Sign in to follow this  
bugkill

VBS addons for OPF? Sound off.....

I think the ORCS/Laser recent Russian addons look to be about VBS quality IMO.

It's not like people arent making good addons already.

I found THESE on EDonkey which claim to be VBS1 USMC, I haven't seen them before, the legs seem thinner. The only official pic I can compare it to is THIS one.

The marines in the first picture look like E&S marines that were reskinned to have woodland camo instead of MARPAT.

ok, no more mentioning of possible importing of vbs addons crazy_o.gif we are talking about creating new addons for opf:r, that are of the same quality of the vbs addons. there is no conversion, just modders from this community recreating them for opf:r. please read the full thread before posting. biggrin_o.gif

I did read the thread and you started it by mentioning VBS1:

Quote[/b] ]i'm just speaking out, because i see all these juicy screenshots from vbs1 and it seems to me that the product is being promoted towards our community, but we are not being offered a community price for the product.

edit

Anyway, I am obviously all for high quality addons for Flashpoint.

I don't know if it's just a setting I have turned to "low" somewhere or something with DXDLL, but the textures seem to be the real difference.

I found THESE on EDonkey which claim to be VBS1 USMC, I haven't seen them before, the legs seem thinner. The only official pic I can compare it to is THIS one.

The marines in the first picture look like E&S marines that were reskinned to have woodland camo instead of MARPAT.

S&E marines are much bulkier..

what about the VBS shed and VBS watertower that was imported awhile back? used on a couple islands.

the conversion is possible. the problem is BIS will sue you for making OFP better. BIS strives for our displeasure to be maximum crazy_o.gif BAS quit cuz they were sued for making addons too good tounge_o.gif

the problem is VBS is for rich people. and rich people are rich cuz they enjoy watching normal ppl "suffer" with what they dont have. which is exactly why you will NEVER see VBS soldier models/textures in OFP cuz rich ppl have it and sit back and laugh at us cuz they know that normal human beings arent able to pull $500 out of our asses for a game that i see NO differnce in.

the only differnce in VBS is this:

* better models and textures (which we can, and have done)

* animals (been there done that)

* better looking island(s) textures. (keep in mind for promo screenshots settings are turned ultra-unplayable-high for dramitic effect)

im, for some reason or other, missing the point of paying $500 for OFP 1.99 (which is all VBS really is) rock.gif

do i want to see VBS addons for OFP? i suppose. the only gain you would get is better looking textures for the models.

and of course by making the models look better with VBS textures you would owe BIS about $1.5 Billion for using thier textures which dont belong to them but rather belong to the leet hidden society of OFP modders that have secretly joined the dark side to get a free copy of VBS for thier submited work. (sellouts tounge_o.gif )

thats my story and im sticking to it. smile_o.gif

k, Im 14, and All I have to say is that I dont have the money to afford VBS1. I dont now, and I prolly wont for a long time. Okay, maybe it is a military simulator but it seems we're paying Å50 extra becuase it says its used by the USMC/ADF/Whoever the fuck wants it. Weve been pulled into celebrity endorsement, but on a different level

If you guys don't want it, great.

BIS don't want you to buy it.

Just please stop with the wailing and the gnashing of teeth.

It's sad to watch.

I dont need ADF and DF stuff, we already have some and they are good enough for me, i would like to have better west and especialy east armor and some new russian helicopters, jeeps and trucks smile_o.gif .

From VBS i would like to have animals, marine helicopters and vehicals and some ME militia or soldiers. Doesnt need to look that good has i like to be able to place many units in a map without performance degradation. These i would like to have in OPF smile_o.gif .

Guest major gandhi

it's senseless talking about to try making own units with the same quality of vbs's ones. it's the full-time job of BIA's employees to do this addons. they are all professionals and they work together in a team. private ofp modders will never be as good as them (except as persons like for instance marfy or some others who now may have turned to vbs1)

raven,

i started this thread not to discuss importing vbs addons. i've stated that we should explore looking into making new versions for opf ourselves. so, for the last time, no more talk about importing addons from vbs wink_o.gif  we must create our own and it is as simple as that. now, back to throwing out some ideas for new addons.

my bad

crazy_o.gif

blues.gif

Quote[/b] ]Okay, maybe it is a military simulator but it seems we're paying Å50 extra becuase it says its used by the USMC/ADF/Whoever the fuck wants it.

You're paying extra because it was designed for the USMC.

Quote[/b] ]the problem is BIS will sue you for making OFP better.

No, BIS will sue you for taking data from VBS and illegally distributing it for free for OFP. If you walked into a computer store and snitched a couple parts to improve your system, you are stealing, not just "making your computer better".

Quote[/b] ]the problem is VBS is for rich people.

No, it's for government organizations. Hummer H1s are massively expensive because they are designed for the military. They're still available on the civilian market, and can be purchased by rich people, but that doesn't mean that Hummer H1s are designed/priced for rich people. They are designed for soldiers who have a government which will pay for their expenses.

Quote[/b] ]and rich people are rich cuz they enjoy watching normal ppl "suffer" with what they dont have.

What is this, a head-on collision between Barney's intelligence and Joseph Stalin's philosophies? Rich people are rich because they have lots of money, which they (Or a relative from another generation) worked hard to accumulate. It's absurd to say that rich people are automatically cold-blooded sadists who only buy things to annoy other people. They buy more expensive things because they have the financial power to do so and want these things. And even if you insist on looking at the oddball vicious ones, you'll notice that their spending habits create jobs and spread wealth. Imagine how many jobs are created/maintained by the building of yachts and 20,000 square foot houses. Not only the people who assemble them, but also the people who work for the companies that round up the materials for the construction workers.

And if you're suggesting that being sadistic is a sure way to gain money, then I'll break out my whip.

