Sign in to follow this  
Sniper_Kyle

Ofp...dead?

I just tell my friends that you can drive anything or be anything in the game.

I dont think ofp is dieing, and it is by far the best war sim I've played. I mean come on, how many other games allow you to drive to your plane in a small jeep, hop in ur A10, eject after being attacked by missiles, steal a T-80, kill all the enemys before they realize you are there foe, then RTB.

Thats what I call fun. smile_o.gif

The gold age of OFP is over and, for me, that came soon after BAS ended. Addons and mods has kept the puls of OFP beating in many years now, but sadly I think the puls is getting weaker and weaker.

316 pages of addons and mods have we made, an incredible effort from the addon makers, but this can't be stand as the time fly and new games arrives.

I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled this game some times now but the time gap between uninstall and reinstall the game has been expanding over the last 2 years...

All I'm saying is that OFP is soon gone be dead if nothing is done, to boost the numbers of players on MP or info about OFP2 could be something to help this "dead-OFP" problem.

Its only dead if u think it is dead and perpetrate the myth. It will be alive if u think it is alive. Dead or alive, as long as there is still one man standing, one man playing ofp1 in sp, i would hardly call ofp dead.

I had enjoyed total rome, but it lacked the diversity of ofp1. I had played starwars and plenty of other games, but it lacks the scope of ofp1. Until today, i still cant find any other game that puts the game in your own hands and chart your own destiny through a variety of choices similar to the real world.

But then, thats me, and glad that 4yrs ago i bought ofp instead of medal of honour by mistake, almost remove it from harddisk due to the poor graphics quality till i played steal the car and had never looked back since.

Ofp is the best game investment Ive ever made. Ive paid more for new and better looking games but they are always off in a month or so. I bought the game when it came out and it has been on my hd ever since. I dont really look as it being dead or alive because if everyone decided to quit playing it today I wouldnt care. I would keep playing it until I decided I didnt want to anymore.

Gotta throw my two bits in. Someone gave me Operation Flashpoint v1.46 in January of 2002. They got it for Christmas and they couldn't figure it out, let alone run it properly. My roommate and I spent about a year figuring out the editor and the game in general with no outside help/influences. We spent a lot of time setting up simple engagements in the editor and coming up with objective-type missions. He moved away and I got broadband, so I've been checking out all of the addons. Whenever I describe OFP to someone, I say remember those plastic green army guys we used to play with? Imagine if you could set them all up and then tell them to kill each other. I really enjoy putting together air/ground battles and watching to see who wins and how. I agree the AI is a bit stupid but I haven't found a game where they're not. Anyway, lateley I've been doing some playing online and trying to compile some of my mission ideas. I've of course found that there is a world of knowledge out there on mission editing. I've convinced my roommate to buy the game and he does lots of 3dMAX work. I do some textures but mostly sound. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that besides just play-time, OFP offers years of stimulating and rewarding editing and modding. OFP is one of my top three hobbies in both enjoyment and time consumption, second from writing stories and working on my car. Just some thoughts.

WOW! I couldnt believe what you said when you posted it because that is exactly how i have thought of ofp. But now...it seems I have placed those metaphorical "little green army men" into every situation and seen how they react to EVERYTHING....so now it's simply not as fun. I am glad that everyone has shared their opinions in my thread, and I hope to see more. Another thing I have noticed about my attitude with OFP is that whenever an addon comes out, i think that maybe that will be my "fix", maybe that will get me happy about playing this classic game again, rather than just a game collecting 2 gigs of dust on my hard drive.....

however, those addons never seem to do it....for me, the things that interest me that people release are full conversion packs. Those kind of "re-wrap" the game and send it back to me like a new game. However, the newest one, FFUR, is a fairly big pack...and i would probably want to reinstall ofp (again) because it seems that everytime i install a bunch of addons for ofp, it spits out more and more errors, like "Missing Addon" in a mission that has no unofficial addons, etc. Maybe i will just reinstall and try FFUR out, it looks very decent to say the least..... crazy_o.gif

Enough of my babbling on and on i feel like a little crybaby,

SNiper_kyle wink_o.gif

Ahh yes and one last post before i "hit the sack". I also dont have that much love for ofp because of my lack of custom missions. I had tons of custom missions, but one night ofp was giving me A LOT of trouble doing anything, even opening the SHORTCUT!!! So anyways, i reinstalled and patched it up....and then realized that all of the missions, all of the scripts, that i had been working on, were deleted in my rage.....now i feel unmotivated to start over again....

