Sign in to follow this  
william1

Arma , the ultimate driving simulator

i've got the game recently but one of the things i like most of Arma is the reallistic feeeling it has to drive a car by the islands , it as good as the best driving simulator out there . in fact i enjoy driving so much as fighting Lol biggrin_o.gif . now i don't need to go on hollidays anymore , i can have virtual hollidays in Arma , all we need is some beautiful girls in bikini for the beaches and a car with FM radio !

I want to modified car handling coz I dont wanna to buy Test Drive Unlimited . ArmA island is already more better place to cruising all around.

biggrin_o.gif lol

Now it's true that the 'improved' vehicle behaviour and beautiful scenery makes for a great trip across the island.

I just have to convince my girlfriend that we can visit Paraiso for the next vacations wink_o.gif

Malick

my only problem with driving the humvees is they seem a little weak when say your sideways on a hill and you want to turn the way to go up it. Other than that its pretty nice.

Only two additions I would love to see are a working FM Radio and not as community add-on but from BIS, so we can have some in dept radio on. English-Spanish type commercials for banana's and such wink_o.gif (community might be able, but most don't focus on fictional stuff)

AND

working car mirrors thumbs-up.gif

Cruising on Saharani is fun.

But what I always hate is when my car just touches a wall or something the tire instantly oxidises, even the rubber, rendering the whole car unusable.

Cruising on Saharani is fun.

But what I always hate is when my car just touches a wall or something the tire instantly oxidises, even the rubber, rendering the whole car unusable.

This is the things that disapointed me coz there is no any differences from OFP. IRL almost never ur car tires will not puncture when u hit in small speed to some barrier. The problem with reversing with cars is lack of mirrors so u cant not see to ur back without use 3rd camera, in many multiplayer server that is one of the most accident killing way.

Maybe adding a "view back" key (as long as pressed only) and function that switches on a second viewport that is making you look back in vehicles would be a good idea for the wishlist. I´m sure it would look strange in some vehicles as tanks or planes as a 180 switch of view would sometimes only make you look at solid metal but for cars and open trucks it would be a nice feature.

i've got the game recently but one of the things i like most of Arma is the reallistic feeeling it has to drive a car  by the islands , it as good as the best driving simulator out there . in fact i enjoy driving so much as fighting Lol  biggrin_o.gif  . now i don't need to go on hollidays anymore , i can have virtual hollidays in Arma , all we need is some beautiful girls in bikini for the beaches and a car with FM radio !

Driving around Sahrani is a thrill. Driving around Sahrani with friends is much better. My ArmA offroad club has spend many hours cruising round the island looking for hills to climb.

wheelienm3.jpg

it as good as the best driving simulator out there

This must be a joke, right?

The wheeled vehicles are not realistically simulated. My guess is that the forces acting in a car's ground contact points are not simulated anywhere near to how they are in real cars, the cars are just turned around their principal vertical axis to simulate the turning. This makes it so that the car appears to slide on the ground when in reality that would not be the case. That's what disturbs me somewhat but this is not a driving simulation so I accept this. Maybe it is made so that it is easier to turn the car around in tight places like between buildings, or to fit better a console controller.

My guess is that you mean more of the experience of going along a road and seeing the landscape and not about how technically correct the car is simulated. The sceneries can be quite nice (for a game) that is true.

The actual "driving physics" leave a very great deal to

be desired, but it is fun to get an AI to drive and take a

sightseeing tour of the island.

I too like the physics of driving. oxidizing wheels are a tad strange though lol I think i preferred the flat wheel in OFP. However, its nice to have the chronic over-steer in the 5ton US truck now, get that baby moving fast round a corner and she ain't stopping smile_o.gif

it as good as the best driving simulator out there

This must be a joke, right?

The wheeled vehicles are not realistically simulated. My guess is that the forces acting in a car's ground contact points are not simulated anywhere near to how they are in real cars, the cars are just turned around their principal vertical axis to simulate the turning. This makes it so that the car appears to slide on the ground when in reality that would not be the case. That's what disturbs me somewhat but this is not a driving simulation so I accept this. Maybe it is made so that it is easier to turn the car around in tight places like between buildings, or to fit better a console controller.

My guess is that you mean more of the experience of going along a road and seeing the landscape and not about how technically correct the car is simulated. The sceneries can be quite nice (for a game) that is true.

