Sign in to follow this  
caveman

graphics in game

one thing i was thinking about lately was in armed assault if someone has a top of the range gfx card and has settings on high and they see bushes and hide in them will they just seem to be lieing on the floor in nothing to those with lower range gfx cards...Sorry if there has been a thread about this b4 but i have a life besides reading forums 24/7...lol

I think that lower end will render less detailed lods of the bushes further away, like in OFP. It can be an advantage or disadvantage, depends on the direction and the type of bush. But grass, that's a different matter, I think it will not be rendered at all after certain point so you can't really hide in it.

We had a similar problem in Soldner, where some people (generally those with lower end systems) would turn the grass off. Others, with higher end systems, and those who wanted it for eye-candy, would leave the grass on. This was initially thought to give an advantage to those who had it off, as they could lay down and snipe whereas those with it on couldn't. But in the end it actually made little difference...

Guest Ti0n3r

My main concern is the grass. Hopefully the server will be able to force players to have the grass visibility set X amount of meters.

I don't think the grass will be a system killer though. My common sense told me that whistle.gif

My main concern is the grass. Hopefully the server will be able to force players to have the grass visibility set X amount of meters.

I don't think the grass will be a system killer though. My common sense told me that whistle.gif

The grass in OFP:E and thus probably in Arma too, isn't really high enough or thick enough to hide in. It's a very nice visual touch which adds to the immersion, but I wouldn't worry about people turning it off as they would be able to see you even with it on.

Hahaha. This reminds me of the BF1942 debacle. People running their systems for maximum eyecandy would be hiding in bushes and ducking behind sapplings.. and all those snipers with all that garbage turned off would observe them running through a barren field like tin ducks on a conveyor belt. I hope that all mp maps are locked at low/med detail level.

Joint Operations had a good solution to this problem.

Which was?.....at least tell us crazy_o.gif

Graphics in game needs to be improved, especially the foliage of trees and bushes.

I like the palm trees though.

I know trees and bushes have that specific quality, maybe thats what made OFP so Special..

What i want to say is:

<ul>Will this old specific quality of OFP trees and bushes FIT/Appropriate in this kinda graphics?

I repeat: Palm trees are nice! but trees and bushes suck.

Which was?.....at least tell us crazy_o.gif

JO grass disappears beyond about 25 m or so, but anything in the grass turns the same color as the terrain, so you are hidden, no matter what the range.

The only problem with the grass is that you are only hidden when the background is the same color as the terrain.

Graphics in game needs to be improved, especially the foliage of trees and bushes.

I like the palm trees though.

I know trees and bushes have that specific quality, maybe thats what made OFP so Special..

What i want to say is:

<ul>Will this old specific quality of OFP trees and bushes FIT/Appropriate in this kinda graphics?

You seem to complain a lot about everything.

I've seen every pic released and in the more green grassy areas the trees and bushes look a lot better then OFP, the problem with people like you is you take WIP screenshots far to seriously and go overboard with the bitching.

I'm glad BIS are releasing WIP screenshots because the game is looking so much better then what it did mid last year.

I remember original OFP where we smoked the enemy with grenades and I run across the clearing (all in smoke) just to get killed in a second... i asked the other guy (my friend) how the heck did he see me in all the smoke?! And he replied "what smoke? I don't have any smoke turned on..." wow_o.gif

Well, that was a big dissapointment wink_o.gif and a good laugh too wink_o.gif

Devs: hopefully that won't happen with fancy "sunglare" this time... you seem to mention it in every PR.

You seem to complain a lot about everything.

I've seen every pic released and in the more green grassy areas the trees and bushes look a lot better then OFP, the problem with people like you is you take WIP screenshots far to seriously and go overboard with the bitching.

I'm glad BIS are releasing WIP screenshots because the game is looking so much better then what it did mid last year.

here we go again..

Forums are for this kinda things. People say their opinion.

If BIS want poeple to buy their game its good for them to hear the community, as i play OFP for some time now and every little improvement can increase inspirations for new mission ideas. Thats why i expose my ideas.

people like you how complain about others opinions are a pain in the ass.

I care for this game. I want to build better maps created by inspirations.

