Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Gollum1, we still don't know wether those vehicles belong to the US or Southern Sahrani forces...

Don't forget, Placebo said that there are only a handful of American forces on the island when the conflict starts, so I would assume most of the allied forces are those of Southern Sahrani.

Very true! I honestly didn't think of that. It would make sense that they would be using older NATO/US equipment. The M113 and AH-1 are used by many countries.

But looking at the weapon and equipment inaccuracies in OFP and Resistance, I wouldn't put it past BIS.

Bear in mind that the Littlebirds are in AH and MH-6J configuration which, as already pointed out, are only used by the 160TH SOAR (and even then there are only ~20 in use in the entire Army inventory)

Same goes for the AH-1, which is in Z configuration (with the 4 bladed main rotor and the extended stub-wings) which is again the newest configuration, and only used by the USMC.

This is a throwback from SOME of the content ORIGINATING from VBS, in that its contextual existance is questionable.

The M113 would be "very" suitable for the South Sahranis to use, as it could be aquired surplus from the US.

But yes, there will be a mod scene to address these issues.

I think OFP has the biggest mod scene I've ever seen, and I go to the MP server browser now (showing all servers regardless of ping) and see 80% default RES, 15% different CTI "mods" and the rest a sad crew of motley addons, maybe Finmod is struggling at the top of this 5% as a mod with 2 quality (private) servers and 8 high-ping empty ones.

I wonder how many servers I'll see using a @fixedcobra folder among Armass servers, well, who knows! Also, I could turn into a pumpkin.

True, but at this point I'm hoping for a game I want to play rather than mod.

One of the main marketing lines from whatever publisher they pick I'm sure will be "Based on the software used by Militaries around the world!"

So I would hope that for credibility’s sake, everything is as it should be. Accurate, realistic and believable. Vanilla OFP/VBS is full of inaccuracies; I would think that by this point most things would at the very least be accurate.

I have extreme doubts about how accurately the U.S. side will be represented after seeing the videos and pics. An army operation and they show Marine air?

I think I won't hope for too much and just be happy with the new engine.

12 missions? 12? Man, I have more fingers and toes than that! crazy_o.gif

Ah well, guess any campaigns made well will be popular, then. biggrin_o.gif

One of the main marketing lines from whatever publisher they pick I'm sure will be "Based on the software used by Militaries around the world!"

So I would hope that for credibility’s sake, everything is as it should be. Accurate, realistic and believable. Vanilla OFP/VBS is full of inaccuracies; I would think that by this point most things would at the very least be accurate.

I have extreme doubts about how accurately the U.S. side will be represented after seeing the videos and pics. An army operation and they show Marine air?

Wouldn't we all wink_o.gif

To be perfectly honest, I don't know of ANY game which is 100% perfect out-the-box. Things either need to be patched by the devs or fixed by modders in order to make things the way they "should" be.

Its just not possible for game devs to make all the content and make it right AND still release a game within a lifetime.

Yeah, I appreciate that some of the content they have made isnt right, like the Marine Cobras in a predominantly Army operation (although the Sahrani Island scenario would seem more appropriate for a Marine Corps operation) or the MH-6 Littlebirds being all over the place when there are only 20 or so airframes flying today, and those are in support of Special Operations.

Point is game dev's dont have the time to pour over every little detail and make sure that the variant of AK that the communist dictatorship is using has the right mode selector on it or whatever.

The more important thing to me is the platform. To be honest I'd still buy ArmA if the troops were replaced with care-bears and the tanks with my little pony's. As long as the engine remains the same, thats all I want. I'll be adding the content I care about with the attention to detail that I can provide by spending several hours a day pouring over the finer details of the current SATCOM antenna on the MH-47E or the latest version of the MFD they are using in the CV-22 or whatever.

While its great to have all that out-the-box its the modding potential I'm really looking forward too, and I think a lot of other people are too. wink_o.gif

Uh... I would wait for mods to come out first if the care bears were the default units. crazy_o.gif

Quote 3D action post

Quote[/b] ] I am killed. This is where another new feature comes into play. In the original OFP death would mean the end of the mission. ArmA, on the other hand, takes the death cam around to the next in command and you enter his boots to continue the battle. This is something any Rainbow Six player should be familiar with.

Did I imagine something here in single player games for OFP or did I not respawn from AI that were still alive in a mission? Maybe it was MP only. I'm confused.

Quote 3D action post
Quote[/b] ] I am killed. This is where another new feature comes into play. In the original OFP death would mean the end of the mission. ArmA, on the other hand, takes the death cam around to the next in command and you enter his boots to continue the battle. This is something any Rainbow Six player should be familiar with.

Did I imagine something here  in single player games for OFP or did I not respawn from AI that were still alive in a mission?  Maybe it was MP only.  I'm confused.

Under a rock I see. thumbs-up.gif

A lot of us have been bitching about this difference in gameplay for the past month. goodnight.gif

The Game is set in 2011, when that comes around we don't know whether that version of the cobra will be in the army or not. Certainly Bell has been trying to sell the thing overseas.

2011? Then surely ALL US units should have ACU OTVs, seeing as the estimated date for getting them out to every US unit was 2008...

I agree 100% on this, even OPF wasnt this inacurate at the time and we should expect sequels to improve, not less realism.

I see the G36 is back too, why? confused_o.gif .

