Sign in to follow this  
colonel_klink

USAF Base Gateway

Klink....has the top sign ("United States Air Force") got any GeoLOD? If so....AI really don't like to walk/drive/whatever under GeoLOD componants. They will for some objects, in certain ways, but this sort of object I would make the GeoLOD as sparse as possible.

If all else fails, just email it to me and I'll have a look smile_o.gif

Would you consider making it use original BIS textures like the mapfact buildings?

since when does mapfacts use BIS textures?  crazy_o.gif

the whole point of making a new building addon such as this, besides adding more atmosphere is to make the said object better then the BIS stuff. . .thats like buying a brand new car. . but having the paint job nothing more then primer and some rust. . . it defeats the entire point of making it brand new. .making it better then BIS

mapfact does use BIS textures from time to time

they do so in order to reduce the filesize of some of their addons ...

not everything BIS made is crap, remember :;)

BIS textures may not be shiny and polished, but they are balanced and are helpful to reduce lag, especially with larger objects and islands

oh no i dindt mean to imply EVERYTHING they make is shit.

thier civi cars are nice.

thier pistols are nicely textured

they also did fine with interior textures of houses and vehicles.

but for right now thats all im willing to give credit for tounge_o.gif

Update.

@Leone

Removed the upper sign part of the lod, but ai stillacting like morons smile_o.gif

The good news is I have worked out a way of placing multipart building objects (yes experimented with my old embassy building) using memory points and the drop command. What this means is that I am going to dissect the gateway into 3 parts and place the parts as above. Now we'll see if the morons will drive through :0

Just wondering....would u happen to miss out the first path lod memory point - in1 -? I have experimented with the paths and it must always be in sequence,eg..in1, pos1, pos2, pos3, etc.........and cannot be in1, pos31,pos32,pos33,etc,-it will crash the comp.

Great work Colonel_Klink, shame your having such trouble with it.

Just out of interest, are we ever going to see a updated re-release of your damn cool radar bunker?

Great work Colonel_Klink, shame your having such trouble with it.

Just out of interest, are we ever going to see a updated re-release of your damn cool radar bunker?

Funny you should mention that.. smile_o.gif I've been thinking about updating that for a while now.

Quote[/b] ]Just wondering....would u happen to miss out the first path lod memory point - in1 -? I have experimented with the paths and it must always be in sequence,eg..in1, pos1, pos2, pos3, etc.........and cannot be in1, pos31,pos32,pos33,etc,-it will crash the comp.

Yep got them ok. The soldiers on foot use the gateway correctly but its the vehicles that create the problem. had a look at the kkb_gate which uses the fence lod, but when I tried that it didn't make any difference.

I have also broken the gateway into multiparts and even as individual addons used separately the vehicle ai go around it. This is damne puzzling, but I will not give up..

Hmm... I've been looking at the various bridges for OFP, and it seems that they have 4 "extra" points in their memory lod.

You could try adding them to your memory lod, as they seem to define the "drivable" area of the bridge (since AI vehicles will drive over, and not around the bridge)

The points are:

bridge.jpg

@Deadmeat: I think that are the same memory points as in the street models. Basically a bridge isn't anything else than a more complicated street.

@Deadmeat: I think that are the same memory points as in the street models. Basically a bridge isn't anything else than a more complicated street.

Indeed, just the bridge has all the other geometries and roadways in, so it seemed the "natural" place to start looking for things like that.

A while back I made a set of swing gates using the chain link fence as gates they opend and closed it looked ok but the vehicles wouldn't go through those either.

I spent along time trying many things but nothing worked.

I tried things like creating the gates a second or two after the game had started in the hope of fooling the AI into thinking they wern't there.

Just as a test I deleted the gates while the game was runing but they still refuse to pass, it's as if once the route is blocked it stays blocked they seem to remember.

I know this isn't what your trying to do but thought it may be worth saying.

I'ven not tried that. But you could be right as the kbb gates seem to have a simailar problem , but not all the time crazy_o.gif

BTTDB (Back to the Drawing Board)

I found the same problem with the kkb gate as well. Have you tried out the Mapfact military object gates as i have not tried them myself yet to see if they have solved the problem.

They have chain link and barrier gates.

Parker Hale

I also tried making them move using direct moves rather than paths that also failed so it looks like once an object is placed on the map it stores the info in memory.

It must be something to do witht the map, what may be needed is a way to flush the memory.

The only way thay I could get a vehicle through would have been to write some script to move it pixel by pixel or use the momentum thing.

I forget the names exactly as I don't have OFP installed right now.

But both ways would be a poor way to go and prone to errors.

I found the same problem with the kkb gate as well. Have you tried out the Mapfact military object gates as i have not tried them myself yet to see if they have solved the problem.

They have chain link and barrier gates.

Parker Hale

No not tried those.

Looking at other ways of getting around the problem.. it seems the ai see the building as an obstacle and avoid it, yet ai will work their way thru a town no problem weird crazy_o.gif