Sign in to follow this  
Laser

LSR Addons

I dont think that missile launcher(M20) is pretty handy.

I'd stick to the LAW and Carl Gustav for early '90s units, and Javelin/SMAW/AT-4 for modern units.

That M20 looks more like something mounted on a vehicle.

Lol, I remember seeing that in Commando, I was gonna ask on the forum if it was a real weapon or not, now I know.

You mean Soldner?

I also didn't believe this was exisiting.

But for sure... it would be nice to see a better looking LAW with some nice effects.

It was in the Schwarzenegger movie, "Commando", and the game, "Soldner."

It's really an old weapon, which I believe, never saw combat.

It was procurred as a replacement for the flamethrowers of WWII, and Korea, but was supposed to be safer for the user, and friendly troops. This was achieved by filling the warhead with a flamable incindiary mixture, which burst on impact.

Other warheads were proposed, like HEAT, and APERS. But the system was thought to be too large and bulky to be effective.

OK, guys, thanks for the info.

I'm considering making a new Carl Gustav, thanks to the links posted, but that might happen a bit later. Right now i'm working on M14 family, which would include M14 Aimpoint, M14 ACOG and M21 with ART sight (latter might be done in winter camo also; overall i plan to add winter camo to other sniper rifles). M21 is 95% done, thanks to DanAK47, and so is the Aimpoint variant.

I'll post some pics when i'll have something to show unit-wise.

But the system was thought to be too large and bulky to be effective.

I suppse it's not much larger or heavier than DRAGON or JAVELIN, right?

The Soviets did use similar things - in fact they still do.

Their new RPG flamethrower is called SHMEL' and it's extremely effective. So why shouldn't WESTern forces use something similar to that?

This "Arnold's best frined" shouldn't not be too hard to make becasueit's basically a box with some minor details.

The special "burning and smoking" effects on the other hand would be kind of hard to make.

Personally, I'd love to see that cool M220 thingy in OFP...

For one thing the M202, Dragon, and Javelin aren't being hauled by members of a fire team, they're attached to a weapons platoon. That means to the rear of a squad.

I previously mentioned the RPO-A, and also mentioned the modern US equivilent, the M72-NE LAW, and SMAW-NE. I know the M202A looked cool, but it was just a flamethrower. It fired up to four 66mm rockets filled with an incindiary slurry mixture. The effect was similar to a rocket with a napalm warhead. Certainly nasty, I'll grant you, but thermobaric/"fuel-air" warheads, like the Shmel, and LAW-NE/SMAW-NE are even deadlier- particularly in enclosed, confined spaces such as bunkers, buildings, and alleys. They have the ability to reach around corners to kill the enemy, collapse walls and ceilings, and set everything inside ablaze, including munitions. And the size, and weight of the SMAW, and LAW weapons are easier for a fire team to use up in front of the squad against fortifications, entrenchments, and troops behind cover, or in defilade. Thus, the US military is testing multiple thermobaric weapons on a fast track. The Pentagon wants this stuff in the field as soon as possible. These include, in addition to the above....

The M307 25mm OCSW, and M25 25mm airburst weapon with thermobaric shells.

The M8/M320 40mm GL with thermobaric grenades.

The MK47 AGL with high-velocity thermobaric grenades.

Thermobarics are thought to be highly effective in MOUT conflicts, and, considering the US military's need to enhance their MOUT capabilies, I'd expect any, and all of these to be in service quite soon.

AT "Dragon" weights 39 lbs.

And M220A1 "Flash" – only 15.3 lbs.

Now, consider the firepower of the M220A1 – you have FOUR incendiary rockets which you can fire one after another without any need to reload your weapon after each shot.

And then you can put in a new set of four missiles and fire again! A single rocket with a 20 meters indirect hit blast radius will quickly clear a wide path for your troops storming some EAST-controlled town.

I think I know why it has not been widely used in combat by the US Army – it was adopted by the military too late to be used in Vietnam, and other American wars were too… "gentlemanly" to allow soldiers use the "Flash" in combat – it's just too bloody effective… and inhumane. smile_o.gif

If Schwarzenegger used it, then it's an absolute must-have in OFP. (actually, in that movie Arnold used M220A1 with HEAT rounds) Also, don't forget that if you see the "FLASH" it's already too late! unclesam.gif

@Keller_777:

Well, i might consider making that M220 beauty, but that would happen only after the major part of my work will be done. I need someone to make up some "incendiary weapons" scripts for me, i'm no good scripter by any means, so someone willing to help please contact me. I'd like to make my pack as complete as possible.

