Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

English Translation of DOUPE 15 article

Guest Ti0n3r

All this rage could have been avoided if someone at BIS just dropped by and said "Closer to mainstream just means that there will be multiple difficulty levels". (Wich is what I sure as hell hope it means)

But I know they won't dropp by. firefoxlover.gif

well its pretty obvious enough but if BIS wants to re-discover America, its free...

what Im talking about is, Im saying that if BIS tries to MIX the hardcore and casual gamers I think it will be the one of the biggest mistakes that have been occured in 21st century... does anybody taste a cold/hot coke yet? its is that contrast..

Plz someone could explain me what "mainstream players" mean? I'm no English you know... icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks in advance. smile_o.gif

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

Haha all this rage could have been avoided if someone at BIS just dropped by and said "Closer to mainstream just means that there will be multiple difficulty levels". (Wich is what I sure as hell hope it means)

But I know they won't dropp by.

No, listen, singleplayer will probably be ok i guess, but what i'm worried about is multiplayer with ex cod2 and battlefield players on my side (or the enemies side, i wouldn't wish them on anyone) - trying to act all heroic and run and gun, get their ass handed to them, get mad and shoot me in the back.

Plz someone could explain me what "mainstream players" mean? I'm no English you know... icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks in advance. smile_o.gif

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

Mainstream refers to a statistical inevitability, only best and worst are on the peaks while all the "casual" and useless (gaming wise) crowd take place in middle which is called "mainstream" .... in this case OFP Fans are located near the BEST peak with a low variance...

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

I guess they just added some difficulty levels into the game, bit like OFP:E I guess. So that more players who don't know how to play the game can play the game :P

Plz someone could explain me what "mainstream players" mean? I'm no English you know... icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks in advance.  smile_o.gif

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

Mainstream means the people that EA try to make their games for. 12 and 13 year old kids who like to run'n'gun without even thinking about strategy or tactics. EA do this simply because it makes money, but an unfortunate side effect is that we now have loads and loads of crappy, half-arsed FPS games out there that are all clones of one another...

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

I have to add this!,

you know sometimes you have to be silent and stealth in OFP and get close to unsuspecting enemy @ inch per second speed, and I suppose you also know that during these times some bozo comes up and open fire on sleeping enemy and getting them on alert and screwing up your stealth well planned moves for good, now that bozos are exactly the MAINSTREAMERS

Guest Ti0n3r

This is just my most humble opinion;

I don't know if Cod2 and Bf2 players are as bad as some people think. I've played both of these games quite a lot in the past. Sure, these games are different from Ofp. But the people I meet on public Bf2 or Cod2 servers are not very different from those I meet on public Ofp servers. Public gaming will always be public gaming and there will always be idiots, teamkillers and cheaters.

If we want to avoid these players we could either play on private servers or stick to servers that have "veteran mode" or whatever it will be called turned on.

Don't really know what I'm trying to say. Sorry goodnight.gif

Quote[/b] ]In der Mission, die wir bei der Präsentation bei den Entwicklern sehen konnten, musste sich der Spieler um die Säuberung einer Stadt kümmern, um asnchließend gegen ein Lager des Gegners vorzurücken. Während den Hauptverband ein mehrminütiges Vorrücken gegen den Ort der neuen Aufgabe erwartet, nimmt der Spieler die Rolle eines Scharfschützen ein und säubert die Anfahrtswege.

To me that sounds like in the presentation mission the player cleaned a city, then "switched" and lead an assault against an enemy camp.

Which ofcourse would suck balls if true so i hope i misinterpreted that. I wish i could read the original, but nay.

NO FREAKING WAY!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

I thought BIS was something different, I thought BIS is not that kind of a money sucker, but here it comes, YES. OH GOD WHY HAD THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN!? BIS! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING! Closer to mainstream! My ass! Ofp was something different, but now...I certainly wont be buying ArmA! confused_o.gif

Goodbye ArmA and BIS, I was expecting a quality product from you, but no. See you at Game 2 if it makes more sense, for now I'm buying Enemy in Sight. I am dissapointed goodnight.gif

I suggest you read the article before throwing a tantrum like that

Quote[/b] ]I'll clear everything for you: We won't be facing a revolution or an attack on something we loved, but rather an adjusting of the concept. There'll be multiple difficulty levels giving us the option to save more often, to make our fellow combattants tougher, to restrain friendly fire, etc.

