Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

VTE open beta 09-13-05

Quote[/b] ]Sorry guys against all other meanings, this mod needs absolutely to be reworked again.

the usmc soldier have no weapon sound,the muzzle flash looks quiet unreal (yellow?similar to old 2001times of ofp,those time ve been gone).Have the campaigns been tested more than just once?SAme to the missions.Or are these missions a  collection of all foundable nam missions to put them into one pack.

I am sure you spend a lot of time to your mod,but it needs defintely to work more to it.I haven´t seen more than a few mission (at some CTDs),and the firt missions of 3 campaigns,and i don´t think they are that good enough to release with a project u spend a lot time with.Put 5 missions to it ,that are really tested and finished.Some have no overview (->basics of missions),no stringtable or description.ext.

I am  a bit sad for dlíng so much MB for a not finished work...think about those people that have volume limit.

Well flobert, it is a beta... It isn't finished for a reason, beacuse they want community comments, they never stated it was finished, otherwise it wouldn't be a beta.

Anyway,I was just playing random missions and found a buggy mission. It's "Behind enemy lines". When you play the mission, you are dropped in the middle of the ocean, and everything is falling in the water at start.I think it's merged on a wrong island or seomthink like that help.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Bn880 tracers, CoC Unified Artillery, CoC Mines, JAM2 and USMC markers

You should have either a link for these or include the .rar files in the dload.

EDIT: Ok, at least OFP.info has links in the news post

The islands are awsome. The 7 Mountains island one is my favorite by far. Alot of other cool inclusions too.

However, one of the VC or (of sort) are carrying a french bolt action rifle (not sure, Mas39 or of sort?) but it dosn't seem to have any 'bolt' sound and the pause between the shots are very quick. It fires somewhat more like a Garand.

Personally, the only real thing I don't like, is the tracers. I can play with them, but personally I don't like them. Nothing against them, I just don't prefer to have the tracers.

I am pretty impressed with this open beta, especially at the size of it. So many wonderful units to choose from, including Aussies and Brits smile_o.gif I was very happy to finally see a Mig-19 Farmer in OFP, as well as many new versions of Western Side aircraft. Keep up the good work!

@Kode:

i played that mission and its playable,nothing falls into water cause there's an island.You must be missing something.

or i am huh.gif

i remember that when i wanted to play one mission then it throwed me to main menu confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyway,I was just playing random missions and found a buggy mission. It's "Behind enemy lines". When you play the mission, you are dropped in the middle of the ocean, and everything is falling in the water at start.I think it's merged on a wrong island or seomthink like that help.gif .

I have the same problem with the mission, strange that it works with others. Quite a shame, since the mission seems interesting.

Any solutions would be very appreciated wink_o.gif

Hey, great job including all that stuff in your mod. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif I love it.

But I think you need to do a bit more work... First off, some textures need to be smoothed out (i.e. the Sherman Tank, and the hand/arms of some American units, the US Officer I think was one).

I've noticed a few more than that, but I'll have to go back and play some more to see what they are again...

But does any body know what MIKE stands for or what it is/was? huh.gif

is this, in fact, just a big collection of addons and missions made by several people rather than a mod with all new stuff?

it just seemed like it, cos a look at my 'nam addons folder revealed almost the same number and types of addons..

if not, great, and even if it is, well.. nice work. smile_o.gif

But does any body know what MIKE stands for or what it is/was?  huh.gif

From MFA Home page www.mikeforceassoc.org:

"Mike Force

Recording the history the Mike Force and the success achieved by of these Mobile Strike Force units in their short time as a part of Special Forces, Vietnam, is our mission.

The Mike Force was a reaction force that was meant to be force multiplier unit comprised of several hundred Mountgnards, Vietnamese, ethnic Cambodians or ethnic Chinese, all organized, equipped, trained, and led by United States Army Special Forces and Australian SAS advisors. Sometimes there were as few as one or two Americans or Australians assigned to a force of several hundred mercenaries.

It was a difficult task to keep the units focused on their mission to reinforce Special Forces camps, and conduct reconnaissance in force, combat patrols, and search and destroy missions. In some cases, they also recaptured camps that were overrun by Viet Cong or North Vietnamese Army Regular forces."

That's right, people, there is a buggy mission called "Behind enemy lines". I had the same problem that you have mentioned when I tried to give it a go with the VtE mod whereas I hadn't had any with the original version using the Phuoy Tuc Province(Australian AO). The mission in the original version was O.K., although there was a problem with a trigger or something as it doesn't end when it comes to E&E. I hope it's going to be fixed, that way or the other.

