Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Have you ever tried quitting smoking/alcohol?

Well, it sounds like in your case your folks are not trying to mask their troubles with addictions, which is great to hear. We need more people like that. I'm just saying that an attitude that I see very prevalent in my area among smokers and drinkers is that they are using that as a means to run away from their troubles, rather than deal with them head on.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, you can abuse alcohol, but that's not what people on average do.

So the reason people light up and bend the elbow is to pass the buck of dealing with life's problems to something else? Has it ever occured to you that that is only denial of the problems, and that they will still be there?

I've been looking at this for a minit now, and I'm trying to see what kind of twisted logic one has to apply to make any such conclusions from my statement. I failed.

The reason people light up and bend the elbow is the same reason why they prepare a tasty meal or have sex (minus the reproduction part of it). It's pleasure.

Quote[/b] ]Either you live in a remarkable area or you have a pretty low standard of expectation for life. Every family that I know that has had a family member who drinks or smokes has had it impact their relationship significantly. When people turn to addicting stuff in an effort to drown out their awareness of things that are not just going to go away, that's not being honest and resolving the issues now is it?

Yes, I live in a remarkable area. It's called Planet Earth.

On the other side there are quite few problems associated with people who categoricaly and out of principle refuse any sort of alcohol etc They are known to get far worse outlets, such as abusing children or beating up their wives. If you want an example, take a look at the pedophilia scandals in the US with the Catholic church. That's unnatural abstinence for you. Another example are Mormons and their high level of spousal abuse.

People need their direct and real pleasures or they go nuts.

Quote[/b] ]

True, but you can judge as to what effect it will have. I have no idea what it is like to have killed someone - since I haven't - but does that automatically disqualify me from commenting on it since I have no 'experience' in that area?

No, but it disqualifies you to claim that you know "what it is like", as Acecombat did.

well, into the fray i go biggrin_o.gif

my old man used to smoke. He quit thank god about two years back. Personally i cant understand what anyone likes about cigarettes. One day i asked him to give me a few pulls on his cigarette. I coughed my lungs out, naturally. Never went to them again thankfully. Alcohol, never tried nor plan to try, nor had the urge to try because it has never been around anyone in my family since it is haram. Of course i could have drank it in those minibars in hotels etc. , but thank god ive never had the urge or craving. thats all just my background with the stuff.

Anyway, of course in our religion anything that you do to the body that causes it harm is a sin. So that includes alcohol and smoking. We can all agree that smoking and alcohol do cause more harm than good in the long run, so from our perspective it would be quite acceptable to ban them.

But naturally values and morality differ from culture to culture, so what is fine and dandy for us, might be totally absurd to someone else.

i follow about the pleasure part, and that may be true for some, but there are also a lot of people who use drugs or alcohol or smoking to get away from their problems. In the end, they return to the problems and get a few more, which are the result of the drinking/smoking. The problem is that if they at one point or another cannot deal with problems effectively, they might consume too much alcohol, or use too much drugs and put there lives and the lives of otheres at risk. Drunk driving happens too often unfortunately, and even more unfortunate is that it kills too many innocent bystanders.

Quote[/b] ]They are known to get far worse outlets, such as abusing children or beating up their wives.

With all due respects denoir, people who come back drunk or too high have a tendency to do the same things. That is why alcohol is a leading cause of child and spouse abuse.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

All work....

biggrin_o.gif

Really, people need to do something to get rid of their stress.

If I finish my exams, I go out and have a few beers with my mates.

We all go home, happy that our exams are over, we're all intoxicated to the state that we swerve a bit on our bicycles but we're all smiling and had a good time.

Mind you, we did not go to some abandoned shed and drank moonshine with the explicit purpose to cloud our spirits.

We go to a public place, interact with other people, play pub games like darts,pool and table football, we have discussions about stuff ranging from the Iraq war and "American imperialism" to stuff like why X hasn't gotten round to getting a girlfriend yet.

Purpose? Fun and relaxation. It may not be your idea of fun, just like I think listening to Queen (Queen rocks btw, I agree tounge_o.gif) in an M81 woodland jacket isn't fun, I'm not going to say that it's weird, we all do different things to unwind, it's a matter of taste.

