Sign in to follow this  
kroky

official complaint to BIS

for a game released too soon, i personally see that MOST of the new features ArmA could offer are kept for virtual battle space 2.

Not exactly nice from BIS...

Finnaly an original gripe!

Its not exactly original. People have been bitching about not getting VBS1 features since the day it was announced publically (thats VBS1, like 3-4 years ago).

Rather than get bogged down into some mud flinging that I've no hope of wining, I'll put it this way:

Don't gripe about the features in VBS2 which we don't get in ArmA, that is unless you're willing to front ~$1 million US for the development costs (theres an article on the interwebs somewhere which outlines the contract that the USMC has agreed with BIA to develop VBS2 for them). If you are willing to front that cash, then moan away. If not, which I suspect 100% of people on this forum are, then look at it this way:

Without VBS2, and its seperate development cycle none of these fancy features would even exist. So forget about them. As I understand it, most of that stuff is developed by BIA using USMC and ADF money, so why SHOULD it filter back to us gamers?

nice deadmeat, however i just think that it get to the point where some features that could actually benefit to mission makers, AKA a better editor are reserved to VBS2 , just because vbs2 need to have more features to justify it's price. It just come to a point where we have vbs2 wich is close to what fans would want as flashpoint 2, and ArmA wich is vbs2 stripped down enough to make a big difference enough when someone put them aside.

Of course the functions that are really focused on Army training we don't need , but ... building destruction, editor... armour simulation... come on.

nice deadmeat, however i just find think that it get to the point where some features that could actually benefit to mission makers, AKA a better editor are reserved to VBS2 , just because vbs2 need to have more features to justify it's price. It just come to a point where we have vbs2 wich is close to what fans would want as flashpoint 2, and ArmA wich is vbs2 stripped down enough to make a big difference enough when someone put them aside.

Of course the functions that are really focused on Army training we don't need , but ... building destruction, editor... armour simulation... come on.

Its not about "adding features" to justify the price. The price is justified by the market its aimed at, the way its sold and the way its developed.

Lets face it if no one knew about VBS, it wouldn't be doing anyone any "harm". Since ignorance is bliss, if we didnt know about VBS "we" wouldn't:

* complain about the price (its not aimed at nor marketed towards gamers, just because joe public is able to buy it doesnt mean they SHOULD)

* complain about the extra features it has.

* complain that its delaying other development at BI.

just to use a few examples from around these forums.

The grass is always greener I suppose.

Personally I love the game and since I'm no war vet (only spent 6 months in the Canadian Military) I can't speak to aircraft control accuracy, sounds, ballstics or what have you.

I think BI did a great job with this game and look forward to the more major issues being resolved either by BI and/or future driver releases to current hardware.

My main issue is this:

[im]http://www.gamemoviemaking.com/images/misc/screens/armor_low.jpg[/img]>100kb

armor1.jpg

armor2.jpg

Before you respond, yes I am using the latest drivers for my x1900GT and yes the issues were there on the previous driver versions.

In fact, all my hardware is up to date (drivers) as this is a new rig little over 2 months old:

- Intel Conroe E6600 2.4 GHz Core 2 w/1066 FSB

- ATI Radeon X1900GT w/256 MB DDR3

- 2 x 1 GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR2 @ 667 MHz

- 2 x Seagate Raptor 320 GB SATAII Hard Drives

- Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS

I can usually mimimize the issues with restarting but it still pops up now and again.

BTW, I'm not looking for support just trying to show some of you who are whining about unrealistic sounds, textures, animations, etc., to consider there is a bigger picture out there for some of us.

Regards,

Ken

BTW, I apologize if the images are too large. If this becomes an issue then just say the word and I'll resize them.

Thanks.

BTW, I apologize if the images are too large. If this becomes an issue then just say the word and I'll resize them.

Thanks.

The first one is too big by about 50kb. Might want to resize that one.