OK I'm still not clear on this...

Is this a consolidation of all previously released Vietnam War era addons? Are there new addons? Is this a total mod?

I'm kinda confused and shan't be downloading what sounds like a hefty file, until a few things are made clear, thanks

This mod seems very nice and its good with this impressive amount of mp , sp missions and even a couple of campaigns, but i got surprised that in the vte_east section in the editor i found in vehicles lots of strange stuff like pt67 apc or and some amphibious apc was not correct vehicle. Instead of the pt vehicle it was a bmp?!? crazy_o.gif And i don't remember name of vehicle right now but some where i saw m133 apc on the east side too. Did they have american tanks/ apc's on the nva side? And the textures on some of the west side vehicles needed some real work on them. The m2 machinegun on the cckw truck was a bit blured out and stretched out funny.

though i like the different sound and model of it so its just not all bad smile_o.gif Soldiers where all pretty good, at least those that i tried out, i liked a bit the different aproach you had taken to equip all soldiers with hd mags instead of regular jam mags to make firefights more lenghtier i guess. So no problems with the soldiers for me anyways. But other people may want to have in the groups section in the mission editor hd groups and non hd groups of all the soldiers.

sounds and the other stuff on the infantery reminded me of the old SEB nam pack but better in the sounds and looks of weapons somehow.

Only thing i would like would maybe bee that you would ahve updated the soldiers with the john rambos vietnam soldiers style somehow. But the hands feels better than the seb one's somehow so you got the get credit for that.

I know this was a open beta but maybe you can fix a readme with all the scripting abilities that your units can have and stuff for mission editors wink_o.gif

Yeah now back to the vehicles.. some of the tanks where strange , the centurions i saw had some flickering textures and lightning seemed a bit odd sometimes. the B-52 stratofortess was pure joy to fly and drop massive amounts of bombs. but im thinking you should double the amount of ammo it gets empty so quick pistols.gif

And the cockpit textures and maybe model seemed very 2d styled and made the bis a-10 cockpit textures look better.

the east side some self proppeled gun was a t-55 im not sure if that is correct?

i can't come with anymore stuff at the moment cause im in school now but i'll do some more extensive testing today.

Btw I love one thing with this vietnam mod and its the objects, a lot of work seems to have been put there and its good cause there isn't so much nam objects around and your objects are very welcome.

Also liked the fixed guns and mg's like M1919A4 tripod and DShK Heavy MG. The ability to rotatate / move the gun to left and right was brilliant i thought and the vietnam one with armor plating was really nice. this pack really made me a bit more intrested again into the nam stuff again.

Really nice work i hope you guys will fix all the bugs and stuff and this mod would be a keeper.

Looks nice ill try it out.

One thing though i noticed the lack of Cl Klink's pt boats ,i think they could really add something maybe with some Pt boat missions.

The charm of this package is a bit *raw*, but it's a beta - not perfect.

The best things i noticed so far are that all units use jam now - i just changed the jam_sound to my own one and it instantly worked - great, saved me a lot of time converting the sebnam2 pack on my own.

Another great thing are the islands, i esp like the new ia drang with different jungle pieces (from resistance i think).

There's a new M16A1 which is highly detailed - also a great addition for us nam freakz.

Anyone who is interested in OpF Nam needs this package. I just hope we don't need to DL another 330mb for the next update. biggrin_o.gif

Thx for reading

i just tryed this one out!

as for a beta it's awesome...

but...

1. fix the single missions, some of them don't have pictures and i'm getting errored...

2. wouldn't it be better to replace seb's hueys, m-60 and etc. with addons, like: CSJ Hueys, Inq M-60A1, CJE or CSJ Air cavalry troops... and weapons also should be changed to better and realistic...

well... i mentioned only these "bugs"... thought it was only first mod lauch smile_o.gif

Well apparently Snakeman placed a hell of a lot of MP missions in the regular Missions-folder, that's why some missions don't have overviews and are cleary MP...

Great addons and music, fantastic, climatic Islands, but Single Player missions? Sorry, but quantity does not mean quality... confused_o.gif

Nice job on the BETA. I hope you fix the M551 Sheridan because if I read it right, the M551 Sheridan has a 152mm main gun and not 105mm (I heard there was a rare 105mm verison but that was after Vietnam). Also, nice job on the M16 and AK-47.

Some of the release is nice.. some of it is not so nice.

There seem to be a lot of placeholders, and that M551 needs a fair bit of work.