Mind you, I exercise to relieve stress, and watching anime/reading manga or playing videogames does this as well, this is just less tiring (sports) and more social (the rest). tounge_o.gif

Drunk people may start fights, sober people start fights, it depends on every person, I'm not a violent drunk, I just get sleepy when I've had too much. biggrin_o.gif

Let me draw the parralel to people hell-bent on blaming videogames for violence, they're just dissing something they don't know about.

OK, I've just got back from a night out on a piss, as you can probably tell from my simple speeling and grammer errors.

Does it harm you? Yes in the long run, most definetley. (And your bank balance ) wink_o.gif Is it worth is? For sure! I'm sorry but getting drunk allows you to talk about stuff you wouldn't talk about when sober and makes things much more interesting. It gives you confidence, the kind you couldn't have when sober. Drinking moderatley when young is an experince, not an health risk. I'm sorry but if you think a little drop of alcohol is gonna turn you into a mindless slob your completely wrong. Drinking excsevily every day sure will, but drinking moderatley every now and then lets you have fun that you wouldnt otherwise be allwowed to have when sober.

video games, music, and mindless entertainment (cartoon network's Adult Swim) are all i need for stress relieve. i've seen what people look like they been smoking all their life. i've seen them cough up some nasty shit, seen 80 year olds on resparators and still smoking. its kinda sad that they wana just allow their lives to wither up like that but its their life. drinking myself into a stupor and waking up w/ a hangover isn't my idea of a good time either. my grandfather died of kidney failure because of all the alcohol he drank in his life time.

I smoked two packets of cigarettes a day for fifteen years since I was fifteen years old... sad_o.gif

Now I havent had a ciggies in 2 1/2 maniths smile_o.gif Easier than I thought it would be...

Cold turkey too...

Smoking feeling good is much similar to the effect generated when u really really neeed to go to the toilet, longer u have to weight the better it feels when u get there. Its not the relaxation or anything it just u getting your nicotine craving sataisfied, if u wernt a smoker in the first place would u be so stressed in the first place? Like always bustin for the toilet.

so you say if i diden't eat I did not have to go to the toilet hmm I think I will try that biggrin_o.gif

sory my crazy mind just went on I totaly agree whit you.

Its funny how every thing can get you adicted like, Job, working out, playing OFP crazy_o.gif I think itsa beacuse we need pleasure in some way and a sort of comfordness in knowing what to do, offcause there the less god(smokng, drinking, killing) way and abit more god (reading a book, painting, make addons and missions for OFP biggrin_o.gif ) way

What i don't understand is that some people have to drink to be together whats the value in that? and they don't just drink a beer or two they drink much more ending up puking on the floor now if you don't have a problem where is need to blow you brain out this way? I think its a bit sad that some feel they need alcohol.

note. I know not all people drink a hole lot but some do.

STGN

Quote[/b] ]You have your booze, women, and smokes today, we have our faith in tomorrow. You get hangovers, morning-afters, and stinky clothes. We a whole new day to build on, always looking proactively to the future, rather than reactively responding to physical cravings in the here and now.

Let me just ask you a question. Have you ever gone to bed after 11pm?  rock.gif  or is that ruining your next day experience?

Always look proactively into the future... sunshine sunshine.. rainbow rainbow...  biggrin_o.gif Do you also reject the wine you are given in church?

Now seriously, sorry I couldnt resist. My point is that there is a time for everything. There is a time for sports in the morning, even with a hangover. There is enough time in your life to live without cigarettes or alcohol, but there is also space for some nice nights when you may commit a little "physical sin" with alcohol.

We are talking from a different cultural background. Here in germany for example we were allowed to take dadys beer at the age of 14 if we wanted to. To get alcohol in a shop was just as easy. By the age of 19 we already have enough experience on how to deal with it. What kind of dinner is it if you cant bring a bottle of wine? Here that would be a insult to the lady/man who cooked the meal, if you come along with a coke.

Of course it happens that suddenly everyone brought a bottle and you all have a bit too much of it. So what? It was a nice dinner, you call a cab or take the sub and the next day you dont necessarily wake up with a hangover.

