Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

New ArmA Scripting commands

Does anybody know what are these two commands for?

setVariable

getVariable

Does these allow us to change internal "vehicle" variables ? wow_o.gif

Then we wouldn't need for example setDamage, we could just use player setVariable [dammage,<value>] . It then would be possible to mess with almost anything! Want to check or change number of rounds in magazine within inventory? No problem. Immobilize tank by damaging one or both of its tracks? No problem... etc

I'm hoping it is something like this. inlove.gif

I think these are new commands especially for the multiplayer.

In OFP, you had to use animations to simulate object orientated variables which are global to every client and the server.

E.g. if you had a tank with a Smoke Launcher, you used an animation to determine if the smoke launcher is empty or still usable - because animations were broadcasted to every player.

You could have used a variable for this, but then you had to use one variable for each vehicle or an array (arrays were another no go in the multiplayer) which had to be broadcasted on every change.

Me likey!

activateAddons

[edit]activateAddons [addon1, ...]

Operand types:

[addon1, ...]: Array

Type of returned value:

Nothing

Compatibility:

Version 2.32 required.

Description:

Activates the listed addons.

The list of active addons is initialized during this function.

Example:

activateAddons ["BISOFP"]

-And from the model cfg:

showWeaponCargo

Boolean:Default ?

showWeaponCargo =true;

Found inside weapon holders (ammo boxes)

does this actually show the stacks of weapon models? or just allows a player to see the numbers of items?

Taken from model config, class Vodnik: Car

Maybe we'll have GAZ Vodnik in ArmA wink_o.gif.

New config & script commands look excellent so far thumbs-up.gif.

Gnat @ July 19 2006,09:22)]But this one ....... ! ! ! Why would you be even interested ?

type createVehicleLocal pos

Quote[/b] ]Vehicle is not transferred through network in MP games.

I can think of a TON of reasons this would be interesting...

You could essentially create stuff on the players screen to create visual effects that perhaps other don't see?

You could also use it for having the server work out virtual battles on the server that the player is nowhere near.. etc..

There is alot to this command as there is to all the other new ones.

Look like I got alot of research ahead of me!! wink_o.gif

Mmmmh, not too sure, do they mean that object is not created outside of local PC (or serveur) or that object responsibility (AI, physc handling, well, everything that makes object local to computer) is not transfered to server for example when player is not "responsible" (driver, commander) of it

Could be, but here is a crude way of how I think it might work:

In original OFP, any vehicles created using createVehicle took a few moments to allow all players to enter them. This was due to a need to transfer the vehicle over the network (even after visually seeing it).

In contrast, ammo crates (if you ran addweaponcargo command) stored weapons locally. So if you added an M-16 to a crate on one players machine, it would not show up on other players crate. However, when first player grabbed it, you could actually see the net traffic as it was added to the players hands.

I am assuming this takes "createVehicle" and mimics the behavior of "addWeaponCargo" in that it is local. You create a vehicle like a Jeep and only the "local" player can enter it, manipulate it, etc....

This is a just a guess though.

I see this as useful in that if the server doesn't transfer any data regarding 100 tanks it just created, then it can optimize traffic.

There are another 2 things that still puzzle me.

1.What are all those actionKey readers for if there is no function for getting the actual keyinput, or binding a key to a script/function.Only for Hint-purposes?. Or is that "inGameUISetEventHandler" with the EventHandlers "KeyDown","KeyUp","Left Mouse Button"

2.All the Draw Commands. Its a very nice addition,but I wonder if it has any ID or stuff so that you can delete it again.

In any case,it being a wiki,the good thing is that all those entries will become more detailed over time anyways thumbs-up.gif

In original OFP, any vehicles created using createVehicle took a few moments to allow all players to enter them. This was due to a need to transfer the vehicle over the network (even after visually seeing it).

No, this was not the reason.

The reason it takes a while to enter is because the vehicle has not yet been revealed to the player. If you do 'reveal' of the vehicle after the create it can be entered immediately.

I do not see a command to query which waypoint is active for a given group. sad_o.gif

But check out the surfaceType and surfaceIsWater! smile_o.gif

PUBLICVARIABLES

Publicvariables would seem to be the same as the OFP version, it really needs the ability to send

a) Strings

b) arrays

well it really needs coc_ns in there somewhere or a similar system

Apart from that, there are lots of new commands that we are merely guessing at their use.

Thx for advance notice of the likely content of your comref, look forward to working with it

Would it not be prudent wherever possible for each value, command or object to allow

a) get value

b) set value

c) create

for each and every object

Excuse me but as english!=native language, what's the difference between SetVectorUp & SetVectorDir ? huh.gif

I guess setVectorUp determines a pitch and a roll while setVectorDir determines a yaw.

