Sign in to follow this  
txalin

Confirmed release dates and countries.

Therefore the masses aren't targeted by the big companies.

this is OT, but it makes so little sense that i had to comment.

wth ? -- all i'm saying.

The fact that we weren't able to reach an agreement with one single global publisher wasn't through want of trying, it wasn't through lack of effort, since announcing ArmA at E3 2005 I've lost count of the meetings that have taken place with publishers, at E3 2005, E3 2006, GC 2006 as well as countless meetings/visits to our offices etc. etc.

Why is it so hard to reach publishing agreements? Well if someone figures it out please do enlighten me banghead.gif

whistle.gif

Do you think Codemasters is making it difficult in any way for BIS to find a world-wide publisher? Could that be the reason? huh.gifwow_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

I meant masses as everyone who owns a computer. But when talking about "Gamers", I suppose the flashy run and gun type players are the majority today. They are the spenders and they will certainly be the target group for most companies. Thank goodness a few companies still make our kind of quality games.

sort of like he who dares wins?

but considering del boy's lack of ability for selling *anything*, i'd pass over his advice. :-)

Are you referring to me?

I found out after a long time that you actually need ppl who buy things in order to sell something.

You can influence the thing you (try to) sell but you will never be able to influence ppl to actually buy the stuff. If you have kids, and they don't want to eat spinach, you will start to see what i mean:)

Can we all try to leave our publisher and consumer society theories at the door? I thought this discussion was about release dates, not about the stupidity of society at large

sort of like he who dares wins?

but considering del boy's lack of ability for selling *anything*, i'd pass over his advice. :-)

Are you referring to me?

i wasnt, no. del boy is a TV character from "only fools and horses", a classic british TV program who made the phrase "who dares wins" famous, and was noted for his lack of being able to sell his dodgy (likely stolen) goods on once bought from someone else.

unless your british, in which case you'll know this :-)

Who can forget Del and his little brother Rodney ... biggrin_o.gif

Imagine Trotters Independent Trading co. as ArmA publisher yay.gif

Who can forget Del and his little brother Rodney ...  biggrin_o.gif

Imagine Trotters Independent Trading co. as ArmA publisher   yay.gif

ROFL!!! And some dodgy geezer driving off at high speed in their yellow van full of copies of ArmA!!! biggrin_o.gifrofl.gif

since announcing ArmA at E3 2005 I've lost count of the meetings that have taken place with publishers, at E3 2005, E3 2006, GC 2006 as well as countless meetings/visits to our offices etc. etc.

Considering all that then, dont you think its an internal problem of public relations. Bad PR? If you have had so many differnt meetings and no good results. You might want to think about changing the way you do things, take some risks and try a differnt approach to marketing and showing off your product. smile_o.gif it might just work, think about it.

If the problem was PR we wouldn't be able to get meetings in the first place, so sling that mud somewhere else Mister wink_o.gif

Publishing involves printing of the disks, manuals, covers and then distribution correct?

Why can't you give the guys you have publishing in say Poland and English copy. Its surely just a case of changing a few files on the burning machine and a changing the file on

the print runs.

Those guys can then sell over the net. I would rather pay a little P&P than not get it all. Or go for the latest thing internet download either via yourselves (no middle man to pay) or via these other publishers. I would like to see a publisher in somewhere like Poland have a bite at the UK and USA market rather than someone like codemasters having everything their own way.

I reckon I could sell you a hundred copies of the bat with the amount of gaming clans forums I have access to.

there are probably some pretty good reasons why the czech publisher isnt distributing to the UK... otherwise i'm sure it would have been considered.

Which way does BIS make the most money?

1. UK Distributor (I purchase via Amazon)

2. Digital d/l

Once someone answers that question I know which method I will use. I would rather my money directly supported BIS rather than a publisher as an incentive for them to complete Game 2 when its done, rather than 'when we need the cash'.

I suspect #2 is the best option for BIS per unit but that #1 will generate the customer awareness and sales overall.

smile_o.gif

(lol I've enjoyed O2 far more than actually playing OFP)

Poland              Lem                  N/A

IDEA GAMES announced final date of premiere ArmA (Czech, Russian and Polish version) on 10 November smile_o.gif

Poland Lem N/A

IDEA GAMES announced final date of premiere ArmA (Czech, Russian and Polish version) on 10 November smile_o.gif

link plz? smile_o.gif

Well I live in the US and I had to wait a month after resistance got released because I couldn't find it anywhere. With HL2 on the other hand, I bought it in store before it was released on steam.