Quote[/b] ]Without VBS2, and its seperate development cycle none of these fancy features would even exist. So forget about them. As I understand it, most of that stuff is developed by BIA using USMC and ADF money, so why SHOULD it filter back to us gamers?

Then again you could also argue why stuff that was modded by the community in OFP should filter into VBS1 like it did, it works both ways that each have and will hopefully continue to help develop all platforms over time, and hopefully give a leg-up for the moder that would like to gain the experience good or bad with working on a professionally based project.

Personally I love the game and since I'm no war vet (only spent 6 months in the Canadian Military) I can't speak to aircraft control accuracy, sounds, ballstics or what have you.

I think BI did a great job with this game and look forward to the more major issues being resolved either by BI and/or future driver releases to current hardware.

My main issue is this:

[imghttp://www.gamemoviemaking.com/images/misc/screens/armor.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://www.gamemoviemaking.com/images/misc/screens/armor1.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://www.gamemoviemaking.com/images/misc/screens/armor2.jpg[/img]

Before you respond, yes I am using the latest drivers for my x1900GT and yes the issues were there on the previous driver versions.

In fact, all my hardware is up to date (drivers) as this is a new rig little over 2 months old:

- Intel Conroe E6600 2.4 GHz Core 2 w/1066 FSB

- ATI Radeon X1900GT w/256 MB DDR3

- 2 x 1 GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR2 @ 667 MHz

- 2 x Seagate Raptor 320 GB SATAII Hard Drives

- Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS

I can usually mimimize the issues with restarting but it still pops up now and again.

BTW, I'm not looking for support just trying to show some of you who are whining about unrealistic sounds, textures, animations, etc., to consider there is a bigger picture out there for some of us.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks.

Looks to me your video card is possibly overheating.

About the VBS2 features not in ArmA thing......well, my take is that it's because ArmA is the old engine, but even if thats not the case, BIS probably don't want to give us everything right now or just don't have the time to.

BUT I'm very hopeful that Game2 will include a lot of this stuff and really push the boundaries on this kind of game. notworthy.gif

I'm not really concerned with whats in VBS2 or "Game 2." I'm concerned with whats NOT in, and what's wrong with ArmedA.

I have not paid for VBS2 or "Game 2." I HAVE paid money for ArmedA.

I am stupified by this "Cold War Rearmed" thing. Rather than encourage the community to help fix and add elements to ArmedA, they asked to import the old campaign...?

Wouldn't time be better spent bringing the community together to create NEW content instead of converting and debugging OLD content. Hello BIS PR department!?

Sounds like they want the community to import all the stuff from OFP thats missing in ArmedA for them while they work out the bugs.

So in other words I waitied 5 years and bought a buggy game missing alot of vehicles only to be asked to create playble content for the game?

Looks to me your video card is possibly overheating.

It is only an issue with this game as no others give me any kind of graphical abnormalities and I play plenty of games at much higher resolution for extended periods of time than ArmA such as:

- Half Life 2 + Expansions

- Doom 3/ROE

- IL 2 FB, AEP, BOE, PF

- BF Series

- CoD 2

- ToCA 3

…and my daughter plays:

- The Sims 2 + Every Expansion Imaginable

- Black and White 2 (well, I play it too, lol)

...it even seems to run Oblivion well and Company of Heroes even though I'm not crazy about either of these games.

I'm 99.9% sure it's something to do either with ArmA or my drivers for the Radeon. I've also posted the worst images of the lot just as an example; the game is not always like this.

I did put the computer together myself and I'm pretty sure it's working just fine. The case is well ventilated with over 10 fans (yes 10, all directional, "wind tunnel") with an input fan dedicated to the video card alone (which has reduced temp. under load by 5 degrees). The power supply is an Antec NEO HE 550 Watt (504 sustained) so it should be enough to handle the system requirements.

