Sign in to follow this  
Footmunch

Hunt the intruder - out-flank him

Remember people the F-14's can only up to 13,000 pounds of Armaments.

Air-to-Air Missiles (up to)

6 AIM-7 Sparrows (@500 lbs.) (Air-to-air guided missile range @30 nm)

4 AIM-9 Sidewinder (190 lbs.) (Air-to-air missile range @10 to 18 miles depending on altitude)

6 AIM-54 Phoenix (1000 lbs.+) (Long-range air-launched air intercept missile range <100 nautical miles (115 statute miles, 184 km))

air-to-ground ordnance

MK-82 (500 lbs.)

4 MK-83 (1,000 lbs.)

4 MK-84 (2,000 lbs.)

MK-20 cluster bomb ( @ 350 lbs.)

4 GBU-10 LGB ( @2562 lbs.)

GBU-12 MK-82 LGB (800 lbs.)

4 GBU-16 MK-83 LGB  (@1,000 lbs.)

4 GBU-24 MK-84 LGB (@ 2,000 lbs.)

Fixed

one MK-61A1 Vulcan 20mm cannon

There maybe a few items I've missed that the F-14 officially carried.

Oh and almost forgot, the undernose camera was used to guide the guided AA missiles.

DragoFire

does anyone have the latest links for Footmunch's F-15's?

i think the latest one had both versions

Just came out of a dog fight with SFM's flanker, the usual evasion manuevere of a.i. is to fly around in circles, this produces altitude gain and dramatic speed loss wich is why i think the standard speed and power for jets in OPF should be much higher and manueverability should be a priority, its not for going across the island in 2 seconds wink_o.gif .

Trying to engage the SFM flanker with the F14 was funny has the flanker was doing circles around me, sometimes i had him head to head at 300m, other times when i tried to sneak in from behind he would just disapear making me feel like i was flying a paper plane, i kept pressing "E" to no avail has the F14 took its time to reach a reasonable speed only to loose it all right away with a minor turn...

Reverting the situation gave me a much better time, chassing the F14 was relatively easyer and getting really close to him made the a.i. pull some cool stunts like side rolls and stuff, it was quite impressive and unexpected.

Conclusion taken is...for OPF air to air combat to be enjoyable, manueverability, power and speed are very important, otherwise all the cool jets will only be usefull for air to ground engagements wich would be a shame, bring more use to the pretty jets is what i would like, thanks again to the author of these impressive looking jets smile_o.gif .

I actually disagree about the speed issue. There are plenty of slow planes in OFP that DO NOT lose much speed in turns. The DKM Bronco is a prime example. Ditto for Footmunch's A-1 Skyraider. It has to do more with the geometry settings of the aircraft and .cpp settings and stuff. It's quite difficult making planes in OFP that fly really well. Probably the best ever was that little 007 jet plane that Martin made awhile back. That thing was incredibly maneuverable.

If you want speed, like in real life, all that is needed is an afterburner. This is done by just sticking an afterburner script on the plane and then using it if you find yourself losing too much airspeed.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Heatseeker

Mistake one was using another addonmakers addon against another and expsecting the to be compatable was your first mistake.

SFM and ORCS mod always overpower thier addons making they nearly imcompatable with anything else. Or you forget RPG-7 that can kill M1s with one shot like as if hit by a 500 lb bomb.

Tomcat v0.99 (Final beta) - Zip File - http://www.footmunch.org.uk/beta/rkttomcat.zip

Now has three versions -

F-14A - 'Early' paint scheme - A2A:

tc_14a1.jpg

F-14B - Low-vis grey modern paint scheme - A2A:

tc_bs.jpg

(Image edited slightly)

F-14D - Low-vis grey modern paint scheme - A2G - Bombcat:

tc_bc1.jpg

Still gotta fix the gear to make it carrier-capable and add the

eject system.

And, to allow you to re-create the US vs Libya action:

MiG-23/27 - New versions - Zip Files:

http://www.footmunch.org.uk/beta/rktmig23.zip

http://www.footmunch.org.uk/beta/rktmig27.zip

MiG-23 (A2A) in simple two-tone grey:

23_1.jpg

23_2.jpg

From left to right:

23_3.jpg

-23 in Green/Brown/Grey pattern.

