Sign in to follow this  
Doc. Zaius

Absolutely tasteless

This letter is self defeating, as stated before, they knew what was originially in the image, and therefore have lied about knowing what was there. These idiots (EGM) really crack me up.

EGM itself is rather innocent in the whole matter, they put the image in the magazine to begin with but later apologized. It's their publisher Ziff Davis that's drawing this whole thing out and insisting that the image is theirs and they can do whatever they want with it crazy_o.gif

EGM said that they didn't know the original context of the photo.  This can't be true if you look at the Getty website where the image was purchased from.

original1.jpg

original2.jpg

They could have been honest and said that using this image in such a way was very disprespectful and immoral.  ZD just added fuel to the fire.

(Thanks for fixing the photo for <100kb placebo)

Wow they must really be daft at Ziff Davis. I think that the people at CNN should get wind of this.

Hi all

How about the BBC, Guardian, Times etc.

Kind Regards Walker

Well most news stations have some sort of show about the media, I know here in Canada the CBC does have a few. Maybe this person at Ziff Davis needs copies of the petition too.

Yes, that's true. I don't know about Canada's 'Media Watch' type show, but ours is on a poorly viewed government station, whose commentator could be more likened to an art critic than a journalist.

If and when this is to hit the news, it'd be if and when this matter were to reach the courts.

Hi all

Also a direct email to Getty images stating the belief that their image has been missused under their licence with regard to libel (possable) defarmation (definite) and invasion of privacy (possable)

I doubt they would want the getty name classed with such an act and they have the money and lawyers to sue Ziff Davis to bankruptcy.

PS I just noticed the guns site is down is it time to involve the EFF?

Kind Regards Walker

Good idea Walker. If some sort of legal action is taken I say we declare total war. Use every single forum of media, word of mouth, the Catholic Church against these guys.

Must say, If there had simply been an apology, I might have considered reading EGM again. . . as it is I will be explaining this to every game magazine reader I know, and I'm sure they will all agree never to purchase another Ziff Davis product again.

A threat of legal action is simply a bad move on their part, hands down. If they looked bad already, this makes them look evil.

Hi all

Something I have never done before I wrote an "angry from Tunbrdge Wells" type email to Getty Images if Ziff Davis had just left it with an apology fine but the legal threat thing got my back up.

Quote[/b] ]Dear Sir/Madam

I wish to bring to your attention the probable misuse of one of your images.

The image numbered #1510227

image title: SOLDERS GATHER IN REMEMBRANCE OF WAR VICTIMS

Subject: News, Unrest,Conflicts and War

By:Laski Diffusion/Contributor

Caption: n367342 07

It was submitted to you on 21 Oct 2002 05:31pm

The picture has been used in a Ziff Davis publication February edition of Electronic Gaming Magazine p(42) and possibly others by the same publisher.

The nature of the misuse is: that the image of Russian soldiers holding photographs of the fallen comrades in the Chechen war at remembrance ceremony has been altered to remove photos of their fallen comrades and replace them with images of a computer game; for which the magazine are advertising the selling of a strategy guide.

I believe this use to defame the persons shown in the image and so be against your copyright.

The image is dated as created on 7th of April 2000 and so those defamed will still find the miss use of their comrades image painful and clearly disrespectful.

I look forward to your prompt action and reply to this matter.

Yours Faithfully Ian Walker

Damn Angry Walker

God damn it, tomorrow CBC news will show up at my door asking questions lol, I need to shave. tounge_o.gif

Well, Ziff Davis really can't win much legaly, the site hosting the image is not doing so for profit, they were doing so to show the misuse of the image. Also all adverts made by EGM or whoever did the editing were not tampered with nor were they removed.

They can huff and puff, but they cant blow anything down. ;)

Quote[/b] ]Something I have never done before I wrote an "angry from Tunbrdge Wells" type email to Getty Images if Ziff Davis had just left it with an apology fine but the legal threat thing got my back up.

Legal threat wow_o.gif ?!? Gasp, what have I missed during my shower tounge_o.gif ?

I don't think its terribly smart move of Ziff David to threaten the guy who originally posted the disrespectful image.  Just apologize and let it go...
Quote[/b] ]

The Guns Network LLC

P.O. Box 760067

San Antonio, TX. 78245-0067

Dear Mr. Stowell:

I am writing on behalf of Ziff Davis Media Inc. (“Ziff Davisâ€), the publisher of ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY Magazine and the www.egmmag.com website. It has come to our attention that images taken from the February 2004 issue of ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY Magazine (the “Contentâ€) have been reproduced, distributed and displayed on your Guns Network LLC website at http://www.gunsnet.net/album/uploads//6673/f.jpg . Your actions are unlawful and constitute an infringement Ziff Davis’ copyright and other intellectual property rights.

We hereby demand that you immediately discontinue all reproduction, distribution and display of the Content, whether on the Guns Network site or elsewhere, and that you immediately provide us with written assurances that you (i) have discontinued all reproduction, distribution and display of the Content and (ii) will not reproduce, distribute or display any other material previously published in ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY Magazine or in any other publication or website owned by Ziff Davis.

Your unlawful reproduction, distribution and display of the Content is causing us economic harm – particularly at a time when the issue of ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY containing the Content is on the newsstands. We additionally have the right to statutory damages and we are expressly reserving all of our rights. Please be aware that we are also sending a copy of this letter to your hosting site to bring to their attention your infringement of our proprietary rights

Your immediate response to the foregoing is essential. If we do not hear from you within three (3) business days, or if we are not satisfied with your response, we will consider all appropriate action to protect our rights.

Sincerely,

_

Tara Garfinkle

Intellectual Property Manager

Ziff Davis Media Inc.

phone: 212.503.3554

fax: 212.503.3560

email: tara_garfinkle@ziffdavis.com

It was this post by Earl they are threatening The Guns Network LLC with copyright infringment.

It sounds like time to haul out Mr. Leonard Crabs blues.gif . Too bad he doesn't work for us tounge_o.gif .

God damn it, tomorrow CBC news will show up at my door asking questions lol, I need to shave.  tounge_o.gif

no no no no no! wow_o.gif

don't shave, but wear military fatigue, and have a firearm, preferably a long gun ready and hold them while interviewing.

tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I need to shave

<snip>

you live in a cave? tounge_o.gif

God damn it, tomorrow CBC news will show up at my door asking questions lol, I need to shave.  tounge_o.gif

don't shave, but wear military fatigue, and have a firearm, preferably a long gun ready and hold them while interviewing.

tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I need to shave

<snip>

Beard? Cave? Fatigues? Rifle?

Ralph, are you allowed to try to get forum members JDAM'd?

It sounds like time to haul out Mr. Leonard Crabs blues.gif . Too bad he doesn't work for us tounge_o.gif .

Mmm... legal barn...

Mr. Leonard Crabs only seems effective as a defence lawyer. rock.gifwink_o.giftounge_o.gif

will this thing goes onto gamesoft development company's head? rock.gif cause someone did refuse to buy SOCOM 2...........

edit:should we write another letter to EGM again, tell him because of his idiot pic, not only causing EGM economic harm, it also causing game company economic harm too tounge_o.gif

God damn it, tomorrow CBC news will show up at my door asking questions lol, I need to shave. tounge_o.gif

Lol, wouldn't that be fun.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

I need to shave

<snip>

Pretty much. tounge_o.gif