Sign in to follow this  
Nagual

Bas tonal-tango pack

BAS-

The OPFOR is perfect, they serve the purpose of adding atmosphere and detail to the game. I just wanted some location accurate enemies to blow away. By location accurate I mean no russians in somolia  biggrin_o.gif

Thanks again, my needs are filled till OFP 2, but I will be downloading the rest of your addons.

Sweet_pup

I’ve never really been interested in the whole desert/African/Iraqi themed islands, but this is simply stunning. The atmosphere from these islands is brilliant, And attention to detail throughout the whole pack is amazing. Well done to everybody involved.

I think as long as Bas keep knocking out quality addons like this, Bis can take as long as they want with OFP2. biggrin_o.gif

No, no, no, no and no. We had specific goals for the OPFOR and we feel we have accomplished them, they were meant to be low detail adversaries that are an alternative to the resistance/east troops that were used in missions as bad guys. We have accomplished our aims and you should be happy that you have any vehicles at all.

Yes Evis is right even though i have a request bubbling inside me too to tell BAS to improve these units quality buti wont for reasons.

1. Third world africans have got shit equipment which is broken down.. biggrin_o.gif

2. They are suppose to be used in large numbers , MEANING LAG if they have nice textures with higher resolutions.

3. Be grateful we even got these in the first place...cant remember what OFP looked lik 3 days ago crazy_o.gif

4. As a mission maker i have just seen its impossible to make a non-lag mission in tatu mainly because if you have 4-5 groups of these units advancing from a placeatthe same time it will LAg , so i have to use spawn scripts as Naugual. In other words we'll be f@cked if the textures were improved.

Apart from what evis said, in the future I DO plan on updating the opfor from the unit side as i was never "really" happy with them. Instead of moving on to a multitude of different projects, my goal is to continue to refine the projects I've worked on such as the OPFOR, Rangers, Delta, UH60's, etc. I always want to go back and fix many of the shortcuts I took just to get things out the door, and this seems like the best place to start. Vehicles? Refined textures yes, but not new models unless someone else wants to do it. But I would want to continue to refine this work so that it will still be a viable pack to play when OFP2 comes out. I think this pack can continue to be one of the more interesting pieces of work within OFP, and it would be a shame to let it sit and fade away. I spent waaaay too much time getting it to this point to let that happen.

That's good to hear! Keep up the good work! smile_o.gif

In other words we'll be f@cked if the textures were improved.

I agree, besides, I think the textures are completely fine as they are, nothing to complain about at all.

BAS,

Thanks for putting so much work into this pack, it's great.  

I don't know why people are complaining, they should be happy with what they get.  It's not like building vehicles, objects, soldiers, etc is easy and can be done in a couple of hours, it's very hard work that takes months.  If there is something that wasn't in this pack that you wanted to see included, try building it yourself, don't complain to BAS.  

I can't wait to see what you guys create next!   smile_o.gif

A couple of high res. screens I made while messing around in the editor:

Both screens feature the Tonial Island and Opfor addons by BAS and various addons by Operation Northstar.

Screenshot 1:  A Canadian Recce Patrol, part of a NATO/UN securtiy force, stops to question civilans about rebel activity in the area.

Note the dark figure on the left side of the picture (JTF-2).

http://www.km-clan.com/uploads/images/Patrol1.jpg

Screenshot 2: Canadian peacekeepers setup security at a large, public market.  

http://www.km-clan.com/uploads/images/unmarket.jpg

Redhawk Six[PBC]PVT

Now that makes it all worth it. I was hoping people would start to use other countries like the Canadian troops, French troops, UN troops etc with the opfor since really, any country would fit in for peacekeeping missions. Nice pics. As much as I hate to say it, and i'll get laughed at by a few, I'm hoping to finally DL and use the french pack on the island. I've read more than a few stories of french paras cracking heads in african countries to restore peace. No flames please.

Indeed, quite true. I have spoken to a few doctors who have done volountary service in Congo and a few other places. Quite horrid stories they have. Although not of the French (Wich do quite a good job at peace-keeping. And shouldn't be blaimed for being "sissies" for not joining the war on Iraq)

But these "wars" are terrible, many innocent people die in vain. And many doctors and other personnel are being harassed by militias for being neutral and helping all sides in the conflict.