I'm sure saying "but trees and bushes suck." will really help BIS.

I've noticed these comments in a lot of threads, not just this one.

here we go again..

Forums are for this kinda things. People say their opinion.

If BIS want poeple to buy their game its good for them to hear the community, as i play OFP for some time now and every little improvement can increase inspirations for new mission ideas. Thats why i expose my ideas.

people like you how complain about others opinions are a pain in the ass.

I care for this game. I want to build better maps created by inspirations.

Forums are for sharing opinions, they aren't for excessively and repeatedly bitching and moaning and complaining, they're also not for continually demanding more and more, give us new interviews, new screenshots, new this, new that, that's is the kind of post you are making 99% of the time, cut it out please.

I'm very sure you're capable of sharing your opinion without the need for this kind of excessive trolling that you're doing. You need to put a stop to it please.

placebo your not beeing fair on this subject, you could moderat it abit too.

in some way people think the same. the only difference is that i post.

Ill stop post these bitching demands you point. But i wount stop giving my opinions about how ARMA can be better/improved.

I'm sure saying "but trees and bushes suck." will really help BIS.

I've noticed these comments in a lot of threads, not just this one.

Well, basicly that is because it's a fact.

OFP foliage is nice and lowpoly, but the texture size is giving all those blocks. Either find a way to use Intellisample on foliage, or uppen the texture size.

Considering Bis has already uppened the average texture files I think number 2 is certainly possible. considering this is Game2 detail, I think ArmA will be something between this and OFP.

EDIT: forgot ] sad_o.gif

considering this is Game2 detail, I think ArmA will be something between this and OFP.

EDIT: forgot ]  sad_o.gif

Next generation PC Game, so i dont expect that in ArmA, and our PCs arent supposed to run it very well, The ArmA trees are probably just 1 step up from Resistance  smile_o.gif

(The Oblivion trees are more or less like that now, but is that suited for a game like OFP/ArmA? No, because we need a much higher viewdistance, wich would kill our PCs  tounge2.gif )

EDIT: These bushes/trees look good enough for me, but keep in mind that we need this amount of trees! biggrin_o.gif

You guys have to consider how big the OFP/ArmA world is and how many objects are displayed at once. Sure if it was some shooter like Call of Duty 2 which didn't have very detailed bushes etc you could say they look average, but the map sizes of games like COD2 you cant compare to OFP/ArmA.

OFP/ArmA has to render so much more to give us that realistic feel like we are actually fighting on earth not some narrow pathway (which nothing exists behind those walls) that gives you very little options in how you complete the mission. It's the same thing with games like Doom 3, they focus more on graphics in very small worlds.

Dont play other game so cant compair graphics from other games.

Just said my personal opinion. I may not say exactly what BIS could do to improve graphics because works excape me.

I do understand BIS have big work changing all these effect in a very big map but would worth it  wink_o.gif

Foliage trees some times are square, it could be more detailed and round or something..

I say this because when you creat a video for a mission i like to involve nature in that video, and would like to count on good vegetation to make mission more inspiring.

BIS is in a good way for that. They already showed us some impressive pics, in my visual opinion only folliage needs to be changed

Dont play other game so cant compair graphics from other games.

Just said my personal opinion. I may not say exactly what BIS could do to improve graphics because works excape me.

Dont bother with other games. Every game i've played since owning OFP has fallen short of my expectations. I had Doom3, got fed up with that in a week. CoD2, was useless after only a few days. Brothers in Arms came close to being great games, but sure enough they also lost theire apeal. Sure they may look good and be full of action and fancy effects, but thats it. In a week you've finished the game and there's never any atraction to go back to it.

OFP is still as good today as it was then, even with out mods and fancy addons.

The trees in CWC were not too good, i have to agree. Just a few flat polygons crosed over each other.

But then the trees Resistance on Nogova were much better. I'm sure that ArmAs trees will be even better again. Pluss, don't they blow around in the wind?

Guest Ti0n3r

Ever seen the Elite trees in motion? That's not ugly. wow_o.gif

yeah its not ugly.

In a OFP:E video (first one that came out, correct me if im wrong) we can see our own shadows in the trees..

even if the trees dance in the wind.. im i right?