Hardcore gamers and fans of OFP shouldn't panic though - ArmA still features the same tough and uncomprimising world they're already used (and they'll still get their super difficult mode)

I've bolded, underlined and italiced the important word : "option", like in : "you're not forced to use it". You want to get the same gameplay? Then, do NOT use these options and you'll have the same experience than OFP (see last sentence in quote).

This is really strange I think that so many starts to actually complain and whine about the game and the "mainstream" comment.

They already stated that we will still have the more "hardcore" settings just as in OPF, and other players will be drawn to the series and to the MP by the other "easier" options.

Besides that it ain`t really harder then to have it as server settings and all people are happy.

Another thing is that we might have players that scale their game as their skills increase and they want more realism and immersion from the game.

I have in my time since OPF came out read comments that players bought the game, it looked nice but it was to realistic and hard so they left it.

Now if you have other alternatives to the way one can approach the game I see that more people (that initially want to play the game) will actually stay with it just because it is more scalable in terms of playability.

It is as I see it a very good way to get a good stable and long lasting online MP environment established.

Many here from the community would be happy as it is ALL HARDCORE realism, which is totally cool with me couse I want it too, but then yet again I think BIS would also appriciate the fact that the online MP community would be like uhm 2-3 times as big (potentially) with a more "open" game as in terms of difficulty....I mean hardcore players would still play on "hardcore" servers anyway.

This is just my most humble opinion;

I don't know if Cod2 and Bf2 players are as bad as some people think. I've played both of these games quite a lot in the past. Sure, these games are different from Ofp. But the people I meet on public Bf2 or Cod2 servers are not very different from those I meet on public Ofp servers. Public gaming will always be public gaming and there will always be idiots, teamkillers and cheaters.

If we want to avoid these players we could either play on private servers or stick to servers that have "veteran mode" or whatever it will be called turned on.

Don't really know what I'm trying to say. Sorry goodnight.gif

True, in a lot of public servers there are people who act like 12 years-old (spamming the chat-box to try convince the admin to reassign and anoyying stuff like that, shoot people in the legs, comment on each kill or missed shot instead of playing etc.) in OFP, I rarely play in public servers so I join Squad-servers or password protected ones were everyone enjoys a good tactic game smile_o.gif.

This is really strange I think that so many starts to actually complain and whine about the game and the "mainstream" comment.

They already stated that we will still have the more "hardcore" settings just as in OPF, and other players will be drawn to the series and to the MP by the other "easier" options.

Besides that it ain`t really harder then to have it as server settings and all people are happy.

Another thing is that we might have players that scale their game as their skills increase and they want more realism and immersion from the game.

I have in my time since OPF came out read comments that players bought the game, it looked nice but it was to realistic and hard so they left it.

Now if you have other alternatives to the way one can approach the game I see that more people (that initially want to play the game) will actually stay with it just because it is more scalable in terms of playability.

It is as I see it a very good way to get a good stable and long lasting online MP environment established.

Many here from the community would be happy as it is ALL HARDCORE realism, which is totally cool with me couse I want it too, but then yet again I think BIS would also appriciate the fact that the online MP community would be like uhm 2-3 times as big (potentially) with a more "open" game as in terms of difficulty....I mean hardcore players would still play on "hardcore" servers anyway.

very well, now could you pls tell me how is that server gonna handle "details" like this,

I want to see an animation before switching weapons or getting into a vehicle like IRL, but those MSB (Mainstream Bozos) can only take a instant change between weapons, they cant withstand with current setting.

They want to use drive tanks singlehandedly while rotating the gun and looking thru the commander sight... and according to their idealism tank cannon fires only "shells" not APFSDS or HEAT

there are many details which cannot be changed with options which will effect the level of realism...

WE ARE EXPECTING MORE SIMULATION KIND GAME NOT ANOTHER SHOOTER....