Maybe you are a bit tired, no problem, that is what working discipline is for and then the day wont be ruined.

In the end I am sure you know that alcohol is not so dangerous at all. French men have a 25% lower heart attack risk because of their daily intake of red wine. But it is the pure anxiety that you are taking a drug that it may make yourself loose control  and that it brings along immediate addiction. That is simply not true.    

I enjoy the moment and not always look into the future or think about the next morning. I have my faith too, and I definetly have a fresh shirt for the next morning.

And after a good breakfast the day looks just as bright as if you would have drunk apple juice only.

Wine is a good pain killer. I don't spend my whole paycheck or nothing on it. It's really sexy too. Plus its got flavor, like good flavor. I don't like beer flavor, its not like you'd purchase beer flavored chewing gum and enjoy it. That's why i drink wine. I like wine alot, its not that addictive its just useful.

'Beer is for breakfast'

- Douglas Couglin, Cocktail (1988)

C'mon people it's sometimes nice to get drunk. There's nothing wrong with that unless you tend to drink heavily many days in a row or daily to 'get yourself started'. Then you have a problem with it. In my opinion once or two times a month isn't that often and I don't mean such level of drinking where you com back home on '4 wheels'. What comes to hangovers they are parto of the picture if it's like sunday and you wouldn't have anything else to do anyways than watch TV and revive yourself with a greasy pizza...'

Quote[/b] ]There is a time for sports in the morning, even with a hangover

Hey that's dangerous crazy_o.gif One should never do sports in a hangover, you can develope heart problems with such physical activities if you have a bad hangover.

C'mon people it's sometimes nice to get drunk.

Sometimes, you mean always tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hey that's dangerous crazy_o.gif One should never do sports in a hangover, you can develope heart problems with such physical activities if you have a bad hangover.

Good thing you are telling me crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Good thing you are telling me

Yes it's quite true. One older chap I just happen know (not that he's a friend of mine or anything) developed some serious problems after he went jogging in a hangover. Heart doesn't that sort of strain very easily. Same thing if you go doing sports in a flu, that's really dangerous too...

An older friend of mine, who is 23 had to quit his career in martial arts due to going to practice one day with a bad hangover and a cold (the both were combined, as Swedish December nights get cold, even after lots of alcohol tounge_o.gif) Straining your body when sick/naucious is never a good thing.

Career in martial arts? Movies, instructor, or competitive fighting? I won't get drunk every night. Nor will i smoke everyday but ya'll can be sure I won't do anything addictive. I know that anything addictive can't be good for you.

I didn't really feel like replying here at first so i didn't... for some reason i now do feel like replying so i will biggrin_o.gif

First of all: cigarettes

I've smoked a couple cigarettes when i was VERY young... dunno why i did it, me and a friend just wanted to give it a try. It wasn't peer pressure or whatever you call it, well, at least not for me. I just wanted to try it... It was nothing special at all... I smoked like 5 cigarettes and then i stopped.

Then about 2 or 3 years ago i started smoking like 1 pack of cigarettes each 2 months or something like that. Eventually i started smoking more. I never smoked a lot, not like i smoked one pack of cigarettes each day...

I stopped smoking in March i think. So that's like 7 months ago. I now still smoke a couple cigarettes when i go to a party. I don't feel the need for nicotine at all, i just like to smoke a cigarette when i'm in a pub or on a party... Drinking a beer with a cigarette in your hand is just so relaxing. I never feel that famous urge for a cigarette so as far as i'm concerned i'm not addicted. Doesn't matter to me, i'm happy with my life the way it is.

Oh and sometimes i smoke in the weedends... wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Alcohol:

I don't have an alcohol addiction smile_o.gif

I drink alcohol when i go to parties, i like getting tipsy but not drunk. When i'm very tipsy i know exactly what i'm doing and i can still act serious if i really have to. However i still am drunk enough to act like a drunk bastard tounge_o.gif

Yeah i'm a partyyy animaaal!!!! smile_o.gif

No i'm a very nice boy when i'm tipsy. Don't cause any problems or anything like that. I once drank so much that i puked it all out, i don't remember a lot from that night. Just me standing on my bare feet in the mud puking while it was raining pretty damn hard.

