Sign in to follow this  
BoA

Your ideal PC to play ARMA?

How about the Quandro Series? I know they're intended for workstations, but I can't see any good of it. I don't think they're worth their prices. In my opnion, they're just the products for lower users, rather than workstations, as most of them are even still in AGP times. I just can't understand it. Can somebody tell me why?

Well, back to reality, considering price and performance, I think AMD Opteron 154 and 7950GT is the best choice.

LeadTec QuadroFX 5500 still uses DDR2 SDRAM rather than DDR3. I'm puzzled why they don't use DDR3.

i am using this:

amd 4000+ watercooled

asus a8n-sli deluxe

7800gtx

2 gig OCZ ram

X-fi

but i am getting this tomorrow

core2duo e6600

asus p5b-wifi

2gig corsair ram

8800gtx

raptor HD

and will transfer my X-fi across

expet to OC the cpu to at least 3.2Ghz and tinker with the 8800gtx clocks

money well spent

how about this one?

would this run in very hight details with good FPS?

and smooth all the time?

MOTHER BOARD:

ASROCK 775DUAL-VSTA SOCKET 775

CPU:

CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13GHZ FSB1066 2MB CACHE OEM

GRÃFICA:

POWERCOLOR X1950PRO 256MB DDR3 PCIe

MEM:

2x1G ddr 400

How do you think my Dell XPS M170 laptop will perform. I can play OFP at 1900x1220 and pretty much everything maxed except the viewdistance, without any problems. I play BF2 1600x1200 fully maxed settings also, but its too bad it doesnt support my widescreen sad_o.gif

Here are the specs

Dell xps m170

1.5 gb ram corsair

2.0ghz intel mobile centrino 2mb cache

nvidia 7800gtx 256mb

True life 17'' widescreen with 1920x1200 native resolution.

Until about 6 months ago there was not a faster laptop available and it was still faster than most desktops because the intel centrino outperformed many desktop chipsets, even desktop chips that were much faster. I believe the 2ghz centrino performs near the same speed as a p4 3.8ghz.

dell_m170_500x406.jpg

So how well do you think it will handle arma. I bought the german version from buy arma and will receive today or tommorow. So far I havent found a game I couldnt play at the max setting and 1920x1200 resolution. I hope my laptop wont have met its match with arma!!! crazy_o.gif

So how well do you think it will handle arma. I bought the german version from buy arma and will receive today or tommorow.

So, you already have your machine. You're getting your copy of ArmA tomorrow, and you want us to guess what kind of performance you might be getting, rather than trying it yourself in a day, and then knowing for sure what kind of performance you have???

I don't get it...

Just thought I'd share my experience with a new graphics card and ArmA.

It became rapidly apparent to me that my 3 year old comp that was once best in class is begining to struggle with the current generation of games that are coming out.

Not wanting to buy another machine until Vista comes out (I don't want to fork out the huge price for a non OEM version of it) I decided to upgrade my card to see if it would make a real difference.

I am happy to report that I can now run the game at 1024x768 and at a Normal level where before it was a slideshow.

I upgrade from a Radeon 9500Pro to a 1650 Pro (IceQ). The previous card had 256Mb RAM and the new one has 512Mb. It is an AGP card.

On my P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB RAM it made a real significant difference. So those of you wanting to squeeze some extra life out of a slowly aging machine a new gfx card (mine cost around 190 USD) is a sound investment.

I concur, but you can also get a bit of mileage by tuning the

game options and lessening your expectations a bit. For

example I had all the hideous drawing and LOD bugs until I

merely reduced the "view distance".

The funny part is that you can only use 8800gtx on XP.

No Vista drivers yet (if you had vista in mind).

Yep, for me going from Nvidia 6800GS to 7900GS was like playing completely different game. 6800GS wouldn't simply be playable in anything higher than 800x600 and since I have TFT display, it would look just horrible due to display scaling it to its native resolution.

I have now the geforce 6600GT 128mb, and i bought the geforce 7600GS 256mb.

hopefully i receive the card today by post.

Wonder what the differences will be in performance and quaility playing the game

With my old Geforce 6800GT 256 DDR3 RAM I got 30 FPS, with my new one I bought last week (Geforce 7800GS+ 512 DDR3 Edition) I get 15 FPS more... banghead.gif

My German ArmA version is patched to 1.01. My view distance is set to 1500m.

Currently I still have a 6600GT 128MB (GDDR3) myself, I tested a lottle overclocking @525/1100MHz and for the 5% increase in clock frequency I also got ~5% in the ArmA-Mark.

Probably already this weekend I will get a 7900GS 512MB - can't wait wink_o.gif

With my old Geforce 6800GT 256 DDR3 RAM I got 30 FPS, with my new one I bought last week (Geforce 7800GS+ 512 DDR3 Edition) I get 15 FPS more... banghead.gif

My German ArmA version is patched to 1.01. My view distance is set to 1500m.

Well you can turn other graphics options up without as much hit on performance as before. You should be able to have everything besides Viewdistance on the highest setting.

Well you can turn other graphics options up without as much hit on performance as before. You should be able to have everything besides Viewdistance on the highest setting.

Probably we should make a list of setting vs. affected resource, e.g. Anisotropic Filtering and AntiAliasing is GPU only, while Terrain Detail is heavy on CPU/memory.

This way people could get a better idea of where they might have reservesor where to reduce the load.

[

Probably we should make a list of setting vs. affected resource, e.g. Anisotropic Filtering and AntiAliasing is GPU only, while Terrain Detail is heavy on CPU/memory.

This way people could get a better idea of where they might have reservesor where to reduce the load.

Besides AA, AF, Post Processing and Shader Detail which affect mainly the Graphics Card, they use everything tounge2.gif .

For example the viewdistance needs more RAM to load distant scenery, more CPU to render it (prepare it for the GPU), more GPU power to do the rendering and Hard Drive to load the distant scenery off of it and into the RAM. There you go smile_o.gif .

gnarf my athlon 64 3000+(1.8ghz) is then a huge bottleneck to my x1900xt (512mb) huh.gif

Probably.

Does anyone have a 7600 GT? I'd like to know how it performs, because I have that card too.

AFAIK Nvidia 76xx and 78xx cards handle v3.0 shaders better than the 66xx and 68 series so I would expect the 7600GT to perform pretty much the same as a 6800gt. I think you will be looking at 1024x768x32 with Normal settings to get 25-30fps but you may have to reduce textures to low with a VD of 1200 to maintain the frames when flying over the larger cities. I would'nt expect wonders but it will certainly be playable for you with that card.

Cheers

Does anyone have a 7600 GT? I'd like to know how it performs, because I have that card too.

Ehm, if you've got the card yourself, you would be the one to tell *us* how it performs, not the other way around...

But I'm curious about it's performance as well, there's a good chance I'll be getting a 7600GT to replace my 9800 Pro.