Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Call of duty demo out!

SP is far too heavily scripted to be replayable at all

I don't know. I would play it twice. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]memorise where the mortars land and run inbetween them in order to survive?

I did not encounter this problem unless I veered off the beaten path.

Generally, if you stick near your buddies and hit the dirt when you're told to, I believe the scripting is designed to intentionally avoid killing you outright many times.

Either that or my woman's intuition works well during mortar bombardments. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Animations were kind of dodgy too - jerky and incorrect sometimes.  Watch the anim at the end.

On my P4 2Ghz 512MB RAM machine. I experience the smallest amount of stutter on rare occasions. Gameplay was normally very smooth for me.

Mortars - I wasn't off the beaten path, I was in the midst of all my comrades; the main problem was on the mission in the snow when you are back with the americans having played as the brits previously. I eventually figured out I was going too fast and should stick near Cpt Foley. Still, I had to reload the mission only around 30 times :rolleyes:

The animations being jerky and wrong has nothing to do with my machine; it was smooth and playable, BUT the animations were jerky and incorrect. It looks like only a few frames of animation are playing, but it isn't stuttering - its just not detailled animation.

Quote[/b] ]I can't say that the few glitches I saw were tremedously relevant. They're more apparent maybe if you play the game slow and keep retreating behind the last corner to slow the gameplay down.

As opposed to playing it like it was quake?

No thanks.

Most of all I hated those damn respawning enemies, clear a room and next thing you know a squad of germans behind you magically appears and kicks down a door you could not open 2 minutes ago. mad_o.gif

And dont get me started on the dam and battlecruiser missions, ARGH.

Most of all I hated those damn respawning enemies

I hated the most when you are running down a corridor in a building and the double doors 10 meters in front of you burst open with 2-3 Germans ready to fire.

The first time that happened my heart sank. sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX

As opposed to playing it like it was quake?

No not that insanely but not at the pace of a game of checkers either.

As for the mortars in that winter mission, I'm not there yet.

/avon will stick next to foley

ghostface.gif

Fun at times... Pegasus Bridge and Dawnville and Burnville were entertaining, and even the first rail-shooter sequence was fun, but after the first Soviet mission that unequivocally demonstrates that the designers don't have a creative bone in their body, things go downhill hard. Scripted... yeah. And that's about all it is. And for a game with the tagline "In the war that changed the world, no one man won alone", you sure are on your own an awful lot. I am mystified by the incredibly high scores it is getting from reviewers. A good score would have been sufficient for people who like this sort of thing, but 9s and 10s?

It does have good effects, sound and visual, apart from the low detail animations, so I think that is swaying a lot of reviewers. If you are used to bland featureless maps like CS ones, CoD could seem quite immersive.

It does have good effects, sound and visual, apart from the low detail animations, so I think that is swaying a lot of reviewers.  If you are used to bland featureless maps like CS ones, CoD could seem quite immersive.

I've never played CS, nor MoH. I may have gotten 5 minutes of Quake play in my lifetime and that would have been a long time ago.

Again, COD is not a startegic war sim for sure but it's not Duke Nukem either.

It sort of like feels as if you're in a Band Of Brothers type of production. The plot is OK and there's lots of action and the player is a leading actor in this immersion. Like any decent movie, you may not want to see it again for 4-6 months. OK, but it's worth seeing IMO.

Anyone else try out the MP?

MP is pretty good, so long as you find a server that has disabled the Snipers, as they are everywhere. Once that is sorted it'll be a pretty good MP game. and they are promising good MOD support. so we'll see how that pans out.

Like any decent movie, you may not want to see it again for 4-6 months. OK, but it's worth seeing IMO.

Usually I don't have to pay 50 dollars to go see a movie, or even buy a DVD. Which reminds me: The Two Towers Extended Edition DVD is out today! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee biggrin_o.gif

Guest DKM-jaguar
best to save your money and buy hidden and dangerous 2 instead.

