Sign in to follow this  
Jackal326

Tears of the sun seals

No offence, but a little interesting info on the M240; it ejects the cartridges at the UNDERSIDE of the gun. Right where you (and many other people who tried to make an M240) placed the ammo box.
Ammunition is fed into the weapon from a 100-round bandoleer containing a disintegrating metallic split-link belt...As the gun is fired, the belt links separate and are ejected from the side. Empty cases are ejected from the bottom of the gun.

It's true, but an easy mistake to make if one hasn't fired the weapon before. There are several weapons that operate in the same way, ejecting the links to the side and brass to the bottom. Below are a few pictures to help explain. Still nice work on the weapons, just a small inaccuracy.

m2403.jpg

This shows the ammunition going through the ejection port to the bottom. Note that the port on the side will only eject links, not brass.

m2402.jpg

Side view of the real thing, showing the link ejection port.

m2404.jpg

Other side, showing feed ramp.

m2401.jpg

Ammunition adapter, for use when using 100-round carton or bandoleer.

Hope this helps understand the weapon's function better. It's an easy detail to overlook, as most photos do not clarify this. Still looks good so far, hope to see more pics.

EDIT: Also going to include an example ammo bag/bandoleer photo. This version is part of the "M240B Combat Ammo Pack" improvement, "Project Manager Soldier Weapons", from US Army, Program Executive Office Soldier.

ammopack240b_6.jpg

The picture of the ammo-bag is the same as can be found on the site I linked to (which isen't working atm). So you can use it as reference.

The NAFP also made an M240 (I believe Deadmeat is working on it). They made a correct soft-ammobag for theirs.

OK, I'll work on this correction immediately and upload an updated screenshot ASAP.

Great smile_o.gif

Now please don't think I don't like it. It looks VERY good. The ammo-belt in the picture looks extreme. Very realistic.

Keep it up!

I know you meant no offense with your comments, I took them as constructive criticism, and as such they serve to advance the addon. Anyway, I've made the changes you suggested, and HERE is the end result, complete with side-mounted ammo-bag. The bag is still being worked on as the sizing isn't quite right for the 50-100 round limit it is supposed to have, but its just to show I listen to the comments made by the community wink_o.gif

Edit: @Gordy: This shot features x2 Anti-Aliasing to keep you happy...

I know you meant no offense with your comments, I took them as constructive criticism, and as such they serve to advance the addon. Anyway, I've made the changes you suggested, and HERE is the end result, complete with side-mounted ammo-bag. The bag is still being worked on as the sizing isn't quite right for the 50-100 round limit it is supposed to have, but its just to show I listen to the comments made by the community wink_o.gif

Edit: @Gordy: This shot features x2 Anti-Aliasing to keep you happy...

I was just rtying to help sad_o.gif

I've fired the British version of this (the GPMG) many, many times in a previous life (!) and this addon looks superb. It's a great weapon IRL, powerful and reliable.

Thanks for all your hard work so far.

Rats404

I was just rtying to help  sad_o.gif

I know, I was just kidding.

@Rats404: I'm glad you like the addon.

The GPMG/FN MAG/C6/M240b/g has to be one of my all time favorite weapons. I hope you give it a good sound FX and some nice tracers smile_o.gif.

You may well be aware of this but the weapon is designed with a relatively high dispersion factor in the barrel rifling.

The rounds spread in an "Eye" shape rotated by 90 degrees - like a 0 but more pointed at top and bottom.

This is so that bursts stay within a relatively narrow arc horizontally but spread up and down range to help the gunner hit a target where range estimation is always a bit tricky. so in short - don't make it *too* accurate - you will never get good groups with a real one, it's an area weapon.

The bag is still being worked on as the sizing isn't quite right for the 50-100 round limit it is supposed to have...

The ammo bag you show is perfect, but what do you mean the size isn't right for the 50-100 round limit? A box of belted 7.62mm rounds is about the size of a box of Pop-Tarts, just slightly smaller. The ammo bag you have placed on your weapon looks like it's just the right size for a 100-rd belt. The bag shown in the picture I provided was empty, but if it did have a full belt it would be about the same size as the one you made. I think it looks just fine, but it's your weapon so it's your call.  smile_o.gif

I was also curious. Is it possible to make a weapon addon that uses 2 seperate kinds of ammo? An example would be to make this weapon use both the 100-rd ammo bag, as well as a 200-rd can? I was told it's possible to use "hiddenselection" to show a different ammo source depending on what is loaded, so maybe you can make 2 seperate ammo sources. I know that weapons like the RPG can use multiple ammo types, not sure about small arms though. An M240B could use the ammo bag of 100-rds and a box of 200-rds. Only problem I see is people being able to use the ammo can while on the move, and not just when in a fighting position. It's just an idea that I'm curious about, not as much a request. Sorry if this is a little off-topic.

Your new model looks great, and we all appreciate the fact that you take into consideration suggestions made by your fans. It was a small detail, but you still took the extra time to change it. That means a lot as an addon maker, shows you are doing this for the community's enjoyment as well. Thanks, keep up the awesome work.

