Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

Breath Holding?

I read in one of the newer interviews that you will have to hold your breath while aiming to keep the gun steady... that's pretty unrealistic.

So i am dead tired from running up a hill but can hold my breath to steady my aim? That's what i need to aim well, the lack of oxygen to my brain, while my system is in overdrive because of the fear of death and physical strain a soldier has to go through while in combat.

Yea right that really helps concentration a lot BIS.

I'd like to link to the interview but i can't find it now, cause the progress updates thread is full of spam... and ofp.info seems to be down, but i remember reading it. so if anyone else heard of this then please give a link.

Nah it is realistic, Armed Assault is a soldier simulator so it makes things as realistic as possible, that includes gun movement. It is extremely importent for a sniper and riflemen firing over long distances. Oh and remember, you won't be running up and down hills every single moment of Armed Assault so you won't always be starving your brain of oxygen. And I think your brain can go ten seconds without oxygen.

I read in one of the newer interviews that you will have to hold your breath while aiming to keep the gun steady... that's pretty unrealistic.

So i am dead tired from running up a hill but can hold my breath to steady my aim? That's what i need to aim well, the lack of oxygen to my brain, while my system is in overdrive because of the fear of death and physical strain a soldier has to go through while in combat.

Yea right that really helps concentration a lot BIS.

I'd like to link to the interview but i can't find it now, cause the progress updates thread is full of spam... and ofp.info seems to be down, but i remember reading it. so if anyone else heard of this then please give a link.

Obviously you have never in your entire life ever fired any kind of weapon.

Holding your breath (or a natural respiritory pause) is a critical element of precision shooting.

Sprinting so hard that you're breathing heavily is not conducive to precision shooting, on the other hand.

this made me wonder ....

if BIS added breath holding ...

will be there supported position on edges (wall edge, sandbags edge, window edge etc) ... same way like done in Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45

i somehow find it same important ...

and nearly as important to have fully working bidpod (deployed , not deployed) ...

keep these features coming BIS notworthy.gif

holding your breath is really only used by snipers and precision shooters.  Normal infantry dont really use it, becuase they dont need to shoot as accurate and over long distances.  Taking that into account it dosnt matter becuase snipers normally wait in position hours before shooting a single shot, so clearly wouldnt be exausted from running.

Depends on the army you're in i guess, i mean i never even heard of holding your breath while aiming before CoD2. i know about "breathing cycles" or whatever you call those in english but forceably holding your breath in? Seems silly, i'd be grasping for air after a few shots fired like that, and then i'd have to run.

My arm shakes more then my torso lifts and lowers while breathing so i'd rather have the importance of supported positions emphasized then breath holding.

Quote[/b] ]holding your breath is really only used by snipers and precision shooters. Normal infantry dont really use it, becuase they dont need to shoot as accurate and over long distances. Taking that into account it dosnt matter becuase snipers normally wait in position hours before shooting a single shot, so clearly wouldnt be exausted from running.

well, yea that's what i'm worried about. A 'hold breath' feature would probalby be present indiscriminately for both normal footsloggers and snipers, unless the feature is tied to the gun you are holding in your hands.

I really see no problem here... as you explained it, holding breath will improve your accuracy, so it is up to you, when you'll want to use it. Obviously you'll need it more on greater range, and not at all in close quarters combat.

Hopefully can hold breathing until death. So cool way to make suicide. I really wanna see some varienty beetween different soldiers their stamina, lunging e.t.c. As all soldiers arent so well conditions than some else.

this made me wonder ....

if BIS added breath holding ...

will be there supported position on edges (wall edge, sandbags edge, window edge etc) ... same way like done in Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45

i somehow find it same important ...

and nearly as important to have fully working bidpod (deployed , not deployed) ...

keep these features coming BIS notworthy.gif

must admit i thought the same and when i saw this pic and placement of gun ,i thought hmm, if that gun is resting on that sand bag, does it mean we can shoot the gun out of hand :0.

lol well lets start with is it touching bag smile_o.gif.?

1156442366717.jpg

I do wonder if we are to hold our breath after a sprint as long as like we didnt sprint? confused_o.gif

holding your breath is really only used by snipers and precision shooters. Normal infantry dont really use it, becuase they dont need to shoot as accurate and over long distances. Taking that into account it dosnt matter becuase snipers normally wait in position hours before shooting a single shot, so clearly wouldnt be exausted from running.

Well apparently not in the Crete Army? Holding your breath for precision shots is how I was taught by the UK armed forces. Now if laying down supressing fire you would not hold your breath, but if trying to pick off a target at medium to long range then accuracy is greatly improved.

I know there is a difference between how the US trains it's infantry and how they are trained in the UK. The US tend to rely on expending a large amount of rounds with a low accuracy whereas the British train for accuracy and conservation of ammo.

