Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Not sure if this is new to you, but its new to me!

arma_cover.jpg

Its the box art!!! OFPEC is back on line!

yeah we all saw except you. now go feel like an idiot. rofl.gif

offtopic:

in joint operations the vehicles are not exactly accurate  hummer in chinook

See the thing is thats not a hummer to begin with.

Hehe, was just about to say that... wink_o.gif

offtopic:

in joint operations the vehicles are not exactly accurate  hummer in chinook

Hehe, was just about to say that...  wink_o.gif

Yeah, me too.

I looks kind of like it's meant to be, but what is it actually?

offtopic:

in joint operations the vehicles are not exactly accurate hummer in chinook

Yeah, me too.

It looks like a lousy model of the beagle... But then again, it doesn't :/ (!?)

offtopic:

in joint operations the vehicles are not exactly accurate hummer in chinook

Yeah, me too.

It looks like a lousy model of the beagle... But then again, it doesn't :/ (!?)

i posted in response to vehicles being put in a chinook .. sorry to mistake a jeep for a hummer, my misprint.. either way its a model for something they chose to use ingame that improved overall gameplay. firing from any position in the "jeep" was relative at the time. thumbs-up.gif just trying to blend and relate here

welcome.gif

I wonder where professional game developpers take the boldness to make such ugly and obviously unaccurate vehicles. I don't know what the thing driving out of the heli is, but the heli itself, although it resembles the silhouette of a chinook certainly doesn't look like one up close. The dimensions, the shape, everything seems to be wrong. You could get accurate line drawings and walkarounds with a 5-minute search on google.

Ok I'll calm down now whistle.gif

goodnight.gif

I think that what you might be rebelling against is the exceptionally low fidelity of the model. It's quite low poly.

I think that what you might be rebelling against is the exceptionally low fidelity of the model.  It's quite low poly.

But the fact is (not disagreeing with your points) that no one who played JO really cared, because it was so awesome that you could actually move around and shoot inside the vehicle, which was and still is really, really cool... wink_o.gif

I think that what you might be rebelling against is the exceptionally low fidelity of the model. It's quite low poly.

But the fact is (not disagreeing with your points) that no one who played JO really cared, because it was so awesome that you could actually move around and shoot inside the vehicle, which was and still is really, really cool... wink_o.gif

True, but why use so much time on a very cool engine, and then just do a lousy job at modelling the vehicles :/

True, but why use so much time on a very cool engine, and then just do a lousy job at modelling the vehicles :/

ÅÅÅ or $$$ oe €€€

Thats why confused_o.gif

certainly its all bout the $

Nova chooses to use bare minimum.. its been relavent for years

when it comes to models

what they did is, they have incorporated the vehicles very well.. like some squads take advantage of massive airdrops over opfor bases from a chinook loaded with vehicles and ground units

or anti tank teams flying around on littlebirds taking out ground targets with at4's or tanks with javelins.

sure its not realistic but it is only as game, not a sim

this is what i'm used to from playing Joint Ops and looking forward to seeing in ArmA, is that the ability to use the vehicles for more than just transport or cover will make this game even better if we are able to fire from multiple locations in/on the vehicles themselves and not being limited to bmp's strykers or tanks with multiple firing positions.

What, are you guys serious?

They probably put low polies because they had to, just like in OFP and ArmA, the models won't be amazing high quality to trade off...

It's not a big money making conspiracy. Oh no, the evil corporations that make mainstream games icon_rolleyes.gif

What, are you guys serious?

They probably put low polies because they had to, just like in OFP and ArmA, the models won't be amazing high quality to trade off...

It's not a big money making conspiracy. Oh no, the evil corporations that make mainstream games icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually, its just as much about engine trade offs as it is about the "evil money making corporations"

They dont put the time (and therefore the money) into researching their content as thoroughly as us 3rd party modders do. Simply because to do so would cost far too much, when 90% of the players arent going to know or notice.

BIS appears to be a refershing change to this norm, but the errors still creep in...

Oh, and the plural of poly is POLYS (pet peeve thats been going on here for FAR too long)

I think that what you might be rebelling against is the exceptionally low fidelity of the model.  It's quite low poly.

But the fact is (not disagreeing with your points) that no one who played JO really cared, because it was so awesome that you could actually move around and shoot inside the vehicle, which was and still is really, really cool...  wink_o.gif

Not being a coder, would you have to spend more time on making the model look good, or so that you could shoot from it?

Not being a coder, would you have to spend more time on making the model look good, or so that you could shoot from it?

Lol, it depends on how hard you whip the programmer.

Lol, it depends on how hard you whip the programmer.

Hehe biggrin_o.gif

Normally it is different guys that do different things. As in a coder doing the engine, and 3D artists doing the models.

I guess in this case they also used coders to the models tounge2.gif

BIS appears to be a refershing change to this norm, but the errors still creep in...

I don't think BIS is a change to this norm... They arent any more special than other companies.

I don't think BIS is a change to this norm... They arent any more special than other companies.

Why are you still here? You have absolutely nothing positive to say about ArmA or BIS, so.. uh.. why do you stick around?

Why are you still here? You have absolutely nothing positive to say about ArmA or BIS, so.. uh.. why do you stick around?

shhh... Just ignore him - like the rest of us

shhh... Just ignore him - like the rest of us

I don't want to ignore him. I want Placebo or some other mod to notice the trend, look at his past history, and take appropriate action. The guy's a black hole of negativity.

Much as I want to ignore the troll, its hard not to...

What other companies go to the lengths that BIS do for their artwork? They OWN a T-72 for christs sake...

Compared to most other compaines who will do a cursory search of the internet for information, BIS appears to actually dedicate some decent time into making sure their representations are as accurate as the engine will allow. Yes, mistakes still happen, but within the scope of the project thats both expected and acceptable.