THE END!

Sniper_Kyle unclesam.gif

happened to me atleast 3 times...but every time I ended up making newer missions that are more fun, and I enjoy the challenge of building missions. smile_o.gif

I don't think this game is dead. Sure it is ageing very fast sad_o.gif, but despite that what keeps it alive is (and thats very strange IMO) ABSOLUT AND TOTAL lack of any similar games! I don't know why, but non of other developers ever tried to copy this type of soldier-sim game. Nobody can say that it's small market as OFP was sold in several milions of copies, and also several armies bought it, so why no other company wants to have it's share in such market? Beat me bu I ve no idea.The worst fact is that there are only shooters in productions these days and whats even worst is they are all so boooooooring.

I agree OFP was best game investment I ever made.

I agree OFP was best game investment I ever made.

That's right!

Let's say OFP isn't dead, it just takes a break 'till one of the great mods comes out. smile_o.gif

I'm possibly the oldest OFPer on these forums, and while I seen some come and go (me included), I think this game and its sister ship VBS are heads above nearly all titles released ince OPPs early days. I have seen some remarkable talent emerge over the time I've spent with OFP. While I'm not a great one for playing missions (and I couldn't make a mission to save myself), I give big to thanks BIS and the community for the opportunity of being able to learn how to create 3d models.

As I look back over the years I have been utterly amazed at the people who have given their time into OFP. This game has grown far beyond, I believe, even what the guys at BIS ever imagined. That is the reason for its success. The community spirit is alive and well. OFP is alive and well. Sure it is slowing down a bit, but it won't suddenly die. I'm loolking forward to OFP2 and I am sure I wont be disappointed in how much improved it will be. So take heart guys and keep the faith. I know I am. biggrin_o.gif

The answer may be that there's lack of people who made this kind of games. Everytime someone tries to make something realistic it ends like a total Action-FPP crap. Vietcong had to be realistic - result? Well i believe that if there were good game-designers, there would be an alternative. I think that they don't know that to simulate soldier job, they have to simulate whole battlefield, and when they realize that, nobody is trying to finish project 'cos it's a lot of work. It's very hard to connect realism with unlimitations.

Today's games just suck - they're all at the same template. ID Software haven't done any changes since Quake3 Engine. The same engine is inplemented in SOF2, ET, Painkiller, FarCry, and many other games. Sometimes they add details, sometimes physics, but it's always the same engine! EA Games hasn't got any idea how to produce something inventive - they change engine often, but why the hell are they relasing UnrealTournament Games all the time?

If it isn't going to change soon the game scene will keep being dull, and boring. Everyone concerns on creating duumb arcade games for playstation and so on.

You are right.. I got Brothers in Arms in the hope it as realistic.. well, forget it. It sucks.

I hate maps in where one has to go to a 'tunnel' to get to a ambush point always.. it is always the same.

OFP is never been beaten, and thats why it isnt dead.

Perhaps a little more pr under the newcomers (youngsters) will help..

Johan

Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for OFP?I still love this title and there isnt anything like it.Nothing comes close to it.

OFP will never die for me, unless there is a better war-simulator released. I used to day-dream with a friend of mine when we played Delta Force how wonderful it would be to be abel to drive the vehicles. One day ofp was released and there it was, it had everything we dreamed of!!

As ofp is the only game that have all that, are realistic and have almost unlimited editing and playcapabilities I have what I want. Simple as that. Yes, its not the most advanced grafics and so on but its the ONLY game that is a war-simulator from private to officer, from land to sea.

So even if BIS is no more, all mods have closed down and everybody shuts down the servers and stop playing, OFP is the only way for me to play my small war-scenarios and therefor it cant die for me (unless a better war-simulator is released..).

I also play Alien versus Predator Gold Edition, old as h*** but still got that creepy feeling smile_o.gif and minesweeper... biggrin_o.gif I´m bored of all the "empty" goodlooking games, no reason to install for me.

