Sign in to follow this  
freddern

Ardennes island v1.0 by reinhard

Seen at gamezone:

---------------------------------------------------------

Reinhard sent us this very interresting Ardennes island V1.0. with new textures (but no new buildings yet in this version).

1) this is not a big island beacouse only represents the route of "kampfgrouppe Peiper", during the ardennes ofensive in 1944.

2)the map contains a very detailed river

3)Totally new textures; there are two mainly new textures, +originals modified plus normal textures.

4)10 detailed villages and 1 combustible depot

5)big forest areas with new textures too.

6)Reall locations for the villages.

ardenn1s.jpgardenn2s.jpg

ardenn3s.jpgardenn4s.jpg

ardenn5s.jpgardenn6s.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

And it's soooooo good. I promis. You won't regret downloading this one. It's almost... almost... do i dare say.... almost better Than Tonal....... I know I know maby not that good overall, but when it comes to detail this is the best ever. And defenatly the best WW2 island so far.

Island makers: Learn from this one... biggrin_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

ah and link:

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/islands2/ardennes%201.0.rar

really nice, some really interesting spots with a great gameplay potential, can't wait for the next version

itd be cool if it had lots of new building addons and such. I like it a lot but it still has the feeling of a BIS island b/c of objects and buildings.

Nah... The buildings doesn't bother me, but where did thoose fields come from. They look so good even from great distance and with bad graphic settings. Again, island makers: learn from this one. wink_o.gif

really nice, some really interesting spots with a great gameplay potential, can't wait for the next version
Dito!  smile_o.gif

@Sgt. Stryker:

Afaik there will be now buildings in a later version.

Mfg MEDICUS

EDIT:

And defenatly the best WW2 island so far.
Let's wait for the release of JC's Normandie  tounge_o.gif

ummm ok i got problems, its not showing up in my editor, I am very confused. I put all the addong in thier correct place, what did i do wrong?

Are you running OFP 1.96? The addon requires the 1.96beta patch, or at least that's what the error message I got said.

This is a great looking island with loads of detail, I love the tiny crossing town with the humpback bridge. Only problem is that I get pretty bad FPS running it.

OK, I've one question:

What will happen to the larg, flat area arround?

The Island itself looks really sweet! Especially the small towns are excellent!

Mfg MEDICUS

This is a very good island. one of the best, not that laggy either. I have some question too. what will happen to the surrounding un built on land? also i am confuessed which side of the river did the germans start from? Someone could make a good campaign from this island.

I think that that grass is the erba.pbo which was invasion 44's thrown out grass addon. Can anyone confirm this? rock.gif

Overall the island looks great and I already had some fun missions with it. Pity that the grass isnt optimized yet and less laggy.

i can confirm that eraba is an i44 addon that i dont think they wanted

its kind of a beta addon has a few bugs, not binarized etc...

but maybe im confuessed too crazy_o.gif i thought that all objects placed on an island had to be binarized

Only problem is that I get pretty bad FPS running it.

i opened it in the editor. saw 15000 little "o" 's (represending the indivudal plants and bushes) and i said feck that. not a chance that will work on a normal PC and proiceeded to remove it sad_o.gif shame thou cuz it looks nice

i opened it in the editor. saw 15000 little "o" 's (represending the indivudal plants and bushes) and i said feck that. not a chance that will work on a normal PC and proiceeded to remove it  sad_o.gif  shame thou cuz it looks nice

I think that shouldn't be a problem, cause it's a really small island compared with for example Tonal (afaik about 120000 objects)

Holy hell! That is a very good detalied map, but where the hell is the rest of the island?

Oh well, I don't cear

I have the made side on the map all by myself. GREAT!

wink_o.gif

So is it laggy or what? Wondering whether it's worth the d/l.

As a point of reference, tonal lagged me. Tonali did a bit in the biggest city. So I'm wondering if all that nice foliage detail might end up doing me in.

It does look nice regardless.

Lag-tastic it is.

I did. I can walk around in it ok. Some lag. However. I am thinking of mission wise. It's all good and well to put five guys in there but that's not a mission.

So yeah. It's nice but it's not very useful to me. I'd see the lag getting to be bad if I put more than a squad or so in it.

A mission like that is just asking for a big river battle and that ain't feasible on this rig.

i opened it in the editor. saw 15000 little "o" 's (represending the indivudal plants and bushes) and i said feck that. not a chance that will work on a normal PC and proiceeded to remove it sad_o.gif shame thou cuz it looks nice

I think that shouldn't be a problem, cause it's a really small island compared with for example Tonal (afaik about 120000 objects)

What matters on creating lag is the number of objects within your viewing distance. Tonal may have a lot of objects overall, but an island may lag more with less objects if they are located closer together.

To me, this is the best island made for OFP so far. The rolling landscapes, paddocks and crops make it very enjoyable to play on. Sometimes I get snipered cause I'm too busy just looking around... tounge_o.gif

The Lag is not bad for me. I have made a mission with: 2 x BAS MH-60's, 2 X Gazelle's, 1 x Puma, 12 BAS Delta's, 24 NZ troops, CM engamenat pack, 8 x VIT APC's, 2 x RHS tanks, over 80 LSR/JAM russian soldier and 2 hind's with COC artillary. Just starting to lag a little...

I think the empty spaces should be cleaned up a little and made into rolling hills that we wont play on, but may end up flying over.

Well dome to whoever made this masterpiece! smile_o.gif

The Lag is not bad for me. I have made a mission with: 2 x BAS MH-60's, 2 X Gazelle's, 1 x Puma, 12 BAS Delta's, 24 NZ troops, CM engamenat pack, 8 x VIT APC's, 2 x RHS tanks, over 80 LSR/JAM russian soldier and 2 hind's with COC artillary. Just starting to lag a little...

I almost did the same thing, but only a more like Operation Markedgarden with modern soldiers.

Good luck

PS: No lag here either.

well guy im reinhard the author of the islad im triyin to log in the forum a lot of time and dont work but finally im here smile_o.gif

First of all i want give thanks to all for the comments and support (sorry a lot for my crap english im from Spain).

Second ill put some updates pics very soon smile_o.gif

and third please put any suggestion or comment in the topic.

First of all: Welcome in this forum, reinhard66  tounge_o.gif

*Comments:

- Very nice and sweet towns

- Lovely surroundings

- Nice new textures (woods etc)

*Suggestion:

- Try to reduce the number of objects (there are really a lot of trees and bushes). This will reduce the lag a lot.

- About the "Outer Rim": Just turn it under the sea-level and add perhaps some small beaches or a little harbour (i know, i know ... it's the ardennes. There is no harbour, not even a beach, but i think this will give the whole island a nice conclusion). I think if you finish this part in the same way as the (excelent) part whitch still is ready, it'll lag as hell. Too much objects.

- would it be possible to "finish" the eraba.pbo (the grass)? That would be great! Looks very nice, but if u are more than a 100m away it turns in something like a green cushion.

Mfg MEDICUS

well guy im reinhard the author of the islad  im triyin to log in the forum a lot of time and dont work but finally im here smile_o.gif

First of all i want  give thanks to all for the comments and support (sorry a lot for my crap english im from Spain).

Second ill put some updates pics very soon smile_o.gif

and third please put any suggestion or comment in the topic.

Hi,

Great job on the island. Keep it up, and go on!

One issue I noticed:

The lower LODs of the forests seem to lack alpha transparency. I see images of trees on a black background...

Are there any mirrors?

That link in the first post didn't work for me  sad_o.gif

(even after a refresh or copy & paste in browser)

I'm from Belgium, I'm very interested in the ardennes island tounge_o.gif