Sign in to follow this  
kroky

official complaint to BIS

Why is this loading happening when you get out of map screen it is totaly annoying!?

Got to agree - it so irritating.

I look at it this way.........it takes time when you pull out a map in real life. There is no "insta map viewing" biggrin_o.gif

I still think they should incorporate an animation for using the compass and map. If not an animation with hands, maybe something as simple as a closed compass/map, then after a delay it opens. Of course the map would take longer to open then the compass.

Why is this loading happening when you get out of map screen it is totaly annoying!?

Got to agree - it so irritating.

I look at it this way.........it takes time when you pull out a map in real life. There is no "insta map viewing" biggrin_o.gif

I still think they should incorporate an animation for using the compass and map. If not an animation with hands, maybe something as simple as a closed compass/map, then after a delay it opens. Of course the map would take longer to open then the compass.

It's kinda why pilots have kneeboards and copilots. Either way the loading of the map is clearly some kind of performance issue. BIS didn't do it to make the game more realistic or whatnot, they did it because they had to to get the game to run smoothly on the gamers' PCs.

If they could manage to have a 0 load time, it would be nice though.

I have been a member of this community for a long time and although I rarely post – I read a lot though – I think its time for me to say my peace. Let me also say that I have been playing video games from day one, starting with “Pongâ€, which is what? 30+ years ago? As you understand I am old enough to be a father to most here. I’ve owned Commodores, Ataris, Nintendos, Segas, Sonys… even Turbografix!! OFP shook my world. It was - and is - the game of games. I still play it today. I played all versions, all the mods, hundreds if not thousands of user made missions, made my own, played alone or with friends. Over the past 5 plus years I tried to play other games as well but got tired quickly, nothing compared. It’s only natural to say that I was expecting eagerly BIS to come up with a sequel that would equal or better OFP. ArmA seemed to promise just that. A note here, coming from a small country I was very proud that BIS made the big time. Their innovative idea and hard work is an inspiration to everyone, we don’t have to be in a large market, under the banner of a huge development company to make something significant, even Greece can take the Euro Cup! This is hope for all. The first game should have been more difficult to make, as all first things. The revenues from OFP – a best seller – should make the second game easier – better budget, more tools and more importantly, experience and steady feedback from a dedicated community. Is Arma better than OFP? This is the question we have to answer. We don’t have to act like football (soccer for our American friends) fans who see things unilaterally (one sided). We need to be objective. We all love the game and we all want BIS to succeed in this endeavor. Is ArmA better then? My opinion to this point is, No. The game is not up to par with OFP, period. It may get better but right now its not. Remember, it’s a “Gameâ€, we play it for fun. We shouldn’t have go to flight school to become pilots, nor to a training camp to become tank commanders, explosive experts, scuba divers or learn to skydive. It a game!! And this game handles weird. There are lots of bugs to be ironed out – and may be eventually, but one thing can’t change. Its made for rich people!! Maybe BIS wanted to avoid the trouble to redevelop the game for consoles and integrated a lot of console aspects in this version, maybe they wanted to take advantage of the best graphics cards and processors available today, whatever their aim those of us with slightly older machines are screwed. I have a P4 at 3.5GHz, GF6800 and 2Gb memory and have trouble with settings at Low and disabled. Should I buy a new, top of the line 3000 Euro/dollars computer to play ArmA? Not me.

So, is it possible to get an expansion pack – like red hammer was – for Resistance? That would keep me happy for a while, maybe until ArmA lands on earth and allows me to enjoy it as a Game.

Nice post Kronos. Really well developed, and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Well said kronos, i agree with you.

I think it is problem of whole gaming industry nowday as all new games and sequels of the games are screwed. I think publishers and console pushing from M$, and not so good software development of the gaming companies is mostly to blame for the situation.

M$ and GFX card developers are changing the standards to fast and are complicating things for developers trough this they want to force gamers to buy über rigs or to switch to consoles in which they are investing their money.

So the games are only postpooning the release dates or are released prematurelly without good ideas and full of bugs only to earn big $.

But world is like it is stupid! goodnight.gif

Wow I sure see alot of people making excuses for BIS.  The fact remains that the game was released as a product that many feel was sub-standard for sale.

We can keep guessing why and point blame to everyone other than those who sold it to us, but that gets us nowhere.

I personally would like to have faith that Armed Assault has a concrete future.  My faith in the abilities of the community remain strong, but the success or failure of Armed Assault as a game in the long run is not in our hands at this point.

What I would like is some no-BS answers from BIS.  They seem content to let others answer for them.  But I want to hear from the people who have my money.

