Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

you know, one detail - "2001". If OFP would be selled todays, i dont think it would have such success. So the general question is: did BIS updated OFP to 2005 year level. That's what i'm talking about

Look at the screens and the features. Doing that will awnser your own question for you..

Either way, OPF is still more advanced then most games released today in many areas. You seem to be only talking about graphics graphics graphics. If your all about the graphics, then OPF might not appeal to you right now. However, OPF fans tend to like games that are more then just a restricted capture the flag game. OPF allows us to make pretty much any military missions you can think of... name ONE game that has the scope, gameplay and mission makeing ability of Flashpoint. There are none...

Then throw in the improvements to ArmA and you have your awnser. ArmA will be a very compedative game when it comes out.

i think i know ofp better than you, no insults please. Please dont try to explain what OFP is. I said above, that for now we have screenshots only... oh yes and list of abilities. What about graphics it doesnt look too great by my look. Abilities havent expended too much as i think.

Meh.. IMO, for the massive scope, capabilities, and flexibility that OPF has over any other game, the GFX are fine.  I'd hate to see that you could only have 20 players, no AI and limited numbers of vehicles because the visuals were 'stunning'.  confused_o.gif

Besides, it's STILL not done.  Hmm, confused emotions, still getting polished, but not in my greedy little hands yet..  biggrin_o.gif  sad_o.gif   icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'd hate to see that you could only have 20 players, no AI and limited numbers of vehicles because the visuals were 'stunning'

We have a limited number of vehicles right now. No, of course we can place about a billion units on the map, but slideshow is not playable. CTI has vehicle limiting and it would be hard to play with more than 20 players in it too cause of beginning desync. So does the ability to play without any vehicle limit and with 64 players get you chance to play it in reality.

All of us know that OFP can have low FPS at all computers we have today, so i'd be really happy if only that problem with optimization will be solved

i think i know ofp better than you, no insults please. Please dont try to explain what OFP is. I said above, that for now we have screenshots only... oh yes and list of abilities. What about graphics it doesnt look too great by my look. Abilities havent expended too much as i think.

First off I didn't insult you... simply pointed out that OPF could in fact sell well if it was released as is, today. I think most people would agree with that, as it is the only game of its kind.

Now.. to say you know OPF better then I do is quite funny with the statements you have made. I could really care less what you THINK you know. This is not the place for a pissing contest... I have 5 years of OPF experience and am not going to debate with you who knows more about OPF. I will just let your statements speak for themselfs.

Anyway, with a very top end PC and setting fairly low you can have some supprisingly large battles in OPF. ArmA, running on an improved engine will likely allow for some really large battle with good gameplay. 60+ multiplayer should be really intresting... lots of potential there.

I meant i dont want to make you insults

Oh you play it for whole 5 years! Great! But can i ask you? How do you play OFP for 5 years if "WORLD RELEASE DATE: June 22, 2001"? rofl.gif All right here, i guess you've made some mistake with calculations or something. I play it since 2001 too. What my statements tell you? About OFP? I thought i've been talking about arma here.

Get over it guys, or do this discussion on ICQ.... Noone wants to see your personal oppinions bashing each other. Especially in a thread like this.

Personally I think ArmA have come a long way since August. Look t those screenies! Sure it still have a few bugs, but with 6 months to release, im pretty sure they will be edged out.

I hope that the gameplay will be like OFP with a few tweaks and features. I would buy the game just for the JIP, Wildlife and moving vegetation.

did you consider maybe that he also played the demo befor the game release?

also i am sick of all these little kids comming in here and complaining that ArmA GFX is dated, old, and doesnt look good.

well too bad, dont like it go play BF2. OFP and ArmA are practicaly simulators, and everyone knows that simulators focus on simulating functionallity and not on GFX, be it an Airsim, Navysim, Soldiersim, or in this case an all in one sim.

there is no game out yet, or soon to be released that can do half the things the the current 4year old OFP engine can do.

you all need to stop bi***ing about what you dont have a clue in. you have no idea how difficult it must be for BIS to make these games. if it was so easy we wouldnt only have OFP, we would have many clone games that try to be like OFP but fail!

i think that ArmA looks fanfreakingtastic, and that some of you who do nothing but complain should move on to other games to feed your hunger for eyecandy and arcadish gameplay.