It's a nice map and has a lot of nice troops included though. smile_o.gif

First I'd like to thank anyone posting here, the response has been very nice. Thanks guys, keep up posting feedback, good or bad. smile_o.gif

Now lets sort out and answer some questions...

Quote[/b] ]insane amount, are they all new?

No not all missions/campaigns are new, my PMC NAM 1965 campaign is new and then I have some other stuff. Hawkins have two new unreleased missions there I believe. Other missions are conversions of previously released stuff.

Some are very simple conversions, some I had to edit bit more to suit VTE.

Quote[/b] ]is there any way to place these trenches in the editor?

Apparently no, but we'll look into it smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]fvt_tl, that's a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery old beta version

Okay send me a new one, convert it yourself so its completely your work.

Quote[/b] ]Are the models still in development for a lot of the vehicles etc? Cos the FIA t55 appeared as a Su76

Yes some ground vehicle models are still under development and they are using placeholder models. Same goes for MH-130 Combat Talon, its just the same as C-130 cargo model, ie textures and all.

Quote[/b] ]Can someone make an .exe file? The instructions are a bit confusing for me.

Never, I'll never release any OFP addon with exe installer. If the instructions are confusing, try to just unrar the packet into your OFP directory. If you dont know how to make shortcut to OFP with the mod dir parameter, then I dont know what to say.

Quote[/b] ]the usmc soldier have no weapon sound,the muzzle flash looks quiet unreal

Are you sure you're running JAM2 correctly?

Quote[/b] ]Have the campaigns been tested more than just once?

Yes two times, but that was mainly because so much changed after the intial conversion. What I mean is I personally converted these campaigns/missions and tested that they start and play cutscenes correctly.

Quote[/b] ]few mission (at some CTDs)

Which mission gives you a CTD?

Quote[/b] ]It's "Behind enemy lines". When you play the mission, you are dropped in the middle of the ocean

Ah indeed, this will be fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote[/b] ]You should have either a link for these or include the .rar files in the dload.

Link, fair point. But the idea of letting these addons be separate is that we havent done any modifications for them and they are considered as "industry standard", meaning everyone should have them now.

I refuse to go down that road that people are sloppy making pbo's or install packages. I just freaking hate downloading X amount of megabytes and then finding out that gee whiz, I just downloaded AGS industry pack for ninth time. Oh and for those who say that VTE includes already released stuff, well these are edited/converted to suit VTE, they are not just dropped into the dir.

Quote[/b] ]french bolt action rifle (not sure, Mas39 or of sort?) but it dosn't seem to have any 'bolt' sound and the pause between the shots are very quick.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into this.

Quote[/b] ]Where can I read or see what units/vehicles are still placeholders?

Umm nowhere. If I remember, I'll try to put a list together. But roughly we could say that from the SEB NAM Pack 2 base, M551 Sheridan now has new model. As said before, we're working on getting new models there. If anyone has such models or knows such released models, let us know please.

Quote[/b] ]I have the same problem with the mission, strange that it works with others.  Quite a shame, since the mission seems interesting.

Behind Enemy Lines and few others are buggy indeed. These will be fixed. I assume it works for somepeople because they have the old island installed, which this buggy mission refers to.

Quote[/b] ]is this, in fact, just a big collection of addons and missions made by several people rather than a mod with all new stuff?

Yes and No.

This is not 100% new stuff, but then again what is. This however is not only a collection of addons packed to "MOD" and released, not even close. For example, our islands pbo is 242mb in size, our objects pbo is 144mb in size, these all are new stuff. Yes we use stull like Footmunch A-6 intruder and so on, but B-52 (Footmunch) and AJ-1 Skyraider (NPAM) for example are previously not released addons.

Quote[/b] ]Is this a total mod?

Well what is "total" mod?

We dont modify the Bin/ directory contents as of yet, so no mission editor or main menu GUI has been changed. I dont feel that this is important to get the NAM feeling. What is important to have the player sit in the rainy jungle under a palmtree holding hes JAM loaded weapon when aircrafts are dropping napalm nearby smile_o.gif

Later if the benefits are cool enough, we can surely modificate the GUI and such.

Quote[/b] ]Could someone post any pics of the fixed-wing planes, please?

VTE_Aircrafts-02.jpg

Quote[/b] ]I just hope we don't need to DL another 330mb for the next update.

Absolutely not. The first update will be as big as the updated files are (not pbo's, the actual edited files), no more. I do hope we can squash most bugs (in first release) by config.cpp edits, so the update might be really small then.