

Anyway, maybe its the random placement scripts that are throwing the spanner in the works?

P.S. someone mentioned a 1000 lives system, with a failed mission ending, I think it could really give Evolution a twist, like the guy said at present its not a matter of IF but WHEN.

@ Kiljoy

I still have my heart set on system of maintaining a score beyond a mission session (guarding against server crashes, restarts, mission changes, etc).

I went ahead and downloaded the DSTS software from here:

http://www.armedassault.eu/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=35

and used their example scripts to integrate into v1.1 evolution (the last version I can successfully extract the mission.sqm.). My samples scripts are here:

http://members.tacticalgamer.com/~shiner....ara.rar

There are 4 new scripts prepended by DSTS. 2 are simple calls and 2 are the actual store and retrieval of the scores. Right now I have it setup so that you can use a radio trigger to store and a radio trigger to retrieve. I did NOT actually connect the input and export of these scripts to the packed scores in the mission as I don't know enough about your scripts to feel confident doing so. These scripts are more a proof-of-concept that scores can be stored in the text files and retrieved.

My thoughts on how you could use this:

1. In the init.sqs have call the retrieve function to load scores. If the DSTS system is functioning it will load into memory the scores from the previous session(s).

2. Setup a trigger that saves the scores every X minutes to the file.

From a functional standpoint, the admins of the server can wipe the scores as they see fit.. we would most likely setup a cron job to wipe the files on Monday morning. This allows some people to get to scores not possible in todays environment, in particular, those players with less play-time available.

This would also enable us to allow people to switch between other missions without messing up existing scores for those in evolution.

sounds like a good plan Shiner, let's hope killjoy can appreciate the help smile_o.gif

Especially this part:

Quote[/b] ]This would also enable us to allow people to switch between other missions without messing up existing scores for those in evolution.

Monk.

I don't get the point of saving the scores if you can't also save the EXACT point in the mission you're at when it crashed, like a true "save game".

Why?

Who wants to start the mission over as a Colonel? What the heck fun is there in THAT?

The only reason I can find in wanting that script is to help stop server crashes - lost games because of that.. but quite frankly, I've yet to have our ArmA dedi server crash, ever.. so I'm not overly sympathetic on that one either.

If I'm starting the mission over with respect to nothing's done, and I must start off attacking Paraiso - I'd like to be a private, and expect everyone else to be too...

This is the point where not having any major vehicles at the base at all would be a good use of the score saving. It would allow you to not so much keep your rank but it would give you "credits" to purchase upgrades or vehicles. Something of a melding of the "ranks start over" idea with the "scores get saved" idea.

This is the point where not having any major vehicles at the base at all would be a good use of the score saving. It would allow you to not so much keep your rank but it would give you "credits" to purchase upgrades or vehicles. Something of a melding of the "ranks start over" idea with the "scores get saved" idea.

I guess I don't agree only because I'm used to playing in quality co-op games where everyone constantly repairs and fixes all the assets as we move from town to town.

With the stuff we have, and how we capture their stuff too (we're always driving BRDM's, Shilka's, BMP's and T72's), I never, ever see it as a problem. It's so easy to get the enemy to jump out of their stuff. We hardly blow stuff up anymore, just make them get out and take their armor.

I still think a colonel playing at the start is silly, waste of time.

But I respect other's views, that's just my .02

Is it possible to make wasting expensive vehicles penalize you? I mean a colonel shouldn't be able to have the last AH-1 after losing (whatever means, no such thing as "death without fault") the previous 3, right?

A transport UH-60 pilot that flys over 3 Shilka zones and gets shot down should lose some rank, right? Some people can fly in Shilka zones without trouble but it should really be penalized for folks doing it dumbly, say maybe if they're way up high in a shilka zone, tick away a point per second or something.

Maybe do a vehicle recovery mission before being allowed back into the really high $ stuff again.

I'm kinda tired of seeing the first players to unlock a vehicle splat them into the country side in 2 minutes of gaining access. The same kinda people that gain score quickly are the exact WRONG people to be using such delicate and valuable machinery.

Some kind of "with great priviliage comes great responsibility" thing, please.

fred my words smile_o.gif ...

P.S. someone mentioned a 1000 lives system, with a failed mission ending, I think it could really give Evolution a twist, like the guy said at present its not a matter of IF but WHEN.

As I have stated often it is a great mission but I have stopped playing it.

There is no point playing a mission that you are ALWAYS going to win. You can't even lose the side missions.

Some kind of timer or death count is needed.

Okay so we have all played Evolution to death. Time to also start work on Evolution Reloaded in which you have to clear all the other towns not included in the first one wink_o.gif

More! We demand more of this goodness!

as far as these way point bugs go i found that when i use 6th sense arma launcher even with 6th sense mod unchecked,i get all the way point bugs listed here in this forum...when i launch arma vanilla i dont get them at all,, just an fyi..

anyways my .02 on the mission it needs to unrank u when u wreck a heli...love the mission though great work, u look in arma 90% of the servers are running it congrats

I would like to have a respawning Enemy...

