Sign in to follow this  
PainDealer

IDEA Games at E3

Why on earth would you bother with digital distribution, given that most people who play the game do so offline, let along have a broadband connection to download it with!!!huh.gif!!! WAKEUP! Only do this when you can make a bigger cut from selling it online.

Hi - I disagree with you. Most players I know, including Teamates, play OFP mostly if not only ONLINE. Probably the greatest interest of OFP is in online cooperative multipayers gaming thumbs-up.gif

Err, of course most players you know play online. You know them _because_ they are online.

Is a 1 minute trailer (which by the way rocked! all we're gonna see of this game from E3?

Will there be no demonstration?

Will there be any more video of actual gameplay?

...and the Humvee's didn't render and shadows (its a small thing i know)....

If you you're looking that close, surely you'll notice that NOTHING else in that opening scene has shadows either wink_o.gif

well there are acturaly shadows on everything at that scene

we cant see it is because it is only a bit dimmer then the surroundings wink_o.gif

Is a 1 minute trailer (which by the way rocked! all we're gonna see of this game from E3?

Will there be no demonstration?

Will there be any more video of actual gameplay?

E3 is over, so i don't think we will see anything else. sad_o.gif

Klavan

Can someone tell me whats wrong with the graphics, I've played HL2 & farcry and the only difference I can see is decent water and a lack of LSD induced colours.

Also is it the camera angle or does that palm tree move heaps when the heli takes off just after the idea-games logo.

No its given a gust of wind that causes it to momentarily "shoot backwards" I agree,I don't see how the graphics are bad,why do you think I called the interveiwers blind? wink_o.gif Another thing I noticed..I'm 70% sure that vehicles can have reflections in AA...look at the blackhawk and watch it in the vid.

Quote[/b] ]Will there be any more video of actual gameplay?

I guess the reason why we don´t see actual gameplay footage is because the product is still in Alpha and not fully operational atm.

Imagine an ingame trailer with lots of errors on units, animations, gameplay and gfx issues.

Taking the comments from the com here into account it would be a very negative downblast to ArAs image and community hopes and the press would flatten it. Just look at the amount of posts about the "wrong" swaying of palmtrees. Take that onto a whole alpha gameplay footage and you´ll realize that it would be ripped to pieces by the "demanding com" and the press.

I don´t go conform with all that nitpicking by the com btw. BIS are not blind, I guess it´s somewhat useless to put fingers on this and that all over the time. They have already shown that they know how to make realistic games. I don´t think they need a bunch of experts who get lost in debating the sway-mode of palmtrees. Period.

Ingame footage for sure will be released if ArAs has evolved. Releasing such today would be a bad idea for BIS and for the product.

Guest Ti0n3r

I hope Placebo will record some 'trailers' like he did for Elite. Those were great.

For me graphics only keeps me interested for a week or two, what keeps me involved with OFP is the gameplay. If there was a new game that came out today with far better graphics then anything ever released but with horrible and boring gameplay would we be playing it for more then a week?, I dout it. Games like this are like a lot of the bullshit hollywood movies these days, you see them at the cinemas once and never again.

Indeed..I could walk around on foot in most war games and find a barrier that kills me or something. "wtf?",same shit different day,small closed in space,I loved OFP because when I started walking..I got fifteen minutes in and thought. "Hot damn does this ever end?!" Its things like that that give you a warm tingly feeling inside.

And to be honest I think AA's graphics are better than some of the more recent games really,so it might not have the uber high shaders that farcry or somethin had,that game,though you could be outdoors,was mostly indoors based right? Most games ya see with these really special shaders and whatnot are generally indoor based and usually the same stuff and have a restricted line that you die in quickly thats not really even all that far away.

before I mentioned games that have been out for about 2 years so to be fair I had a look at whats coming out since AA is not released.

I saw a couple of shots of crysis jungle scene then found this demo made last year going by the thread I read....yes graphics do make a first impression.

http://gamershell.ii.net/cgi-bin/fh2...ektechdemo.zip

I agree gameplay is more important than graphics anyday. I mean look at BF2 I have played it and it looks pretty on a decent card, but the gameplay sucks.  It is way too arcady and the way you do well at the game is to use cheap exploits.  I also saw something about the Hidden and Dangerous 2 game and I agree that this is a great game as well.  So any of you faithful OFP fans should really check it out as it is a smaller company who is more about gameplay than graphics. Unlike some other kind of money hogs (cough) EA.  On a final note I am glad you all didn't listen or care about that trash article by that german magazine and stayed true to BIS and OFP.  We know that OFP is the best game ever made and that AA will be that great if not better especially with the help of all the talented addon makers.

