Sign in to follow this  
Doc. Zaius

Absolutely tasteless

Quote[/b] ]Mr. Leonard Crabs only seems effective as a defence lawyer.

But he's very effective in the role tounge_o.gifblues.gif .

Let's keep the spam to a minimum please people smile_o.gif

It was this post by Earl they are threatening The Guns Network LLC with copyright infringment.

I saw the email, I was just curious where he got it. Or is he the admin of guns network LLC?

This pic is disgusting. It gives the entire gaming magazine community a bad name (well to everybody who reads it)

I say, we should get the makers of Socom 2 to see this and see what they think of it!!!! mad_o.gif

Over 1700 signatures and counting.

Edit: and we are in the top ten catagory at petitiononline.com

This pic is disgusting. It gives the entire gaming magazine community a bad name (well to everybody who reads it)

I say, we should get the makers of Socom 2 to see this and see what they think of it!!!! mad_o.gif

Not a bad idea, I wonder if they haven ot seen it yet though...

I sent an email to my two favorite gaming news sites (gamegossip.com and bluesnews.com) to inform them of the situation. I included links to the gunsnet forum with the images and to the petition. I don't know how receptive they will be to this kind of news item, but hopefully if they don't print it, we might get a sympathetic site admin to sign. smile_o.gif

Looks like the original thread at the EGM forums was reopened, and is likely to stay open (due to many new threads devoted to the subject popping up)

'Alert' EGM to your disgust, not only of the mis-use of the actual photo, but also about the threat Ziff Davis Media Inc issued to those who exposed it's mis-use, here.

Quote[/b] ]

Electronic Gaming Monthly : News : An Apology From EGM

An Apology From EGM

1/12/2004

Dear readers,

In the February 2004 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, we printed a picture of soldiers holding what appear to be SOCOM II boxes. We altered this image to fit a story theme (soldiers preparing for online war), not realizing what the original context was (soldiers mourning their fallen comrades). We truly regret this and take full responsibility for our lack of better judgment. No excuses, we screwed up. It was completely unintentional, and we absolutely didn't mean to offend anybody. And then our company compounded the problem by sending a copyright infringement notice when the picture was scanned and posted without commentary on a third party's website, without understanding that the picture apparently was being displayed for critical purpose. We've addressed this issue head-on and are issuing apologies everywhere we can, and will also be doing so in our April 2004 issue. And, to further our apology, we're also making a contribution to The Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Please also note that this image was not used in an advertisement for SOCOM II, and was used without SOCOM II publisher Sony Computer Entertainment America or developer Zipper Interactive's knowledge or approval. We used it in our own editorial section, on our own efforts.

We'll try to be sure not to repeat this type of error again.

Sincerely,

Dan "Shoe" Hsu

Editor-in-chief, Electronic Gaming Monthly

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1434661,00.asp

I am a HUGE SOCOM II fan but that is tasteless... I saw that on the SOCOM II message board and I was pretty floored. If the picture was of anything else, it would probably be deemed okay but to turn soldiers mourning their fallen comrades is just wrong...

I'm glad EGM has apologized but it doesn't make it right... Just my 2 cents smile_o.gif

BTW, SOCOM II is a wicked game, if anyone wants to add me to their friends list my name is the same one as I use here (and everywhere else).

Quote[/b] ]And, to further our apology, we're also making a contribution to The Veterans of Foreign Wars.

When the going gets tough, the tough start bribing. tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]...not realizing what the original context was...

Ok, I've been following this and an apology is nice.... But I just have to say it:

How could you not realize what the original context of the picture was?

Well, we all make mistakes sometimes and IMO with the timely apology and (somewhat) explanation they have done what is necessary to satisfy basic decency.  

After all, it was probably some tired, hung over or otherwise distracted photo editor that originally made it, then it just never got caught in the editing process.  (which I bet won't happen again for this magazine after this)

I also hope other magazines are paying attention and take note of this event to prevent such things in the future.

Asmo

*edit* Added quote

Quote[/b] ]And, to further our apology, we're also making a contribution to The Veterans of Foreign Wars.

When the going gets tough, the tough start bribing. tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

smile_o.gif Interesting, I guess they are trying to get the support of their #1 customers back.

Anyway, that apology is a lot better than a copyright infringment notice. smile_o.gif I'm not sure who didn't know the original content, but anway. wink_o.gif Much better move.

Quote[/b] ]...not realizing what the original context was...

Ok, I've been following this and an apology is nice.... But I just have to say it:

How could you not realize what the original context of the picture was?

What you need to remember is that the person who edited the image and the person who has content control over what gets published are not the same person, and may not even have very close contact over a given workday. The editors ask the art department for a background image with a certain style or thesis, and print deadlines being what they are, the editors are probably not overly concerned with what or how the art department creates those images. I know that Ran will respond to this by saying "the strip of fabric makes it painfully obvious". To someone who has spent a significant portion of their life in the military, yes, but to someone who has made playing video games their calling in life, I can imagine that it might not be quite as obvious. Not making excuses, just trying to get to the root of the original mistake.

At least that apology was satisfactory. Feel proud people for fighting for common decency. Job well done. smile_o.gif

Much better than the first reluctant-sounding apology followed immediately by a threat of legal action. This time it sounds like they mean it smile_o.gif

Here is an e-mail a received which actually got burried by junk mail settings:

Quote[/b] ]Sir,

I got your email from an online petition re: EGM's use of a picture of Russian soldiers mourning their war dead. I completely agree with your point of view--our use of the picture was insensitive and insulting to the memory of all last soldiers, and just plain dumb. The fact that it was unintentional--the editors simply didn't see their error at the time--is by no means an adequate explanation.

We will be posting and distributing an official apology later today or tomorrow, but I wanted to drop you this note myself first.

My best regards,

ds

___

Dale Strang, SVP Game Group

Ziff Davis Media

101 Second Street

San Francisco, CA 94105

Ph: 415.547.8771

Fx: 415.547.8246

smile_o.gif But, everyone already knows of the apology now anyway.

@ Jan. 12 2004,21:22)]To someone who has spent a significant portion of their life in the military, yes, but to someone who has made playing video games their calling in life, I can imagine that it might not be quite as obvious. Not making excuses, just trying to get to the root of the original mistake.

I agree. This is made very evident by some of the idiotic responses in other forums - like Red vs Blue and CS. Some people just don't get it.

Hi all

I echo others in being happy that EGM finaly realised the enormity of their error. The donation to vetrans is the one plus on what has been a sorry tale.

As others have said something won by grassroots activists something for all those who participated to be proud of and all those on other forums who didn't to be ashamed of.

Kind Regards Walker