-27 in 'Snake' pattern.

-27 in Blue/Grey pattern.

-23 in 'Desert' pattern.

Improvements - model and mapping, cockpit, weapon textures,

smoke trail added, new afterburner script (action-activated),

auto-numbering, shine effects. Basically, everything  wink_o.gif

Your the man Footmunch , Excellent work i'd been wanting a simple tone Mig-23 for sometime now , your previous versions were a bit too colourful for my liking biggrin_o.gif

Did some simple testing here: on the extreme NW corner of the desert island map, I placed an F14, facing SE. On the extreme SE corner of the map, I placed a MIG27, facing NW. Both of them set up as FLYING, of course.

I set the INIT field of both to:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setbehaviour "combat"; this setCombatMode "RED"

They rarely met or found each other. I tried playing both.

Then I substituted the MIG for the SFM SU27. They always managed to find each other, though the SU27 sometimes came in from the most unusual angles, when controlled by the AI.

Anything to explain this? rock.gif

In the missile launchs against one another, between the F14 and the SU27, I was always able to down the opponent. But it was always easier to down the F14 than to down the Su27. And when the SU27 let off countermeasures, it sure messed up my radar screen.

Are any CMs built into the F14s and MIGs? rock.gif

Did some simple testing here: on the extreme NW corner of the desert island map, I placed an F14, facing SE. On the extreme SE corner of the map, I placed a MIG27, facing NW. Both of them set up as FLYING, of course.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setbehaviour "combat"; this setCombatMode "RED"

The MiG-27 doesn't have any air-to-air missiles (just the

gun). Try again with the -23? Which F-14 version?

Quote[/b] ]

Then I substituted the MIG for the SFM SU27. They always managed to find each other, though the SU27 sometimes came in from the most unusual angles, when controlled by the AI.

The Su-27 _is_ an A2A bird, so it _should_ attempt to

intercept more agressively. The SFM Flanker has a very

powerful (long range) radar.

Quote[/b] ]

In the missile launchs against one another, between the F14 and the SU27, I was always able to down the opponent. But it was always easier to down the F14 than to down the Su27.

The -27 does have more 'modern' missiles. The Sparrow's on

the Tomcat are good, but not great. SFM's missiles are _very_

good (perhaps a bit too much?)

Quote[/b] ]

And when the SU27 let off countermeasures, it sure messed up my radar screen.

Yep. They should fire automatically when an incoming missile

is detected. Are you getting the RWR warning sound? If so,

then a few seconds later there should be some flares popped,

and the missile spoofing script runs.

There is a chance that the missile is _not_ spoofed, which is

varied from plane to plane in an attempt to balance them

slightly. I could expose this variable, to allow mission makers

more 'latitude'?

Hopefully, a lot of these balance issues will be resolved once

ACES gets going...

The MiG-27 doesn't have any air-to-air missiles (just the

gun). Try again with the -23?

OK.

Quote[/b] ]Which F-14 version?

B.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Then I substituted the MIG for the SFM SU27. They always managed to find each other, though the SU27 sometimes came in from the most unusual angles, when controlled by the AI.

The Su-27 _is_ an A2A bird, so it _should_ attempt to

intercept more agressively. The SFM Flanker has a very

powerful (long range) radar.

Is SFM's radar range more realistic? I mean I assume that the range is even greater in real life. In which case maybe your plane's radar range should be upped as well. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]In the missile launchs against one another, between the F14 and the SU27, I was always able to down the opponent. But it was always easier to down the F14 than to down the Su27.

The -27 does have more 'modern' missiles. The Sparrow's on

the Tomcat are good, but not great. SFM's missiles are _very_

good (perhaps a bit too much?)

Could be but it never downed me when I was in the F14B.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]And when the SU27 let off countermeasures, it sure messed up my radar screen.

