Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Once again,do not take releases of stuff to a very serious point,I have stated time and again and given evidence that timelines don't make sense,I'm not sure why BIS does this but I'm guessing its for secrecy's sake and to keep us guessing,which I like.

It looks great to me but I am slightly confused as to the shadows,their not the same in ever pic and by that I mean sharpness which leads me to believe one of these is later than the rest,or different setting perhaps,I don't know but I'v seen a few images with soft shadows on everything,rare,but they are there.

I wonder what the normal map on the T-72 looks like (the sheet) in the images I'v seen such as at the commander hatch and whatnot,the brushed metallic or corroded metal..err...whatever the effect,seems to be pretty complex,sexiest T-72 I'v seen.

Gamespot had 6 New (The ones from armedassault.com) under their latest and greatest section on their front page. I've never seen that before.

yeah i think the screenies of that interview r old...the ones on armedassault.com r the newest ones...

Since the progress thread is closed I'll post here.

Did anyone else notice that the car handeling seems more realistic? The looks of that movie gave me the feeling everything went way better then in OFP, in OFP it felt with allmost every car that you were driving a solid rock, the vehicles just didn't want to steer right, but this movie looks like they fixed that problem.

Keep up the good work BIS smile_o.gif

Since the progress thread is closed I'll post here.

Ooops whistle.gif

I forgot all about that, open now smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Did anyone else notice that the car handeling seems more realistic? The looks of that movie gave me the feeling everything went way better then in OFP, in OFP it felt with allmost every car that you were driving a solid rock, the vehicles just didn't want to steer right, but this movie looks like they fixed that problem.

The car handling was definitely better than in OFP where cars had some strange physics! I just hope that they will tweak the AI driving a bit more too. That car ride video of Wills was a bit scary!  ... Maybe there are no drink driving laws on Sahra!  drunk.gif   biggrin_o.gif

It looks great to me but I am slightly confused as to the shadows,their not the same in ever pic and by that I mean sharpness which leads me to believe one of these is later than the rest,or different setting perhaps,I don't know but I'v seen a few images with soft shadows on everything,rare,but they are there.

I wonder what the normal map on the T-72 looks like (the sheet) in the images I'v seen such as at the commander hatch and whatnot,the brushed metallic or corroded metal..err...whatever the effect,seems to be pretty complex,sexiest T-72 I'v seen.

I presume you are aware that they adjust the shadows according to the weather conditions.

In clear skies the shadows are sharp, slight cloud around the sun makes them blurred and 8/8 cloud cover gets rid of shadows all together.

Will have another look at the screenies but I think what you saw was mainly due to weather and performance saving shadow reduction (ie. shadows cast on vehicles and other moving objects are only displayed at close range).

Pics are from the same build as the E3 press demo.

thought so.. but even with 2 months old they are nice..

we can only imagine how they are at this stage. smile_o.gif

Regarding the "age" of pictures, you have to think about the quality settings, too. There is a preview in the current issue of the german gaming magazine PC Powerplay, who played an alpha version they were send by BIS.

They had to play on nearly minimum settings because higher ones wouldn't work so the game would run fast and stable. But they saw the high settings work at BIS and so it explained the difference between their own video and the official screens.

I don't want to nitpick about some silly detail, but there is still something that bothers me in the latest screenshots. They are technically superb, in my opinion. I know that some aspects are still WiP, that's why I won't comment on them.

However, I noticed that "Northern Sahrani" soldiers have a bedroll and a shovel on their back... Check : Northern Sahrani soldier

I think BIS has some fantasm with that, cause the bedroll was already on the soldiers' back in OFP, and that was pretty silly. I believe that not a single modern army in the world would send its troops on the field with a bedroll attached on their shoulders and a shovel stuck underneath.

Note that US forces on Sahrani have lost their gear... Now, tell me that the shots of Northern Sahrani soldiers are pretty old, and that it has long been corrected. Or tell me to shut up cause no one cares.

Malick

Northern Sahrani soldier

I think BIS has some fantasm with that, cause the bedroll was already on the soldiers' back in OFP, and that was pretty silly. I believe that not a single modern army in the world would send its troops on the field with a bedroll attached on their shoulders and a shovel stuck underneath.

Note that US forces on Sahrani have lost their gear... Now, tell me that the shots of Northern Sahrani soldiers are pretty old, and that it has long been corrected. Or tell me to shut up cause no one cares.

