Sign in to follow this  
txalin

Confirmed release dates and countries.

I'm sure insde the big publishers there are ppl who see the quality AND possibilities of ArmA but for every 1 of these guys there are 10 who just like BF better (just like gamers). Now, i think nobody can argue with that, therefor it is practically impossible to convert a big publisher beforehand.

I think I might be able to argue this. I think the reason the 10 people like BF2 better is because BF2 is in the public eye. When I explain OFP to my friends, they wonder why they never heard of it and get frustrated trying to purchase a new copy of OFP:R so they can play. Most of the time they only find GOTY copies and get even more frustrated trying to install addons properly. I think I can safely assume that if you explain all of the possibilities of ArmA in a 30 second commercial and show it in movie theaters or whatnot, the sales would quadruple a few times over.

As for the american generalizing, contrary to popular belief not all americans are the same (i.e. nascar, mcdonalds, bush supporters, thinking the world revolves around the good ol' you ess of eh). Just started to get that sense around here.

As for what it takes to get a US publisher? In my 31 years of living in this country it seems that just about everything boils down to money and power. I kinda doubt there is a lack of intrest on the US publisher side, I just think they either want too much of the profit or they want to influence the way the game is presented too much. I think valve/steam would'nt want too much $$$ and I doubt they would want to influence the game. I kinda hope they go that route and make the game more expensive if need be.

As for the american generalizing, contrary to popular belief not all americans are the same (i.e. nascar, mcdonalds, bush supporters, thinking the world revolves around the good ol' you ess of eh). Just started to get that sense around here.

Dang, I better go put myself in the corner. I like all those things rofl.gif

Seriously, I hear where your coming from. I think the market, which is what it is, a market. Is fueled in a way that as you described. One thing I have grown frustrated with as I age is the sheep mentality that my country seems to have. If something is suddenly the "in" thing then everyone does it. In gaming for the US crowd it seems the same themes are barfed up over and over. Really, is anyone else as sick as I am over Mario 54, Zelda 32, Metroid bazillion? Eye candy is the key selling point and flashy commercials that really don't show anything sell.

I applaude BIS and their collective group for doing it there way. If that means that the US version is not released until a later date because the US market is to blind to see a quality game looking it square in the monitor then so be it. Will it bother me, kinda some. Will I complain to the masses. Nope, just keep hoping for the best.

I cannot see a day where ArmA isn't sold on US shelves. The sheep will come flocking when they see the Euro sales

biggrin_o.gif

I think.......

I think I'll just have to wait until an english language version pops up somewhere in the world........

Then I'll take my savings, and fly there and buy it! That day!

Nah, I'm not anxious  goodnight.gif

I just wish BIS would put something up about their search for a publisher/distributor or an online release....they gotta understand how much the hype is killing the people in the U.K/U.S.

At least something like....were looking for a distributor but will also offer an online release or something like that

Errr we have, for example here.........

http://www.ga.com.ba/clanak/514.html

Quote[/b] ]Tenga: If BIS don't manage to get a publisher, are there any backup plans like online distribution?

Paul: We have plans for online distribution irrespective of the quest to sign to a "box in shops" publisher as many people have embraced the online distribution system and we would like to think we encourage freedom of choice as much as possible.

Then I'll take my savings, and fly there and buy it! That day!

lol yea, normally when you want a game you check the reviews, goto your shop, get the game and come home to install it right away.

with ArmA they could just put up a set of coordinates for a dude selling copies from a burger van and its road trip time baby!

rofl.gifwink_o.gif

I just hope you are still seriously thinking about digital distribution for the “other guysâ€. I don’t have a dvd-rom, so I would rather download the game then buy a dvd-rom for it. Yea, yea, I know, it’s 2006 and I don’t have a dvd-rom, but up until this point, there hasn’t been one instance where I actually needed one.

If a US date is late or never comes (would be very suprising) at least a lot of people can get the game online or as an import.

