Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

New ArmA Scripting commands

Can anyone again please translated? I don't understand these descriptions at all.

Depends on what you want to know, its too much to do them all (+most of them are pretty logical), and i dont know them all. But if you ask a few that seem interesting to you then i think that i/people will answer your question wink_o.gif

(BTW, you seem less... depressed, what happened to you? tounge2.gif )

Can anyone again please translated? I don't understand these descriptions at all.

It's really only important to scripters, however I will agree that I am unsure about some of them as well. I think there still isn't enough information and sometimes the only way to know what they do is to see for yourself.

Also, I recall it saying that it's subject to change, so we really won't know for sure until ArmA is released.

Does anybody know what are these two commands for?

setVariable

getVariable

Does these allow us to change internal "vehicle" variables ?  wow_o.gif

Then we wouldn't need for example setDamage, we could just use player setVariable [dammage,<value>] . It then would be possible to mess with almost anything! Want to check or change number of rounds in magazine within inventory? No problem. Immobilize tank by damaging one or both of its tracks? No problem... etc

I'm hoping it is something like this.  inlove.gif

I think these are new commands especially for the multiplayer.

It mentions that the variable space is not broadcast across the network, so it's really only useful for local scripts. Without having to add extra scripting.

It would be nice if Arma includes the variable space when you broadcast an object with PublicVariable. But I think that’s just wishful thinking on my part sad_o.gif Either way, compared to the potential of these commands on a local level, I guess it wont be to much hassle broadcasting this info via scripts.

Quote[/b] ]You had to do that (setting the vehicle specific variables) in OFP by creating a global nested array,

save the info there and then query it from the array later on, which of course is not very effective

when the array gets huge...

As long as you know the index and don't have to manually search though the array, the Select command was pretty fast. Lets hope Get & SetVariable are as quick.

Any downloadable ArmA comref ? (for offline consultation)

Any downloadable ArmA comref ? (for offline consultation)

Highly doubtful. The wiki is much more accurate now then the comref I received to add to the wiki. Further to that Suma has spent quite a bit of time also making corrections, and adding content. You will likely have to wait until ArmA is released for an offline copy.

Hoz

Guys, do you think you can simulate LOAL (Lock on after Launch) in AmrA with the new scripting commands? notworthy.gif

LOAL is very common in modern combats; an IR air-to-air missile, a sound homing torpedo, an IR homing cluster bomb, laser guided bomb and missile and etc.

Its already been done from what I'v seen. Atleast the LOAL and air laser targetting.

Its already been done from what I'v seen. Atleast the LOAL and air laser targetting.

No, LOAL has not yet been properly done, there is no way to lock on to a target after launch.

Guys, do you think you can simulate LOAL (Lock on after Launch) in AmrA with the new scripting commands? notworthy.gif

LOAL is very common in modern combats; an IR air-to-air missile, a sound homing torpedo, an IR homing cluster bomb, laser guided bomb and missile and etc.

Now that would be cool if we could do that! Man I sure do hope we are able to simulate it!

Where all these specific ammo-carrier commands (for ammo boxes and such) in OFP? And wouldn't it be nice if we can now carry ammo boxes, load them into a blackhawk?

Quote[/b] ]Now that would be cool if we could do that! Man I sure do hope we are able to simulate it!

You should be able to do that now, with OFP. With the usual work arounds. But commands to associated firing and target vehicles with camcreated missiles e.t.c would be great. But perhaps that will have to wait to game 2.

As for LOAL in Arma and OFP, I think you will see them in one form or another. It might take a little time to get round to it, but it's definetly on the cards.

Btw, I 've found another new camera command : SetAperture

Aperture is an optical word, which determines a size of hole on a slit. If the size is small, all range comes in focus. And if the size is large, only small range comes in focus and you have to select the range adjusting a camera lens.

Here are examples of the aperture.

Small Aperture

Three figures are all in focus when the aperture is small.

Large Aperture

But only middle figures is in focus when the aperture is large. Of course, you also have to choose which figure to be in focus by adjusting the camera lens. smile_o.gif

Hmmm, do I see a way to create an adjustable scope?

Quote[/b] ]Hmmm, do I see a way to create an adjustable scope?
Quote[/b] ]Sets custom camera aperture (-1 to do it automatically).

I imagine it's just another camcommand. As in an FMV, like an intro or what not. But I could be wrong. ArmA does support DX9 and all it's shiny effects, so they could pull off some very neat things eh?

Quote[/b] ]Now that would be cool if we could do that! Man I sure do hope we are able to simulate it!

You should be able to do that now, with OFP. With the usual work arounds. But commands to associated firing and target vehicles with camcreated missiles e.t.c would be great. But perhaps that will have to wait to game 2.

As for LOAL in Arma and OFP, I think you will see them in one form or another. It might take a little time to get round to it, but it's definetly on the cards.