Why does everybody bring consoles and their controlers into this? Games do not have to be dumbed down for consoles. This is the problem, its a vicious circle.

The devs see "Oooh, console games must all have dumb controls and shitty small levels because their controlers are easy to use and their hardware is as good as my microwave! (Witch isn't true, the X360 is pretty powerful), Their players don't like realistic things! BlahBlah!" So they make them that way, then you all moan about it and the devs take it as what console gamers want.

I wish I could afford some kind of ex-NASA super computer to play all the latest games, but I can't, I bought a 360, thinking "Well maybe all my favourate PC games will be on here". Well they are, but compare them to their PC brothers, the console games look like they were made for three year olds crazy_o.gif .

Anyway that was off-topic. I'm just getting pissed at all these idiots who are all "ub3r-1337 PC h4x0rz" who are just annoyed cause they can't cheat on consoles online as easily as on the PC. And don't say HALO2 after this cause that game is an arcadey, easy to cheat on peice of crap and is the worst example of a game you could ever think of.

How close to OFP are the driving physics in ArmA? Way improoved? The same? OFP Physics kind of sucked when it came to driving...

As far as I can tell the driving physics are near identical to OFP, which is a bit of a shame as they were not too great confused_o.gif

i've got the game recently but one of the things i like most of Arma is the reallistic feeeling it has to drive a car by the islands , it as good as the best driving simulator out there . in fact i enjoy driving so much as fighting Lol biggrin_o.gif . now i don't need to go on hollidays anymore , i can have virtual hollidays in Arma , all we need is some beautiful girls in bikini for the beaches and a car with FM radio !

Driving is improved but the best driving simulator... crazy_o.gif

You probably never played GTR2, that's the most realistic driving simulator imo (by far) and trackIR supported btw.

btw, about the motorcycles:

I would like to see the possibility to pull your motorcyle up & down with the joystick with the appropriate animation (for controlled wheelies you know smile_o.gif )

Is that possible BIS?

And I thought Armed Assault was a military simulator  icon_rolleyes.gif

Widen your horizons. ArmA's also just a simulator, an island simulator. You're ceating yourself of some damn funny, but also just nice moments. Cruising Sahrani in a safe pace, with friends in a couple of 4x4 Coyotas.

anyone elses dirtbike go really slow offroad? i never even tried it on the street

I'm just getting pissed at all these idiots who are all "ub3r-1337 PC h4x0rz" who are just annoyed cause they can't cheat on consoles online as easily as on the PC.

Hi

Please don't even try to drag me into that fight, I am really not interested.

If you interpreted my post as some kind of an attack against consoles or console players then you got it completely wrong.

Best Regards,

Baddo.

The worst thing about the driving in ArmA ATM IMO is that CLUNK CLUNK gear change!  biggrin_o.gif  If my Land Rover had a gear change that sounded like that I would get it sorted pretty quickly!  tounge2.gif

I must add that the sound of the UAZ has improved compared to OFP - it is now closer to what it is in real life. The sound I mean is the sound that comes from the transmission and everything that is between it and the wheels (can't now come up with the correct term in English, transmission line or something like that probably). Can be quite high sound and for sure not comfortable to listen to it on a longer journey. I were lucky to drive a ZIL-131 (Ural's close family member) most of the time, where the noise in the cabin was not as annoying but much softer.

I must add that the sound of the UAZ has improved compared to OFP - it is now closer to what it is in real life....

That's probably because it has an agricultural transmission (spur gears) as opposed to helical gears as found on most modern vehicles. However, I still think that the gear change in first person view is very annoying!  tounge2.gif  CLUNK clunk CLUNK! WTF!!!  biggrin_o.gif

i think the damage that civie cars and maybe the other cars take when bumbing in slowly into a wall or rock is a bit too hard still like in ofp but the car handling feels more fun cause now cars can actually slide and glide or whatever its called thumbs-up.gif

so i think cars in Arma is 50% better than in ofp but also that you can have the lights on while not inside the car is a big improvement imo... inlove.gif makes for intresting lightning fx and realistic settings where patrol car can be emtpy and lights still on while the patrol is out chasing some enemies while i steal the car tounge2.gif

I think someone should make some drifting cars for this game smile_o.gif

for some long distance drifting in the country.