Sign in to follow this  
caveman

graphics in game

Guest Ti0n3r
yeah its not ugly.

In a OFP:E video (first one that came out, correct me if im wrong) we can see our own shadows in the trees..

even if the trees dance in the wind.. im i right?

Indeed you are xmas_o.gif

One of the old videos (no Official) of ArmA we can see a tank coming behind a house and see it's shadow in that house.. It looks so damn natural, its very impressive.

I believe shadows will be amazing and very detailed on static objects and on dynamic objects. smile_o.gif

My main concern is whether the game is going to support wide-screen resolutions. I recently got myself 19" widescreen LCD and noticed that many recent games do not support the native resolution. OFP had that resolution but it wasn't perfect and looked a bit streched. So hopefully ArmA will have proper widescreen support.

About grass.

On low end machines the grass will most likely be there. It will just obviously not look as good nor have as much opacity has high detail grass. Low end machines will be at a dissadvantage.

If youve read the rough min spec guide and youve had a heart attack about how much your needing to upgrade. Dont panic just yet. Wait till its on your computer, BIS are constantly optimizing. (go man go!wink_o.gif With the new streaming tech, its allowed for grass, so welcome it with open arms biggrin_o.gif

About graphics in general.

parallax mapping. (look it up if you dont know what it is)

This is a pretty amazing graphical technology that works similar to bump mapping but does a better job. Its designed to desive the eye in thinking something is alot more high poly that it is.

The bullet holes in "FEAR" are a perfect example. At first i thought it was a real model but when you look at it side on, you realise what it is. im not sure how useful this would be in armed assult, the normal maps on the brickwork look great as it is.

The wow factor is already there. But for things like Iron sights, this would be a first that its used for that. Bullet holes in soldiers, tanks, walls, roads, ground and trees.

on another point about graphics. I think native support widescreen should be addressed. I bought a nice wide screen lcd becuase i realised how instantly better it looked at nearly no hit in performance games looked. call of duty 2 feels very immersive as does the new Ghost recon. The field of view in widescreen is designed to simulate how a real person sees. And since you developers are in a quest for realisim (and fun) i dont think you can avoid this feature smile_o.gif

If you do decide this feature is worth having, please, please make sure the asspect ratio is correct for the iron sites/scopes. nothing worse than a oval scope and fat iron site biggrin_o.gif

Rant over. thanks for reading.

Looking at it from a technical perspective I can see grass working one of two ways (I'm sure there's more, but these two are the ones that popped into my head).

1) Grass will be like bushes, objects placed on the island by the island creator. In OFP objects placed on the island by the creator could not be removed. I can't see a graphics option being able to turn these off if this is the case. LODs could be used to help the lower end systems.

2) Grass is tied to the ground texture. If this is the case then the grass is created after the fact and could be capable of being turned off by graphic settings.

Personally I'm guessing that it will be the first option.

My main concern is whether the game is going to support wide-screen resolutions. I recently got myself 19" widescreen LCD and noticed that many recent games do not support the native resolution. OFP had that resolution but it wasn't perfect and looked a bit stretched. So hopefully ArmAs will have proper widescreen support.

OFP/OFPR got already relative good wide-screen support :

You need to change aspect ratio by changing FOV to different value in horizontal / vertical direction within OFP/OFPR user cfg to use widescreen

in most cases just leave the fovTop untouched and change fovLeft only.

Maybe You also want to limit 2D rendering area to ensure 2D items aspect stays correct and for that use uiTopLeftX and uiBottomRightX values.

hopefully it helps You to enjoy game in wide smile_o.gif

Ah, the old problem of scarcity. Unlimited wants, but limited resources. I'm curious about how this affects BIS. Everyone notices the not-so-pretty parts of Armed Assault in the screen shots (ex. the bushes) and we ask for improvements. At the same time we worry about how well our computers will handle the game.

Well where do the goals of good graphics and smooth performance reach a point of serious confliction? Currently, Armed Assault generally looks very nice. When forum posters ask for additional graphical improvements in the plants, character models, etc. are we being unreasonable? I think a lot of people would like to know just how nice a game can look and still run swimmingly on an average computer. BIS must have unique graphics constraints due to their (incredibly) far visible distance range.

I'm asking this because I find the process of making video/computer games interesting and I have this silly notion in my head that I'm going to make computer games for a living when I grow up.

After the ARMA trailer [15 MB], (01:12 min) we see the graphics improved alot .

They are very detailed and still remains the same OFP style (my tought = Positive)

For those who don't know OFP this might be a "problem", a game that was not very explored as some already think.

Will the graphics be worth to improved even more in order to captivate new people and maybe Publishers?

(i really don't care for better graphics but i don't mind and BIS might want to have even more consumers "Hollywood style")