Sign in to follow this  
Sniper_Kyle

Ofp...dead?

I have no idea what you people are talking about.    Forget opinions:  look at the evidence.

Only one area of the community I grant you, but in the absence of contradictory evidence it seems reasonable to assume that these figures are at least broadly representative of the community as a whole.

in my eyes only OFP2 can kill OFP, many others tried but noone has succeded so far tounge_o.gif

Well, personally, my relationship(don't mock me! smile_o.gif) with OFP is mostly editing, although I occasionally enjoy playing online and play a few SP missions.

i dont know what other ppl think about it, but for me, the hope for this game being better and better is one of my main reason to keep playing, testing, upgrading and saving from major computer fail since 2001, and, for times, or through the game and all of its mod seems to getting trap badly by the engine itself, and the space to breakthrough it is smaller then ever(which is one of the main reason why it is dying), new things there still keep poping out, so IMO, OFP may be dying(and no shiting, it is sad_o.gif ), but hell, this little SOB just wont give up that easily wink_o.gif

I've played OFP for a very long time. The way I keep it fresh is to play obsessively until I vomit for about a month, quit for about 3 months, come back and gather all the good addons made in that time I was gone... and then begin playing again a much better game...repeat cycle.

This game never gets old. I love that it is a modern combat simulator and not some world war 2 arcade game. I also love the massive maps and numerous vehicles (all of which you can drive). Plus, the vibrant addon community is always releasing improvements, whether new islands, units, objects, or whole new effects and graphics.

I understand what you mean about mod makers. The ones that deliver are some sort of Gods. But then there are those that just quit half way, and then there are the teasers. Not that they are obligated to release these things for us, but its such a downer when they don't.

RAAB will keep me using OFP for a very long time (hardly touched VBS1 because of the squad).

and the squad keeps going because of you biggrin_o.gif

I just recently re-bought it(GOTY) and it's still the best game in this genre. I tire quickly of other FPS games, not so with OFP.

Maybe BF2 will change that ;). (at least the command mode seems intriguing). But it will NOT change my mind about keep playing(and simming situations) with OFP. Only OFP 2 can do that.

marcus

I don't think OFP itself is dead, but I think a community that has cranked out so many addons and has nothing better to do than test the limitations of their artistic abilities and in conjunction, the processing power of the newest pcs available aren't doing the actual gaming community any favors.

It's turned more into an art fanciers community from my standpoint.

personnaly i think, ofp will never die.It's a revolutionnary game

and it will last for ever tounge_o.gif

It's a one of lifetime game and even 4 years after release there's no other game that can match with it.I had so many great memories of MP and SP on this game.

Thank you bohemia for such a great game.

On the other hand i also think too much hype on addons "killed" missions makers.But even nowadays its quite easy to get a good coop game and play a mission you never tried before.

OFP will die, once...but as honchoblack said, only OFP2 can put OFP to death in the near future. Unless OFP will go on for many years wink_o.gif And after OFP2 is released, it will go on for even longer (hopefuly)

OFP will die, once...but as honchoblack said, only OFP2 can put OFP to death in the near future. Unless OFP will go on for many years wink_o.gif And after OFP2 is released, it will go on for even longer (hopefuly)

Else OFP will just stop dead in its tracks cause OFP2 meets all our expectations and more, so the Original OFP is no longer good, but the 2nd is. If OFP2 is bad, OFP 1 will continue on for ever I reckon tounge_o.gif .

I can see it now,, OFP2 comes out, we all play the campaign to death, play MP missions that come with the game for first few days, then after a month or so CTI and new misisons hit the servers. Before long addons hopefully.

BUT as coding maybe different and so on the difference this time in addons is that we have been spoilt. When OFP1 came out the addons that slowly trickled out were in comparison now were not that great. So I imagine its possible it might be the same when OFP2 is released or do u think we've got a headstart this time having the knowledge of models and configs.

Aslong as BIS release the all the tools/info needed to get models ingame quickly I dont think we'll see a major drop in quality myself.