Malick

he has a point there..

maybe they could have a bagpack instead of that bedroll.

Guest Ti0n3r

I like it, especially the showel. Don't ask me why smile_o.gif

Northern Sahrani soldier

Malick

he has a point there..

maybe they could have a bagpack instead of that bedroll.

Noone send soldiers in combat with a backpack either :/

I don't want to nitpick about some silly detail, but there is still something that bothers me in the latest screenshots. They are technically superb, in my opinion. I know that some aspects are still WiP, that's why I won't comment on them.

However, I noticed that "Northern Sahrani" soldiers have a bedroll and a shovel on their back... Check : Northern Sahrani soldier

Malick

He looks awesome though, i dont even want BIS to change it, realstic or not  biggrin_o.gif

Btw, i asumed that it was a south sahrani soldier because his camo looked western to me, but i dont know the difference between marpat and acu so dont ask me.. tounge2.gif

(he seems to be holding a PK though, but dunno..)

EDIT: Dunno if you ever saw the standard BIS units without their bedroll, but it looked empty and boring, and after all, its a game, not a simulation.. tounge2.gif

(I prefer realism in gameplay, not in equipment)

I think that deleting this useless gear would save some polys on the models, by the way. Yeah, not that much, but all CPU/GPU power saving technique is valuable tounge2.gif

Of course, soldiers would look much better without this, IMHO.

Malick

maybe we won't change into seaguls but instead, when shot, we can dig our own grave in some nice place yay.gif

on a serious note, how about an action menu to dig some hole (cover), should defo take long to do but snipers would love it biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, that would be nice... But, as the environment doesn't seem to be destructable (like digging hole, craters, trenches etc..), it's wishful thinking.

As a sidenote, I remember some mods wrote some scripts for such actions. Maybe it was Inv44 or WW2EC, which gave a MG or mortar unit the ability to dig in behind a mud wall.

Malick

Actually, deleting backpacks/useless and unrealistic gear would mean a poly-reducing of maybe 90-100 per soldier.

If theres a major battle with 200 soldiers... You do the math smile_o.gif

However, I noticed that "Northern Sahrani" soldiers have a bedroll and a shovel on their back... Check : Northern Sahrani soldier....

It can also be a raincloak or full rainwear as it's much smaller than an army bedroll.

Example

I presume you are aware that they adjust the shadows according to the weather conditions.

In clear skies the shadows are sharp, slight cloud around the sun makes them blurred and 8/8 cloud cover gets rid of shadows all together.

Will have another look at the screenies but I think what you saw was mainly due to weather and performance saving shadow reduction (ie. shadows cast on vehicles and other moving objects are only displayed at close range).

I am,however that contradicts one of the very images,the one of the two BMP's,soldier and T-72 to be exact,however I noticed something odd in the image as well. However the light pole does not have a smooth shadow. http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1401/armed053nw.jpg Or whichever kind of pole it is. The image of the two T-72's and the lone BMP-2 at the garage type place,I also noticed something peculiar,the T-72's shadows were smooth but the BMP's wasnt. At the sam time I saw in several images that tree and building shadows were soft but infantry weren't. They may have been messing with shadows and defining them,low graphic shadows vs high graphics,that image above may have some of AA's highest graphics and that would explain it,but that still baffles me as to the garage image,however the shadow from the bush was not present and I remember a bug earlier in images showing shrubbery not casting shadows,other than trees anyway. So if worse come to worse,objects will have soft shadows while others won't,however everything may have soft shadows,I can't say for certain as I do not work for BIS and I don't know what they are doing,I can only speculate and create theory's,but at the same time I try to provide some truth behind the theory's,what good would a theory be if it was simply words and no example.

I'm not sure if anyone else realized this, but the northern forces are wearing western MOLLE gear!!!!

TAG_MOLLE_Plate_Carrier_med11.jpg

armasoldiers.jpg

Northen forces aren't Russian either,they may have some US stuff,remember they havent been at war and they didnt come to fighting until AA is released.

Northen forces aren't Russian either,they may have some US stuff,remember they havent been at war and they didnt come to fighting until AA is released.

The northern forces are using 100% ex-soviet equipment, but we'll make an exception just for this right?

BIS made a mistake on this one.