As for the card, it's really hard to say what constitutes overheating with this card anyway as it's known to be one of the hottest running cards on the market. Under continual load, it seems to get to around 86 degrees which is much better than the low 90's I was getting before installing this input fan by the card. Even at low to mid 90's I've never experienced an issue with any other game even after hours of playing.

These issues will also appear upon loading my first mission so the card hasn't even had time to experience load much less, sustained load.

A last word about overclocking. Even thought the card has an overclocking utility I refuse to use it. I've messed with it now and again out of morbid curiosity more than anything and all it introduces is instability. In most games overclocking only represents a minor FPS increase anyway (according to Fraps) so it's not worth the hassle because this system runs all recent titles pretty well to begin with.

Ken

Thanks.

The first one is too big by about 50kb. Might want to resize that one.

Done,

sorry.

Duke this is not the only time I have heard this complaint about that same card. Your not alone. And unfortuneately they have no real solution at this time. I let them know that others are having this issue so hopefully if they come up with anything they will pass it on.

Can't be just the card.

I'm not really concerned with whats in VBS2 or "Game 2." I'm concerned with whats NOT in, and what's wrong with ArmedA.

I have not paid for VBS2 or "Game 2." I HAVE paid money for ArmedA.

I am stupified by this "Cold War Rearmed" thing. Rather than encourage the community to help fix and add elements to ArmedA, they asked to import the old campaign...?

Wouldn't time be better spent bringing the community together to create NEW content instead of converting and debugging OLD content. Hello BIS PR department!?

Sounds like they want the community to import all the stuff from OFP thats missing in ArmedA for them while they work out the bugs.

So in other words I waitied 5 years and bought a buggy game missing alot of vehicles only to be asked to create playble content for the game?

Totally agree with you here.The whole 1985 thing is old news.Lets see some more modern content when it comes to campaigns and above all else BIS please fix whats broke first before you release more stuff!!!!.

Oh yea forgot to mention this before, but I think its worthy of a complaint.

What the hell is the M163 Vulcan Air Defense vehicle doing in this game!

That thing was deemed obsolete in the 1980's!

We have hummers, we have Stingers...Avenger Air Defense system anyone!?

Oh yea forgot to mention this before, but I think its worthy of a complaint.

What the hell is the M163 Vulcan Air Defense vehicle doing in this game!

That thing was deemed obsolete in the 1980's!  

We have hummers, we have Stingers...Avenger Air Defense system anyone!?

Just another like complaint that doesn't really affect overall gameplay. If you want the Avenger system, then mod it in when the tools come out.

But I hear ya! As a former Marine (1999-2006), I've become accustomed to seeing the Avenger and modern MANPAD systems. The Vulcan is looooong gone from the inventory. However, I will say this. ArmA is a engine with OFP mechanics and a few improvments in overall play.

Honestly, what did you expect?

Point taken Marine. And there I was keeping out of the mud, only to sink deep and fling some obscure rant...heh tounge2.gif

Can we have a forum for adults, please? smile_o.gif

Since this is the official complaint thread; I would like to take advantage of this gracious opportunity and throw my hat in the ring. Here they are:

1.) Where are the stear-able parachutes? (OFP has had them as a mod for 5 years)

2.) Why does AI not swim to a way-point if they are spawned or dropped into the water?

3.) Why do the RACS soldiers wear a 6 color chocolate chip desert camo when the majority of their country is green and lush?

4.) Why do the BLUFOR troops wear U.S. Army camo and yet use primarily U.S. Marine corps equipment?

5.) Why are we not able to customize our troops for missions? (I.e. select their uniforms, weapons, equipment, etc.)

6.) Why does the smoke on the camp fires look like its burning industrial waste instead of wood? (The smoke from normal wood-burning campfire is white, not black)

There is my short-list. Thanks for making ArmA and thanks for letting me point out my pet-peeves; I’m sure you guys will fix them soon enough.