Yep. They should fire automatically when an incoming missile

is detected. Are you getting the RWR warning sound? If so,

then a few seconds later there should be some flares popped,

and the missile spoofing script runs.

Not sure. I'll check.

Quote[/b] ]There is a chance that the missile is _not_ spoofed, which is varied from plane to plane in an attempt to balance them slightly. I could expose this variable, to allow mission makers more 'latitude'?

What do you mean by "varied from plane to plane"?

Quote[/b] ]

Hopefully, a lot of these balance issues will be resolved once

ACES gets going...

One more question and again I'm comparing against SFM's Su27.

I'm a lousy pilot but I find flying the SU27 a breeze. Not so most other OFP plane addons.

I found the SU27 easier to handle that the F14 and MIG. Why is that? Surely there's some settings that can be analyzed from the SU27's configuration that can improve other plane addons just as well, no? FYI, I fly by mouse. biggrin_o.gif

Is SFM's radar range more realistic? I mean I assume that the range is even greater in real life. In which case maybe your plane's radar range should be upped as well.

I'll increase the Tomcat 'AIR' radar range. I think it might be

a bit low at the moment. Thanks.

Quote[/b] ]
There is a chance that the missile is _not_ spoofed, which is varied from plane to plane in an attempt to balance them slightly. I could expose this variable, to allow mission makers more 'latitude'?

What do you mean by "varied from plane to plane"?

The missile spoofing works 'better' on the F-14 than on the

MiG-23. There's an X% chance that the missile-deflection

script runs for each incoming missile - for the Tomcat, X is

about 70, for the Flogger, X is 45, or so. As I said, I could

make this an adjustable parameter on each plane instance.

Note that you can 'outfly' the missile, even when the

missile deflection script doesn't 'fire'.

Quote[/b] ]

One more question and again I'm comparing against SFM's Su27.

I'm a lousy pilot but I find flying the SU27 a breeze. Not so most other OFP plane addons.

I found the SU27 easier to handle that the F14 and MIG. Why is that? Surely there's some settings that can be analyzed from the SU27's configuration that can improve other plane addons just as well, no? FYI, I fly by mouse. biggrin_o.gif

Ahhh, there's the rub. While I do try to fly by mouse now

and again, I'm sorry to say that my addons are really

tailored to joystick flight. Someone suggested separate

Joy & Mouse addons, but that's a bad solution, IMHO.

I'll take a look at the SFM flight model - it's not just the

config parameters, but has to do with the mass and the

moment of inertia of the geometry as well. That means it's

hard to apply any changes to ODOL releases, of course.

Thanx! Very good work!!!

Edit: Is it possible to use your roundels on the MIGs and maybe on the Tomcats?

Very cool planes!!! blues.gif

The MiG's are roundel-capable, but if it's not specified, they

'default' to the USSR. Get the roundel pack and:

this setobjecttexture[0, "/rktroundels/r_egypt"]

as usual.

The Tomcat _isn't_ roundel-capable - the only other people

to get the F-14 were the Iranians: do we want an Iranian

version of the 14A? Maybe for Res side?

Iranians still have their F-14's in working condition ... only problem in OFP would be we dont have anyother Iranian unit to play this with crazy_o.gif

Heatseeker

Mistake one was using another addonmakers addon against another and expsecting the to be compatable was your first mistake.  

SFM and ORCS mod always overpower thier addons making they nearly imcompatable with anything else.    Or you forget RPG-7 that can kill M1s with one shot like as if hit by a 500 lb bomb.

No mistake, what i meant is that the speed and power of the SFM flanker make it the most enjoyable (handling wise) jet in OPF for me, i dont find it overpowered, i do believe other jets are underpowered and the speed values in that jet could be standard has they are very well done and even seem to improve on OPF's flight physics, it wasnt meant to compare them like that, i just feel that if other jets would handle like that one OPF's dog fighting would be much better, theres nothing wrong about diferent addon teams/makers cooperating with eachother in order to build compatible and realistic, enjoyable addons smile_o.gif .

And its not just a speed thing, i can slow it down to very slow speeds and it wont give that feel of engine failure or power loss, it stays up there and i can do siderolls at low altitude and speed with it rock.gif .