This is the kind of stuff that should be considered in early development stage, if the Army uses Kiowas and Apaches then thats what should be in the game, not a BF2 style mix...

I honestly hope to see more people playing and less people modding, i want to enjoy a great game without having to find the 1.7beta version of an addon made by someone because the developers didnt get it right..

Addons and mods are supposed to add to the game, like a vietnam, WW2 or USMC mod. The game should have stock acurate units.

Unless the game features both Army and USMC units wich is unlikely, unfortunetly...

US Army using the G36? That's new to me. Oh well, I just hope it's not one shot one kill like it is in OFP. And I haven't seen any Bradleys, Kiowas, Apaches, or Chinooks in the latest screenshots. Will these vehicles/aircraft be in ArmA?

The G36 is the most L33T gun in OFP. Why do you think it's the favorite weapon in almost every game. Just turn that baby on full auto and start strafing around every corner in a ctf and if theres a guy there let er' rip the spray will get him and all it needs is 1 hit. pistols.gifpistols.gifpistols.gif

Back after your post ban, eh? icon_rolleyes.gif

The US Army isn't using the G36 as far as I know. They must be including it for depth, as it was in the last OFP.

The Game is set in 2011, when that comes around we don't know whether that version of the cobra will be in the army or not. Certainly Bell has been trying to sell the thing overseas.

Are you talking about game 2?

STGN

Quote 3D action post

Did I imagine something here in single player games for OFP or did I not respawn from AI that were still alive in a mission? Maybe it was MP only. I'm confused.

A lot of us have been bitching about this difference in gameplay for the past month. goodnight.gif

No, he's right. It's not "character swapping feature" mazza is talking about, it sounds more like group respawn. Switching character is mentioned a little later in the article. You don't have to be dead to take advandage of the character swapping feature, at least that's how i understand it.

I know it was already said demo will be released right before ARMA's release but

Wouldn't it be more intelligent and efficient if BIS release a simple demo at this stage (now that E3 is closed and BIS didn't get a publisher) so fans could give their sense/based opinion on what was made so far (and still missing) in order to improve this "peace of art", then fans would shut up with not point words.

This could give BIS more time to improve ARMA without having Fans counting the minuts. (we feel that BIS need time to improve the game and Fans are pressuring them to release it)

We could help them somehow with more precise/efficient stuff/ideas for the release version of ARMA! (even if still 25% to finish)

I bet it could help them to get a publisher easyer and faster.

and don't give me that crap "If they're in they're in, if they're not they're not", sounds like a intellectual low thought to me.

Open mind is needed for this superb art. (BIS, please interact with OFP Fans on this matter/thought for the main purpose/goal)

Guest Ti0n3r

The pic with the G36 and ~1985 era woodland BDU seems to indicate that the Elite content will be in ArmA. We need that stuff notworthy.gif

(OK, that pic is probably old)

bravo 6 think !

thread

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Will there be any more video of actual gameplay?

I guess the reason why we don´t see actual gameplay footage is because the product is still in Alpha and not fully operational atm.

Imagine an ingame trailer with lots of errors on units, animations, gameplay and gfx issues.

Taking the comments from the com here into account it would be a very negative downblast to ArAs image and community hopes and the press would flatten it. Just look at the amount of posts about the "wrong" swaying of palmtrees. Take that onto a whole alpha gameplay footage and you´ll realize that it would be ripped to pieces by the "demanding com" and the press.

I don´t go conform with all that nitpicking by the com btw. BIS are not blind, I guess it´s somewhat useless to put fingers on this and that all over the time. They have already shown that they know how to make realistic games. I don´t think they need a bunch of experts who get lost in debating the sway-mode of palmtrees. Period.

Ingame footage for sure will be released if ArAs has evolved. Releasing such today would be a bad idea for BIS and for the product.

Simple reasoning forbids a demo at this time.

ok ok,

i was just trying to be constructive and helpfull confused_o.gif

feel so impotent sad_o.gif

now that E3 is closed and BIS didn't get a publisher

is this true ? source please... huh.gif

Sounds great! biggrin_o.gif

I really dont see why all of you fail to see these are options! look it up in a fucking dictionary!

1. If you die and the deathcam swaps in, you can just load the previous game, like you used to.

2. You are not forced to use other kinds of units, it's an OPTION so that you can play thesame mission with different units!

From what I see, respawn is possible in Singleplayer now! this means allot of new possibilities for mission makers.

Imagine, a beach assault (anno Dday) mission, where you can choose to either fight as a german Mgunner, german sniper, german infantryman, allied soldier, allied sniper, allied MG'er, anti-tank person, medic.... need me to continue? icon_rolleyes.gif .

Imagine, a beach assault (anno Dday) mission, where you can choose to either fight as a german Mgunner, german sniper, german infantryman, allied soldier, allied sniper, allied MG'er, anti-tank person, medic....  need me to continue?  icon_rolleyes.gif .

That was already possible with the unit swap feature, no need to give everyone extra "lives", thats just lame.  wink_o.gif

And YES I KNOW I CAN IGNORE IT! But, its possible that the missions will be build in such a way that you will certainly die(1 squad vs 3000000 enemies?), and therefore BIS putted in this respawn stuff...  crazy_o.gif

Come on, this isnt that battlefield game for the xbox right? confused_o.gif