Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

English Translation of DOUPE 15 article

First ,"the same level of realism as OFP" in a game released in 2006 is laughble. (oh come on now, you die easier and move slower then in other fps games with big open spaces and long view distances - that's just not good anymore - just look at RPGs, armor dmg system, houses, trenches + craters + basements, simple physics, electronic equipment, ah the list is long)

I would want the game to be improved in the simulation area over OFP.

Second, scalability goes only so far. Understand this: an arcade shooter means 100 enemies try to kill you and fail miserably. A realistical shooter would mean that a squad of 5 enemies can kill you and you spend your time trying not to get your ass shot of at one wrong moment.

You can't make the two types come together because if you make the game easy then you have to add a ton of enemies, which would make the game on "realistical" difficulty levels inhumanly brutal. On the other side if you make the game easy and there are only 20 enemies coming at you you'll get probably bored (what do i know, or care).

Simulating a footsoldiers tasks on the ground is much different from a single aircraft. Flashpoint featured a ton of vehicles, you wanna make all that content scalable to kindergarten level? That's just a waste of time there are already games out there where you can switch your brain off and shoot.

I would want the game to be improved in the simulation area over OFP.

Second, scalability goes only so far. Understand this: an arcade shooter means 100 enemies try to kill you and fail miserably. A realistical shooter would mean that a squad of 5 enemies can kill you and you spend your time trying not to get your ass shot of at one wrong moment.

Simulating a footsoldiers tasks on the ground is much different from a single aircraft. Flashpoint featured a ton of vehicles, you wanna make all that content scalable to kindergarten level? That's just a waste of time there are already games out there where you can switch your brain off and shoot.

agreed, and briefly,

meters can be "scalable" to centi or decimeter but not to kilogram

I will post in this thread a second time.

OFP IS NOT TURNING INTO BF.

The way you are all reacting is childish.

Not only do you fail to interpret what BIS said, but you automatically assume making it "mainstream" would attract CS gamers. No. It will probably attract much more mature mainstream gamers. And most mainstream gamers aren't annoying chimps who use 1337 speak 24/7. I know this because I am a mainstream gamer and I play on dozens of different games, mainstream and not mainstream.

Also, people forget the ability that you can kick players.

In fact, you know what is funny? The other day I was playing on a public ofp server and I was called all sorts of rude and disrespectful names by a bunch of dirty-mouthed 1337-speaking A**holes. As far as I am concerned, the "public" community of ofp is generally nothing that unique and abnormally special. The "good" community is in these forums and private games.

I have seen more mature behaviour on games such as America's Army and flightsims ("mainstream" ofp will probably attract these groups of people) than I have seen most of the time in public ofp servers.

What did BIS mean exactly?

They did not mean running 100 mph carrying 20 weapons with 200 enemies. Do you really think they would do that, seriously? It seems like you would to me. You are all overreacting.. We will probably get such scalable features that can be turned off in multiplyaer such as auto-aim or slightly extended health. So what do you care how someone plays in singleplayer?

Edit: ^Missed your post, Ebns^   I'll second that..  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]martinovic Posted on Mar. 19 2006,15:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second, scalability goes only so far. Understand this: an arcade shooter means 100 enemies try to kill you and fail miserably.

Ever play with BAS HD infantry?  Maybe they don't fail miserably, but they suck pretty bad  tounge2.gif

done in what, 2002 - 2003 on the old engine?

Quote[/b] ]

A realistical shooter would mean that a squad of 5 enemies can kill you and you spend your time trying not to get your ass shot of at one wrong moment.  

Already there.  

Bah, don't want to make an argument with ya, as none of us know what the finished product is really going to be, but with added scripting, added graphics and improved code all around, I'm still thinking it'll be able to do whatever you want it to - for realism or frag-ism.

So, till new info comes out, I think I'll..

goodnight.gif

Im quite sure BIS will try and make the game as realistic as possible without ruining the fun. Just as they did with OFP.

The game will feature LARGE maps much bigger than OFP. Better graphics, better scripting commands, Smoother online play. WHAT in the WORLD are you all bitching about?