Good news!  Armed Assault will come in an additional version for those people who don't have a DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, broadband modem, dial-up modem, USB thumb-drives, or even 3.5" floppy drives!

armafloppyjh2.jpg

We haven't to check every German, French, Portuguese or Bosnian game magazine for arma previews/articles, the links are all here in the forums.

You know what, you use sarcasm, i will use irony:

This is like everyone asking about an English version, when every Alpha/E3/GC version is already English. whistle.gif

<sarcasm>Yeah, we regularly check Bosnian sites wink_o.gif</sarcasm>

As armandobronca pointed out the interview was posted in English and it was mentioned on these forums.

Also......

It was linked to in a Bistudio.com news item:

http://www.bistudio.com/

Quote[/b] ]Post GC Press Coverage Roundup - 29.8.2006

Bosnian gaming site Gaming Area host an English language ArmA

It was linked to in an ArmedAssault.com news item:

http://www.armedassault.com/index.p....ucat=1&

And it was also mentioned in FlashNews 103

http://www.bistudio.com/flashnews/103

If there's any sarcasm to be thrown about it should be thrown in your direction.

We're already in contact with Jiri... no rush, patience - and we'll be there one day wink_o.gif

I'm sure insde the big publishers there are ppl who see the quality AND possibilities of ArmA but for every 1 of these guys there are 10 who just like BF better (just like gamers). Now, i think nobody can argue with that, therefor it is practically impossible to convert a big publisher beforehand.

I think I might be able to argue this. I think the reason the 10 people like BF2 better is because BF2 is in the public eye. When I explain OFP to my friends, they wonder why they never heard of it ...

OFP was very much in the public eye. It sold over 1 million copies and got many awards in 2001/2002 (including from big sites like Gamespot). Your friends might not have heard of OFP but the (big) publishers sure must have noticed OFP (unless they are complete incompetent fools).

It's simple, the mass goes for McDonalds, and the mass goes for BF2. The big publishers go for/facilitate the mass (otherwise they wouldn't be BIG publishers;)

Now, it could be that ArmA becomes a 'mass' product, but you'd have to present it in a 'mass' (=mainstream) way. Meaning Gfx to the max (98% of the gamers don't care for 'view distance', they want big explosions;), easy gameplay (some arcade setting will do) and no tech stuff like mission editor let alone 'modding':)

(Now, if ArmA would show up on 360, my fav subject, sorry guys, with above elements AND you've implemented some kind of 'signed' mods available as DLC then it could become a 'mass' product, because consoles are for the mass, while the core would still be our beloved OFP/ArmA ... i'm already hearing the buzz ... 'Jurassic mod'  available soon as DLC for just 5$. I know my XBL friends, they'd love it:)

I duno...I'd rather have viewdistance to see an enemy 500meters+ away rather than only see them when their but maybe 20feet away. Oh and eh...thats going to require aloooot of floppy disks.

Damn right! I hate all of those really,people that think that if you do something nice for them that you owe it to them to do so and so on..meh...I eve get to live in a town full of ********* ********* so I get to listen to the whole ****** witness >< But anyway,before I derail this topic and have to get my pillows so my ass doesn't hurt so bad after Placebo kicks it.

I duno...I'd rather have viewdistance to see an enemy 500meters+ away rather than only see them when their but maybe 20feet away.

You and i belong to the 2% (you and i KNOW what view distance means in relation to OFP/ArmA ... but the mass doesn't know that and doesn't care as they do not care for the 'real' star constellations, etc.)

Btw, i didn't say anything on USA, i only stated that OFP (like PES (soccer) and CMR (ralley)) are kind of 'European' styled games.

But, you are right, i'm out of here before the P-guy starts some kicking:)

Even if you did and I simply misinterpreted it,I'm the kind of american where you can speak derogatory about americans and I'll more likely agree with you.

As far as OFP/AA being more like European games,I have no problem with that,infact in my opinion thats what makes them them,if I had a choice between bf2 or OFP/AA I'd take the European game in an instant because theres so much more you can do,its not as simple as you have this small map and all your doing is capping flags while you see soldiers bunny hopping all over the place. Its moreso tactical thinking which is why I love OFP.