And I can't wait for OFrP to release their FFL forces so that I can have some fun with them on Tonal. I have always been fascinated by the FFL and most of the French army.

Also, in a future OPFOR/Civilian pack update is there any chance of seeing aid personnel? Like doctors and other volountary personnel.

P.S Awesome job BAS team, kudos to you. Now take a little break. You all deserve it D.S

As much as I hate to say it, and i'll get laughed at by a few, I'm hoping to finally DL and use the french pack on the island. I've read more than a few stories of french paras cracking heads in african countries to restore peace. No flames please.

rock.gif I don´t quite understand? rock.gif

Also, in a future OPFOR/Civilian pack update is there any chance of seeing aid personnel? Like doctors and other volountary personnel.

I know there is a lot of room for expansion with the OPFOR and civs, and as they get refined, it is possible that more types get added. Thats not a promise, but just a reskin on the women and add a nurses hat, and there you go, one aid worker. Same with the men, reskin one , and some sort of med gear and you have a doctor, add a hood to the dress of one of the females, add a habit and you have a nun. Not a lot of work, but just finding the time and waiting until what we have is refined will take a bit of time.

As much as I hate to say it, and i'll get laughed at by a few, I'm hoping to finally DL and use the french pack on the island. I've read more than a few stories of french paras cracking heads in african countries to restore peace. No flames please.

rock.gif I don´t quite understand? rock.gif

I'm an american.

Excellent work BAS, have been waiting for this island drooling ever since I saw some of the first SS.

From a mission makers point of view (me), you guys hit the nail right on the head with your aproach on models and textures.

For all of those who like to complain you know what they say "give a mouse a cracker and he will ask for a glass of milk".

*Cough* Dont forget the brits down in the Congo!

Well, I'm waiting for Jonno for those ;)

i've served 2years in the french military from 1992 to 1994

and i went to central africa personaly the tonal island gave me shivers it looks pretty real many many souvenirs came back

driving around on it i also can't wait for the ofprp troops and vehicles to come out i think i could bring up some missions using the french units and vehicles on such a great island biggrin_o.gif

Woah, I didn't know this has been released so suddenly.

Anyway, I downloaded it...and the landscape is...words cannot describe. Truley remarkable work, guys!

Although I was disappointed that the heavy version of the island gives me quite a slow framerate and is almost unplayable. sad_o.gif

I have a 1.5GHZ, 512MB RAM, ASUS Titanium V7700 spec and I expected the island to be a fast slow anyway.

But I shouldn't be bitching - I gotta upgrade.

Great job you guys and gyals! smile_o.gif

i've served 2years in the french military from 1992 to 1994

and i went to central africa personaly the tonal island gave me shivers it looks pretty real many many souvenirs came back

driving around on it i also can't wait for the ofprp troops and vehicles to come out i think i could bring up some missions using the french units and vehicles on such a great island biggrin_o.gif

If you DL'd the island you have the OPFOR troops already, so start making those missions already biggrin_o.gif

Now that makes it all worth it. I was hoping people would start to use other countries like the Canadian troops, French troops, UN troops etc with the opfor since really, any country would fit in for peacekeeping missions. Nice pics. As much as I hate to say it, and i'll get laughed at by a few, I'm hoping to finally DL and use the french pack on the island. I've read more than a few stories of french paras cracking heads in african countries to restore peace. No flames please.

I'm learning mission building and have an idea for a great MP Co-op campaign, just waiting until I know more about building missions and scripting, and for Suchey's MARPAT Marines.

The campaign will includ a number of realistic mods, such as stuff from BAS, Op Northstar, Op Frenchpoint, Suchey's Marines pack, etc.  The story line behind it will be that Nato and the UN have been called in after a violent rebel uprising.  The Nato mission will be to locate and eliminate/capture the rebel forces while the UN mission will be to provide assistance to the local police forces and help repair the damage done by the fighting between rebel forces and government forces.

I was thinking of putting togeather a small team to do this, as my mod, Op. Protect the State is idle (not enough people) and more people working on it means it can be bigger, better and finished sooner than if it was just me.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in working on such a campaign, private msg me here. If there is enough interest, I can setup a forum for it. Also, there is a reskin of an early beta of Suchey's marines over at ofp.info (you'll have flip through their news archive, it was posted a few months ago I believe) availible for public download, that could be used in the place of the final version until it is released.