RANT OVER!

oh man that feels good.

Can't we have a realistic war simulator with good graphics and sound? I don't play BF2 simply for the reason it is arcade. So I stick to OFP... even though it sucks for me poor eyes and ears. I was hoping AA will resolve this... the realistic war simulation OFP provides with the photo-like perfection of newer games.

It would be nice is all. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Can't we have a realistic war simulator with good graphics and sound?

Do you own a Cray ? wink_o.gif

What is "looking bad" on the ArmA screenshot ?

I find the screenshot surprisingly good personnally.

But honestly, i am more interested by the mission making and AI possibilities , i would really like some more infos about these points, that are picking my interest smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]* Fully streaming game engine allowing extremely large environments loaded with various special effects

* Unique and proven combatant's AI.

* Many useful scripting functions.

* Mission wizards enable missions to be played with any addons.

Hell, I wish they made ArmA so ugly that you will puke just by looking at it for more than 2 seconds, like no texture mapping and no soldier animation except posture thumbs-up.gif. That should scare off the gfx whores, cs kiddies and other #&%holes for good pistols.gif And after they're gone, stealthy release the patch to make graphics back to where they're now yay.gif

I agree with you Sanctuary and im amazed that noone of OFP gurus poined this (AI) out in this topic. Me and Zendjir expressed our fears at 8th page of it but noone seemed to notice that and everyone is talking almost only about graphics, which btw i find not that good smile_o.gif I like the viewdistance but it's not all. Inv44 or WWIIEC Caen have better looking grass and bushes, Mapfact and Agent Smith have better textures and objects, BAS, Our Weapons and many other addonmakers have much better models (with some beautiful features like recent OW invehicle anims etc which i dont think we'll find in ArmA official addons). I dont see it in ArmA so im not impressed at all. But im not so worried by graphics because i know its WIP (although i doubt much will change) and im not focused on graphics. What im worried about is AI. Don't get me wrong. I play OFP since the day on which the demo came out and i like it. But im not blind and i can see that some parts of OFP are bad. OFP is greate for taking sightseeing trips, sneeking missions, simulating some meeting engagements. But when it comes to real fight AI is dumb like hell, there's no cover, suppresing fire, firefights last for seconds, and then everyone dies. There are no panicking soldiers, incapacitated, carrying WIA by medics and all those things that are in real fights. Also i find commanding interface quite user unfriendly (only General Barron's HS system makes it better). So IMHO OFP's weakest point is... firefight. Yes! military simulator which have quite poor fighting system! (i know that being a soldier is 99% of not fighting and 1% fighting but surprisingly (?) all missions for OFP DO include fighting). Those are things that should be considered as most important improvements to THE ONLY Game.

Quote[/b] ]I'd hate to see that you could only have 20 players, no AI and limited numbers of vehicles because the visuals were 'stunning'

We have a limited number of vehicles right now. No, of course we can place about a billion units on the map, but slideshow is not playable. CTI has vehicle limiting and it would be hard to play with more than 20 players in it too cause of beginning desync. So does the ability to play without any vehicle limit and with 64 players get you chance to play it in reality.

All of us know that OFP can have low FPS at all computers we have today, so i'd be really happy if only that problem with optimization will be solved

You're taking current OFP limitations and assume you'll see the same in ArmA.

Ie you assume things without knowing, and even with hints that they might have improved.

When they say "improved multiplayer", that perhaps means that your desync issues are gone over 20 people.

When they talk about new graphic engine, it's perhaps to be able to get many vehicles on screen without noticable FPS hit.

All of us know OFP's limitation. It means nothing concerning ArmA. We only have hints it could be resolved.

If it was not mentionned in the feature list, I may agree with your points, but they mention it.

