Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dynamic War

Quote[/b] ]anychance of a mp version? sorry if you have said yes/no already i have not seen
Quote[/b] ]This is a single player only mission.

^^^

Like he said. smile_o.gif

However, the thing that always stopped me doing a conversion was the variable thing which I had to keep to a minimum for SP use. The fact that arrays can now be publicvariabled would help immensly too.

But, I ain't no l33t scripter. MP scripting and SQF scares me so it's not going to happen for a while, if at all.

One thing that I did briefly flirt with was a Chopper dynamic mission, I ran out of steam quite early on but the idea still attracts me. Apart from the fact I'm a rubbish pilot so testing could be time-consuming!

Cheers

Just played a couple of missions after installing XAM 1.4. All I have to say is that DW is even better on XAM! XAM adds a lot background sounds, but the DW mission seems to run better. XAM seems to be very optimized and really makes very good use of ARMA's engine. XAM is one of the best mods I have downloaded so far. The sound is very hard hitting and realistic. It adds a new touch to your mission. Still liking the Mapfact addition you added. Very nice.

I really have enjoyed your mission. yay.gifyay.gif

EDIT:

OOPS....found one glitch with XAM. One can paradrop into a mission no problem. When one lands into a LZ on a chopper, you get stuck and cannot move. Oh well.

When one lands into a LZ on a chopper, you get stuck and cannot move. Oh well.

that happened to me too but i don't remember if it was playing with XAM, i think it happened because they killed me while i was in the chopper just before landing but i'm not sure

Another update:

Normal

United Sahrani

Quote[/b] ]

0.92e

Added infantry dialogue, these units use a basic version of GL3. Available in POW mission only at the moment

Moved 2 of the POW locations

Removed the extra groups in the POW mission

Rewrite of part of the POW mission

Added General Baron's click effect for the markers

Gone crazy with variables...just because I can. biggrin_o.gif

Rewrite of some of the radio messages

Added the use of the mapfact radio, your group must carry one of these to use ANY radio options.

Tinkered with the chopper scripts again, they're MUCH better...I'll get it right one of these days.

Fixed Raid end action not appearing after reload...hopefully

Fixed Ambush end action not appearing after reload...hopefully

Tinkered with the persistant spawn scripts. Island should be a bit more lively.

Now, someone in your group HAS to have a radio, if it's lost or the guy carrying it goes down you will lose ALL the standard radio options. This is on any of the missions. Quick test for you, shoot number 2 who will have the radio by default and open up the map, voila, no radio. Pick up the radio or get one of the AI to and the radio options come back, this means it's important to keep this guy alive or make sure you carry the radio to be able to call any of the support or even an evac.

The AI will no longer join your group in the POW mission, it's a pain in the butt to try and organise all those dudes using the F11/F12 keys so now they're controlled with the dialogue. It's easier than it looks, honest! If you bring it up along the top are the group names: Alpha to Foxtrot, then going vertically down are the options to control them. If you click the move button for example, you need to bring the map up, click on the map and a marker will appear. The group will then move to that location. If you want them to move there quickly click fast, if you want them to hold fire click hold etc.

0.92f (unreleased)

Fixed widescreen focus overlay

Added dialogue to choose how to rearm

Removed mission selection dialogue

Extra wave added to the Defend town missions in case the civvies are a bit lively.

0.92G

M4/Acog in the ammocrate is available earlier.

Added mainbase troops to DAC

1.09 is now compulsory. No apologies made. smile_o.gif

Fixed defend missions, broken in the last few versions. Back to lively wink_o.gif

Fixed setradiomsg commands in missions

More tweaking of the evac/insert scripts

Tweak of the endspawn/delete scripts

Cheers

This sounds great, i thinking of trying to implement the radios myself (but would have cocked it up for sure).  

Thanks.

Also, as I said before, my AI have started running around again.  I thought they may be set to 'engage at will', but that’s not the case.  Then I thought it might have been due to that VFAI addon that allows AI units to freely forage for ammo from other fallen units.  But I’ve now removed it.