What a cool mission would be

You Person = Old Delta Ops enjoying his retaremint

You arrive in a scrap airplane really bad state

And you walk the terminal in and walk outside where a cab is waiting for you that will take you to town on the way to town your cab driver has a motor problem and get out the car and gets shot in the head an falls dead on the ground from no where rebels appear and kidnap you to their hide out here will come the delta's in actiont they will gonna save you and bring you a delta suite because you have been already in a same sort situation but that time you where the rescuer , you put on your Delta Desert Suit and Gear on and move your way to Rebels, Traps, to the airport where a Blackhawk is waiting

Mayby good mayby not biggrin_o.gif i think its a master piece

Just put down detail levels if this beauty causes slowdowns on your system, like taking shadows off, simple ground textures and putting detail level to around 7.

Runs quite well on my 1.27mhz tbird with 512mb and Radeon 7200. 1024x768 resolution with 32-bit colors.

Freaking AWESOME island and 30fps and bit lag smile_o.gif

EXCELENT JOB BAS Team ... really You are heroes :0

I know there is a lot of room for expansion with the OPFOR and civs, and as they get refined, it is possible that more types get added. Thats not a promise, but just a reskin on the women and add a nurses hat, and there you go, one aid worker. Same with the men, reskin one , and some sort of med gear and you have a doctor, add a hood to the dress of one of the females, add a habit and you have a nun. Not a lot of work, but just finding the time and waiting until what we have is refined will take a bit of time.

One thing on the subject of doctors and nurses is a hospital. A nice one that you can walk inside of and that has a helipad on the top. Ones like you see in the congo.

Another thing I'd like to see is a prison camp like in Guantanamo Bay..

One thing on the subject of doctors and nurses is a hospital. A nice one that you can walk inside of and that has a helipad on the top. Ones like you see in the congo.

It can't be walked in (atm), but something i think i forgot to put in isle readme, is the hospitals on tonal can always be healed at. So during any mission if you can find a hospital it will be able to heal you.

Same for the BIS repair sheds at various bases, you can always repair and re-arm vehicles at them. Try hovering over one in a helo after some ammo is spent.

There will be an update sometime today fixing campaign, some missions, opfor addon dependency and reb #4 bugs, around 5 mb in size (or smaller).

guys,

Please stop complaining about buildings not being enterable and having poor textures... You certainly have to admit that BAS has made the best looking cities for OFP up to date. They look as least as good than all the other buildings ever created for ofp, with the small difference that BAS achieved to make them almost completely LAG-free unlike other mod teams. The textures are more than good enough for an ofp game, they give the city a realistic look well enough... and thats what ofp is about, isn't it? If you guys want more detailed buidings for the cities, then go play Delta Force black hawk down. Problem is you'll miss the freedom of ofp there, you won't be able to explore a whole island... LAG free that is...

As for buildings not being enterable... Thats really a minor thing. How many missions do you know that actually use buildings as a central element? Very few...

And the city theme allows sufficient possibilitys for taking cover, just add some broken down cars and other garbage, you'll get enough cover possibilities.

It was a good decision to design the buildings and cities that way.

Please keep them so.

As for poorly detailed rebel soldiers,

They look better than the delta force BHD soldiers. And because rebel soldiers usually come in huge masses, it's totally OK to make them low detail for preventing LAG, the thing many are complaining about.

So was a good decision to make the rebels that way.

Please keep them so.

Conclusion:

BAS' decision not to implent astronomic detail in buildings and soldiers is absolutely legitimate. It's the best decision they could have made, it shows that those guys know that they're programming for a game that's all about realistic environment in combination with LAG-free gameplay. Unlike many other mod-teams and professional dev teams, they don't fall in love with beautiful graphics and start sacrificing lag-free gameplay for beauty. And achieving that isn't as easy as it sounds. In fact, it's the thing almost all devs (even professionals) fall in for and that finally kills their game. BAS didn't kill their game/mod. They made it beautiful and almost LAG-free. And I think they should keep it exactly that way.

Of course, I eagerly await the new version of the island. There are some unfinished spots, but they don't disturb the overall impression (which is absolutely fantastic) too much. It's really great to hear that you'll finish them as well!

So keep up the good work!!!