Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

The houses look more natural without the excessive lighting, the ground texture small pattern does look very repetitive and a bit more variation in colours would look better, BIS is on the right path though notworthy.gif .

As usual it's under development. The animations in the old pics looked like crap but they fixed them. The ground texture isn't too repetitive, the bump map is.

Incase you need more details to pick on then check out this pic for an example. banghead.gifwink_o.gif

The game has hardly any shadows. Only objects really close have that.

You people need to stop whining crazy_o.gif

Everything I've seen sofar about the game is an amazing leap from OFP, and those of you arguing about the repetative ground textures need to do some comparisons.

ArmA

OFP:Res

Not only is the ground more interesting in ArmA, but there is much more vegatation, and even a more natural look. In the OFP screenshot I've set it to 5000 viewdistance (Note the FPS), and ArmA still surprasses it.

A little bit of bumpmapping repetativeness is nothing when you look at all they've done, and I can hardly beleive they're still going to be making a 'Game 2' after this, It should be more like Game 3!

Not that I give an awfull lot, but two hands on the stick would be nice (hahaha... mad_o.gif )

That's not very realistic, the left hand is usually on the cyclic controls (to control pitch and roll) whistle.gif

do you have to give comment on every fucking thing I say? let me rewrite then:

ANYWHERE BUT DOING NOTHING!

happy now? since when did you showed interest in ArmA btw?

If you can't wait 'til H1 2006, just spend $150 on an X-Box and another $40 on a copy of OFP:E and join the rest of us enjoying many of these features, already.

You people need to stop whining  crazy_o.gif

Oh no, never biggrin_o.gif , yes we all agree that it looks great and yes we all know they are showing us wip but its always good to post our constructive opinions about what we like, dislike and what we think will or could be improved.

Ofcourse sometimes people get carried away or expect too much but overall i am interested in and respect the opinions of all OFP freaks out there. I think in the end we are a good source of inspiration to BIS too biggrin_o.gif .

i am not that surprised, as BIS didnt let me down most of the time wink_o.gif

Ug... why the world is that Saw gunner wearing Spear body armor and not PASGT armor? Big difference in the timeline there. Heck even Interceptor armor I could live with. If that's meant to be PASGT, the shoulders need redone. Nitpicky, but it's like giving a 1985 era infantryman a SOPMOD m4 instead of a M-16.

Great screens though.

I just re-read the press release and got caught on one line. Has this been pointed out or have we all somehow missed it?

Quote[/b] ]ArmA s campaign features a brand new story-line, with a modern day setting.

This means that it won't be 1985 anymore but a game with modern units and vehicles. So we will probably get SOPMOD M4's but not on 1985 era infantrymen. Most of the details might still be according to the original campaign but they'll change them. I also assume that this will mean that there won't be a fictional north vs. south anymore..

I like it.. I like it alot thumbs-up.gif

Ok, my mistake, but it's still not right. Regular infantry do NOT wear Spear armor. Also the Alice gear HAS to go. Shouldn't have been in VBS and no way should it be in Armas.

Pics do look much better when compared to OFP1. But not when compared to BF2. Sure, I'll buy a bad looking but realistic war simulator over a good looking but arcadish shoot'em up anyday. Though it would be nice to have a good looking and realistic war simulator... combine the best of both worlds. That would make AA more than successful if it could combine those two winning qualities.

Holy hell! I just read on Gamer.no that your gone show a demo to publishers next week already'

and that you will release a trailer in the near future!

Gamer.no (Read the text at the end, you'll see the words trailer and demo poping up)

Thank god I tipped Gamer.no about this.

yay.gifinlove.gifnotworthy.gifinlove.gifyay.gif

Sheesh!  Colossus, I'm pretty convinced you are a sentient bot or web-crawler from google that has taken a shine on OFP.  How do you find this stuff? (I appreciate it a lot, but WOW)  crazy_o.gif  tounge2.gif

.... feature to dress (choose armor etc) smile_o.gif) ...?! or full freedom in equip/dressing smile_o.gif

-what is there to complain about?  Armed Assault ended up being something far beyond what we anticipated.  I see nothing wrong in that.

-However...I do hope for more screenshots this month...  Maybe for christmas.

-Look at all those damn TREES!!!!! My god they went nuts with the amount of objects.

Ok, my mistake, but it's still not right. Regular infantry do NOT wear Spear armor. Also the Alice gear HAS to go. Shouldn't have been in VBS and no way should it be in Armas.

Now you're nitpicking, but offcourse it good if they make it correct. They might have changed the time-line recently so no one has really checked whether everything is correct or not. They might also be sharing a lot of things with VBS so what's been made wrong in VBS becomes wrong in ArmA.

It's great though that there are people who can actually point out the inaccurate things and perhaps make BIS fix them.

@Kin Hil

I consider that ArmA looks better than BF2 but I guess that's a matter of taste. The main difference though is that the ArmA island is maybe 100 times bigger than an actual BF2 map.

Pics do look much better when compared to OFP1. But not when compared to BF2.

Uh. Have you maybe not noticed the difference in draw distance? icon_rolleyes.gif

Battlefield 2 graphics are more like lighting, and effects. But I see in ArmA a crystal clear picture, more than any game. Those screenshots look very sharp and colorful. Add that with the new lighting and photo realistic textures in OFP, and the combat photography thread will be going nuts...

Comparison.jpg

Quote[/b] ]ArmA s campaign features a brand new story-line, with a modern day setting.

This means that it won't be 1985 anymore but a game with modern units and vehicles. So we will probably get SOPMOD M4's but not on 1985 era infantrymen. Most of the details might still be according to the original campaign but they'll change them. I also assume that this will mean that there won't be a fictional north vs. south anymore..

Well we kinda knew it was a modern day setting when the ArmA campaign was revealed as a North vs South battle, and its probly unlikely that has changed. Its a little late in the game to be changeing the whole idea of the campaign.

It will be great when it comes out and Ill rush to buy it. Still, I'm hoping the masters in the addon community can drop some massive improvements on it when it is released. They're the only reason I play OFP1.. I would have thrown that thing out the window years ago if not for all the new material being released everyday by none other than fans.

BIS notworthy.gif

Addon Community notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Me with no AA before I die = sad_o.gif

Now you're nitpicking, but offcourse it good if they make it correct.

Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, but it's the details that can really make or break the immersion, and the one thing that would drive me nuts is inaccurate or incorrect units. I know that can be modded, but why should it "need" to be modded. I would take very little time to make the units accurate, so why not point it out?

I guess it all boils down to the timeline. "Modern" is subjective.

I just re-read the press release and got caught on one line. Has this been pointed out or have we all somehow missed it?

Thanks for quoting this, i missed this part.

Considering that , along the new campaign/island taking place in modern days, ArmA will already feature CWC and Resistance (that's always the plan right ?), i am drooling even more.

A 1980 to current day settings for units, vehicles and weaponry is really something that i am looking for, after playing winSP:MBT mostly extensively for the era 1980-201x.

That means a very lot of "toys" to play with, a lot more than i expected, and that's really nice.

But i wonder if by any chance this means ArmA is progressively becoming "Game2" after all that time BIS invested in working on it smile_o.gif

But i wonder if by any chance this means ArmA is progressively becoming "Game2" after all that time BIS invested in working on it smile_o.gif

my guess is no. When I saw NextGen game during E3 it was way beyond what we know to be in ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]When I saw NextGen game during E3 it was way beyond what we know to be in ArmA.

Lucky you wink_o.gif

Anyone else noticed that in one of the pics the destroyed tank the turret is facing backwards? this wasnt possible in ofp smile_o.gif