What happens is this; We get inserted by UH60, and the AI seem to have a move way point of there own and just run off.  I call them back to formation and they start coming back to me, but then trot off again to this random location.  This is the same behaviour as that addon I mentioned, but I assure you I’ve removed it.

Might they be influenced by DAC..?

Has any one else noticed such behaviour?

I'm using 1.09 beta, QG, United Sahrani.

Quote[/b] ] i thinking of trying to implement the radios myself (but would have cocked it up for sure).

Actually the Mapfact guys have made it incredibly easy to implement.

Quote[/b] ]What happens is this; We get inserted by UH60, and the AI seem to have a move way point of there own and just run off. I call them back to formation and they start coming back to me, but then trot off again to this random location. This is the same behaviour as that addon I mentioned, but I assure you I’ve removed it.

I suspect you still have something running, I've never noticed this behaviour and I have had a few independant testers that haven't mentioned it either.

Quote[/b] ]Might they be influenced by DAC..?

Nope, don't think so.

just played a couple of missions of this QG new version, and it rocks, the new radio options are very useful indeed, thank you so much MrN

@stegman's issue: i run VFAI and apart from the usual running off to get ammo\weapons the Ai are behaving just fine.

Sorted it. The game I was playing was a 'resumed' game, after removing the add on.  I guess it's possible the addons scripts are stored some how and where still running.  

@Bonko

You're welcome. As long as people are playing it I'll still keep tinkering with it. 1.09 and DAC have certainly peaked my interest in Arma again.

@stegman

The only things I can think of is an effects addon kicking around somewhere or the simple one, they haven't still got waypoints hanging around from a previous mission?

I may have neglected to explain the difference between the options at the beginning.

The 4 options are:

Cadet Veteran

Cadet NoGL\No Dac Veteran NoGL\No Dac

If you choose either of the bottom 2 you will get no Dac spawned troops and no Grouplink2 AI scripts. I included that option just in case the player experienced too much lag/slowdown with the generated units but you're seriously missing out if you haven't tried them. Also, there's no additional actions added.

Cheers

OK, after resolving my little issue it's on with mission;

...and something unexpected happened;

Something, i presume a Kamov, attacked the base while i was away. When i returned, there was a smoking M1a1 on the run way, and the pilot's shack and the ammo tent had been destroyed, killing the pilot and ammo dude! wow_o.gif

This can't be helped, but the characters stayed dead, whilst the actions of 'rearm' and 'choose LZ' where still available (from corpses ) crazy_o.gif

It might be worth setting those two guys to captive true, or after selecting a new mission, set they damage to 0 to heal or ressurect them.

Or, a more drestic method, when the player and his team moves 'xxx' meters away, spawn a few Vulcans around the HQ buildings and tents, then remove them when the player returns?? (I don't much like this one...what do you think?)

It happened to me, too, but it didn't kill my officer inside the base. It did wipe out everyone outside but they respawned after a while. This happened several times at all bases, not just the main base, but all the destroyed units respawned. I thought it was actually cool, but of course, I didn't loose important characters.

It happened to me, too, but it didn't kill my officer inside the base. It did wipe out everyone outside but they respawned after a while. This happened several times at all bases, not just the main base, but all the destroyed units respawned. I thought it was actually cool, but of course, I didn't loose important characters.

The main officer is still alive, just the Pilot and the ammo bloke.

(the medic is dead too, but his tent is still standing).

It was kinda cool, to see that things are happening with out me being there, I was just concerned that they may stay dead, with the options still available.

OK, i'll wait and see if they come back.

I'm in the middle of a rather difficult infantry ambush right now, so I’ll see if they come back when I return.

Quote[/b] ]OK, after resolving my little issue it's on with mission;

Do tell...

Quote[/b] ]This can't be helped, but the characters stayed dead, whilst the actions of 'rearm' and 'choose LZ' where still available (from corpses )

Oops, another thing to add to the list... Although I'm respawning all the dudes around the base I'm not respawning the important units.

