Sign in to follow this  
mrn

Dynamic War

Hi there!

I love that mission, I play it over and over again lol. However, I have sort of a request: I think the scenario in this mission fits perfectly for the RACS, even more so the one on United Sahrani, which has kind of a COIN ops feeling to it, so I tried to adapt the mission with racs units several times, but each time I failed, either the units still spawn as US soldiers, or, when using the DAC variant and getting my team to actualy be on racs side, the US soldiers open fire at me and all that stuff,

it dawned on me, that even after all those months of trying to understand how mission making and scripting works, it still remains something mysterious and cryptic to me, so to cut a long story short:

could you consider making a Racs version of that mission? or if there's anyone who successfully adapted the mission, would you be so kind to share it?:help:

hello there Mr N and fellow thread readers.

Before my old vid card blew I had pretty much given up on ARMA1 due to awful FPS, but now after buying a dirt cheap but somehow fantastically faster card and with the release of ACE I had found myself sucked back into ARMA, and for SP this mission in particular.

Unfortunatly I have now been captured body and soul by ARMA2.

Here it comes....

Any chance of a conversion, Mr N? :)

Before you rip your hair out and start throwing things at me, I understand that, through various correspondences we've had in the past that the mission is complex and sometimes mystical in its scripting and to do a direct port may prove too much for man or beast, but have you thought of a similar dynamic mish for Arma2?

After playing the latest release of DynaWar it's great to see how much it has improved and been refined and for me at least is almost exactly "what the doctor ordered".

And as I find myself more in A2 rather than A1 even with all its bugs features Im dearly hoping you can magic something up for us.

Let us know your thoughts on the future of this campaign.

Rgds

L

PS

@ FLv*VeNoM*

I am sure I have disscused RACS vers etc with Mr N on these or old forums and will try and dig up the reasons why a version hasn't appeared, unless of course he gets there first. :)

Edited by orlok

Hello.

@ FLv*VeNoM*

Sorry for not replying. The main reason for not doing a Racs version is it doesn't really offer anything different to what's already there. You could try a replacement pack if you wanted to play with some different units.http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=addon_repl_pack. Changing all the scripts to Racs is possible but not something I want to put time into, sorry dude. However, if I get anywhere with it the AA2 version will be resistance based.

@Orlok

Well, it had to be someone!

Good to hear you've tried the latest version, felt like I had to do one last tidy up and polish before AA2 came out.

I too have ArmaII and am hooked, it doesn't feel like a sequel to Arma it feels like a sequel to OFP.:yay:

What I don't want to do is a straight AA2 port of DynaWar, bit boring and also part of the reason the Arma version was so complicated is that's the way it evolved. Knowing what I do now I think it could simpler to edit so I'm re-writing the scripts completely.

I'm rolling around a few ideas about what the mission is going to be about. I only managed yesterday to get some troops spawning then doing what I want them to do and getting objectives in the briefing. It's still early days though as some of the new stuff isn't fully documented yet in ArmaII, it does appear that it's more fussy about how commands are used and it has an annoying habit of not outputting any error messages so when something doesn't work I'm feeling around in the dark as to why. However these new-fangled modules do look like they would make life easier for a dynamic mission, indeed I think that with a few modules and some configurating you can create your own mission reasonably quickly.

My initial idea so far is more along the lines of FLv*VeNoM* wanted, a resistance/guerilla campaign. So, ammo has to be collected, equipment has to be stolen, new recruits have to be obtained, missions will be more hit and run to begin with etc etc.

That's the theory anyway! When I've got something half playable I'll post in the Arma2 section and do some beta testing like before but it may be a while off yet.

Cheers

:)

hello all

Excellent stuff!

Bagsy First Dibs for Alpha/beta testing!

The Geurilla stuff sounds interesting, much more OFP Resistance feeling to it.

As usual got a few ideas, so when you start, whack up a thread in the Arma2 bit.

Looking forward to it.

rgds

LoK

Hello there,

I sent a bunch of feedback to you about the new mish, but my PM is playing up. sent me a test PM when you can.

Ive had a few PMs from me to mods go astray so I wonder if you got em.

Rgds

LoK

I loved the old dynamic missions back in OFP and this is pretty sweet. Great work!

Thanks!

Edited by ardvarkdb

I thought you said you were done with all this scripting malarkey? ;)

I’m so sorry I never got around to creating documentation for the original ..i'm just lazy, you know that right? Plus each time i fired up the mission for 'research' i'd just end up playing it! for hours!!

So, this new version will be like OFP: Resistance v2 then eh?

Sounds mega!

Count me in!

And here are some concepts. I’ll through some at you and see what sticks.

Recruiting personal; you need to go into a town and set up a recruitment office...or something.

Then come back a few hours or so later. People will only join if their tolerance level is low.

But beware of sympathisers who might rat you out and call the local militia to ambush you next time you come to town! :o

IEDs: You have to plant some IEDs along the MSR. I know your not the badies, but definitions get sketchy when your killing people right?

Plant timed or bombs and stuff along a previously reconed MSR(Main Supply Route) or in an enemy town. (guess youd have to find a way of dressing as a civilian and not being shot at unless you pull a gun but..)

Coop: Not sure if you’re interested in this sort of thing, I know you’re a SP kind of guy, but ARMA2's main campaign is also a 4 player coop.

I wonder if a single mission can work the same way?? if not sure you could make it two missions (like a proper 'mission' instead of an intro movie that exits and starts the second, main mission..?)

It could then be made into a small scale MP? I’m not talking like a huge warfare or CTI style thing here, just a small 3 or 4 player thing (so you won’t get Rambo types etc..)