Some direct answers would do far more for PR than searching for information and answers on threads like this.

In a few months when the game is patched so the worst bugs are out, noone will care about the state of the game in 1.00 anymore, noone will doubt the future of ArmA and everyone will be enjoying the game just like they enjoyed OFP.

Is the current situation elegant? No.

Do people who bought the game have the right to complain about it? Yes.

Would it be nice to hear more from BIS? Yes.

Will all get fixed if we're all just a bit patient? Yes.

So relax, take a beer and look forward to the things ahead.

BTW. I shouldn't be saying anything anyway cause I'm only got the free demo.

I truely hope you are correct.  But with nothing to ease my worries, I will have to just drink a beer and hope...

Is it playable in its current state? Yes. (except for those few who get an incredibly bad performance for some reasons)

I'm along with everyone else...I don't own the game..at least not yet..or maybe I won't ever. but having known people that bought the game and are extremely upset by its performance. I think it's only right that BIS get on these forums...or somewhere and make a statement about this game. I mean I have faith in the company and in the game.

Now I'm no expert in how BIS works or what they're policy..nor do I know much about market sales or any of that. but I'm pretty sure as more and more people read about these bugs..or experience these bugs, with nothing being said or done about them. Arma sales are going to drop dramatically for BIS, people are just going to go 'no, to hell with that they just want out money' and in turn they will tell others not to buy it. So their sales will drop...and in turn we won't get to enjoy Arma.

So I believe it is in both best in BIS' interest AND our interest to have some sort of official statement about what they plan to do, and explaining what HAPPENED to this game.

I dont know thats just my theory..please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now if it takes a giant petition to make them come out with a statement..well I'm in. I just want to be able to enjoy this game along with over 100+ clan members in the US and UK that I know.

I just pray they won't abandon their community as it would really be a shame...especially to the Czech and German players..I may be in the US..so nothing has affected me at all, but I truly don't find it fair for them.

I just don't understand why the reviews of the game..or previews talked about the bugs that are present in the game now? =\

and In writing this I don't mean to offend anyone..if I have I am sorry.

Or they could just say nothing and buy time until the US release, working hard to salvage the situation...

...and 2 weeks after the post, it would seem thats the "grand plan."  I guess when your up against it, you have more to gain by hushing the low points, and everyhting to lose by putting them in the spotlight.

However, if the US/UK release dose not go off spectacularly...(insert here.)

Complaining about performance is a little bit stupid. Could you run OFP like a dream on a vintage '99 computer? I am running ArmA with 2-3 year old parts and I know better than set graphics to full and agonize over the low fps. Better performance and graphics needs money if you want it as soon as possible. Consoles and macs are for people who don't like the idea of upgrading, PC gaming is an expensive hobby.

Was the game released in an acceptable state? No.

a thing about the AI:

sometimes they seem to be stupid and stuff, but an hour ago I experienced a situation I would never have been even imagined before!!

I tested on Ramahdi...had some sabouteurs and snipers in the town. I shot one enemy, then I went jumped for cover and watched what the AI will do.

so, I thought the run around and stuff, but they don't did. The went to cover, and one saboteur was coming my way. then I looked around, and suddenly the saboteur went back the way he was coming from, but left two "presents" (satchel charges).

I just thought: huh?

then: OH OH

I ran away and seconds later -> BOOOOM

I just thought: bloody hell!

so what I'm trying to say is, there are more vids about the situations where the ai acts "stupid" then about situations what the ai really can and stuff like that.

so, nice one BIS wink_o.gif

Can the same AI fly a helicopter with out nodding the nose up and down and then land it in a forest clearing without crashing into trees?

It's not 'nice one BIS'. You can have as many nice touches like them using satchel charges on you as you like, but while the AI are so badly flawed in so many BASIC areas, this game is not good enough.

BI is a very user friendly company - especially for kids. current Ai is good enough for them. (heh, i'd like to see how AI acts so realistic and tactically as they talking.) well, these "lot improved" old OFP's AI is flesh air for ppl just came from BF2 or other arcade games.

but still, there's a hope for us who wants the realistic Ai. i guess some of you guys have read the interview to the BIS, that said they are currently working to add some "editable AI feature" or somethin like that. if we could use it when 505 ver released, (sigh, i have to do it myself, again) we can make AI to do decent job at last.

What I would like is some no-BS answers from BIS.  They seem content to let others answer for them.  But I want to hear from the people who have my money.

BIS speak through patches, they've done so through OFP and also through ArmA. They've done so succesfully. Know your BIS history, or do a little research if you're new.