But yeah its a shame how the more serious gamer is a dying breed,going to the graphics mainstream gaming,perhaps if AA goes long enough the breed will be reborn or become stronger,if they don't like it they don't have to have it just like we don't have to have theirs I suppose,oh well,graphics are great and eye appealing and whatnot thats fine and good but the heavier graphics are the more trouble your card is going to have,sure you can run these nice and pretty graphics when its calm but when you have 20+ vehicles with bullets and explosions everywhere you are going to be lucky if you don't crash. Now I'm not saying it should be removed by any means,it would help the community and to have come so far to make such a feature only to be rid of it would be such a big waste.

...Good news!  Armed Assault will come in an additional version for those people who don't have a DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, broadband modem, dial-up modem, USB thumb-drives, or even 3.5" floppy drives!

This is actually a 5.25" Floppy wink_o.gif

Regarding 'normal' distributors, I could imagine that it might get even more difficult to find one after the online distibution has started.

Unfortunately contrary to "forum opinion" finding a publisher isn't as simple as standing on a street corner and as someone passes whispering "pssst, oy mister, wanna buy a game, real good quality, get you well hooked".

Well Placebo, there ya go!  That's the way you can sell it here in the UK.  I would gladly take up the position of 'street vendor', but I don't have the Cockney accent to stand there and go 'Awite geezer, wanna buy a game.  Real good quality init, know what I mean?  Get ya well hooked, init!'  biggrin_o.gif

I bet all the OFP fans in the UK would flock to London to get it from that geezer...  wink_o.gif

I do have a cockney accent, so if you want to send over a couple of copies to me mate, I'll try my best and sort it out tounge2.gif

This is actually a 5.25" Floppy wink_o.gif

But not just any 5.25" floppy--that's a genuine, tried and true 360KB floppy from the golden age of text parser Sierra games! We don't need nobody tryin' to use one of them unreliable, newfangled 1.2MB floppies now, do we?

Unfortunately contrary to "forum opinion" finding a publisher isn't as simple as standing on a street corner and as someone passes whispering "pssst, oy mister, wanna buy a game, real good quality, get you well hooked".

Well Placebo, there ya go!  That's the way you can sell it here in the UK.  I would gladly take up the position of 'street vendor', but I don't have the Cockney accent to stand there and go 'Awite geezer, wanna buy a game.  Real good quality init, know what I mean?  Get ya well hooked, init!'  biggrin_o.gif

I bet all the OFP fans in the UK would flock to London to get it from that geezer...  wink_o.gif

Yep, I'd go for that.

This year would be nice.

since announcing ArmA at E3 2005 I've lost count of the meetings that have taken place with publishers, at E3 2005, E3 2006, GC 2006 as well as countless meetings/visits to our offices etc. etc.

Considering all that then, dont you think its an internal problem of public relations. Bad PR? If you have had so many differnt meetings and no good results. You might want to think about changing the way you do things, take some risks and try a differnt approach to marketing and showing off your product. smile_o.gif it might just work, think about it.

sort of like he who dares wins?

but considering del boy's lack of ability for selling *anything*, i'd pass over his advice. :-)

Well, publishers probably want some rights etc. Like codemasters got the rights to the name Flashpoint... BIS probably wants a lot more freedom then the big publishers want to give.

Don't get caught up in the "Everyone in America is a greedy consol loving zombie" lie.

Yes America's video game playing youth are bombarded by flashy unmoral run and gun style play. Yes they seem to be the masses. But they are not. The masses don't spend hard earned cash on video games. Atleast not nearly as much. Therefore the masses aren't targeted by the big companies.

Be happy for who you are and pray for the youth of today, THEY NEED IT.

ON TOPIC: I play with Alpha squad regularly. They play GR right now but it's about time for a change and it will most likly be AA.

So when BIS sends the game our way, We'll purchase it.

It would be nice if a big add campaign was set in motion so that more people would join in the fun. But even if we must get it online or buy it from Europe We'll have it.

Waiting for for news on US release date. thumbs-up.gif