Anyhoot, fab to see you back. This is gonna be cracking! :yay:

Edited by stegman

Looks like this thread might be dead due to RL commitments :(

But just in case it isn’t...i unpacked the Warfare.pbo the other day and found several example missions. Some of them are the resistance fighters Vs the Russians with US in the traditional 'resistance' role (occupying neutral towns).

This twist of warfare has made me hope even more for DynaMish 2 to be created.

Is there any progress on it, oh wise Mr Nasty?

Hello Steggy

Not dead, R/L does get in the way particularly when you're self employed. Editing games don't pay the bills!

Here is the thread which is more a placeholder for when I pull my finger out.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80020

I have got a half assed attempt at a mission but the problems are many at the moment:

1) Real Life

2) When I first started documentation on the new commands was sparse

3) Things are quite different in the new game (again) so lots to learn

4) Ran out of motivation

5) The island is too big for my purposes

And so on.

I can't be faffed running beta's so when there's a new patch I'll have a peak and see what's occuring.

@Mr N,

Your ARMA II mission sounds ambitious. I finally found how to get Dynawar to play butter smooth with no lag at the beginning of missions, I load all the environment files plus the mapfact file onto a ramdisk. Dynawar never played better. I also use the Warmod. The Warmod tweaks with your Dynawar makes for some really challenging SP missions. I hadn't played with ARMA for about 7 months or so. I read about Ramdisks and decided to give it a try. It works a treat! for ARMA and it's endlessly streaming world.

Great work! If I ever get ARMA II, I'll be checking in to see if you have your mission ready!

Regards!

MrN, it's worth trying the betas, some of them (the few I tried) in general made the game noticably better.

Salindawg, good to see you back!

My initial plans were too ambitious for the ArmaII version, biting off more than I can chew is a cliche that springs to mind. I've gone back to basics with it now on a different island and am just concerned with getting something up and running.

xxbbcc, since writing that last post I've had to reinstall Vista due to the black screen of death and reinstalled ArmaII. I then remembered that with OFP and Arma some of the best patches were beta for months so I better pull my finger out and try them. Currently running 60896 and if I may use this :yay: I agree the beta's are a significant improvement!

Glad to hear that :) I'm looking forward to more missions from you - I really liked this one

Let me know if you need testing help with anything - things are back to normal for the time being, so I have a bit of free time to play the game again

its realy good but i have one huge problem when i start the game i get my first mission and its patrol so i locking at map and i see thet the patroling is north at sea!?

its realy good but i have one huge problem when i start the game i get my first mission and its patrol so i locking at map and i see thet the patroling is north at sea!?

Hello, this is normally caused by a third party sandbag addon. Remove this and should be well.

Cheers

I think it was the RAE sandbag fix, released ages ago so Ai would fire over sandbags. One of the patches for Arma fixed that issue so it's no longer required.

Have you tried running this mission with no additional addons except the required ones?

...sandbag addon

I had no end of problems with that addon.

i thnk it might have been the shortest lived addon on my pc! :D

works thx man

No worries.

I had no end of problems with that addon.

Me too. ;)

Any new updates?

Either to DynaWar for ArmA 1 or your new project for ArmA 2?

DynaWar is the reason I am still playing ArmA 1 rather than ArmA 2.

The dynamicity gives it a longevity surpassing most, if not all commercial FPS games I have played in a long time.

Unfortunately it seems most FPS games nowadays trusts multiplayer mode to provide longevity instead of creating proper full single player modes.

I thank you very much for providing a remedy to this problem and hope professional game studios will learn from you.

Hello b9AcE

Any new updates?

In a word, no! :)

I've been busy trying to earn a living so games are a low priority.

There was an update to the ArmaII mission I was tinkering with but as I got no replies on the thread I've assumed people have moved onto something else.

DynaWar is the reason I am still playing ArmA 1 rather than ArmA 2.

The dynamicity gives it a longevity surpassing most, if not all commercial FPS games I have played in a long time.

Unfortunately it seems most FPS games nowadays trusts multiplayer mode to provide longevity instead of creating proper full single player modes.

I thank you very much for providing a remedy to this problem and hope professional game studios will learn from you.

That's good to hear...I must have put hundreds of hours into that mission so it's always nice to know that it has some replayability. I may go back to this version but I did boot it up and try it quickly and got reminded of how much like hard work it was and since going self-employed I have to be more disciplined where my time goes, which isn't on editing games unfortunately. I'd rather spend free time on enjoying what I'm doing with the game.

Thanks for the message.

Hi guys, I'm loving Dyna War so much and I've been having a ton of fun playing. It's really well built mod and I can see the time you spent on all of it.

I installed a skin mod Fidelis Marines, and it changes all of the uniforms to MARPAT camouflage. It changes the uniforms of the men in Dyna War except the medic it seems. He still has the stock game uniform. I checked in the Armory and the Medic (WOL) has the right uniform but I assume Dyna War isn't selecting that particular medic model for the missions. Is there anyway to change this? Its kinda glaring when the entire squad is wearing MARPAT but one doofus is wearing some thing else.

All of the Marine Corps skin mods over at ARMAHOLIC seem to have this problem and I'm trying to find ones that replace all of the characters in DynaWar but to no success. I'm not sure if this is a DynaWar problem of a skinner's problem. Thanks for all the help

EDIT-FIXED

Edited by splintercell275
fixed problem.

I've been having a blast with Dynamic War for a long while now. Recently while i've been playing the game, it crashes in odd spots. It seems to be random in any situation such as getting off a helicopter, walking around, or back at the base.

I think the savegame might've gotten too big or the number of variables are just too much for ARMA. I'm running SLX mod right now with some effects canceled.

Any suggestion on how to fix the random crashes?