Sign in to follow this  
colonel_klink

USAF Base Gateway

This has been on my hard drive since December 2002 and has gone through a variety of incarnations, tank class, building, back to tank etc etc. Now it is as a building, it is finished, but AI dont want to pass through the gateway.

Yes it has a path lod, roadway lod, memeory poits.. everything that a bridge has, but still the AI are shite scared of it and go round rather than follow the road through it.

I would release it as is, but I think it needs to be fixed properly first.

Suggestions welcome.

gate1.jpg

Has working gate, doors, lights, clock (thanks Bullz_eye_on_my_back for config and scripts) and air raid siren.

Dam clink what will u not do for this game hey ill take it without the ai goin thro it anywaysd i do mos t of tge drvining round here wink_o.gif but anyway great work

Looks nice so far. My only suggestion is to go through the whole model once again and make proper use of sharp shading wink_o.gif

How far out of the model do your paths extend?

Do the paths begin and terminate as a single vertex? (so the path expands as a triangle for about 3m, and then becomes a constant-width)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but there's something I have noticed when in game. if I select on unit in my group and point in the direction of the  gateway the reticule showing the name of the building doesnt show. The gateway is under class building, same as the Hanson Airbase sign, which incidently shows up if directing a unit to go to it or attack it. Weird science afoot here methinks smile_o.gif

Col, i'll just hazard a guess...

I noticed there is a barrier there.

1. )If the barrier is down, Ai will recognise it as a wall and will not walk thru unless the barrier is animated open.

2. ) You will need to name the barrier part in geometry LOD too, otherwise there will always be an invisible wall.

3. ) You will need a view geometry LOD of all the parts too.

4. ) AI use artifical intelligence and will use the path of least resistance, so unless u have long walls along both sides of the addon, it will select the easiest way. One way to counter that is to give the AI commands to move to the pos.

4. ) if in the config u give a side=x, the reticle will show up as a target of attack unit. Careful how u inherit the building type class..best is to inherit a sideless class building with no side=x in its config

Hope it helps.All the best!..( very high quality looking product by the way wink_o.gif )

Wow, what a grand entrance... Most RAF bases are just a a little side road with a gate complimented by a wet RAF police guard.

Hi Colonel_Klink,

A perfect looking addition to any military base but is it possible to make a more generic on as well eg.. without the references to an air base? In this way it would fit into settings like an embassy or other security instalation.

I have noticed the problem you are experiencing with the ai paths on some custom islands where my ai controlled units refuse to go through gateways etc. Maybe it is more of an OFP engine problem than the actual custom models.

Parker Hale

Would you consider making it use original BIS textures like the mapfact buildings?

since when does mapfacts use BIS textures? crazy_o.gif

the whole point of making a new building addon such as this, besides adding more atmosphere is to make the said object better then the BIS stuff. . .thats like buying a brand new car. . but having the paint job nothing more then primer and some rust. . . it defeats the entire point of making it brand new. .making it better then BIS

is the "sign" prepared for "setobjecttexture", or that maybe doesn't work on buildings.

is the "sign" prepared for "setobjecttexture", or that maybe doesn't work on buildings.

Unfortunately SetObjectTexture doesn't work on buildings, that is why I have set the sign up as a separate obect which will be up to the discretion of the user how it is ..er.. used.

Quote[/b] ]Would you consider making it use original BIS textures like the mapfact buildings?

Nup. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Col, i'll just hazard a guess...

I noticed there is a barrier there.

1. )If the barrier is down, Ai will recognise it as a wall and will not walk thru unless the barrier is animated open.

2. ) You will need to name the barrier part in geometry LOD too, otherwise there will always be an invisible wall.

3. ) You will need a view geometry LOD of all the parts too.

4. ) AI use artifical intelligence and will use the path of least resistance, so unless u have long walls along both sides of the addon, it will select the easiest way. One way to counter that is to give the AI commands to move to the pos.

4. ) if in the config u give a side=x, the reticle will show up as a target of attack unit. Careful how u inherit the building type class..best is to inherit a sideless class building with no side=x in its config

Thanks Philcommando:

1. Barrier is up.. still Ai hate it either way smile_o.gif

2. Barrier is a moving part in geo lod

3. Yep View geometry lod is there

4. True.. Ai would rather avoid it like the plague

4a. Have fixed it now. Made it Side=6, and class strategic

So it now works Klink rock.gif

I hope it works now looks damn good wink_o.gif

Also what happend to Embassy building you was working Klink rock.gif

Yes it has a path lod, roadway lod, memeory poits.. everything that a bridge has, but still the AI are shite scared of it and go round rather than follow the road through it.

sounds like it to me SWIFT88, biggrin_o.gif lol.

Looking good Klink, I hope you find a way around, not exactly like the AI its doing now... around crazy_o.gifghostface.gif

Regards.

@CERO.

Have you tried to make it work like a road, with road memory points (like the BIS roads)?

Would you consider making it use original BIS textures like the mapfact buildings?

since when does mapfacts use BIS textures?  crazy_o.gif

the whole point of making a new building addon such as this, besides adding more atmosphere is to make the said object better then the BIS stuff. . .thats like buying a brand new car. . but having the paint job nothing more then primer and some rust. . . it defeats the entire point of making it brand new. .making it better then BIS

mapfact does use BIS textures from time to time

they do so in order to reduce the filesize of some of their addons ...

not everything BIS made is crap, remember :;)

BIS textures may not be shiny and polished, but they are balanced and are helpful to reduce lag, especially with larger objects and islands

Ok.. addon has ai paths which works fine for foot soldiers but not vehicles.

Embassy is being worked on.. it is multi parts and I need a way of placing it on the map so that each part is in the correct place.

The gateway is in two parts.. gate and sign. I may break it down further when I figure a way of setting it up like the embassy above. In fact this could solve the problem as I have placed several buildings on either side of a road close up and the ai drove between them.

Tried the road memory points.. still no go.