Man I can hardly wait. pistols.gif

Yes I can! Yes I can! crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Hmmm, do I see a way to create an adjustable scope?
Quote[/b] ]Sets custom camera aperture (-1 to do it automatically).

I imagine it's just another camcommand. As in an FMV, like an intro or what not. But I could be wrong. ArmA does support DX9 and all it's shiny effects, so they could pull off some very neat things eh?

Man I just cant wait to see how modders will take advantage of all this good stuff!

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">kbAddDatabase

From Bohemia Interactive Community

Jump to: navigation, search

[edit]

person kbAddDatabase filename

Operand types:

person: Object

filename: String

Type of returned value:

Boolean

Compatibility:

Version 2.56 required.

Function not available in Armed Assault.

Description:

Register knowledge base database to given person.

Example:

_unit kbAddDatabase "chat.txt"

Function not available in Armed Assault?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/kbAddDatabase

Sounds like it's for Game 2 in the roleplaying aspect.

I noticed this in the examples for the moveinturret command:

Quote[/b] ]soldierOne moveInTurret [tank, [0, 0]]

turretPath [0,0] moves the soldier in the first turret of the first turret of a vehicle, [0, 2, 1] would move him to the second turret of the third turret of the first turret, [1] moves him to the second turret of a vehicle. Turret order has to be defined in the class [[CfgVehicles]] of the [[Config]].

If I'm interpreting this right, it means that not only can vehicles have numerous turrets, but that individual turrets can have their own turrets. So, for example a ship could have three main turrets, and each main turret could have 2 AA turrets on top, with each AA turret possessing multiple indepedently-rotating MGs.

I noticed this in the examples for the moveinturret command:
Quote[/b] ]soldierOne moveInTurret [tank, [0, 0]]

turretPath [0,0] moves the soldier in the first turret of the first turret of a vehicle, [0, 2, 1] would move him to the second turret of the third turret of the first turret, [1] moves him to the second turret of a vehicle. Turret order has to be defined in the class [[CfgVehicles]] of the [[Config]].

If I'm interpreting this right, it means that not only can vehicles have numerous turrets, but that individual turrets can have their own turrets. So, for example a ship could have three main turrets, and each main turret could have 2 AA turrets on top, with each AA turret possessing multiple indepedently-rotating MGs.

Yep

They already stated that the turret animations can work on other turrets.

A tank getting a hull, the hull getting a commander MG (and the commander MG getting... no, that's all tounge2.gif )

hehe does this mean a WH40K mod could be done justice? what with the ammount of turrets some the vehicles have got in that universe.

also it be intresting to see what else the community will devlope with this. Battle ships and the like.

Well, is there any methot to detect a vector of a fired bullet precisely? In OFP, if the bullet is too fast to disappear, it often fails to detect it.

IsPlayer

but no

IsServer

this imo should have been in ofp beta 0.0001

Quote[/b] ]but no

IsServer

this imo should have been in ofp beta 0.0001

Apparently there is in VBS1, so perhaps it's just an omission? I believe the list of new commands on the wiki, are not finalised.

I might want to follow up on that well knowing that this post has about 2% chance of getting to the actual guys who create script commands.

2 main areas the current script list is missing:

1. Multiplayer functions. Examples are such as Terox's above. But Bn's Network Services are the best example of what one needs:

Functions to execute code on other nodes,Functions to start functions on other nodes(and supplying them with data) and functions to send data around by its own.(What about making publicVariable able to send everything) and Functions determining which node a player is sitting on(Such as IsClient and IsServer,IsDedicatedServer).

2. String Functions. Back in the days when I used to mess around with C++ or other programming languages(OFP put a complete stop to that icon_rolleyes.gif) usually you already had a library with string functions in it. I am talking about things like returning the length of a string,extracting a certain amount out of the string. toUpper,toLower,StringtoChar,ChartoString would also be nice.

The third point is that in the current list that is avaible to us there are certain attributes you can either set or get,but not both. Example "SetMarkerText" but no "getmarkertext" or "markertext"

Sure,I don't know how the internal version of the script list looks or what the plans are,but with the Information-policy it is always down to assuming and guessing just like I am assuming here that some areas simply were overlooked

Quote[/b] ]Functions to execute code on other nodes,Functions to start functions on other nodes(and supplying them with data) and functions to send data around by its own.

It's there, all be it, indirectly. Can't remember the exact command. But there is one to add commands to an objects init event. Not sure but you may be able to do that all ready with OFP addeventhandler and the init event. Anyway, if you wade through the Arma wiki, it does mention it.

Edit: Here it is setVehicleInit

Quote[/b] ]What about making publicVariable able to send everything

Again thats covered indirectly, but you will never be able to send array pointers. Unless they re-design the way array names are handled. Not even sure if CoC NS can send array pointers. It's possible, just don't know if they ever covered it.