Some of you act like this is your very first time you buying a piece of software. Like you've made a major investment in something final. We're talking software, software is either a running development or stagnant abandomware.

You all know this is the game, you just need to come to terms with your own impatience. If you've haven't just joined the community, you know not only BIS will continue support, but they will make damn sure the community can it themselves.

My game is good, my AI is too. Sometimes the AI is great, throwing an unexpected curveball, sometimes it's a mess. sometimes it's amazing. So what if my AI can't automatically land in the tightest clearing. If you want if to land in that specific clearing, force it with a script. AI will always be more A than I, they might not be as smart as you, but they are never as retarded as some players. They never initiate teamkillings... but they do protect themselves against player TKers.

There's room for further support and improvement, but I'm either too old or too rich to get my panties in a bunch over a $50 piece of software. I knew exactly what I got and I like it.

Thank god these threads are confined to one board.

Quote[/b] ]I just pray they won't abandon their community
OFP is a testament to how much you can expect BIS to abandom ArmA. You don't have to pray, just browse these boards and see how OFP has evolved since 2001.

Do posing a questioin I answer myself make me appear more profound? ...Indeed.

All I can say is:

Give structured feedback and BIS will apply everything possible in their new patch. At the moment I have the feeling they are just waiting for the 505 release date and have a huge patch right away.

Patience my friends wink_o.gif

i am really angry. i cannot understand to release a game/demo which such obviously game problems... e.g.

- helicopter steering

- sound bugs

- hardware ressource probs

- flying objects that disappears

- AI problems

- collision problems (m136 / heat cannot kill an soldier)

- text chat problems caused by radion chat overlay

- server performance probs

- extreme time delay by pressing map "m"

- campaign mission ending probs and so on....

we are not talking about specific hardware probs (graphic driver, motherboard or something else).

it is not acceptable that the boss of BIS had not played the campaign by him self (because he cant finished it) or played it with 30 players by internet. (loading / connection time raised up to 6 minutes with 40 players).

I wonder if these issues could be fixed with a patch. I think that the whole game have to be re-programmed partly in general.

Why we need such a big island? 99,9% of all game modes (execpt cti) need only a local area. This is the same mistake that SSW had already made.

And the biggest insolence is the silence of BIS and to patch a demo but not the full game.

Nearly 2 month has gone but no official information has reached the community.

I can remember on several official previews made by BIS. "We are creating a huge combat simulation war game" or "We force the general shooter mainstream, making many things easier", "We are working on playable games and not on graphical highlights such as other game studios".

The graphics and animations are very good but please go back to the proven ofp-gameplay we all love.

The only information what I want ís, will we get back the OFP feeling with the next patch yes or not?

For the 1,000th time. This is Armed Assault, not OFP. If you like OFP gameplay, you can always keep playing OFP.

well i started not to care about these comments, fired up OFP today, and find that i cant stand the old engine anymore with so much limit in it confused_o.gif

i mean yes the good old OFP is very good in terms of gameplay and it is true that it is not as "smooth" as OFP when you started playing Arma the first time, but after sometime and getting used to it the good old OFP feeling is back and some of them in ArmA acturaly better then his big brother(TIR as example, bring the gameplay into a new level)

yes, it is not a perfect game, and the fact they really have something screwed up, but for the sake of god not to an unplayable level.

I am looking forward for my new rigs and the new patch release to see if it worth for buying english full version, but really, its not making me simply give up playing(or there simply notthing to play with)

Couldn't have put it better myself, my friend. Flashpoint, looks-wise, etc, is complete crap when played after one has been playing ArmA for awhile... which it should be, considerig it's 6 years old, etc.

OFP was my favorite game, now ArmA is. Thanks BIS. Everyone remember, this is not OFP, but ArmA. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Why we need such a big island? 99,9% of all game modes (execpt cti) need only a local area. This is the same mistake that SSW had already made.

That is the funniest complaint yet. What bad is there with a big island, save that it brings OFP's islands to shame?

well i started not to care about these comments, fired up OFP today, and find that i cant stand the old engine anymore with so much limit in it confused_o.gif

Well i don't feel same about OFP... Actually can't, as i'm working in a Lapland war 1944 - 1945-project for OFP. But i can't wait the time that it will get converted to ArmA... As ArmA is new ruler of the kingdom smile_o.gif ... Yes it is more demanding ruler: learn/adapt that flightmodel, shooting isn't as easy as before, controls are more demanding etc... But still it offers me a better kingdom with more opportunities.