In terms of weapons hiddenselections don't work. The way it could be done is to use two different models and use the modelspecial config define to change the model depending on which ammunition type is loaded - the same way I have the slide lock back on the pistols when they're empty. However, this limits me to 1 variations of each weapon (i.e. just iron sights), as when the Aimpoint version is loaded with the drum magazine for example, it will be turned into the drum magazine model, which will have iron sights - not the aimpoint as previously held by the player/AI. I haven't explained it very well, but basically its possible to a degree, but not to a degree of satisfaction I want - I want diversity in the pack (i.e. lots of optic variations and such) and the modelspecial command compromises that.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, there will be two types of magazine for the M240 etc as there currently is for the M249 (100 round ammo-bag and a 200 round box magazine), however, the models will NOT change accordingly.

Thanks for explaining that Jackal, I now understand how difficult it can be to make complex weapons. At least now I understand how it works, and I look forward to using your weapons soon as they are done. smile_o.gif

Thanks for explaining that Jackal, I now understand how difficult it can be to make complex weapons. At least now I understand how it works, and I look forward to using your weapons soon as they are done.  smile_o.gif

To explain things a little better;

With hidden selections you can have one model with ALL the optics and ALL the types of magazines in it. When you want a perticular weapon you just tell the game to show a particular scope and magazine (you could do this in the config).

An example is the panther pack made by FAB. It contains a lot of different panthers with different camo's, but it's all done with a single model and hidden selections (reducing the pbo-size drasticly)

Unfortunately hidden selections don't work on weapon models (while they do work on everything else). So if you want 2 types of scopes you'll need two models. 10 scopes, 10 models ect ect. Very frustrating since it means a very big PBO size, while most of the models are almost the same, with only a different scope.

With modelspecial you can define a special model to a mag. But like Jackel explained, this mag can only be used on a single weapon. So if you have weapons with different scopes ect, you'll need modelspecials for every one.

Modelspecials are used for rifle-grenades and on some pistol-models.

Mapfact did a little trick on their XM-8 pack and used a lot of scripting to make some sort of hidden-selection work on their weapon.

On the ammo-bag. You have it almost right, but a little detail is wrong.

You have a little edge around the black plastic. Actually there is no edge. Hard to explain with words for someone with limited knowledge of english so I made a few pictures  smile_o.gif

Just a fast model made in 30 seconds to show what I mean (note that dimensions may be incorrect and that the weapon is an M60 instead of an M240);

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....w-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....w-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums....w-3.jpg

Note it has more than enough room for 100 rounds. Also note that the entire bag is from soft-fabric so it hangs from the black part. This means that when fully loaded it partially hangs under the weapon. This doesn't matter since it won't block the ejection port.

Duely noted Cpt. FrostBite, I'll correct that ASAP. Thanks for your comments and suggestions all of you.

Mapfact did a little trick on their XM-8 pack and used a lot of scripting to make some sort of hidden-selection work on their weapon.

Actually their XM-8 uses only a whole bunch of modelspecial's. The scripts are responsible for things such as empty magazine models appearing on the ground.

Just a quick post to let you know I'm working on an M4 SPR - check the below image for a (very) early look at the weapon.

http://sjb.gotf.net/vbs1_ad....rly.jpg

Work is still being done on it, and it is far from finished, just thought I'd post here to let you know I'm still hard at work wink_o.gif

Great work!

I won't say something is wrong, since I you told it's a very early shot. Looks VERY promising.

It looks like a Mk12 Mod1 SPR (A/B). On 'normal' pictures of the gun it's most often seen with a fixed stock, while on pictures of the rifle in use with SF it can be seen with the 'M4' stock aswel.

Please also make one with a silencer since it seems the silencer is used very often.

Great work!

I won't say something is wrong, since I you told it's a very early shot. Looks VERY promising.

It looks like a Mk12 Mod1 SPR (A/B). On 'normal' pictures of the gun it's most often seen with a fixed stock, while on pictures of the rifle in use with SF it can be seen with the 'M4' stock aswel.

Please also make one with a silencer since it seems the silencer is used very often.

The same. No comments on the rifle as it is on early stage, but I like it already.

Just a quick post to let you know I'm working on an M4 SPR - check the below image for a (very) early look at the weapon.

http://sjb.gotf.net/vbs1_ad....rly.jpg

Work is still being done on it, and it is far from finished, just thought I'd post here to let you know I'm still hard at work wink_o.gif

i was gonna request it but thought you had already enough stuff on your hands!!!!!!!!!

coolz your doin it

is it the 6.8mm spr? also if you still feel the need of making more weapons suggestion/request m468 barret rifle uses 6.8X4mm rounds capable of holding 30 round mags, currently being used by sf or knights armnament type spc rifles

good work man love those weapons

ur weapons list will be he most customized of them all!!!!! seals seals seals

I always planned to include a suppressed versions, so you wont be disappointed Cpt. FrostBite wink_o.gif

I should be able to keep working on it through-out the week, and should hopefully be able to get some updated progress shots uploaded sometime towards the end of the week.

Hi, hey jackal, can u tell me what the O2 scale of those M4 models that gonna use with this units?: SEA(ilormoon)S looks very well; do u gonna really advandone us, the OFP i mean. "Marine Commander kid...?". Let's cu.