After the first one?? you've got to be kidding..

Fight For Freedom only slightly redeemed the experience, with the view over the gun and not solely through the sights (you try running around looking only through your rifle sights and not fall over)..

H&D looses my votes becuase the vehicles all seem they are exactly the same only reskinned..

I've never played BF1942 or medal of honour, so I am getting this. That way, if it is like them, I won't notice the same-ness  biggrin_o.gif

and anything which is like Band Of Brothers has to be good. I have not got the proper connection to d/l the demo though.. mad_o.gif

@ Nov. 19 2003,00:23)]
Like any decent movie, you may not want to see it again for 4-6 months. OK, but it's worth seeing IMO.

Usually I don't have to pay 50 dollars to go see a movie, or even buy a DVD.

I'm hoping the MP will make it worth the money. Indeed, the SP isn't worth that and I understood this before I clicked on the CHECKOUT button. biggrin_o.gif

best to save your money and buy hidden and dangerous 2 instead.

I totally agree with you there my friend. HD2 is much better than Call Of Duty.

I have finished COD within the same weekend I bought it, and will probably trade it in for something else with more longevity. To me COD felt like a bonus pack of missions for MOH saga/farce. The combined stories of the American , British and Russian actions during the war, didnt gel together to make it feel like a campaign for the mad dash to Berlin to overthrow the Nazis.

I cant comment much on the COD multiplayer side of things yet, havent had time as I am playing HD2 online too much.

I dont think COD brought anything relatively new to the WW2 FPS genre as a whole, and was a disapointment.

However the Russian Missions are its only saving grace. Its a shame the whole of COD couldnt of been based on the Russian perspective of the war, far more interesting than the American and British missions that were represented in the game. Most of the missions incidently were based around destroying flak cannons or artillery, it got so repetitive and boring I didnt take any interest until my comrades flew the flag over the Reichstag, but sadly that was the end of the game...

CoD is a good game on its own (if pretty ugly), but compared to MoHAA, it´s just disgraceful. Stalingrad landing? Tank missions? Bastogne? Even the weapon holding animations! It IS MoHAA. Embarrassing.

CoD is a good game on its own (if pretty ugly), but compared to MoHAA, it´s just disgraceful. Stalingrad landing? Tank missions? Bastogne? Even the weapon holding animations! It IS MoHAA. Embarrassing.

well worth the money then!

courtesy of a colleague.

My sides are still aching and you've made a few others here giggle on an otherwise depressing morning.

I hear that there's supposed to be a COD MP patch soon that deals with bunnyhopping.

I don't understand why they still put jumping in FPS wargames, has anyone seen a soldier in the middle of battle jump? Sure they climb over things, onto things, but jump? Is it just me or is it silly?

I don't understand why they still put jumping in FPS wargames, has anyone seen a soldier in the middle of battle jump? Sure they climb over things, onto things, but jump? Is it just me or is it silly?

Jump over ditches. Jump over mines. Jump over low objects.

Its' applicable but the game engine has to be changed to inhibit woohoo-woohoo jumping mode.

i agree any one ever played cs that just takes the piss the only reason i can see for having jumping is if you need to jump between a gap or something, like between two roofs (thinks mafia tounge_o.gif), but you shouldnt be able to shoot if it is possible

Jump over ditches. Jump over mines. Jump over low objects.

Its' applicable but the game engine has to be changed to inhibit woohoo-woohoo jumping mode.

So you're telling me if a soldier sees a mine he'll jump over it instead of walking around it? Or jump a ditch rather than find a safer route to cross it, what if he falls in the ditch and breaks his ankle? His whole squad is messed up from one moment of stupidity. Not to mention the fact that I can't imagine any soldier carrying a full pack plus weapon and ammo etc. can jump very high?

You've seen too much news and discovery-channel. Now go and educate yourself watching Rambo biggrin_o.gif