For me graphics only keeps me interested for a week or two, what keeps me involved with OFP is the gameplay. If there was a new game that came out today with far better graphics then anything ever released but with horrible and boring gameplay would we be playing it for more then a week?, I dout it. Games like this are like a lot of the bullshit hollywood movies these days, you see them at the cinemas once and never again.

I'm sure the gaming industry (atleast the large corporations) do this intentionally as they want you to part with your money frequently. It would be no use if they made a game that you played for months on end because there would be no profit in that. The gaming industry is a shallow one and more and more studios are following in that vain. Bethesda (oblivion) is a good example as there true fans have been for want of a better word, let down. Bethesda made oblivion around the Xbox 360 then tweaked it for the PC thus upsetting the hardcore RPg fans. There's more i could say but it would be a rather long post. Thankfully BIS havn't yet strayed down that path and are focused on keeping there loyal fans happy rather than surcoming to the massmarketing of console kiddies. I do own a 360 but i'm not your steriotypical console user.

I hope that I am right here

Gamestar at ArmA E3: http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/action/33575/

its not verry good...

yes yes i, my english suckt. :P

- Flashpoint, nothing else

- they have woken up for a few days and have improved the textures and have inflated the island

- good improvement of the movements

- Both other innovations appear to us rather embarrassment-work,

- appears in times of graphic arts scaffoldings like the Unreal engine 3 or even of the Cry-engine like a bad joke

- But what wants to deliver Bohemia there - more than give. Therefore, maybe nobody also was of the company on site.

Only for the moment, needed a better translation

Will ask in the team

btw: thx Night-[Ranger], it wrote the Link  in the bis-ingame Forum. smile_o.gif

That's one of the reason I dont buy Gamestar for the last 3 years now. And I won't buy it in the future.

These guys really don't have a clue how to write an objective preview! Hope that the publishers will convice themselves by testing the game and not reading this rubbish!

even pcgames.de, which is also not very accurate when it comes to tactical shooter games, had a much better preview!

I'm sure the gaming industry (atleast the large corporations) do this intentionally as they want you to part with your money frequently. It would be no use if they made a game that you played for months on end because there would be no profit in that. The gaming industry is a shallow one and more and more studios are following in that vain. Bethesda (oblivion) is a good example as there true fans have been for want of a better word, let down. Bethesda made oblivion around the Xbox 360 then tweaked it for the PC thus upsetting the hardcore RPg fans. There's more i could say but it would be a rather long post. Thankfully BIS havn't yet strayed down that path and are focused on keeping there loyal fans happy rather than surcoming to the massmarketing of console kiddies. I do own a 360 but i'm not your steriotypical console user.

ah yes another good point i forgot in my previous post.  The game industry today gives many of us gamers a letdown.  The companies make it so they can throw it out on consoles and on PCs and so the PC version is not all that great because its toned down and things are ripped out. The market is all about the lil 12-13 year old kiddies and their consoles and even the computer games that come out are many times geared toward this age group.  Its quite obvious if you watched G4TVs coverage of E3. Personally I was quite annnoyed that I watched hours of that crap hoping to see some things about computer games only to hear the same thing over and over about the new console systems. Between companies wanting more money, making games for both consoles and pcs at the same time and so many people wanting good graphics no matter what the cost (AKA the freedom to move around and no invisible barriers making you go their way) good gameplay games are so hard to find and that is why I myself have been pushing AA so hard to all my friends. As I mentioned in my previous post 2 of the best military games i have ever player are Hidden and Dangerous 2 and OFP. These games both had decent graphics in their time but their were others that were so much better.  However in orignality and gameplay these games couldn't and still can't be touched. In closing I would just like to say that graphics are more important to kiddies and so is the fact that it comes out on the console mommy and daddy bought them. While IMO true gamers are PC gamers who want a game with great gameplay and the freedom to make our own choices and really imerse ourselves into the game.

Yep gaming is made mostly for the younger generation of players as obviously it's where the most money is made, but I stopped buying games off the shelf that looked cool 7 years ago as I was wasting my money and found out a lot of these titles were pretty average. Now I stick to a select few games that I really enjoy overall which I always do a bit of research on the game or usualy download a demo or full version and try them out before buying.

The last 3 PC games I've bought are: OFP, NASCAR Racing 2003 by Papyrus and Lock On Flaming Cliffs, as you can see there all simulations which are still the best to date.