Quote[/b] ]Or, a more drestic method, when the player and his team moves 'xxx' meters away, spawn a few Vulcans around the HQ buildings and tents, then remove them when the player returns??

Not keen on that, sorry. It goes against what I'm trying to build up in this mission, I'll just respawn the dead units.

Which leads me onto the changes that I've made in the last few days: After an attack the base mission, that location will become a West base with support units spawning there. I've also added a new mission where the enemy will attack these satellite bases. What I'm thinking about doing is then giving the player the option of going back to these bases to end mission, get some ammo and and get some recruits instead of having to go back to the main base all the time. Any opinions on this?

I'm also finishing off a little training mission that allows you to try the infantry control before the POW mission.

Cheers

Quote[/b] ]OK, after resolving my little issue it's on with mission;

Do tell...

I edited a previous post, here it is;

Sorted it. The game I was playing was a 'resumed' game, after removing the add on.  I guess it's possible the addons scripts are stored some how and where still running.

Odd really,  but it works now. confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Or, a more drestic method, when the player and his team moves 'xxx' meters away, spawn a few Vulcans around the HQ buildings and tents, then remove them when the player returns??

Not keen on that, sorry. It goes against what I'm trying to build up in this mission, I'll just respawn the dead units.

Thats cool, i didn't much like this idea either, just brain storming.

Quote[/b] ]

the option of going back to [satellite bases]to end mission, get some ammo and and get some recruits instead of having to go back to the main base all the time. Any opinions on this?

Yes, i think is a great idea, i was thinking the exact same thing.

Quote[/b] ]

I'm also finishing off a little training mission that allows you to try the infantry control before the POW mission.

Yup, I like this too.

Along another not, have you locked the file or something?  I've tried to unpack with PBO Decryptor v15, but it wont work..? (lazy as i am, i was going to add a 5ton at the air port so i dont have to walk to the base! Some soundFX. As well as study and learn from your coding genuis notworthy.gif)

Keep up the good work boss. and thanks for keeping SP alive for me.

@stegman

Quote[/b] ]Odd really, but it works now.

That's the main thing. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Thats cool, i didn't much like this idea either, just brain storming.

No problem mate, bring them on. This whole mission is one brain storm (or maybe brain-fart!wink_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Along another not, have you locked the file or something?

Nope, not intentionally anyway. I have someone's (Kegety?) pbo-creator/decrypter installed and made the pbo that way. I could host a non-pbo version if that helps? Not too sure how easy it will be following what I've done, I struggle at times and have opened older scripts recently and thought "why the hell did I do it that way?". tounge2.gif

@froggyman

Quote[/b] ]Love the takeover base+options idea!

I've just got to try and work out how to do it now. tounge2.gif

Cheers

Like the idea of the forward bases, be good to have to have some sort of mission in which they get overun and you have not much ammo then perhaps have to retreat back to the main base evading the enemy on the way etc.

Which leads me onto the changes that I've made in the last few days: After an attack the base mission, that location will become a West base with support units spawning there. I've also added a new mission where the enemy will attack these satellite bases. What I'm thinking about doing is then giving the player the option of going back to these bases to end mission, get some ammo and and get some recruits instead of having to go back to the main base all the time. Any opinions on this?

That sounds seriously cool.

Just to let you know I'm having a fantastic time with Dynamic War... Great job... I posted some screens and thoughts HERE...

Thanks a bunch!

BeachAV8R

Quote[/b] ]Along another not, have you locked the file or something? I've tried to unpack with PBO Decryptor v15, but it wont work..?

Stegman,

Just dl cpbo or PBO View, or both as I did. They can extract the .pbo for you. They are tiny programs and, actually, I've found both to be useful beyond what I initially thought the programs were capable of.

