Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Which theatre are you most looking forward to?

In fact, i was hoping BIS will make a fiction war in New Zealand, and it has all kinds of ground to fight.

But now i can only hope any talented island maker will make it.

smile_o.gif

A war in New Zealand would be very fictional indeed tounge_o.gif

Unless we beat Australia at cricket. Then there'd be hell to pay

Central Europe... it's not too exotic for me smile_o.gif

Fulda Gap ...

thousands of commies rushin through the gap with serioulsy outgunned Nato troops wink_o.gif

central europe.

it'll be fun to not fight on an island for once. smile_o.gif

and in the 60s and 70s it'll be freaking fun to play spy biggrin_o.gif

central europe.

it'll be fun to not fight on an island for once. smile_o.gif

and in the 60s and 70s it'll be freaking fun to play spy biggrin_o.gif

spy ??

no ... OFP is about contact combat , not spying

Yeah, but there will always be addon missions.

I am really looking forward to Europe, and somewhat to Africa. As for Nam, well its just not that interesting to me. The enemy in Vietnam is one that is just not interesting to me, not that I do not have th upmost respect for American soldiers in Vietnam, becuase I do and I support them. I just hope the main focus is on Europe.

i voted for europe, because i think it has the best landscape of these 3 theatres. but (tank) battles in an african desert would also be funny.

My vote's just gone in for Africa. Only been once (Rhodesia/ Zimbabwe, via Eritrea and Kenya), but the OFP engine seems ideally suited to what I saw there. Until BIS can model digging-in or other means of changing the terrain, I think the model is only realistic in areas where the ground is too hard for trenches, bunkers or tunnels.

Anyway, plenty of scope for conflicts in that time-frame. Rhodesia itself, S Africa/ Angola, Mozambique - plus all the other ex-European colonies which were abandoned to fend for themselves. Don't remember too much overt US involvement, though... Liberia, I suppose.

I voted Eastern Europe.  The reason is, it'll be harder to dissappoint the gamers with this one.  I'll explain...  

(1) Vietnam has been done to death by all tactical shooters lately.  LOS, Vietcong, Spec. Ops.... on and on.  It would be great to see what BIS could do with it, because I think OFP could bring a level of realism to it (large numbers of civilians, Female VC Soldiers) that no other shooters did. The problem is, we expect nothing but the upmost in realism (as far as combat scenarios) from OFP, and Vietnam was a VERY dynamic war.  Also, it really happened so we have something to measure the game against for realism.  By the way, I hope the Vietnam turns out like Full Metal Jacket... That was the REAL Vietnam, plus the jungle combat.  We need all three: urban, villages,  and the jungle.  I hope BIS doesn't just focus on the jungle like all the other developers did...

(2) Africa - Not a lot of games have touched Africa at all.  I think the first one I played that did was Delta Force 2.  DFLW did some Africa, but suspiciously, THERE WERE NO AFRICANS!  DFBHD did Somalia, but did a really crappy job.  Other than that, there aren't any serious examples.  This could be fun ("fun" means interesting, because genocide and war are not fun) because there were a lot of combat scenarios in the timeframe (but not too much western involvment as I remember)  To do a good job here, it would be mainly village combat, with more civilians with bad guys, and having a tough time deciding who to shoot.  That is unless, of course, the campaign turns out to be a fictional battle that is West vs. CCCP (USSR) fighting for control of Africa.  Well, the problem here is, this also really happened, so we have something to make a comparison with for realism, but it will most likely be a fictionalized East vs. West scenario. (I hope not)

(3) Central Europe:  This one, while maybe tying with Vietnam for potential, would be easier to do in a way that will satisfy everyone.  With Vietnam, to meet the standard of realism that everybody expects from OFP, BIS would REALLY have to work hard, due to the dynamic range of that war.  Central Europe is really open-ended.  It's the same setting as the original OFP, so they have no excuse not to do a good job, plus, no major military action occured, so we have nothing to hold to for realism.  Of course its going to be fictional, and that'll be okay. (By the way, I hope the other two campaigns aren't)  They can make it as climactic as they want.  The war can escalate to whatever scale they want!  It'll be great.  From infatry battles in the rolling hills, to urban warfare in Prague, to rolling your M60 Patton down the autobahn highway towards East Berlin.  It's a win, win project. (I hope they make Vietnam very true to the actual war, and make it just as good as Central Europe.  It can be, but it wouldn't be easy to do)  Now that I build CE up like this, they'd better do a good job, or I'm going really dissappointed, as I'm sure anybody who took the time to read this enormously long post will be too.

Well there are my reasons, and I believe them to be fairly sound.  I wonder if any other game forum in history has ever had this much activity and posting about a game that is more than a year away from release?

Africa's my vote, but I'm really looking forward to all 3 theaters smile_o.gif

I vote for Central Europe. My reasons are simple: BIS is in Prague. And most of the developers were probably raised there. They know the place in ways they will never get to know Asia and Africa. I'd love it if they would redo Central Europe, but this time better. What i dream of, is a colorfull, realistic recreation of the area that would result in total immersion. I would love it if they would forget for a moment playability, and do an absurdly realistic and detailed reconstruction of the region. And i don't mean the terrain. I would like to see, beside the typical landscapes and architecture, the people. People of all ages, with a veridic illustration of their lifestyles (different behaviours, nationalities, occupations, animals, tools, vehicles, etc..).

I know i would be very disappointed, if they would do 3 superficial illustrations of 3 regions/eras/conflicts. I hope BIS won't choose 3 "themes" Hollywood style, where the decor is african, but the africans themselves are generic humans or americans in disguise (not that i have anything against americans). I may be a fool, but i like foreign movies subtitled instead of dubbed, and i would rather have the russians in the game speak Russian, instead of English with a russian accent..

I think Africa could be interesting.

There's more to African conflicts than cheesy movies about rescue operations smile_o.gif. Movies tells us zilch about real war, books on the other hand does (and filmed documentaries). Check out wargamer.com for first rate reviews on various books covering conflicts everywhere (they specifically review books that would appeal to wargamers and war-simmers).

Libya vs Chad for one. It would actually include some first rate troops pitched against eachother.

We are talking FFL vs Libyan infantry here. A small gang of Legionaires virtually stopped a huge Libyan force single handedly. This is one of the FFL hall of fame battles IMO smile_o.gif.

Then there's the good ol' Suez conflict. Top notch material(this could be huge).

For low key conflict. Angolan civil war.

And...

The old conflict between Morocco and West Sahara (Polisairo guerilla) but it also included a fair amount of Algerian troops. Could be interesting for those fancying desert conflict (normally not me).

The Rhodesian wars however I'm not too fond of "guerilla war" it's right at there at the bottom of the barrel together with "massed militia guys with Ak-47:s using zero tactics vs Delta Force").

Less known but it was actually an interesting conflict. Did anyone know that there was a conflict between Egypt and Libya too? It was actually a big battle with lots of tanks and infantry. This could be interesting.

As for Central Europe. Well read my Fulda Gap post in suggestions. It explains why this will be the supreme theatre in OFP 2 (if that's what they are targetting for).

BM

I would have to say Central Europe, as I live in Europe, then Africa.

sorry people, short on time, so no possible way I'll read the entire thread;

one little question;

do you guys know in what time the africa campaign will be set. I hope it will be somalia (20000 marines were deployed there). It's the only large scale USMC deployment I know of in africa.