Sign in to follow this  
PainDealer

IDEA Games at E3

Quote[/b] ]AUS_Twisted Posted on May 13 2006,14:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah they signed a deal with EA didn't you see, it's big news all over the net LOL.

Yeah, now won't you just shit your pants on monday when the breaking news says they did just that? nener.gif

Let's close this thread: IDEA Games at E3 was a pair of people in a toilet sized booth.

[edit] arrr, you guys make my thoughts revolve around EA too much.

signing with EA is just about the only thing BIS could do to make me not buy ArmA :-P

signing with EA is just about the only thing BIS could do to make me not buy ArmA :-P

yeah EA sucks monkey balls, would still buy it tho, or at least just download it and donate to BIS tounge2.gif

My overall impression was that Idea Games has a lot of experience with publishers and knows what they want and how to present the pretty package, not focusing on gameplay.

However, after spending many hours playing many many games on the show floor, and attending quite a few workshops/conferences, it sounds like publishers are beginning to genuinely want the edge in creativitiy. Haden Blackman (Lucasarts project lead) in his opening statement in "Trends in Game Making and Publishing" admitted the new focus has to be on open, dynamic simulations. He said one of the biggest challenges for him has been transforming his team from the old mindsets to be a team that does many of the things this forum constantly bashes big publishers for not doing.

IMHO, signing with EA or Microsoft would be the best possible outcome for BIS. No one is adapting to the market more then the biggest publishers, they have the brightest magagement. Their reputations are justified, but they adapt like none other.

I didnt say that to IDEA of course, and they did not discuss any specific publishers with me, so I still have no idea what could happen. But if BIS goes under over this kind of thing, the publishers arent to blame.

My camera batteries died at the last minute while they were packing up friday, dangit, but my other E3 pics are on waskosky.com/blog

you realise EA have sh*t on every title they've ever produced ? the aim has always been to produce disposable games. Games with a wide enough audience to get 12 year olds to buy it, and with a short enough life span for them to be able to sell you their next bowl movement. OPF was about quality and longevity, just about the polar opposite.

you did play godfather for the PC, right ?

edit:... or bf2 ? .... or NHL ?

Quote[/b] ]Armed Assault is relatively new concept.

Armed Assault is OFP and it's older than both of those games that you mentioned.

--

I also said that EA would not be a bad publisher for BIS. They may be hated but you do want BIS to make money don't you? If EA can make money, and make everyone love, a game, that all reviewers and players admit is flawed in its basic design and gameplay, then surely selling this game would be an easy task for EA.

--Ben

Guest Ti0n3r

BF2 is a great game. You know what? You can be a hardcore OFP fan and still enjoy BF2. Maybe that's cause I'm an idiot? wink_o.gif

I don't give damn about what publisher BIS will eventually sign a deal with. As long as BIS makes the game without letting the publisher tell them what etc etc etc...

yea, bf2 is a good game. i've played it my fair share. -- but it's not half the game it should / could have been.

I don't give damn about what publisher BIS will eventually sign a deal with. As long as BIS makes the game without letting the publisher tell them what etc etc etc...

i agree with it!

yea, i do agree. - but thats why i dont think EA are right. it'd be a tough time for BIS to resist the EA effect....

if BIs just get a box on a shelf somewhere, anywhere. let word of mouth do the rest. its very under rated. but if a game is good enough, people will buy it.

Guest Ti0n3r

Hmm I can't access the E3 2006 article help.gif

Quote[/b] ]Armed Assault takes place on the fictional island of Saruyuan around 2010.

WTF? crazy_o.gif

calm down people we are talking gayspy here, try to think back and remember what you did whilst waiting for pop ups to go away,before you could enter game lobby/launch room smile_o.gif. brb just going to china whistle.gif

Worked a second ago. Guess it's been removed temporarily.

Guest Ti0n3r

While we wait... wink_o.gif

briefing5md.th.jpg cqc2pq.th.jpg

yea, i do agree. - but thats why i dont think EA are right. it'd be a tough time for BIS to resist the EA effect....

if BIs just get a box on a shelf somewhere, anywhere. let word of mouth do the rest. its very under rated. but if a game is good enough, people will buy it.

EA should have a tough time resisting the BIS effect.

I showed a friend the screenshot of the soldier on the mountain overlooking the distant city. He said, "You won me over. I'm getting that game." Go on, convert your friends.

URL=http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=briefing5md.jpg]huh.gif

I really like the mission preview screen. Looks functional, the map is pregenerated as in OFP, and the markers look good. The blood effect on the other pic is a bit puffy, but then again at least you can see that you hit the enemy for now. Plus I guess some crazy guys will mod a complete injury system with AA's scripting system. crazy_o.gif

Too bad that baddy is out in the open, why would he want to endanger his life? wink_o.gif

Ah well, the new engine is looking great!

briefing5md.th.jpg

I really hope the bit at the upper-right can be used for movies wink_o.gif .

if OFP supports movies in a Hud/setobject like manner, so many possibilities would open...