Well we finally get an announcement - so who was it that said that peer pressure wouldnt make BIS say anything? biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I see some moving footage from the game and not just screenshots. I do hope however that BIS decide to take out the moving grass which is used in OFP: Elite because its not needed and just uses up processor power.

Im just playing COD2 on XBox 360 and it has grass which looks nice but it isnt animated, why should it be? How often do you go into a field and see the grass moving and what does moving grass add to a war sim anyway?

This is an encouraging announcement, so lets hope that the game wont be to far from release.

Guest major gandhi
[...]So IMHO OFP's weakest point is... firefight.[...]Those are things that should be considered as most important improvements to THE ONLY Game.

I agree there. Actually AI makes one of the most important parts of the whole gameplay. If they'd keep the OFP AI and you'd still see soldiers running around like chickens when the fighting starts all the eyecandy isn't worth much.

EDIT: i'M AN IdIOt... fORGEt i eVEr POsTED  crazy_o.gif

@ Bals- Is 10 parallel linked sycronous linux platforms with dual quad core processors and two unidirectional G-bit ethernet halfway there? rofl.gif (read: cake+eatit2) tounge2.gif

i just realized that progress update page missing any info about Sound / Music smile_o.gif

like what's going to be supported ? EAX, EAX2, EAX3+ (HD), OpenAL, DS3D ? ...

The most important is to get nobugged game with optimized graphics (for today's and tommorow's hardware), optimized net code (as I found MP games a core for this game today) and much improved AI (even if you not like to command, your enemy should be much more clever and dangerous with it's tactics, not aiming). What more I would like to see even more flexibility (more space for scripting of everything).

And personally I would like to see more wounded then killed, and medics in real work, including casaulty points and evacuations.

If engine will be improved, I hope real CQB tactics will be possible.

But I still do not understand what for I am writing it :P We just have to wait smile_o.gif

I do hope however that BIS decide to take out the moving grass which is used in OFP: Elite because its not needed and just uses up processor power.

Im just playing COD2 on XBox 360 and it has grass which looks nice but it isnt animated, why should it be? How often do you go into a field and see the grass moving and what does moving grass add to a war sim anyway?

I think the moving grass is fine so long as it can be disabled if it causes fps problems with some hardware.

Little things like that can add realism to a game. But I agree that everything needs to be optimised. Let's have the moving grass as a scaleable option. But I'm sure that BIS have already thought of that.

Btw, why are U playing COD2 on Xbox? There is a PC version and it's F*****g excellent rofl.gif

Btw, why are U playing COD2 on Xbox? There is a PC version and it's F*****g excellent rofl.gif

He said xbox 360 and it's most likely more powerful than his PC, hence the game looks better. COD2 is also an arcade game and arcade games are best played on consoles.

The get back on topic:

I'm not that impressed by the graphics but that's only a bonus. Sure it looks good but nothing that makes me go 'WOW!'. If a game sucks there's no graphics that can keep me playing it.

Waving vegetation adds some realism, not just visually. With a static enviroment it's very easy to spot a distant enemy 'cause he's the only moving pixel.

That was a point i appreciated when i played the old ghost recon, the "waving" vegetations were definitively adding another immersion factor (and more difficulty too smile_o.gif ) .

I hope this feature in ArmA will be more optimised than in this old game though, as in ghost recon you could notice, when you disabled this waving feature with a command in the ingame console, an easy gain of 10/15 fps.

does anyone know what the system requirements for Armd Assault r gonna b??? seems like you are going to need a top of the class pc

Quote[/b] ]the old ghost recon

Not that old, it has been released the same year than OFP... and it still has a strong community that has released a bunch of interesting mods as well, but its community isn't more active than OFP's one, though.

;-)

In any way, let's wish the best luck to BIS to implement at least one or two of the suggested features even if I'm quite sure they're polishing some last details right now.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

Well we finally get an announcement - so who was it that said that peer pressure wouldnt make BIS say anything?  biggrin_o.gif

Here's a hint for you. Your whining had nothing to do with it. Don't think you are some significant reason behind the press release.

Now that the announcement is out how about behaving until ArmA comes out?