Sign in to follow this  
bugkill

VBS addons for OPF? Sound off.....

after hearing the news of ofp2 being pushed back until 2006, i am asking that some of our talented modders create some addons that are like the ones being used for vbs1. i know that vbs1 is no means a "game", but i think that the units and other addons would be cool in opf:r. some of you will not like this idea, but please respect everyone's opinion and let's have a friendly debate about this issue. i'm just speaking out, because i see all these juicy screenshots from vbs1 and it seems to me that the product is being promoted towards our community, but we are not being offered a community price for the product. i know that it is not a "game", but instead it is a sim (which is what i prefer). the price is too high for me to get something that is close to what i have already and i just as soon ask the community to upgrade opf:r ourselves. so, who is willing to accept the chance to take opf:r to a higher level and put out some high quality units for our game that costs us only $30.00? blues.gif

i think one of the next tales of war releases (SFOD-D Jungle Operator) will be for vbs1/ofp rock.gif

dunno for sure, someone posted that in our comments

What i"m interested in is the Voice.pbo that was trimmed for vbs1. I noticed that the ai reacts faster w/o the voice file but I only want to remove some of the files, not all of them. Is it possible for a VBS Voice.pbo to be distributed? I'm not sure if there is anything special about the file other than that it has fewer verbal commands

lookin' good shadows biggrin_o.gif alright, let's keep the opinions and brainstormin' comin', so we can get opf up and running again. shadows, where will you release those addons you have posted?

lookin' good shadows biggrin_o.gif  alright, let's keep the opinions and brainstormin' comin', so we can get opf up and running again. shadows, where will you release those addons you have posted?

soon as i get the interior done and some stuff worked out.I will either post it on the USMC Mod site,Or on the new Mod team site Im with.

The most interesting thing in VBS1 is the "updated OFP engine".

I would like to ask some VBS1 owner, how is the performance with modern hardware?

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

I think we need to keep the game 2 sided with good units for west and also east, VBS seems mostly one sided with great stuff for west and very little goodies for east/opfor, wathever... im almost satisfied with the amount of units for west in OPF, would be nice to see some more East russian helicopters and new mi17 and hind ones and other equipment.

We could use some animals too smile_o.gif .

what about taking stuff from vbs one and importing it to use with ofp:R? i know it sounds illegal, or against some kinda violation code of some sort. i dunno, its just what i heard. whats the legality or technical possibiltiy of doing it?

well actaully i wouldnt think anyone would do this

including me

see it this way

all the peeps who spend thier money for vbs (quite much)

should give it to others for free?( id be crazy then .....)

i dont think so

on the other side technically soem things arent possible

liek the harrier

ye vbs reunn really good

even better then ofp:res

even though it has higher requirements

what about taking stuff from vbs one and importing it to use with ofp:R? i know it sounds illegal, or against some kinda violation code of some sort. i dunno, its just what i heard. whats the legality or technical possibiltiy of doing it?

Not possible, believe me.

wait a minute, we should not be talking about trying to "import" addons from vbs. we should be talking about creating more addons for opf that are similar to the new units and new vehicles for vbs. my opinion is that we don't have to shell out $500 for something that our communtiy can create for themselves. yes, i want someone to re-create a version of those special operations forces from vbs. yes, i want a version of those HALO troopers (except the HALO equipment should be used by any unit within the game, not just the aussies), they are high quality units and they would be fantastic for opf. why did'nt BIS release those units to us? not my issue. i just know that we got top notch talent out there who can make it happen.

http://files.ogn.com.au/ftp2/vbs1/VBS1images/SF/VBS1SF-2.jpg

http://files.ogn.com.au/ftp2/vbs1/VBS1images/newaddons/VBSDF1.jpg

edit: please do not link images over 100kb!

Not possible, believe me.

Are you sure?  rock.gif

I found THESE on EDonkey which claim to be VBS1 USMC, I haven't seen them before, the legs seem thinner. The only official pic I can compare it to is THIS one.

Cap.

Legaly they would sue your ass off, and if someone finds VBS material released out there it wont take 10 minuts for BIS to become aware of it and take action so you shouldnt even worry about the technical possibility smile_o.gif .

What we need is a full 1985 CWC full conversion with better..everything and a new Campaign and some new aditions, a graphicaly updated OPF would be good enough for me until OPF2 comes out smile_o.gif .

Well, if you think of it, woudn't it make more sense just to base addons of real-life and leave the legal aspect of VBS1 conversion alone? I think that using the VBS addons as a "inspiration" wouldn't hurt either as long as the modders create their own work.

What we need is a full 1985 CWC full conversion with better..everything and a new Campaign and some new aditions, a graphicaly updated OPF would be good enough for me until OPF2 comes out smile_o.gif .

always surprises me how few people know the Y2K3 Total Conversion Mod

always surprises me how few people know the Y2K3 Total Conversion Mod

I meant a acurate 1985 conversion that would replace every single unit with a high quality one but from the same time frame, Islands and buildings to weapons, animations, faces and vehicals.

Many user made addons just dont blend in well with eachother for diferent reasons smile_o.gif .

I would definetly buy a optimised all new OPF with all units replaced by new ones than i would buy VBS smile_o.gif .

i would like to see a unit created called "HALO Operator", it would basically be a uniform addon (helmet, altimeter, and chute) that could be used on any unit performing high altitude freefall operations. once you land, you have the option of discarding the uniform and carrying out your mission. could be really needed when making missions or movies. could use them in ofp.

http://files.ogn.com.au/ftp2/vbs1/VBS1images/ADF/VBS1ADF-2.jpg

edit: please no image over 100kb.

its a old version that illigaly was leaked

sad_o.gif

any who... the VBS addons wont be released for OFP not directly.. after small conversions they might be. Bare in mind that the official ones wont be converted for OFP

blues.gif

raven,

i started this thread not to discuss importing vbs addons. i've stated that we should explore looking into making new versions for opf ourselves. so, for the last time, no more talk about importing addons from vbs wink_o.gif we must create our own and it is as simple as that. now, back to throwing out some ideas for new addons.

The only official pic I can compare it to is THIS one.

Cap.

Woh! Their trousers even have seams! Wohhh!!! Now that is attention to detail, you can see the join of the material.

OK so BIS are great at making the game etc but surely there are more addon makers out there than BIS have working for them, so couldn't we all make something really good too? Know where I'm coming from?

I think that using the VBS addons as a "inspiration" wouldn't hurt either as long as the modders create their own work.

yes. however, attempts to import VBS models to OFP will not be discussed here.

I don't understand the need for mentioning "VBS1" in this discussion.

Aside from those leaked Core units you are not going to be getting VBS1 units in OFP:R, because they are encrypted.

If you want to make very high quality addons that include the things VBS1 modules include then great.

Don't see what that has to do with VBS1, though.

ok, no more mentioning of possible importing of vbs addons crazy_o.gif we are talking about creating new addons for opf:r, that are of the same quality of the vbs addons. there is no conversion, just modders from this community recreating them for opf:r. please read the full thread before posting. biggrin_o.gif