So even if BIS is no more, all mods have closed down and everybody shuts down the servers and stop playing, OFP is the only way for me to play my small war-scenarios and therefor it cant die for me (unless a better war-simulator is released..).

Yes, and for those who have learned how to mod, and make addons, I could see that those people would still create addons and enjoy OFP just as they would with a model railway.

I don`t really see OFP as dead, I mean dead to what?

There ain`t any real competitiors, OFP won`t be dead until its throne is taken.

I have a hard time imagine that a whole group of players loving realism just disapears moving away from a game that is the only one of it`s kind.

Not sure about the state of the multiplayer community but there are probably ALOT of players never visiting these boards or any boards that are happy with the game just as it is and play the occational lan game or two with friends.

The games only as dead as your involvement in it. I still play for hours each night as a regular on a server with many other people and in my free time I mod the game, its definately more fun than anything else on my HD. So to me, the game is not dead, I dont care what anyone else thinks.

quoted because it is true.

I've recently purchased H&D2 sabre squadron after enjoying the original but all i can say is that i wasted my money because every time i turn on my Pc theres only one shortcut i go for and thats image14lr.jpg.As many members have already said, other games have come and gone but OFP has remained and will remain for a very long time. I also own VBS1 but am a little dissapointed in the developers as i couldn't believe that it wasn't as polished as i was led to believe. On a side note I44 mod IMO is what OFP needs as it's a war where all familiar with and are longing to see played out on what i believe to be the finest simulation ever created for that purpose.

ps: Not forgetting Flashpoint in the Falklands Mod as i'm British  biggrin_o.gif

ok ..time for my 2 cents ..not trying to offend anyone at bis or codemasters when i say this ...a long time ago ..ofp stopped being just their game ...and became ours ..We made the mods broke heavy engine limits and still carry on ..i mean every 1 &3 Fri bout 80 people come over to my house and my buddy next door to play ofp ...what other game can you do that with ..plus look at the OFP community ..kinda like a mini un task force ...only we get stuff done. I mean come on guys ..and girls we've been going strong from a long while. ..and will keep going till we get ofp2 ..or a new patch outta BIS ...but just remember ..it's your game ...make it the best it can be.

OFP will not leave my hard drive before OFP2 comes to replace it. Be it 2006 or 2010. So no, it's not dead or even dying.

I just started playing the orginal campaign only yesterday and now I'm on mission 28 "Rolling Thunder" :-) What a great game, none of the other games in the past 4 years has come even close if you ask me.

ofp is what you make it...

if you dont play MP, or make missions etc, then thats your lost cause and your perogative - you have no-one to blame for your personal failings...

Playing MP has brought the game back to life, and so has the modding side of it... whoever it was who said the graphics are bad, and the coding is as well... i think you forget that no game has managed to equal or better what flashpoint brought us - and to be honest, the graphics i have are still up there with the better games out at the moment

say what you will... but any game that survives 4 years on my HD is not dead...

Got a life, a girlfriend and a pretty timedemanding and tiring job but I stick to OFP simply because it still beats other games in gameplay, athmosphere and multiplayer. Pure Egoism! So expect me to stay here!

OFP is OFP and no other game I have played(haven't played that meany other since 2001) its the only FPS for me now enyother game I try I go hmm why cant I do this why can't I do that I can in OFP. Its funny that I remmember some years ago a guy said that OFP was dead and he was going to play BF like his friends well OFP did not die it actualy became better than it had ever been while I don't see enything new superthing comming by and give OFP 4 more years with all of the beautefull things getting released soon I don't see why I wohnt be playing it for quit a wile longer. The reason why meany people don't like of OFP(I think) is that its very hard(while you can do a bit rambo if your good you whont go far), you don't float around with a gun in your hand and you have to aim too hit(I hate the R6 style aim).

STGN

I have to agree, OFP will not die anytime soon, due to it's uniqueness really, what other game can you say, see a clip of a battle in Iraq (or any other battlefield) and think "hmm that'll be good in OFP" then try frantically to re-create it, same thing applies to addon making really, how many times have you walked by or seen somthing and think "i wonder how well that'll work in OFP), and OFP has by far one of the most active addon communties i've seen for a very long time, and is capable of keeping a consistant high quaility, and yes as others have stated i believe OFP has exceeded many peoples expectations and it has changed completely to the game it used to be.