Sign in to follow this  
Gorgi Knootewoot

Buying ArmA

As a huge fan of OFP which i bought at launch and played for years and had lots of fun with it on LAN parties, i have second thought on buying ArmA.

I have been looking forward to the game, but it wasn't out here in the Netherlands until 2007 so i read reviews and people's topics who where lucky enough to get it november 2006. Unfortunately, those reviews and topics where almost never positive.

But everytime i walk past the shop and i see ArmA, my purse itches. I am drooling and buy it almost. Can someone convince me?

First i have a few questions..

I have a amd64 3800+x2 with 2 gig ram and a 8800 GTS. Yes, i tried the demo and it run like crap for some odd reason.

Is the full game different? Does it run smoother then the demo because it prolly has been patched a few times already?

How about multiplayer. ArmA has join game in progress, which i always hoped to be in OFP someday. Does it work good? Do people play huge scale battles which i can just enter or does it only work on deathmatch and flagfights?

Can i shoot rabbits in the game?

Well, i hope to get some answers because OFP is a classic. I don't play it anymore (dec. 2006 was my last time), but miss the game.

Thanks all,

Should you buy it? It depends. I'd say an emphatic 'YES!' But at the same time, you have an 8800- that may have some issues. Also, in your configuration, you may have settings or TSR's that may create problems. Thank God I have none of those, and my experience is most enjoyable.

I just wanted to tell you if it runs on your system, and you can accept the evolution of the controls and gameplay, you will have a blast as well. smile_o.gif

Hope that helps,

Scrub

If you were a huge fan of OFP, do you have any choice?

If you were a huge fan of OFP, do you have any choice?

He has a good point smile_o.gif .

Some people have issues with the 8800 though, the 1.05 patch might trigger them. There have also been posts showing the game running great on an 8800, so you might be fine.

Personally I am playing the game on a 7800GT. The 1.05 patch seems to have brought performance down a bit, but hopefully that will be improved in the next patch. The game is perfectly playable for me though.

i have had OFP installed for more then 5 years in my computer, i loved it , but the first time i played Arma i desinstalled OFP and i knew i never would play it again , Arma is like OFP but much better , and wait for the comunity to develop its posiblities to the maximun

Most reviews posted of the game will be negative... because they expect improvements from their complaining. Constructive criticism is always welcome for developers, but obviously whatever does its purpose well, we take for granted wink_o.gif

But i do love ArmA, needs lots of bug fixes but BIS always pull through. Plus for those who say this game is incomplete i can assure you that is complete bull.. they are exaggerating as it is just as complete as OFP and its less buggy than OFP was in its early days anyway. People are just too used to playing OFP 1.96(?) which has been patched for years... as i said, people take that for granted smile_o.gif

If you're getting really serious issues with your 8800 GTS on the demo i should think it would be likely that the same issue will arise on the full game... but you never know, it may get fixed in the next patch anyway. Plus lots of people with an 8800 have it running great.

At the end of the day, the game is pretty cheap (20 pounds) compared to all the latest titles which can cost up to 50 pounds.

Well, it's only euro 49,99 smile_o.gif . And i am still a huge OFP fan and love it's community.

There, i ordered it. Will retrieve it tomorrow or Saturday.

See you on the battlefield smile_o.gif

Well, it's only euro 49,99 smile_o.gif .

Oh? I got it for 35.

Well, it's only euro 49,99 smile_o.gif .

Oh? I got it for 35.

Or in play.com it's euro 27.99 DELIVERED thumbs-up.gif

DUHHHHHH!!!!!!

Arma online is da bombzzzzz!

A friend of mine was finally convinced and bought it. What brotherly love we had online.

Same here, got a friend to buy it, and he cant stop thanking me. He used to play BF2, now he is finally cured of his illness.

It is - despite the bugs - the finest game I have ever played.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say it depends on your system, if like me you have a C2D and 8800 I would hold off for a bit and see if the next patch fixes some serious performance issues (and that damn fog), its just too annoying to be playable as it is.

crazy_o.gif

Well, it's only euro 49,99 smile_o.gif . And i am still a huge OFP fan and love it's community.

50 euros is pretty expensive! You could definitely have

got it cheaper.

And, no, you can't shoot rabbits in the game - yet

(unless you mean it in the WW2 British sense of the

term "rabbit shooting" which is "hit the dirt and shoot

anything that moves" which is the default battle tactic

for the AI bods in the game). You can shoot the

birds that fly around though!  smile_o.gif

Yep, this is a great game, but your 8800 wont like it..

couple of bits of advice to save you trawling throught these formums for solutions..

if possible only patch up to 1.04, it is stable for your 8800 and looks great (except for white fog)

if you go to 1.05, not really hugely noticable differences, use the -maxmem=512 execution command to limit your machine to only using 512 RAM, this will reduce the crashing..

good luck, enjoy

Kiwi.

Hey, i live in North America and I'm a big fan of Operation flashpoint so i was wondering if i should buy Arma when it comes out in America. Just Post here if you think i should get it or not. Or your review on the game.

Merged USMC Needers topic with this already existing topic covering the question to buy or not to buy.

Why you need to open a new topic when there was a similiar one made 3 days ago?

Merged USMC Needers topic with this already existing topic covering the question to buy or not to buy.

Why you need to open a new topic when there was a similiar one made 3 days ago?

Cause only mod's ever look at anything more than the first page! LOL

8800 advice, keep textures maxed at high, post process off, and terrain at LOW. Max everything else no issue upto 1600x1024.

Then NO crashes. One of thsoe settings is what annoys the 8800 GTX.

Download the latest nvidia drivers, don't install any sh*t that came with your card!!!

White fog is a bummer, getting fixed soon.

Also in your ARMA.cfg ramp HDR to 16 or 32, get rid of 8bit!

I run at 1024 max mem no crashes, this is why I suspect its the texture setting in combo with the max mem that pisses of the 8800... nener.gif

My review of ARMA:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc....=431568

"Let the Kids CS, let the button mashers BF2, let the Adults use ARMA"

well arma shoud run fine on your system, at least in the south part of sahrani. it depends a bit what you liked about ofp. if you were into coop & c&h, you should buy it but as for ctf and dm, you might buy the wrong game, as they did'nt really made it for this. the whole anim's spoil the fast part known from ofp, so if you run you're mostly dead, if you camp you win, so most ctf matches are now filled with ppl just waiting around a corner and flags becoming just a sign for spawnrapers. ballistic's and sounds are also strange, sometimes you can't even hear that you being shot at no matter what weapon is in use and the white uniforms of the US soldiers making those maps a rabbit hunt instead of a balanced gamefun, about CTI i don't know, they made big advertisment for CTI, but i haven't seen one working yet. Others might prove me wrong... C&H is really good since those Berzerk maps, exspecialy night maps are thrilling...

All in all the gfx are made for Computers not in store yet, while you have more problems with new technology, patches might resolve those problems but on the other hand it might be already to late.

well this is just my opinion, you might see now alota "BIS defenders" trying to prove me wrong while calling me a CS kid or a BF2 noob, as they don't see the difference between reality and games...