Sign in to follow this  
BoA

Your ideal PC to play ARMA?

Imho if you buy a new pc, it should have a Dual core at least.

Last time I checked, the Pentium D820 was dual core....

Theres a difference between "first gen" Dual cores (the D's) and "second gen" Dual cores (the conroes)...

Long story short, Conroe has a new architecture which totally wipes all the other intel (and AMD) chips from the table.

An Intel D dual core does NOT equal an Intel Conroe dual core wink_o.gif

Imho if you buy a new pc, it should have a Dual core at least.

Last time I checked, the Pentium D820 was dual core....

Theres a difference between "first gen" Dual cores (the D's) and "second gen" Dual cores (the conroes)...

Long story short, Conroe has a new architecture which totally wipes all the other intel (and AMD) chips from the table.

An Intel D dual core does NOT equal an Intel Conroe dual core wink_o.gif

I know the differences between the Core 2s and Pentiums, never said otherwise. I was just pointing out that the Pentium D is a dual core, even if its not as good as the Conroe it will still get the job done.

Can i have any suggestions for an AGP GFX card up to £200 for this game?

I was thinking an ATI X1950 Pro but i thought i'd ask around to see if there were any better around...

Cheers

I was thinking an ATI X1950 Pro but i thought i'd ask around to see if there were any better around...

Cheers

AGP? wow_o.gif

Cheers

nVidia 7600GT. The 7800GS is faster, but bloody expensive.

Cheers

I bought a AGP XFX 7600GT for 180 Euro.

A nice and fast enough card, in good balance with the rest of my mid-range spec'd pc (see the sig)

I expect to use this pc at least till 2008 before i consider (and have the cash for) a total upgrade.

agp xfx 600gt

Ohh, btw, and this was important for me, the card is really silent:)

Heres a Good article for those out there thinking about a Intell C2D or AMD Chipset. Its a Head to Head match up in real gaming performance.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article....WFzdA==

AMD processors atm still hold the leach in gaming with Intel but suffer with apps. Price is why I'm going Intel.

If you actually read that article, you'd see that the Intel chips are creeping ahead and AMD no longer hold their "best at gaming" crown. (Yes the difference is only marginal, but when you consider the price difference, thats when the Conroe's really leap ahead)

Heres a Good article for those out there thinking about a Intell C2D or AMD Chipset. Its a Head to Head match up in real gaming performance.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article....WFzdA==

AMD processors atm still hold the leach in gaming with Intel but suffer with apps. Price is why I'm going Intel.

If you actually read that article, you'd see that the Intel chips are creeping ahead and AMD no longer hold their "best at gaming" crown. (Yes the difference is only marginal, but when you consider the price difference, thats when the Conroe's really leap ahead)

I was basing my comment that they are roughly the same but Intel is cheaper so therefore better.

AMD atm is using it's time to make it's Fusion. AMD knows it cannot directly beat Intel but can go around the back since they have ATi and make something new and hopefully better.

Cheers

AGP?  wow_o.gif

Yes.. AGP lol ... someone built this PC for me and it turns out hes quite a fool :P And im not going to fork out for a new mobo + possibly CPU/RAM just yet... i'll wait till i upgrade to vista + DX10 and stuff for that.

By the way... does VRAM increase FPS? im not sure what exactly the VRAM does... obviously the more the better.. but does it increase FPS or just smoothness or something?

The 7600 GT seems to have a lower GPU speed than the X1950 Pro.. so shouldnt the x1950 pro be better than the GT? :S Damit im confused lol

Cheers

AGP? wow_o.gif

Yes.. AGP lol ... someone built this PC for me and it turns out hes quite a fool :P And im not going to fork out for a new mobo + possibly CPU/RAM just yet... i'll wait till i upgrade to vista + DX10 and stuff for that.

By the way... does VRAM increase FPS? im not sure what exactly the VRAM does... obviously the more the better.. but does it increase FPS or just smoothness or something?

The 7600 GT seems to have a lower GPU speed than the X1950 Pro.. so shouldnt the x1950 pro be better than the GT? :S Damit im confused lol

From what I've heard Vista digs out 15% of gaming performance for your 3D taskbar and really is an XP knock off.

Is DX10 really worth it? What games use it?

I dunno, ive heard good things about DX10 and ive heard it will increase performance for almost all cards.. There was a nice guide by ATI for DX10 somewhere, looked pretty good... And yes, the interface of Vista uses the GFX card ive heard, hopefully it will 'disable' the interface while gaming... Vista also has much better memory management (once you invest in 2GB :| as vista wants 1gb for itself)

But anyway, why is the 7600GT/GS 'better' than the x1950 pro when the x1950 has more memory and faster GPU??