Yes, i was expecting BIS to up the sim value of the game not downgrade it for monkeys. To me it seems they spent their time with including bullshit into the game and flushed useful things like improving tanks realism down the crapper. Release it now BIS stop adding crap i won't give a fuck about anyway, argh, who the fuck cares about some random "gamer", typical dumbasses who spend too much time infront of a comp getting fat, i hate "gamers". Let them stick to their crappy entertainment like Battlefield ,Spiderman 3 and their MMORPGs.

[/rant]

I think there will be two communities, one will be hardcore fans of veteran mode/cadet mode with friendly fire on (btw i play veteran and cadet mode and have fun with both), and the other one those players who like bf style of games.

I just hope they will get bored fast with veteran mode and friendly fire, so they don't play in these servers.

The serious problem will be for admins, sometimes its very annoying to have like 5+ players saying GOGOGOGO. With 60+ players there will be like 15+ players saying "GOGOGO", "night night", "no tk mode", etc, etc...

And about cti, i just hope cr and mf develop new scripts, like no mhq tk. I dont want to see players joining the game just to kill the mhq and then quit.

By the other hand, mainstream will bring us a lot more players to play with, i mean a lot of ppl only play bf because they never saw a game like flashpoint. Maybe arma can bring them to the light side from the dark wink_o.gif

The serious problem will be for admins, sometimes its very annoying to have like 5+ players saying GOGOGOGO. With 60+ players there will be like 15+ players saying "GOGOGO", "night night", "no tk mode", etc, etc...

Sure not. Give your server a servername like this: armandobronca's public server - VETERAN MODE

So, the n00bs don't will connect to your server (hope so)  rofl.gif

The realism in OFP made the game easier for me, not harder. In this game all I have to do is think about how a situation would play out in real life rather than having to learn the "rules" of the game world and how I can find an exploit of it. Little kids will always do that. My son now has more fun gunning thru an entire game, in GOD mode, in a couple of hours, than thinking and working his way thru a well made game. He beat Command and Conquer Renegades for yumping yiminy!

I sure hope that ArmA isn't made for him.

--Ben

I thought BIS was something different, I thought BIS is not that kind of a money sucker, but here it comes, YES. OH GOD WHY HAD THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN!? BIS! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING! Closer to mainstream! My ass! Ofp was something different, but now...I certainly wont be buying ArmA! confused_o.gif

Goodbye ArmA and BIS, I was expecting a quality product from you, but no. See you at Game 2 if it makes more sense, for now I'm buying Enemy in Sight. I am dissapointed goodnight.gif

I suggest you read the article before throwing a tantrum like that

Quote[/b] ]I'll clear everything for you: We won't be facing a revolution or an attack on something we loved, but rather an adjusting of the concept. There'll be multiple difficulty levels giving us the option to save more often, to make our fellow combattants tougher, to restrain friendly fire, etc.

Hardcore gamers and fans of OFP shouldn't panic though - ArmA still features the same tough and uncomprimising world they're already used (and they'll still get their super difficult mode)

I've bolded, underlined and italiced the important word : "option", like in : "you're not forced to use it". You want to get the same gameplay? Then, do NOT use these options and you'll have the same experience than OFP (see last sentence in quote).

The problem with having both a mainstream difficulty and a hardcore difficulty would be that the game needs to be designed to both. If you look at it, it's near-impossible. Let's say (I know this is probably exaggerated, but just to make it simple) that in the mainstream difficulty-setting a player can take 10 shots before he die, have unlimited ammunition, not effected by fatigue/injuries and has auto-aim. The mainstream player still wants to have a challenge, so the mission designers will probably give him a challenge by having a redicilous ratio of friendly/enemy soldiers per mission. Now, just think about playing the same mission with hard difficulty settings like no crosshair, no 3rd person, no GPS, etc. sad_o.gif

This of course also works the other way round. The mainstream player will get bored by only having to fight a couple of squads per mission. He's playing the game like an action movie so he expects to face as many soldiers as in, say, Call of Duty.

