Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

tounge2.gif

yeah - without optimalization "two Geforce 7800GTXs had some trouble recording footage" rofl.gif

hmm. nice graphics, models and stuff.. and a few improvements (character switching, bridge).

sorry, but other than that, it is the same as plain OFP with some stuff included which has been made by the community for OFP long ago in the same quality.

I expected a lot more from the game.

Very nice video, OFP seems to get an impressive face lifting.

This time we can even see the bridge being destroyed dynamically smile_o.gif

It might just be the Video, but i think the colours are too contrasted and make it look abit arcady, or maybe i've just been playing grundgy OFP1 too long... crazy_o.gif ??

It looks pretty good in most areas though, particuly to the end of the video where you are in the gunners view and see the crop fields, that sort of area. Urban combat looks to be good too, just those colours in areas that seem abit off.

Those stills look better than most screenshots I've seen so far! Thank you so much for the mirrors, downloading now!   smile_o.gif

EDIT:

Awesome! Very impressed, the radio commands have been improved immensly! Excellent stuff. biggrin_o.gif

Again, alot of this video is the source of the screenies. confused_o.gif

If this is OFP with a facelift and allowing greater numbers of units, and even better scripting access... WOW.

BTW: look at the video at ~1:40, as the helos land, there is a white object which at first I thought was a missile. Um. It's a bird. banghead.gif

When I knew what it was, it became an immersive, beautiful thing. inlove.gif

My predictions at what year this takes place in.

Judging by the Monday July 22 part at the beginning of the video the only years it could be are:

1991 or

I am assuming its either 2002 or 1996.

EDIT: Now im really confused it goes from July 22 to June 22

If it is somewhere in the near future...that would have to be 2013 which seems unlikely... confused_o.gif

June 22 would be 2009, which seems believable.

Otherwise, 2002 seems likely since the M4A1 carried looks modern (though I am not an M4A1 expert thank God).

Game 2 is supposed to be near future not ArmA.

It might just be the Video, but i think the colours are too contrasted and make it look abit arcady, or maybe i've just been playing grundgy OFP1 too long... crazy_o.gif ??

It looks pretty good in most areas though, particuly to the end of the video where you are in the gunners view and see the crop fields, that sort of area. Urban combat looks to be good too, just those colours in areas that seem abit off.

They are a little, yeah.

*Holding my breath, I take my moderator hat off*

OK, here is my opinion. I've watched the video twice now, and will probably watch it again.

I honestly see nothing different in AA than OFP, save for everything now gleams in the sunlight, helicopters getting shot down look a little bit prettier and you now have the option to skip and jump your way around the battlefield. Also, view distance looks like it's improved a bit.

From what I can see, the armor modelling hasn't changed, tanks zig-zag as a substitute for seeking real cover, the AI hasn't appreciably changed, the equipment is obsolete (there are no Vulcans anymore, and haven't been since about 1992, not to mention M21 sniper rifles, XM-177E2 rifles and M72 LAWs), the battles are still mad rushes with little or no military thought involved, and the animations are unchanged.

I've seen many references to VBS in the promotions of Armed Assault - primarily from unofficial sources, though - yet I see no kind of influence at all. Sure, it looks like a lot of the models were pulled out of VBS and tweaked a bit, but overall I get the impression that AA is OFP with an unneeded facelift. I've seen absolutely nothing new involving gameplay in that entire 7 minute long video. The US Army pack for VBS looks far superior to anything I've seen in AA thus far (note: I don't have the US Army pack, so I can't say that for absolute certain).

The essence of what I'm saying - none of the core gameplay shortcomings of OFP appear to have been addressed. I see no multigunners, no evidence of all weapons available on all vehicle classes, no moving around in vehicles, no swimming, and no proper grass (eyecandy tufts don't really count).

And for that, I'm very dissappointed. It looks like someone watched Black Hawk Down a few too many times and decided to throw as much of that movie as possible into the game.

I understand that this video is from a beta/tech demo. Hopefully its a lot older than I think it is. I also understand that AA is kind of an interim bridge between OFP and not a revolutionary new product, but in this video I don't see evidence of any of the improvements we've read about in the recent interviews.

I dunno - I guess this is why BIS keeps so quiet. A bone gets offered and then chewed up by the pack who only want more. I hope there's more evidence of improvements in AA in the coming weeks. Of course all of us on the forum are going to buy this, if anything JIP is worth that price, but what is lacking in AA when it ships means we have to wait that much longer for the community to create it.

*End rant*

this is just an early tech demo. early tech demo. early tech demo. things most likely have changed since the "early"

early tech demo.

which means that most of these things are old, and werent replaced in this particular video. look at the screenshots, half the new things aren't in here.

this is just an early tech demo. early tech demo. early tech demo. things most likely have changed since the "early"

early tech demo.

which means that most of these things are old, and werent replaced in this particular video. look at the screenshots, half the new things aren't in here.