I played OFP in the beginning and stopped almost a year and a half ago because of the complications involved in finding a satisfying multiplayer experience. This issue has been corrected but other's have been created in the space left behind. I have not purchased the game but rather my friend has and after playing the game for only 20 minutes, I can very easily say that I am disappointed. Operation Flashpoint was and continues to be a great game. Unfortunately, when I played Armed Assault, I felt like I had taken a step back and not forward. I definitely noticed the graphical update but I believe that not all of us played Operation Flashpoint or waited for Armed Assault for incredible graphics. They help, yes, but the gameplay was what drew the fans and helped to foster this community. Unfortunately, my experience on a dual core system with an expensive video card was plagued by bugs and crashes. In my twenty minutes of gameplay, the game itself crashed on me twice. Other members of this board have been able to play the game without running into problems but I'm reading more and more posts with other similar issues. The problem, as I see it, with Armed Assault is that the rewarding experience of actually enjoying the game is kept hidden behind a lackluster unintuitive interface and an array of very serious bugs. The key is to make the game easier to use so that players might actually enjoy the gameplay. Bohemia has created a fantastic game but they've made it difficult to realize that. They may want to think about postponing whatever releases they have pending so that they may actually correct the issues they already have. The hardcore fans will find a way to get a copy and will be patient enough to wait for the patches. I just want to make sure they don't push away possible fans because of these correctable issues...issues that should have been caught prior to release. I've waited patiently for the flashpoint follow up and simply want to see this community grow and the best way to make that happen is to make the game easy to use and not full of deal breaking bugs. Muzzle flashes and minor performance issues are not serious, they're irritating but gamers would play regardless. Crashes, looping sounds, incorrect sounds and a horrible interface are deal breakers and must be fixed so that we and eventually, new users, can enjoy the game.

for a game released too soon, i personally see that MOST of the new features ArmA could offer are kept for virtual battle space 2.

yep. if there is one thing (other than the flight model which is being fixed) it is the feeling of getting the short end of the stick on this.

hopefully BIS will realise the value and additions the community come up with and maximise their offering to the military by allowing the modding community to improve it like they've so far improved every aspect of OFP.

yep. if there is one thing (other than the flight model which is being fixed) it is the feeling of getting the short end of the stick on this.

hopefully BIS will realise the value and additions the community come up with and maximise their offering to the military by allowing the modding community to improve it like they've so far improved every aspect of OFP.

We're getting "the short end of the stick" because we're not fronting cash to have the features developed.

Rather than repeat myself, read this.

I am perfectly willing to be patient with ArmA and let it progress as OFP did. With that said I would be lying if I didn't say that I expected ArmA to include every great add-on innovation from the OFP MOD community, married to better graphics and tighter physics engine. I think that ArmA will indeed one day include all of these things but I, along with a sizable amount of others, were expecting these things "out of the box" considering how long B.I. had to work on ArmA. Please don't think of my statements as derogatory; I am simply stating my opinion and I recognise an opinion for what it is. smile_o.gif

...I think that ArmA will indeed one day include all of these things but I, along with a sizable amount of others, were expecting these things "out of the box" considering how long B.I. had to work on ArmA...

Quoting myself again (I seem to be doing that a lot at the moment...)

nearly 4 years to make...

To quote myself from another thread:

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Why does everyone automaticlly assume that ArmA development started the second BI was finished with OFP:R.

ArmA as we know it only really came into existance in late 2005, infact I'm more inclined to suggest that in its current state it probably didnt come into existance until early 2006.

Look at it like this: in mid 2005 (at E3 or whatever expo it was) BI announced ArmA. Look at the screenshots of ArmA back then, it was the OFP:E engine brought back to PC. Look at ArmA now, it's totally different and looks a bit like Game2 was starting to look like ~10 months ago. What can we deduce from this? We can deduce this: ArmA as it was when it was announced, is NOT the same ArmA as we have now. Therefore, ArmA we have now is <1 year old. Not bad when you consider the dev time for most other games (excluding the bullshit movie tie ins and all that other crap).