Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Damned, i need to learn Czech, oh well, i hope someone can translate it?  smile_o.gif

There's nothing new about ArmA. Only that effects like explosions and smoke exploits DX9. So in ArmA could be new explosions and smoke  biggrin_o.gif

Ah, thats good, i hope they will have the same quality of Ghost recon 3 (well, a bit lower, otherwise my PC cant handle it anymore once 5+ tanks are destroyed tounge2.gif )

Ok. At the weekend was OFP lanparty in the Czech Republic, where was demonstated ArmA.

So here's some gossip biggrin_o.gif

BIS doing everything for release in June. In the meantime, it's looking favourably.

The Game was played with smooth FPS on 2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram. But the game ins't fully optimalizated yet.

Guest Ti0n3r

OMG WTF Thanks for the gossip xmas_o.gif

BIS doing everything for release in June. In the meantime, it's looking favourably.

The Game was played with smooth FPS on 2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram. But the game ins't fully optimalizated yet.

is that "good or bad news"? huh.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Looks like very good news to me.

Great news on the release date, however I might need to think about upgrading my PC...

is that "good or bad news"?  huh.gif

That depends on your PC...  rofl.gif

Seriously, that sentence says nothing, it might aswell run with smooth FPS on a p1, tnt2, 128mb ram, (well, it doesnt, but you get the point).

We already know the minimum specs (kinda), and everything runs smooth on a system like that! tounge2.gif

Will this game be on a CD or a DVD?

Personally, I'd like to see it on a DVD if it would mean that there would be dynamically-talking A.I. and a diverse range of animations.

If anyone plans on upgrading my advise would be to wait for dx10 and 64bit stuff. Those should be really big leaps in terms of performance.

[edit]sure it's only half a year until those arrive, so i get where your coming from, but if you are just above the minimum specs then i don't see how spending so much money is advisable

Anyone reckon that BIS are going to try to make the OFP and ArmA release dates coincide? i.e both will end up being released on the 22nd June

Anyone reckon that BIS are going to try to make the OFP and ArmA release dates coincide? i.e both will end up being released on the 22nd June

I hope so, June is next month! biggrin_o.gif

Yea, I talked to placebo a while ago, and they will try as much to make them coincide... But they better get a publisher at E3 then smile_o.gif

June 22nd? Thats during the worldcup! bad bad bad idea!  thumbs-up.gif

Don't worry. Your team will be out until 22nd biggrin_o.gif

June 22nd? Thats during the worldcup! bad bad bad idea!  thumbs-up.gif

Maybe ArmA will have commercials during the World Cup. That would be nice get it out to A LOT of people that way but I highly doubt that is affordable.

Noticed the date on the first video (non Official) Monday 22nd July, and after that appears Somato 22nd June.

This Year 22nd July is not a Monday..

When 22nd June appears in screen it doesnt say Monday or any other week day..

you think they made this video with dates with some idea? blush.gif

edit: Ok Jakerod.

A link would be nice though..

Noticed the date on the first video (non Official) Monday 22nd July, and after that appears Somato 22nd June.

This Year 22nd July is not a Monday..

When 22nd June appears in screen it doesnt say Monday or any other week day..

you think they made this video with dates with some idea?  blush.gif

I mentioned how the dates don't line up in the video in some other thread a while back.

Guest Ti0n3r

Ok this is just a thought.. But if it's true that they aim for a June 2006 release then we might see that MP demo earlier than we thought xmas_o.gif

maybe they plan for a similar date like when original ofp got released, i dunno just a thought... tounge2.gif

From there

Quote[/b] ]The VBS2 engine, due for release in Q3 this year, is being developed in accordance with the user requirement of customer organisations based upon their experiences with VBS1.

I remember reading that vbs2 was supposed to be using the "game2" engine, and if it is released so soonâ„¢ this year , does that mean that "game2" is approaching completion so soon while ArmA is not even released ?

Guest Ti0n3r

It might just mean that the VBS2 engine is based on the Game2 engine, so I don't think the 'release' of VBS2 has anything to do with the release of Game2.

Btw, as far as I know VBS2 won't be available to the public for a long time, so we won't miss anything if VBS2 is released before Game2.

Sorry for going offtopic whistle.gif

Not that off topic

Game2 engine is near completion due that vbs2 (public release or not, that's not important for me) supposed to be soon to be released (unless vbs2 use a modified version of the ArmA engine, not the game2 one like i read previously).

From what we know BIS is working in the same time on ArmA and "game2" and certainly help BIA to get vbs2 ready in time, i really wonder if it means for the public that "game2" and ArmA will be released soon one after the other once they find a publisher.

Despite using different engine, that would create certainly some problem to release similar games one after another in a short delay.

I remember reading that vbs2 was supposed to be using the "game2" engine, and if it is released so soonâ„¢ this year , does that mean that "game2" is approaching completion so soon while ArmA is not even released ?

The engine is only a small part of what a game is about. We've already heard that Game 2 is likely to be in development for another two years (at least). During this time they will be working on the content, gameplay, AI etc which is no small task in an RPG style dynamic battlefield game taking place on a 1000 sq. km. island.

VBS2 is simple in comparison to Game 2, the army aren't interested in role playing with AI for a start. The VBS2 team is also likely to be bigger than the Game 2 team!

Just because Game2 engine is near complete doesn't mean to say that Game2 is also! A game as ambitious as game2 that is supposedly gonna have lots of features not to mention gameplay, missions and a campaign will require a lot of working on for sometime yet.  wink_o.gif

Vbs2 is more of a tactical simulator and won't have lots of pre-made missions and a campaign with all the usual gaming eye candy.  smile_o.gif  IMHO!

EDIT: GBee got there first!  biggrin_o.gif

Vbs2 is more of a tactical simulator and won't have lots of pre-made missions and a campaign with all the usual gaming eye candy. smile_o.gif IMHO!

No it just has a deeper level of "realism" which can be better used for training. I've seen/played VBS1, same as OFP with different units, maxed-out visuals and better scripts/tools for missions. afaik shooting from cars is still fully scripted in VBS1 =).