Quote[/b] ]which is exactly why you will NEVER see VBS soldier models/textures in OFP cuz rich ppl have it and sit back and laugh at us cuz they know that normal human beings arent able to pull $500 out of our asses for a game that i see NO differnce in.

No, you won't see VBS soldier models/textures in OFP because distributing priced data for free is a crime. Wow, what a simple concept wow_o.gif !

Quote[/b] ]the only differnce in VBS is this:

* better models and textures (which we can, and have done)

* animals (been there done that)

* better looking island(s) textures. (keep in mind for promo screenshots settings are turned ultra-unplayable-high for dramitic effect)

Plus the following:

* Many new commands for mission-makers.

* More sophisticated animals. Yes OFP has animals, but the VBS animals appear more detailed and reportedly have much more realistic behaviour (So they can have more of a role than just window dressing).

* Complete config compatibility between the addon packs. This is very important. Since OFP has many different configgers, we have many different config standards, which makes many addons mix poorly. Witness the Terminator armor of some ORCS soldiers, or the odd recoil comparisons of using any addons in FDF (A single FDF Walther round has more recoil than a 100 round C8X SAW blast). In VBS, everything has been done to one standard, so all of the addons will mix together without the appearance of odd effects.

* Complete graphics compatibility. All of the VBS addons look good sitting next to each other. Due to the different artistic styles of OFP's addon-making community, some addons look odd when placed together on the battlefield. For instance, DKM textures have always looked a little more cartoonish than RHS textures. Doesn't make one better than the other, but it can look strange for more visually-oriented players.

* Really nice community-made addons.

* Free high-quality addons from Seventh.

VBS Core: $150

VBS Addons: $400

No more whiny "VBS is a wicked conspiracy" people in your forum: Priceless

Please people, I thought this thread was about custom making addons to equal or match the VBS addons, and NOT to discuss VBS itself crazy_o.gif

So can we get back on track?

I think it'd be good if there was a mod team established and it was about "matching/recreating" the VBS addons. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think it'd be good if there was a mod team established and it was about "matching/recreating" the VBS addons.

Why not just stick with mods like Y2K3? It's good, can be improved by the community, and it doesn't require establishing a team of full-time, ultra-talented modders. While the OFP community has modders who can produce stuff at VBS quality, I don't believe that it has enough to reproduce the amount of stuff in VBS before OFP2 comes out tounge_o.gif .

No I'm talking, find out what exact model there is in VBS, and duplicate it, and release it as like "USMC pack - Infantry" etc., basically bringing the VBS to OFP without taking their models/textures, instead, making our own.

Why not surrpass it aslong as your puting that much into it?

Texture artist is my weakness. Though thats slowly being

worked out. Ops9 was suppoed to MSN me about some

things we should scratch build but he never got around to it

I guess.  sad_o.gif

And who would run this team? Think about it, most of the top modellers and texturers are in indirect competition with each other, getting them all to work to one agenda.....well.....good luck i'd say, its going to be a nice massive power struggle tounge_o.gif

I'd say the current state of play is good.....addons get better and better all the time, we don't need to assemble some massive team to chase VBS1 when those addon makers are doing great stuff anyway smile_o.gif , and whats more, of greater variety.

Drill Sergeant....tsk well we know about you and your love for high polies tounge_o.gif

we don't need to assemble some massive team to chase VBS1 when those addon makers are doing great stuff anyway  smile_o.gif , and whats more, of greater variety.

Drill Sergeant....tsk well we know about you and your love for high polies  tounge_o.gif

Me, a texture artist and a scripter, I doubt anyone would

miss just 3 people. :P

Hopefully my woodland seal addon will kick any VBS1 crap

out of the water. It still wouldn't hurt you people to put a little more detail on your models. Just look at the VSB1 stuff

odels of detail.

Quote[/b] ]Me, a texture artist and a scripter, I doubt anyone would

miss just 3 people. :P

Hopefully my woodland seal addon will kick any VBS1 crap

out of the water.

Getting a lil bit offtopic are we?

Can't we stay ON topic? And think about this?

Wouldn't it stop all the bickering about VBS, 'cause we'd have all their addons.. But they'd all be made by us?

I think it's a good idea.

Maybe someone shouldve helped out NZXShadows when they had the chance seeing how the USMC mod was making tons of the stuff that you can get in VBS. And the reason stuff in VBS is more detailed (or so I hear) is because the engine was slightly improoved to run with better details (dont know if thats true or not).

Wow, I completely forgot that he told me about that. I don't know how either. Well originally no one was helping him. Had people helped him out a few months ago when he wanted it half the stuff would've been in the game already.

--------------------------------------------------------

Anyways my thoughts on all of this. The community is split up into two groups.

1.) Those who want detail. People who want units to be (really)high poly and really good textures so that they look perfect but you can't have as many on a map (on most computers like mine)

2.) Those who want to have large number of units. People who want to have Battalion size battles on islands with huge numbers of units.

Most people who want the VBS stuff are in the first group.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don't even know why I just said this but I think ill post it anyway might explain a few things for people. Took all that time to type it anyway.

Haven't read this whole thread, so sorry if this has been said already.

Why does everyone seem to think that what is 'special' about VBS is the models used?!? Excuse me, but there are GILLIONS of addons available for OFP, so I don't see what VBS could have in terms of models that isn't already in OFP.

However, what makes VBS better than OFP are the core engine changes--NOT the models used in the units. There are tons of new scripting commands available too, such as writing to files and loading things from them. Those are the features that make VBS better than OFP, and there is no way that you can "make your own VBS" just by making some models.

Sorry for the rant, but this whole thing really confuses me. However, it isn't surprising, considering how the OFP community seems more interested in eye-candy (new addons that make good screenshots) than they are in gameplay (new scripts and missions).