No, this was not the reason.

The reason it takes a while to enter is because the vehicle has not yet been revealed to the player. If you do 'reveal' of the vehicle after the create it can be entered immediately.

what do you think the reveal command does in that situation?

I admit I could be completely wrong, but my theory is based on the fact that actions are local (Getin as Driver, etc..) and in order to get local actions for a non-local unit/vehicle, it must be broadcast to the clients that this exists as a possibilty. In your argument, calling the reveal command would simply accelerate the process to happen directly after creation rather than wait for the process normally.

Even if I am wrong, I still stand by my suggestion of what the createVehicleLocal does tounge2.gif

hmmm "setMousePosition"

sounds interesting but better would be "getMousePosition".

looks like fwatch is already needed.

i hope kegetys will make it compatible for arma.

Quote[/b] ]hmmm "setMousePosition"

sounds interesting but better would be "getMousePosition".

looks like fwatch is already needed.

i hope kegetys will make it compatible for arma.

Any way to get the mouse position/detect clicking would immediately open up HUGE realms of possibilities for RTS-like missions. Please BIS!

Quote[/b] ]what do you think the reveal command does in that situation?

I admit I could be completely wrong, but my theory is based on the fact that actions are local (Getin as Driver, etc..) and in order to get local actions for a non-local unit/vehicle, it must be broadcast to the clients that this exists as a possibilty. In your argument, calling the reveal command would simply accelerate the process to happen directly after creation rather than wait for the process normally.

Even if I am wrong, I still stand by my suggestion of what the createVehicleLocal does

Why do you think that you still have to wait a while for your vehicle to be enterable even if you were the machine that executed the script? And when made, the vehicle will be announced as "unknown". I believe it's not a local/global issue, more of an 'unknown/reveal' issue.

Interresting, that can be put for good use in both films and pictures. Nice find smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]what do you think the reveal command does in that situation?

Even if I am wrong, I still stand by my suggestion of what the createVehicleLocal does  

Why do you think that you still have to wait a while for your vehicle to be enterable even if you were the machine that executed the script? And when made, the vehicle will be announced as "unknown". I believe it's not a local/global issue, more of an 'unknown/reveal' issue.

That, I did not know. I just realized I never spawned a vehicle locally.

Yup, also

SetTitleEffect

CameraOn (where is the command to attach the camera?)

CameraInterest

CamSetFOVRange

CamSetDive (This one never worked in OFP, Lets hope it does now.)

And I love these...

Nearobjects

FindNearestEnemy

Findcover

Yup, also

SetTitleEffect

CameraOn (where is the command to attach the camera?)

CameraInterest

CamSetFOVRange

CamSetDive (This one never worked in OFP, Lets hope it does now.)

And I love these...

Nearobjects

FindNearestEnemy

Findcover

awsome i cant wait, although I only scraped the top of the OFP language, i can understand that this is gonna be great! And the FindNearestEnemy for a zombie mod...hella yeah! The Script lords please keep explaining its making this surprise more exciting!

Can't wait either...We can only speculate right now but it looks like there are 4 commands to make a unit find cover.

First the FindCover command to find object where the unit should search for cover within a given radius, the GetHidefrom command to return the position of that object and the SetHideBehind command to make him hide behind that object.

The Ishidden command to check the unit has reached his cover destination or not

Btw, I 've found another new camera command : SetAperture

this is all very exciting, this is just like bis! The real surprises are within!

The Intersect command might have a lot of potention to:

Quote[/b] ]Find named selection in object which is in specified lod intersected by given section of a line.

Used in conjunction with WeaponDirection:

Quote[/b] ]Returns the direction that the given weapon is pointing at.

this is all very exciting, this is just like bis! The real surprises are within!

[chinese accent] You speak much wisdom for a first poster [/chinese accent]

Too true, that is the reason for such a long run for OFP.  The exterior may be a bit dated and worn looking, but the heart is gold!  notworthy.gif

@UNN: Yay! line of sight! finally!

yay.gif

Btw, I 've found another new camera command : SetAperture

Aperture is an optical word, which determines a size of hole on a slit. If the size is small, all range comes in focus. And if the size is large, only small range comes in focus and you have to select the range adjusting a camera lens.

Here are examples of the aperture.

Small Aperture

Three figures are all in focus when the aperture is small.

Large Aperture

But only middle figures is in focus when the aperture is large. Of course, you also have to choose which figure to be in focus by adjusting the camera lens. smile_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> isHideBehindScripted vehicle

Return whether the vehicle has set the hideBehindScripted true.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">IsHidden person

Return whether the person is hidden (reached the hiding position).

YESSSYESSSYESSS°°!!!°° notworthy.gif

Can anyone again please translated? I don't understand these descriptions at all.