Let say for towns..E respawns a 8 manned group

every 15 min some 2 clicks outside the town with

the objective to take back the town. And i would

like MORE towns..More objectives...

kilJoy..Your in this for life you know notworthy.gif

Afaik the AI reinforces towns already in Evolution, once the specific town remain abandoned for some time. We had some scary moments when we were driving through cleaned towns and stumbled on a fully-fledged mechanized company and additional small-arms fire from hostile airborne spec-ops. ArmA has its moments, no doubt wink_o.gif

I don't get the point of saving the scores if you can't also save the EXACT point in the mission you're at when it crashed, like a true "save game".

Why?

Who wants to start the mission over as a Colonel? What the heck fun is there in THAT?

The only reason I can find in wanting that script is to help stop server crashes - lost games because of that.. but quite frankly, I've yet to have our ArmA dedi server crash, ever.. so I'm not overly sympathetic on that one either.

If I'm starting the mission over with respect to nothing's done, and I must start off attacking Paraiso - I'd like to be a private, and expect everyone else to be too...

I'll use myself as an example, although this equally applies to anyone in a similar situation:

With a FT job and schedule, I MAY get to play 30 minutes every-other night. The TG server generally runs through evolution every 1-2 days. That means I am ALWAYS at a level that I can't utilize anything of value in the rank system. It literally has no point for someone like me in its current incarnation.

If the DSTS system is implemented, it would allow me to at least accumulate SOME rank throughout the week, so I can finally use a LB or armor. I don't care if the mission is just starting and others have COBRA, I would like to participate in the rank system as well.

Now beyond my self-ish desires, having the DSTS system allows us as admins to swap in co-op missions, restart the server, etc without fear of upsetting people working on ranks.

I was thinking about this last night. I think it would be cool to have this all export to a sql db so you can take your Rank to dif missions. This way you dont always have to be playing evolution(not that it's a bad mission). I would love to see this evolve into a sort of mod where as long as the mission has certain scripts in it then the user can use his rank. Then make ranking a bit more difficult.

An idea we passed around in the 169th server is have the ammo crates do the same in a CTF or cap an hold that it does in Evo. This was you have to be a certain rank to use the sniper rifles and stuff. It would make the game much more realistic and have more depth.

Now these are all just thoughts and I will not edit anything without the permission of the original creator. Great mission. biggrin_o.gif

Thought about the ranking system, too.

In my eyes it's nice to have some ranking, but it is totally useless the way it is now.

I always play as a sniper. However, with the current system, I have to become a sergeant first to use the M24 and Col. to get my hands on the M107.

Same for Machinegunners and Grenadiers.

My suggestion is a class-based ranking system. If you choose a sniper, you spawn with a ACOG scoped rifle as a private and with higher ranks unlock the better equipment (SPR, M24, M107). No one else but a sniper should have access to this arsenal, otherwise the whole point of having different classes to choose from is useless, too.

Same for machine gunners (they have to acheive more points from M249 to M240, because only 2 guns are available) and Grenadiers should start with M16A2 / M203 and advance to the pimped up versions of the grenade launcher attached rifles.

I miss dedicated pilots, they, too, can climb up the ladder to fly the gunships later on.

Another suggestion would be to remove the weather forecast. It's nice to see the rain coming, but I'd rather like to be caught in a shower by surprise, same for fog.

There should be teams from the beginning up. Playing as your own chief does not help in communications and teamplay.

I like missions with less gimmicks and more atmosphere. No fancy scrips, more fierce battle. The recruitment has no point in my opinion, however, I don't care and never use that system anyway.

To end this post: Nice work, nonetheless !

We need more servers with Evolution, there are still a few left where people play other missions. This is unacceptable and these people need to be shown the light. Some of them even play with no respawn, hahaha LOL.

Long live Evolution. It's the bestest mission evar!

Because playing for points is really what Arma is all about.

Thumbs up!

We need more servers with Evolution, there are still a few left where people play other missions. This is unacceptable and these people need to be shown the light. Some of them even play with no respawn, hahaha LOL.

Thumbs up!

Whats so bad about non respawn maps? The only problem with Evolution and the majority of other respawn maps is that its Impossible to lose.

Personally I think teamwork and playing with people I like is more important than what score I have.

Evolution does get repetitive and I think it wise and good that there are still places where evolution isnt played all the time.

you dont say.

Nowadays it's like 20 out of 25 servers are playing some version of evolution. China servers seem to be stuck at version 1.2 though.

Maybe after this map has been perfected we can await the next big thing....

hopefully it doesnt take long.

Thumbs up!

Im in fact glad there is other servers.. this mission gets borning after a 7 hours of playing.. i need to play normal coops for the rest of the week after that wink_o.gif