I dunno, ive heard good things about DX10 and ive heard it will increase performance for almost all cards.. There was a nice guide by ATI for DX10 somewhere, looked pretty good... And yes, the interface of Vista uses the GFX card ive heard, hopefully it will 'disable' the interface while gaming... Vista also has much better memory management (once you invest in 2GB :| as vista wants 1gb for itself)

But anyway, why is the 7600GT/GS 'better' than the x1950 pro when the x1950 has more memory and faster GPU??

(Price in pounds, best for price range out of ATi and Nvidia):

AGP

GeForce 6600 or Radeon X700 ~100

Radeon X850 PRO ~110

GeForce 7600 GT ~120

PCI-E

GeForce 7600 GT ~100

GeForce 7900 GS ~140

Radeon X1950 XT ~175

GeForce 8800 GTS ~380

GeForce 8800 GTX ~450

Use this to convert to your currency

X1950pro is minimum for ArmA from ATIs camp IMHO ... (anything else is pain even it runs)

I disagree, i can run ArmA VERY well with my 512mb X1950 PRO... im running it on max settings (post process on low) 1152*864 resolution on the demo and FPS is 20 or greater...

Running sweet biggrin_o.gif

agp xfx 600gt

Ohh, btw, and this was important for me, the card is really silent:)

XFX's aren't silent. I've been through a couple and they are anything but silent. The noise my current 6600GT makes :O.

mine runs great at everything on high

Pent D 3.2 dual core

BFG 7800 GS

1 gig kingston

1360x768

oh and I love the way my 7800 roars when its running good

I don't understand why 8800GTX owners whinge so much. I bought one yesterday, an ASUS EN8800GTX, and I set everything to max, 5000m viewdistance and everything runs as sweetly as oil on glass in the north part of Sahrani.

Besides, I don't even have a Core II, and my system still kicks ass, must be something to do with my tweaking skill. smile_o.gif

3.99GHz P4 w. ASUS Silent Square Pro + Arctic Silver

2GB DDRII 585MHz

P5W DH Deluxe

EN8800GTX

ThermalTake ToughPower 750W PSU

Since I have a medium sized case though (ThermalTake Soprano w. window) I had to do some serious case modding to fit the damn card in... involving cutting a nice big hole in my hard drive cage with tin snips, hahahah! biggrin_o.gif I'm currently as happy as a pig in mud.

Running arma maxed out, veiw distance 5000m. See sig for specs. The 8800gtx is kickass, at least thats what i have found. What we need is some smart person to post screenshots of the game when there gpu is runing its best, that way people can see the qualatiy they can expect if they are upgrading. I hope you understand wink_o.gif

I have all this in route and in my hands within 3-5days.

The Asus software includes something called "Asus Live" and may be much better than Fraps. I will be glad to get several  small video samples at 1 point. I will also test running a server thru 1 cpu, while gaming thru the 2nd cpu. My only dilemma will be TRYING NOT to install my Sprocket/Czech version and wait for the US hardcopy.

I've yet decided on XPpro or Vista. I do have 1 license remaining for Server 2003 I may use. And no... this is not just for ArmA whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ]Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition VA8004BNS Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual Socket L (Socket 1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard

2x AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Windsor 3.0GHz Socket F (1207 FX) DSDC Architecture Processor Model ADAFX74DIBOX

ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M GEFORCE 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 PCI-Express w/2 DUAL-LINK DVI, HDCP COMPLIANT

2x WD 150GB RAPTOR WD1500ADFD 10000RPM 16MB SATA-150 3.5"

ENERMAX EGA1000EWL-DXX GALAXY ATX 12V 1000W (nVIDIA CERTIFIED FOR G80)

CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400PRO 2GB KIT (1GB x 2) PC26400 800MHZ Matched Pair 5-5-5-12 240-PIN DDR2 DIMM W/Activity Leds & Heat Spreader

2x Sony DVD/RW

Currently playing on an AMD 64 +3000, 1.5 ddr@400, FX-5900 and about the only issues is all in video.

Here is what I got coming on Monday:

Athlon 64 X2-5200+  with 2X1mb cache

Asus M2 Crosshair m/b

BFG 8800 GTX 768 megger

Corsair twinX Dual Channel  xms2-6400 DDR kit  2 gigs worth

Enermax 850 watt psu

SeaGate 250 gb Barrcuda, 16 meg cache

my current system finally bit it, so I figured... it is time.  And I wanna run AA in all its glory. Not to mention.... Crysis. .... if they ever decide to release it.

Athlon 64 X2-5200+ easilly o/cs to 2.8 gig btw.

too bad I bought a new system in September 2005, at a time when there wasn't a single Dual Core system available.

Recommended option for a gaming system was at that moment: AMD Athlon 64 3500+  and GeForce 7800 GTX (checked it on tweakers.net)!

256Mb videocard and 1 Gb RAM even cost me an expensive upgrade, 512Mb RAM being standard. And already one year later 2 Gb RAM seemed to be a minimum.

am I correct that system specs have evolved remarkably fast over the last few months?