If you already know about both of these and mentioned them in a post, then my apologies for missing that. I'm so damn tired right now my eyes are half open.... But damn it, I'm hell bent on givin' at least a little feedback on the few sentences I "think" read properly.

God Damn trying to read and reply while half asleep is a blast! But shit this is taking forever. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Mr N,

Forgive me. My intention was to provide some quality feedback/suggestions but sleep kicked my ass. Gimme 5-7 hours and I'll make the Edit. My fault bud.

goodnight.gifgoodnight.gif

goodnight.gifgoodnight.gif

Quote[/b] ]Along another not, have you locked the file or something?  

Nope, not intentionally anyway. I have someone's (Kegety?) pbo-creator/decrypter installed and made the pbo that way. I could host a non-pbo version if that helps? Not too sure how easy it will be following what I've done, I struggle at times and have opened older scripts recently and thought "why the hell did I do it that way?". tounge2.gif

and;

Just dl cpbo or PBO View, or both as I did. They can extract the .pbo for you. They are tiny programs and, actually, I've found both to be useful beyond what I initially thought the programs were capable of.

Thanks guys, would have replied sooner but my ISP went AWOL! mad_o.gif

OK, I knew about cpbo, but i couldntget it to work properly..So i got PBO view and that work.

Thanks Mr. N for offering, and thanks tired froggyman for you advice.

I've unpacked it, now i'll add some sfx etc to my own liking. i wont alter the code (don't know how too! lol).

I'll keep playing/testing if you keep fixing. wink_o.gif

@colligpip

Quote[/b] ]Like the idea of the forward bases, be good to have to have some sort of mission in which they get overun and you have not much ammo then perhaps have to retreat back to the main base evading the enemy on the way etc.

It gets pretty hectic, I'll tell ya wink_o.gif

@BeachAV8R

thumbs-up.gif

Thanks mate, good read there. I love seeing these AAR's and it helps immensely from my point of view because I get a bit more insight to how it's played. Example: the Outpost mission, when I'm testing I find this one to be a pain but it's good to see that not firing a shot can still be as interesting as an all-out balls to the wall firefight.

@stegman

Quote[/b] ]I'll keep playing/testing if you keep fixing

Or just creating new problems. wink_o.gif

I've got the base capture stuff working ok and the spawning of units from these locations but I'm not quite sure how to deal with the "back at base" options. I've tried spawning the same number of dudes and using tents but there's a good chance these will be crushed when the armour gets spawned there and there isn't enough space to spawn 5 tents most of the time. Much as I can see the benefit I can't be bothered to look at every base and place game logics to spawn units accurately in buildings, so I need a solution.

The getting of missions can be done with a static radio, I can spawn an ammocrate for the rearming, but I can't think of what to replace the pilot and medic with. Any suggestions?

Cheers

The getting of missions can be done with a static radio, I can spawn an ammocrate for the rearming, but I can't think of what to replace the pilot and medic with. Any suggestions?

How about a locked ammo truck, a locked M113 ambulance and you can get the pilot from the radio.  The Blackhawk can spawn at HQ, fly to your possition and pick you up...

OR as your at a satalte base, have everything controled by radio. You have to call for troops and helis from HQ, ammo from air drop and add the Rearm option to the ammo crates.  This might add tension, waitng for back up etc...

Quote[/b] ]How about a locked ammo truck, a locked M113 ambulance and you can get the pilot from the radio. The Blackhawk can spawn at HQ, fly to your possition and pick you up...

OR as your at a satalte base, have everything controled by radio. You have to call for troops and helis from HQ, ammo from air drop and add the Rearm option to the ammo crates. This might add tension, waitng for back up etc...

Thanks dude, that's got me thinking.

Problem is, again space and they could well blow up if any enemy are about or if a tank gets destroyed near them.

Maybe as a satellite base you can rearm, call another mission, call transport but you need to go back to the main base to get some new recruits....or I could paradrop them in.

All of this means I've got to re-write the bloomin helo scripts again though. banghead.gif

Cheers

smile_o.gif