I think OFP has died off quite a bit over the past year. All of the new games and big titles coming out, for pc and consoles, has taken it's toll on some of the community. I have stopped playing OFP to focus on another game, but I always come back. I enjoy games like Battlfield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Raven Shield, etc. However, none of those offer the amount of "combat simulation" that OFP does. Another thing for myself is that the amount of players from the U.S. has declined. It's sometimes hard to find players in my time zone. I play with a small group of close friends, not the public. The amount of addons out there is a bit of a problem. While it's absolutely great that we have the opporunity to go find whatever military equipment we want, it does hamper a gamers ability to join servers. Nowadays I usually just make missions for me and my friends to play or just create battles and just sit back and watch.

*By the way, if there are any North American players that are in my kind of situation and have a hard time finding people to play with, leave a post in MY FORUMS and leave your contact info.

Monty

Quote[/b] ]LT Hunter: Have you ever reloaded a gun while standing still? Have you ever reloaded a gun while running? While the first requires some practice to be able to do so effectively, reloading while running is very hard, even for veteran soldiers.

I have been in the Army for 5 years and it is not hard to reload and run at the same time. It's very easy.

I dont thin OFP will die as long as there are still friends to play it online Me and a bunch of buddies from my IL2 squad just switched over and we have been playing ever since

I like it

2004 was really a big slump, from the beggining of the year, to the end, it went

\

\

\

\

\

\

I have an upcoming LAN session with a group of friends (we havent had a session for almost 9 months), and after much discussion and searching, we decided that OFP is still going to be our game of choice. Why? Well, simply put, I don't think anything that has been released since is better in terms of team play and mission possibilities. We play 99% coop missions, and I'm pretty sure no other game out there allows for the sheer flexibility in mission design of OFP, not to mention all the excellent mods and addons available...

The game is still impressive but after all this time we should be playing the sequel by now, i guess VBS also made a big hit to it, it is sad that most of us just cant afford it and are getting old waiting for OPF2. I check the ingame lobby from times to times and its either CTI, private or nothing really, sad times sad_o.gif .

I do miss good FDF CTI combats and some WGL matches,

but that was at the first months of 2004.

As SpecOp9 said:

Start \

\

\

\

\

\ End of 2004

Just look at this thread. It exists becose people still want to talk about OFP. New addons are realeased almost daily (almost). And new peole are buying the game quite alot as its reduced in price and will start a whole new 'junior' community.

Flashpoint will only improve with time as hardware improves allowing us to push the view distance to the limit, or run loads of scripts for exploding vehicles or dynamic sound with no performance reduction.

The only thing that can harm OPF, as others have said, is Operation Flashpoint 2. Even then the 'junior' community will still be around.

Operation flashpoint 1 will be dead when flashpont 2 is released as a budget game (amongst the crappy theme hospital or worms:armagedon type games). Untill then , "LONG LIVE OFP"!

lol. in my books ofp aint dead.

i just discovered it this year and have found people playing it online. hell i often find more people playing ofp than other NEW onlne games.

ofp beats the pants of all other game in gameplay and 'realism'. Its graphics are a bit weak but then add-ons fix that fast.

tho it is a bit quiet. must have been great in its heyday. and perhaps thats whats meant by dead - ie not deceased but dead as in the way a quiet night in an over 30s disco is termed dead "crap its dead in here tonight bob."

smile_o.gif

really looking forwad to ofp2.

I think that graph should be more "bumpy" myself smile_o.gif. I mean, my interest has gone up and down and up again since 2002 or so(when i first got it), even bought the game twice. No game holds a constant interest due to other games popping up now and then.

I'm sure the interest will soar when OFP2 comes out. Hopefully even more with all the addons already made which will only add to the interest. Stuff like I44 etc.

marcus

Ofp2 / \

/ \

/ \

/ \

/ \

/ \

/ \

/ \

/ 2012

Ofp2

Start