Define early. I don't see a date, so I can't say "Well, it's six months old". For all I know it could be last week's tech demo. But it's out, so comments upon it are fair game.

Theres too much rehash in that vid for me to even really comment on "Arm Ass".

All I see is OFP in that video.

-gunsights

-anims

-sounds

-music

-vehicles

-gameplay

Ok, i like the terrain. its looks a lot better on the surface

goodnight.gif

Sounds like people are looking for a new game, I considers AA no more of a update than resistance was to OFP.....looks better, plays better and is still the best game out there.

Nice, how old is the build of the game in the trailer? A fair few models look dated compared to the rest. The way the troops exit the helicopters is pretty weird too and I hope that they are redoing all the animations.

I think Bis confirmed several months ago that new animations will be in Armed Assault, so i think that this trailer is outdated smile_o.gif

I really hope that's an old version of the game, because I tend to agee with Hellfish.

The rifle we saw the most of was labelled xm-177e2 but it was defnitely an M4A1/M203 with an ACOG scope, which is current gear. There was an M72, although I did spot an AT4 on one guy. I'd only add that I saw a documentary recently where a member of the 82nd Airborne was carrying an M72 in Iraq.

Unfortunately the AI behavior looks exactly like OFP and I think we could have shot that video today with a bunch of addons and ECP.

Thankfully the radio voices sound a LOT better biggrin_o.gif

Near to everything i saw in the video seems pleasant for me, but the animations :/

Some of the scenes are already making my imagination boiling about how i could exploit some of the background in the mission editor wink_o.gif .

But those old OFP animations are really awfull now and are standing out too much giving a weird "cartoon" feeling to the action we can see.

I hope we will see the new "lifelike" animations soon, as the OFP ones are really showing their age now in the video.

The terrain, in the town attack/defend sequence seems a very very lot improved in comparison to some screenshots we have recently seen.

The texture detail is really incredible , it seems there are real grass while it is in fact just a texture on the ground, nothing in common with the terrain texture i see in OFP , good job on that icon14.gif

The radio sounds and weapon sounds are much more believable, and the view distance is greatly improved as well as the terrain detail. However, the navigation inside buildings still looks strange (textures could be MUCH better on the walls), and the animations are from OFP i hope, but im pretty sure that this is old and the game is much improved now. Looks great, keep up the good work BIS. Hope for more info soon yay.gif

Radio sounds seems to be improved but based on the same old OFP structure. I thought it would be changed a bit?icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ](V.B): A much easier squad control system is currently under development. It means no more pressing numbers in a complicated commanding structure. We are aiming to implement a "simple as possible" control scheme in the game, but we still want to retain all (or almost all) of the commanding / controlling possibilities from the original title.

From the movie i liked the look of the island. It's hard to say because there are no long enough sections of constant action to tell for sure but i think the trees look much better. (apart from the old OFP trees at 4:25) I mean there's no flickering when changing lods. (it was mentioned in some interview wasn't it?) The problem is with grass which blocks the view only at very low distances and gives no cover at all at higher distances. Can't it be done as in inv44 or OFPL's Lechistan island?

I'm also worried about the AI. There's no visible improvements and i lost any hope for covering fire. And when player as a sniper shoots at those guards standing at ease I'd say that the AI is just dumb.

About the realism of missions. I'm not an expert but what troubles me from the original OFP is would the spetznaz teams really do the parachute jumps into the battle this way? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'd expect them to be inserted the normal way behind some cover...

And for the map. Don't you think that OFP's map which allowed you zooming to see every bush was too detailed? On normal maps you don't have that level of detail and it would be a bit more challenging to figure out where you are. And yes, it could be simulation of maps made from actual satelite photos but when it comes to WWII mods there should be IMHO an option to block the bigger zooms.

Some small things now. Anyone noticed that when the 'select class' dialog appears there is no pause? It's only setacctimed to very slow motion. And am I right that when the mission in the movie starts one of the blackhawks starts on the LZ with it's engine off?

sounds of guns are terrible as always and anims are from OFPE - disgust (fistly unreal crawl with guns, secondary I can only kneel down with RPG)

AIM unchanged crazy_o.gif - I would like stationary crosshair for dynamic battle (as Hitman2,3).

Chill out guys! The fact that we have had to hunt this trailer down says it all. It's an old tech demo. If it had just been announced and released by BIS over their website and other places and done in English and other languages with news of a publisher and ETA .....then I would be concerned!

A summer release date means there is still lots to do! With that in mind I think this video looks great! slownana.gifslownana.gif