Some of my friends enjoy drinking A LOOOOT but in the end they puke all over the place and for them the party is over after that.

I never drink that much... i fucking hate ppl who drink waaaaay too much.

So yes, i do drink and i do enjoy getting tipsy but i'm able to control it.

Stuff like baccardi breezer makes me puke, i fucking hate that lemonade crap wink_o.gif

Here in Belgium the legal drinking age is 16 years. However that doesn't really matter. In a lot of pubs (and stores) you can buy beer and harder stuff just like that.

However i don't see much alcohol abuse, sure there always are some morons who can't handle responsibility but that's exactly why they're morons. tounge_o.gif

Career in martial arts? Movies, instructor, or competitive fighting?

He participated in quite a few Thaiboxing championships, one in Thailand IIRC. And also came close to winning the Swedish title in Thaiboxing. He did work as an instructor aswell, and still does to a small extent. But no more competitions for him.

I smoked two packets of cigarettes a day for fifteen years since I was fifteen years old... sad_o.gif

Now I havent had a ciggies in 2 1/2 maniths smile_o.gif Easier than I thought it would be...

Cold turkey too...

Right on man smile_o.gif

I usually drink wine+mineral water (dont know how to say that drink in english, we call it "Špricer" [schpreecar] lol) or "bambus" (wine + cocacola). Thats cheap and makes u little tipsy after 1-1,5l...We drink that when WE have to pay, but on private parties we usually drink whiskey and other drinks with over 40% alcohol, cause its free biggrin_o.gif

Home grown shit & weed always present and ready for action every friday and saturday.

Oh, we only drink beer and on concerts, if its not posible to bring in wine wink_o.gif

Im trying not to get drunk too much but sometimes (in around 5% cases) im not succesful cause i simply fall in the action, and when im aware im usually already sleeping / puking on a toilete sad_o.gif ... I HATE THAT and I must stop doing this!i will...

Im trying not to get drunk too much  but sometimes (in around 5% cases) im not succesful cause i simply fall in the action, and when im aware im usually already sleeping / puking on a toilete sad_o.gif ... I HATE THAT and I must stop doing this!i will...

You get drunk by accident? smile_o.gif

Straaange tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Ah, the obligatory addictive substances thread. Whenever it rears its aching head (hungover, obviously;))hot disputes arise:)

No extreme is beneficial. Binging and abstinence are equally as harmful. The former makes you a bungling moron and the latter a moralistic tightass who feels obliged to express his disdain for those who drink at every occasion. I know because I've been both crazy_o.gif

Until my 15th, 16th year I was extremely wary of alcohol and sneered at my peers who got slaughtered drinking apple wine and similar 'economic' drinks. After my sixteenth birthday I discovered the fun part of alcohol and started drinking fairly excessively, to the point of not remembering what exactly had transpired the previous evening (this has resulted in quite humorous situations, I can tell you;)). Alcohol certainly lifts some barriers and I doubt the mini-orgies I have participated in would have come about had we all been completely sober tounge_o.gif

At a certain moment (18, 19) I grew weary of this pattern. My income also improved and I was able to afford better alcohol. I now only drink and smoke for the taste. Drinking hectolitres of whisky and smoking one cigar after another is simply a waste of good products and doesn't do them justice at all. Getting tipsy or drunk is only a byproduct, albeit quite a pleasant one. That's the way it's supposed to be.

Oh, and to all you holier-than-thou abstinents out there: do you actually think that pertinently refusing alcohol is discipline? It's not. It's fear, fear of what have you, god, parents, society, pleasure... True discipline is having these potentially dangerous substances at your disposal, within your reach, and not abusing them. That's exactly what Bernadotte was talking about: if you remove all cigarattes within a 1 km radius (so to speak;) it's an 'easy' victory. True discipline is to refuse something when accepting is actually an option.

Just to pre-emptively undermine the obvious accusation: I am not encouraging anyone to smoke, drink or whatever. I do however believe that bereaving oneself of an experience and consequently claiming the right to speak of this experience with authority reeks of arrogance.

edit: tenses and typo's

I once tried to stop eating winegums. It's a mission impossible.