And if BIS fail to do it enough sim-like. Thank god they made the game with the mod-community in mind.

Jesus, you guys are more childish than the people over at the Counter-Strike boards!

I will post in this thread a second time.

OFP IS NOT TURNING INTO BF.

The way you are all reacting is childish.

Not only do you fail to interpret what BIS said, but you automatically assume making it "mainstream" would attract CS gamers. No. It will probably attract much more mature mainstream gamers. And most mainstream gamers aren't annoying chimps who use 1337 speak 24/7. I know this because I am a mainstream gamer and I play on dozens of different games, mainstream and not mainstream.

Also, people forget the ability that you can kick players.

In fact, you know what is funny? The other day I was playing on a public ofp server and I was called all sorts of rude and disrespectful names by a bunch of dirty-mouthed 1337-speaking A**holes. As far as I am concerned, the "public" community of ofp is generally nothing that unique and abnormally special. The "good" community is in these forums and private games.

I have seen more mature behaviour on games such as America's Army and flightsims ("mainstream" ofp will probably attract these groups of people) than I have seen most of the time in public ofp servers.

What did BIS mean exactly?

They did not mean running 100 mph carrying 20 weapons with 200 enemies. Do you really think they would do that, seriously? It seems like you would to me. You are all overreacting.. We will probably get such scalable features that can be turned off in multiplyaer such as auto-aim or slightly extended health. So what do you care how someone plays in singleplayer?

my acts that are not violating rules cannot be judge by anyone as childish or mature, this is the first of all,

yeah OFP is not turning into BF thats right HOWEVER, its not going to be the ultimate warfare simulation EITHER

and no kicking option can fix that! and Im screaming out loud because much is going to be wasted for bozos if that the comments refer to actual plans.

you understand this, Mainstream are the casual players that do not SPARE time for gaming, they only PLAY'n GO. and OFP is definately X-large for them. developing a game with them in mind will KILL any potential good detail we could get

Well, I'm gonna download it from the internet, I lost my wants to support BIS.

Do you realize that you're making your decision solely on a translation of a translation of an article from a source that is not actually BIS?

Do you realize that you're making your decision solely on a translation of a translation of an article from a source that is not actually BIS?

Sounds like a pretty smart assessment of the situation to me.

Well, I'm gonna download it from the internet, I lost my wants to support BIS.

ROFL - You moron... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think one of the reasons bis is making it more mainstream friendly in relation to difficulty options is maybe to actully get a publisher look at this way how many soldier realistic war sims/games are there? the market is very niche possibly more so than the flightsim market and it could be the possible reason why so far bis hasnt got a publisher if i remember correctly with the first ofp bis lost there publisher and they spent a very long time without one before codemsters appeared. overall bis list of possible publishers must be pritty small confused_o.gif

Codemaster (burnt there bridges)

Ubisoft (lockdown need i say more)

EA (battlefield style mainstream cash cow only stuff)

Microsoft (corporate devil incarnate)

Valve/steam (limting market many people wont buy from it)

Take Two (probably conflict with illusions "Enemy in sight" probably would have been best option to confused_o.gif )

Atari (do they publish war games i cant think of any  probably do though)

SEGA (better than nothing i guess)

I probably missed a few but as can see the situation isnt great for what is essentially a 4 year old game with graphical nobs on.

I am willing to bet a hell of alot way back in september when on the Armed Assault site they said

Quote[/b] ]More screenshots and news will be available soon together with the new version of our official Armed Assault website.

That they thought they were about to sign a publishing deal which then quite litterly went down the shitter. It is no consquence i belive that idea games was  set up so after. Hell i even have my own suspisions that the main reason that this forum was set up was to show publishers a potential market and fans existed for this style of game. I have a feeling the H1 release date was at best exceptional optimistic and at worse misleading fans given the current precived publisher circumstances.

I just wish Bis would be more open about things, it would  defintly go along way to fostering trust with many people if bis were to lay down there cards

I think the main point about this difficulty options thing is that ArmA is a game.Don't we all wish it to be a Sim like Falcon4 or Il2 is for the Flight-Sim market.And last time I played em they had like options to turn some arcadish features on.The other problem I think is that you cant expect the commercial series BIS releases to be THE Perfect SIM.If it was, noone would buy VBS/VBS2 anymore would they? tounge2.gif .