Just hope you european guys keep us updated with screenshots. xmas_o.gif

You know, to make the month go faster.

Also hoping for a on-line order and download available worlwide on the 10th/11 ... or at least DVDs ... in France tounge2.gif

since announcing ArmA at E3 2005 I've lost count of the meetings that have taken place with publishers, at E3 2005, E3 2006, GC 2006 as well as countless meetings/visits to our offices etc. etc.

Considering all that then, dont you think its an internal problem of public relations. Bad PR? If you have had so many differnt meetings and no good results. You might want to think about changing the way you do things, take some risks and try a differnt approach to marketing and showing off your product. smile_o.gif it might just work, think about it.

If the problem was PR we wouldn't be able to get meetings in the first place, so sling that mud somewhere else Mister wink_o.gif

wasnt trying to be nasty or anything? crazy_o.gif was just saying take some risks else where then :/

wasnt trying to be nasty or anything? crazy_o.gif was just saying take some risks else where then :/

I know, hence the wink smile_o.gif

there are probably some pretty good reasons why the czech publisher isnt distributing to the UK... otherwise i'm sure it would have been considered.

Strictly would you be distributing in the UK? I can imagine there being some issues.

I would actually be importing a English version from Poland via UPS or any other well known courier company. Same as I bought a collectors edition game from the USA using their internet shop.

EDIT actually thinking about it once printed ship a box load to play.com. Free P&P and easy marketing.

there's also the point that if you have a czech publisher trying to sell a game in the UK, they have little influence over here in terms of the market, what sells, how to sell it, who to advertise to, where to advertise etc...

remember that BIS doesnt just want to sell copies to the current community who know whats going on and when the release dates are.

Just created this to have all the release dates and countries in one thread to avoid the creation of multiple threads the similar info.

żGood or bad idea?

Well, and now, confirmed dates and countries.

Country            Publisher          Date

Austria              Morphicon        30/11/06

Czech Republic  BIS&JRC&CQE  10/11/06

Germany           Morphicon        30/11/06

Poland              Lem                  N/A

Russia              Akella               N/A

Switzerland       Morphicon         30/11/06

Slovakia           BIS&JRC&CQE  10/11/06

Good thing

But, what abt skandinavia ? crazy_o.gif

Yeah, what about Scandinavia!!? And if ya have anykind of info about the releases in detail (the language.... the covers....), it would be appreciated!

Or would that be completely the publisher's duty to decide that? I just wanna know *where* to place our order of multiple copies so that we get the language version we understand here in Finland! I just discussed with my friend about that and we talked about how nice it is to have the boxed version besides the legendary OFP-packages. So that when you're old you can just sit down and say to the grand-children that "boy, these were the GAMES back then!" rofl.gif

there's also the point that if you have a czech publisher trying to sell a game in the UK, they have little influence over here in terms of the market, what sells, how to sell it, who to advertise to, where to advertise etc...

remember that BIS doesnt just want to sell copies to the current community who know whats going on and when the release dates are.

I can't remember how I came across OFP I think it was just browsing on play. I don't know anyone who walks into game shops and buys them off the shelf. I don't anyone who buys computer mags and reads the reviews its all done over the net.

You should be able to reach plenty of people by advertising on gaming sites and places like play, fileplanet all the game review sites. Word spreads on the net now more than it ever has. I can think of 10 boards i could post on and hit well over 300000 people.

oddly enough though, not everyone in the UK browses the internet on a regular basis, and a even smaller amount sign up to gaming forums

Quote[/b] ]I don't know anyone who walks into game shops and buys

them off the shelf.

In the time before internet, there wasnt really another way. Many of my early purchases were done like this.

Quote[/b] ]I don't anyone who buys computer mags and reads the reviews its all done over the net.

Seeing as the PC Gamer UK forum alone has 14,000 registered members, and assuming that many more who read the magazine dont bother signing up to the forum, then I'd say there are a rather large proportion of people who read gaming mags and purchase games based on their reviews. I certainly do.

I agree alot of the sales of Arma, like OFP, may come from word of mouth, a bit of a cult game of sorts. But surely it would be foolish for any publisher to rely just on public forums to advertise a game, as you cut out a large amount of your potential market.

Remember that giving a CD of the game to PC Gamer costs BIS/Publisher virtually nothing (the cost of the CD and posting), whereas the free advertising the Magazine generates, assuming a good review, is priceless.