Nah it is realistic, Armed Assault is a soldier simulator so it makes things as realistic as possible, that includes gun movement. It is extremely importent for a sniper and riflemen firing over long distances. Oh and remember, you won't be running up and down hills every single moment of Armed Assault so you won't always be starving your brain of oxygen. And I think your brain can go ten seconds without oxygen.

did it ever happened to you that when you get up too fast, you feel dizzy for awhile? that's the result of your brain getting less oxygen for one second. imagine what no oxygen for ten seconds would do. not really an improvement of your concentration and ability to extrapolate where to intercept the target.

add to that the fact your hearing and eyesight go down first when you need oxygen and you will see that this is more of a con then a pro...

It's a bit silly though to start complaining about this being unrealistic because you may have ran for quite some time before holding your breath when you don't really know how the system works. It's possible that you won't be able to hold your breath after running, it might be possible that holding your breath after running makes your aim worse if your breathing heavy enough.

did it ever happened to you that when you get up too fast, you feel dizzy for awhile? that's the result of your brain getting less oxygen for one second. imagine what no oxygen for ten seconds would do. not really an improvement of your concentration and ability to extrapolate where to intercept the target.

add to that the fact your hearing and eyesight go down first when you need oxygen and you will see that this is more of a con then a pro...

As far as I know, people managed to be without air for 8 minutes on purpose, for example, breath divers (?). But they are trained to do that, everyone can hold their breath for five seconds. When I was practicing with an air rifle, they taught us the same thing, breathe in, hold your breath, aim, shoot.

Technically, you're not cutting off your brain from air, you're just not breathing, air is still in your lungs being processed and sent into the blood.

Just remember not to expect too much from BIS, they're not gods but human beings. OFP was a hell of a game and i know that ArmA will be too but it will be the next gen BIS game that will have all the amazing features.

When you get up too quickly and you feel dizzy, it has little to do with oxygen but your blood pressure and the dizzy feeling is a little hint at what a blackout would be.

LMAO i wish that was true, if only they put all the stuff VBS2 will have...oh well, But they do get some of it and thats why i love it so much!

Holding your breath is realistic. From being a soldier IRL I know. Holding your breath is an option I'm sure, as IRL you either have to wait for respitory paush or hold your breath to assist in not throwing off your aim. If you think thats unrealistic then go play another game.

Holding your breath is already in OPFR. When you're injured your sights will jump all over the screen but you can stabilise by pressing the left ALT key (you cant move the mouse around though).

Its stupid to hold your breath if you fill your lungs though, hold your breath while standing up and your aim shouldnt be that good with a heavy rifle, breathing slowly and shooting when you exhale (spl?) should work out better.

This feature doesnt bother me, what i really dont like are the new 3D iron sights/weapon view.

Aparently we will spend more time looking at the rifles than keeping an eye on who is out there, sight are too big, clunky and not so realistic...

Holding your breath is realistic. From being a soldier IRL I know. Holding your breath is an option I'm sure, as IRL you either have to wait for respitory paush or hold your breath to assist in not throwing off your aim. If you think thats unrealistic then go play another game.

I'll chime in here as well. Being an ex-Marine myself, and one of those ones who always, always qualified Expert on the range, the 'natural respiritory pause' (which can be extended by holding your breath) is a CRITICAL element of marksmanship.

Saying anything other than that is quite simply proof that a person has never before fired a real-world weapon. There is no actual trained shooter on these forums, or anywhere for that matter, that would argue the point otherwise.

Breath holding is an important feature for a number of reasons that I won't go into right now. If you want to know more, go ahead and read through the articles linked in my sig.

edit:

Quote[/b] ]

This feature doesnt bother me, what i really dont like are the new 3D iron sights/weapon view.

Aparently we will spend more time looking at the rifles than keeping an eye on who is out there, sight are too big, clunky and not so realistic...

banghead.gif

Some people just don't get it.

Holding your breath is already in OPFR. When you're injured your sights will jump all over the screen but you can stabilise by pressing the left ALT key (you cant move the mouse around though).

The ALT key is for looking around with your head, the fact that it stops the sway when in iron sights view is more like a bug wink_o.gif

Err .. the ironsight view in Arma (or what we've so far seen of it) gives you a far better view of what's around you than in real life. The sight isn't too big, it's too small icon_rolleyes.gif

In my training, I've learned that you pull the trigger between the inhale and exhale portions of your breath. You can pause or delay for an extra second or two during that time, but you don't really "hold" your breath. Holding your breath for any period beyond a couple seconds would probably add a some subtle trembling, thus degrading your shooting.

Sprinting so hard that you're breathing heavily is not conducive to precision shooting, on the other hand.

Have you ever watched professional biathletes? The top biathletes are absolutely amazing with the precision shooting while exhausted.

I know there is a difference between how the US trains it's infantry and how they are trained in the UK. The US tend to rely on expending a large amount of rounds with a low accuracy whereas the British train for accuracy and conservation of ammo.

crazy_o.gif

I didn't realize that 40 rounds for 40 targets for qualification was considered "expending a large amount of round with a low accuracy". That comment is BS.

icon_rolleyes.gif