For consoles the last system I bought is a SEGA Dreamcast which I still play now and again, theres some really awesome titles on that system with good gameplay and the visuals using a monitor with the VGA box are pretty good considering the system was released in Japan 1998. DAYTONA USA anyone? hehe, that game is still a blast to play today in the arcades with 8 linked machines and the Dreamcast version is better again as far as graphics go, I moded Daytona USA myself for Dreamcast and replaced all the sounds with the arcade originals that I recorded from the arcade rom smile_o.gif

The last 3 PC games I've bought are: OFP, NASCAR Racing 2003 by Papyrus and Lock On Flaming Cliffs, as you can see there all simulations which are still the best to date.

The only game i've played in the last 18 month is OFP and VBS1. I've bought Farcry, H&D 2 addon and IL2 pacific fighters but i only played them for a few days before returning to OFP. There is something realy special about the gameplay of OFP but i can't put my finger on it. That's why i spent a lot of money on VBS1 because i wanted more of the same.

The only game i've played in the last 18 month is OFP and VBS1. I've bought Farcry, H&D 2 addon and IL2 pacific fighters but i only played them for a few days before returning to OFP. There is something realy special about the gameplay of OFP but i can't put my finger on it. That's why i spent a lot of money on VBS1 because i wanted more of the same.

Actually I forgot adding VBS1 to that list which I bought last year, but I still think of VBS1 as OFP with some improvements and really nice looking units and vehicles etc.

I could see many things about OFP I like...for once,the obvious,freedom. Two would be animation times..in most if not all games,the time it takes to go between crouching or prone takes a mere second,during which you can fire with no trouble at all,whereas in OFP you can't do crap while doing so. Not to mention while crawling you dont a third arm that sprouts out of nowhere offscreen that scoots you up while the other two hold the gun like most games do. Then theres how easy it is to mod and whatnot,you don't have to spend alot of time making a specific mod to get everything,you can make addons and use as many as you want (provided you dont run into issues). Another thing I loved was how the gun didn't always stay focused on the center of the screen. The next would have to be vehicles,you dont drive and shoot at the same time while being able to move a gun,it just ain't happenin in OFP,you do one or the other,or you can drive and fire but not move the gun. Those and OFP's storyline seemed more military..no fancy bases,no "omg we have uber forces" (well..Russians may have) but yaknow what I mean. Plus,like stated before,the versatilty of being able to get to and accomplish mission objectives how you see fit,you can take the right way,or the wrong way,aside from being killed,the game won't stop ya.

And one other thing I forgot,no jumping,this is one of things I loved about OFP,for once you go somewhere and you don't see bunny hoppers,and I hope they never add jumping unless done by command menu when near an object.

But I suppose that would be more of a "climb over" thing,not so much as jumping,well,rants done,off to bed to sleep with my rubber chicken. goodnight.gif

ive got a blow up doll

and ive never seen army guys jumping around

like buunys. its 1 of the many thing that makes ofp so real

wink_o.gif

I hope IDEA will get some publishers interested, i can't understand why they are not just assaulting the Kentia Hall right now, i know i would have invaded the place if i was there and would have annoyed the PR guys present inside for the whole day wink_o.gif

It seems some marketing department should move out their own website a bit and look in other forum than their own sometime, this way they would notice that from all the wargaming, simulations and tactical games forum you can read, OFP is praised even after all those years, and lot of people expect great things from the sequel, leading to think that ArmA will certainly make even better sells than the already impressive million OFP sold.

I wish there was more publishers like Shrapnel Games though.

I hope IDEA will get some publishers interested, i can't understand why they are not just assaulting the Kentia Hall right now, i know i would have invaded the place if i was there and would have annoyed the PR guys present inside for the whole day wink_o.gif

It seems some marketing department should move out their own website a bit and look in other forum than their own sometime, this way they would notice that from all the wargaming, simulations and tactical games forum you can read, OFP is praised even after all those years, and lot of people expect great things from the sequel, leading to think that ArmA will certainly make even better sells than the already impressive million OFP sold.

I wish there was more publishers like Shrapnel Games though.

Well publishers only want money, they don't "choose" a game out of a sort idealstatement. So I can imagine if I was a publisher it is far easier to sell a concept that works for sure... Things like BF, Call of Duty etc.. Armed Assault is relatively new concept. So there is a great risk involved. And most publishers just as like developers don't like to take risks. Thats why you see so little diffrent games, and the lack of real creative ideas.

Sorry for my (really bad) English... confused_o.gif

Looks like E3 is closed now.

Do ARMA have publisher?

Looks like E3 is closed now.

Do ARMA have publisher?

Yeah they signed a deal with EA didn't you see, it's big news all over the net LOL.