Sure not. Give your server a servername like this: armandobronca's public server - VETERAN MODE

So, the n00bs don't will connect to your server (hope so) rofl.gif

I doubt that.In my time dealing with OFP Multiplayer I have found out that most OFP MP players can't read.Our server is called Zeus Addon Server and I have already literally seen thousands try to connect without addons or with the wrong ones(Mind you,since 1.91(i think) the mods that are run are directly shown below the server name). The only way to keep players out that dont really want to play at your server but just click on the next best one without thinking is to put a huge amount of addons on it.

This little story about OFP MP brings me directly to my point:When was the last time anyone of you dealt with OFP MP? Its allready mainly populated with people that play "Mainstream" crap like DM and CTF on the tiniest possible maps all day long.Those people already have their own cheater community and people who whine about cheaters all day.So I dont get what players you fear.The worst are already there.On the same note,it's very easy to play OFP MP in a more sim-like fashion(or try to),just go to the right servers.OFP allows for both,If you dont like mainstream you can stay away from it.Sure I would be very very dissapointed if BIS "makes things easier" for mainstream boys (the guy with lowest IQ has to be able to play it as well -> dumb simplified controls) and limits the possibilities for people like us,but we will have to wait and see

EDIT:I have to add tho that i personally dont give a damn about BIS produced content.Ill buy Arma for the engine upgrades,hopefully WGL6 will fix the worst icon_rolleyes.gif

what exactly is your problem?

Yes, go play Enemy in Sight, probably better for the Arma Community! icon_rolleyes.gif

Guys-it meant multiple difficulty levels by mainstream. End of discussion.

Also, mainstream gamers aren't that bad. I cannot believe the amount of freaking out and stereotyping over ignorance right now. You guys sound like they are the devil themselves. The majority of mainstream gamers are generally respectful. The only real exception is CS, but I don't think we will be getting any of those...we will probably get more players from maybe america's army and such.

In fact, players on public ofp servers are some of the worst I have encountered. They have almost always been rude and coarse. The "good" ofp community lies in these forums and small coop games. And small coop games are rarely wide public servers anyway, so what is the big deal?

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

Mainstream means the people that EA try to make their games for. 12 and 13 year old kids who like to run'n'gun without even thinking about strategy or tactics. EA do this simply because it makes money, but an unfortunate side effect is that we now have loads and loads of crappy, half-arsed FPS games out there that are all clones of one another...

THX, I get it now! biggrin_o.gif

I hardly doubt that BIS would turn ArmA into a BF2 clone. I think they will add a new difficulty level to single player, which was already in OFP:E(e.g. foes and friendly players have colored silhouettes).

And logically it couldn't be turned on in MP, beyond that no one cares about which difficulty level do others play on. smile_o.gif

BTW IMHO the added savegame slots are nice.

I am sure that the whole mainstream thing will be all right. There are ways to implement both of them at the same time. I highly doubt that BIS would stab everyone in the back and say screw our hardcore fans. Just wait until the game comes out and you will all see it will all be okay.

Plz someone could explain me what "mainstream players" mean? I'm no English you know... icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks in advance.  smile_o.gif

"Ai now can take cover"

Sounds very good.

Mainstream means the people that EA try to make their games for.  12 and 13 year old kids who like to run'n'gun without even thinking about strategy or tactics.  EA do this simply because it makes money, but an unfortunate side effect is that we now have loads and loads of crappy, half-arsed FPS games out there that are all clones of one another...

THX, I get it now!  biggrin_o.gif

I hardly doubt that BIS would turn ArmA into a BF2 clone. I think they will add a new difficulty level to single player, which was already in OFP:E(e.g. foes and friendly players have colored silhouettes).

And logically it couldn't be turned on in MP, beyond that no one cares about which difficulty level do others play on. smile_o.gif

BTW IMHO the added savegame slots are nice.

lol sorry, that was very stereotypical of me. That's not how I usually am, but I am just angry at the amount of jerks I have played BF2 with, which is one reason I gave up with that sort of game in the end. Can you believe it? People are so dumb that they play BF2 and then join the army because they think you can get shot 7 times and still fight!!!