Their new RPG flamethrower is called SHMEL' and it's extremely effective. So why shouldn't WESTern forces use something similar to that?

I was under the impression flame throwers were outlawed under the Geneva Convention?

I was under the impression flame throwers were outlawed under the Geneva Convention?

If I'm not mistaken, flamethrowers can be used against vehicles and buildings, etc.

Now, what if there are soldiers in said vehicles and buildings? Huh? Huh?

I dunno. rock.gif

I thought flame throwers were originally designed for use on buildings or bunkers, the fire burns up all the oxygen in the bunker even if the flames dont kill the occupants.

If I'm not mistaken, flamethrowers can be used against vehicles and buildings, etc.

Now, what if there are soldiers in said vehicles and buildings? Huh? Huh?

I dunno. rock.gif

first; the RPG "flamethrower" is not a flametrower. It's just a missile with an incendary charge (or something like that)

Flamtrowers are now indeed forbidden AFAIK, although Iraq has quite a lot of them during the first Gulf War (but they weere never able to use them).

Flametrowers are very usefull against bunkers indeed. Because the flame bounces of the wall, you can also reach places behind coners ect and it will indeed consume vital air.

But as said; the RPG "Flametrower" is not an actual flametrower. The US has no such weapon in it's arsenal and even the fuel and incendary bomb are no longer part of it's bombs-arsenal.

It would be very effective to have such a weapon though. Recent fighing in Iraq shows the US does not really have a very powerfull weapon for urban use like the RPG shmel discussed here. The SMAW is usefull, but not that usefull. But it must also be said that a marine and his rifle are still the deadliest weapon in CQB and that the type of combat does not really require the use of missiles like the RPG Shmel

Quote[/b] ]But as said; the RPG "Flametrower" is not an actual flametrower. The US has no such weapon in it's arsenal and even the fuel and incendary bomb are no longer part of it's bombs-arsenal.

Correction Napalm is still used in some situations and also SF uses incendary Grenades for destroying things from Computers to downed helicopters

please read up on your facts first thanks

Napalm has been removed from the US inventory for being inhumane. It's been removed from all armories and is in the process of being destroyed (Like our nerve gas stocks). Incendiary grenades are used for destruction of documents, basically like a big match.

Incendiary grenades are used for destruction of documents, basically like a big match.

Whoops I gorgot those. Those are indeed still in the arsenal, but they are indeed not used against soldiers. It's used to destroy a plane-wreck for example (or a bird during BHD). But they can also be used to destroy an atry-piece by trowing these things in the barrel smile_o.gif

But bascily it's harmless against soldiers

But bascily it's harmless against soldiers

White Phosphorous (that is used in "Incendiary" grenades) is NASTY stuff. It not only burns, but it sticks to your skin and clothes and just keeps burning.

Not nice against anything.

You beat me to the punch deadmeat. Though It isn't used much against people. It's primary purpose is for marking targets or burning steel as sabotage.

Quote[/b] ]burning steel as sabotage.

..That's not a job for which you'd use WP - you need a thermite grenade.  I had 2 next to my seat in 1991, for use in our Chinook should we have ended up somewhere terminally unpleasant.  One for the forward transmission above the cockpit, the other by the APU aft of the combining transmission.

After a quick Google image search, I found this picture of a thermite grenade doing its stuff on an old forklift:

g25.jpg

...as you can see, a lot safer to be around (for the user) than a WP grenade.

wow.. i'm excited to see new weapons coming from laser. Im also glad to see some new M-60s... OFP has needed one of Lasers quality for some time now.

Since i play mainly cold war era missions i would totally want to see a M-220 Flash included, also if you are doing a new Carl Gustav, how about a M-67 90mm recoilless rifle? the Rangers used them into the '90s. Or maybe one of the older M-249s with the metal stock?

Now, ppl... i guess i owe the community some screenies now. OK, here's one pretty basic shot, the unit on the pic is definitely subject to change in details though...

ranger_new.JPG

And you can see bits and pieces of a new M21 in there smile_o.gif

his face looks a bit as if that guy has wrong propartions, at least i think so, but the rest is really fine

Now, ppl... i guess i owe the community some screenies now. OK, here's one pretty basic shot, the unit on the pic is definitely subject to change in details though...

[im]http://lazarus.hotmail.ru/ranger_new.JPG[/img]

And you can see bits and pieces of a new M21 in there smile_o.gif

dam

good work laser

good dam work!!!!!!!!!!