I hope Footmunch wont take ofence by these coments, his jets are awsome really and i only meant to be constructive in my observations smile_o.gif .

drawback, is SFM and a number of the eastblock addon teams tend to enjoy having their own thing, seldom ever cooperate with anyone. To be honest the SFM Flanker was made by somebody else, Manfred, and released under their name. Kinda like Sigma6 armor under RHS. The SFM Flanker is too over the top for my tastes only thing that can really play against it is the FY-22 and the Fa-18.

Footmunch's SU-27 is far better balanced against his F14, "The F-14 is a huge aircraft it never had instant take off under full throttle. The f-14 is the size of a schoolbus well larger, verses a flanker which actually surpasses an F16/F-18 in handling. If an F-14 off the line was able to match a SU27 it be wrong. Period F4 and F14s come from the old schoool put big enough engines on it it will fly mentality.

At least Footmunch better balances his aircraft to bis standard, it be a major mistake, going to try and match everything to SFM Flanker. OFP is not a flight sim, I can take his planes and go against stock bis planes and even Seademon's Deisel and VIt's

addons and have a good run about.

Maybe you should just modify the F14 addon pilfer the setting s out of the SU27 if you really need to match the brids settings rather than demand Footmuch do it just for you?

A real jet you drop below certain speeds it should drop like a rock, you can't produce lift without thrust.

Like jumping from the C141, they have to slow down so you can leap out, and not be ripped apart by the jet wash, not so slow you stall. The jet swings side to side, and the wings flex and flap so much you swear they are going to come off. I know some of the jet jocks here at DM give Footmunch's planes a work out.

Very few of the moan like you have and all say the SFM Flanker is overrated. With the OFP engine limitations.

I enjoy the handling chractistics of all of footmunch's planes. If the axis point was better centered on his flanker I be estatic, But all the planes in OF have that problem.

Thats caused by the plane being set on the guideline in O2 when its made usually on the lowered landing gear. Which causes rolls to be diffcult unless you tweak your view to match it. This makes the planes centerpoint several feet under the aircraft so if you try to barrel roll, the plane orbits around the point instead of mearly rolling over. Easy test is get plane in the air, hit the enter key to get an outside view, the hit the 5 key on the number pad try to barrleroll. if the plane is centered correctly it will roll staying in the center of the screen. If not it will orbit an axle point. At least most flight sticks can be calbrated to overcome this issue. but if you use lots of different planes it kinda blehs. This alos will cause handling issues, like turning your turning the plane much harder than your aware of because the axis is off. Seen tons of guys pull their hair out trying to figure out why their plane addon wasn't working right.

Flying via mouse you avoid lots of these issues, but your still turning the big F-14 very hard to keep a bead on the SU-27 so your goin to stall reguardless, the Flanker can make a much smaller radius turn than a huge heavy F-14.

hey footmunch....do you have any links handy for your latest F15's? the link someone just posted 2 pages back was no dice sad_o.gif

Iranian F-14 sounds got. What do you think about a Tomcat for FIA?

And maybe a little readme for the planes that we know what we can do with it (roundel, selectable aircraft number). To read a readme is easier as to come to this forum wink_o.gif

Ahhh, there's the rub. While I do try to fly by mouse now

and again, I'm sorry to say that my addons are really

tailored to joystick flight. Someone suggested separate

Joy & Mouse addons, but that's a bad solution, IMHO.

And I really thank you for that! I really like flying your latest planes with my joystick since I find it's as realistic as OFP can get! I think that there are more people with joysticks who fly regularly than people who have only a mouse, but please correct me if I'm wrong. smile_o.gif

hmm, hmm is it me or are the F14's stronger now? Just chassed some su27's in Afghanistan map and to my surprise they did a diferent evasive manuever droping altitude and going low and fast for the cannions, a pleasent surprise for sure, also nice to see those small stabiliser wings (?) when we reach 800+, great job on these, i hope one day they will have openable canopy and ejection seats, for the time i am more than pleased with these beauts smile_o.gif .