IMHO BIS can do a lot wrong in this next game,but i don't think its the difficulty options we will constantly complain about wink_o.gif

dont atari already publish bis in australai

carnt they help us or did i dream that

Im with you I would rather have a il-2/falcon/lockon style sim where everything was realistic as possible but i think pigs have more chance of growing wings than that happening.

I have always felt making VBS publicly available was a mistake in that it diluted the community and created haves and have  nots. Its not the smartest move to split your user base and then proced to pick the cream of the crop of addon teams to work on vbs considering they were keeping the orignal title alive to start with. I believe one of the reasons it was made public was to attract addon makers to it as it would save BIA/Coalesent a hell of alot of money as they wouldnt have to develop stuff themselves. Look at this way the amount of money BIA probably makes from individual sales of VBS compared to there military customers is problally significantly smaller probably not enough to really warrent a release.

I know im significantly reading between the lines on a number of things but i cant really help but draw these conclusions. I feel the orignal vison of a realistic combat sim is getting diluted over time and the public release of VBS only served to muddy the waters further.

Im starting wonder if arma is even worth bis's time for what is essentially ofp where there are only three real improvements JIP,streaming islands, and shiny sparklely tanks they dont seem to chaning much else judging from the interviews. The thing about holding back features for game 2 is bull to me especially considering its estimated to be 2008 by which armed assault will be old news. I can see Armed assault crash and burn spectaculary when it comes to reviews its 2007 and people expect more than what its offering to be honest.

I can only hope that I wrong maybe its just because im hungover at uni and and not in great mood banghead.gif

Quote[/b] ]I can only hope that I wrong maybe its just because im hungover at uni and and not in great mood

it shows nener.gif

have some faith - BIS offering lower difficulty levels alongside the highest one is hardly something worth moaning about smile_o.gif

its not the difficulty levels im bothered by its just things in general, hell it could have a god mode option and i wouldnt care the way diffculty levels work on il-2 are a good example it is resonably flexable people can fly ufos if they want where as the majority prefer realistic settings.

Whats bothering me is the publisher situation lack of  information, screenshots/interviews that show little or no progress none of which inspire faith. Add to that placebo saying its impossible for them to make anysort of prediction for release until they get the a publisher, meaning even cenega probably isnt set in stone and that H1 really was pretty much an optimistic hope than any sort of prediction.

I think we should wait until E3 and that other games show (can't remember what it's called) that is happening this month are over.  If there is no information about a publisher by then, and if BIS won't tell us anything by then, I think that then they will be pretty screwed.  Speaking to several people who have been following this game, but aren't active on the forums, they now think that ArmA will be cancelled altogether...

I really wouldnt be suprised mate sad_o.gif

1C, 2K Games, Activision Value, Atari, Auran Games, Big Ben, Buka Entertainment, Capcom, Codemasters, CDV Software, Deep Silver, Dreamcatcher, Elektrogames, Digital Jesters, DTP, Eidos, Electronic Arts, Focus Home Interactive, Frogster Interactive, HIP Interactive, Kemco, Konami, Logrus, Majesco, Micro Application, Microsoft, Mindscape, Namco, NcSoft, Nintendo, Nobilis, Oxygen Interactive, Pan Vision, Paradox Interactive, Playlogic, Reef Entertainment, Sega, SG Diffusion, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, THQ, Ubisoft, Valcon Games, ValuSoft, Virgin Play, Vivendi Universal Games… many more to come!

>> Game Vision Conferences

pick 1 nener.gif

Pure comedy to read some of these comments!

It´s like watching zebras on Discovery, one of them smells his own fart in the air and suddenly everyone is shouting doom and death while running around fleeing the imminent threat.

BIS makes a broad spectrum "sim" for gamers, modders make the specialized stuff that keep the community broadbased.

In the end BIS will have made an exellent game that can be customised to everyones flavors, from the American civil war to Star Wars.