Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Which theatre are you most looking forward to?

I though it would cover USMC history. (and than the large scale actions). So technically yesterday could be in OFP2, since it's history wink_o.gif

I certainly hope it isn't Somalia. OFP is supposed to cover wars after all, not skirmishes.

Suez Crisis would be much more interesting in that case. There were US troops there, and UK and Israeli plus Egyptian. Though OFP2 might not be able to handle a conflict of that scale.

Otoh OFP needs a good Savannah/jungle map since there aren't any good ones. I hope they read some books instead of trying to get their info from crappy movies.

I'm personally a bit worried about those "RPG" elements though. I hoped they would spend more time trying to get Field Tactics into a working condition and not spend time on gamey stuff. No more Rambo fools running around like scared chicken thank you. If they can fix so that squads behaves like real squads then it doesn't matter what theatre they choose.

BM

Indeed. We want more simulation of real world tactics! Squad should advance with combat pairs (not sure about the word in english), in other word, one covering and other advancing. They should automatically look for cover when stopped and kneel down.

I'm most looking forward to see Central Europe theatre. Jungle and desert would be cool too. Hopefully this time BIF is using real maps. It would be great to see large wheat fields, farms, small villages, small rivers (!) and realistic wood & bushes cover. Actually it doesn't matter much what theaters will be included. What's is more important is better terrain effect and I'm sure this we will get it in OFP2  wow_o.gif

Suez Crisis would be much more interesting in that case. There were US troops there, and UK and Israeli plus Egyptian.

Actually there weren't US troops involved in this conflict.English and French mostly wink_o.gif

Suez Crisis would be much more interesting in that case. There were US troops there, and UK and Israeli plus Egyptian.

Actually there weren't US troops involved in this conflict.English and French mostly  wink_o.gif

My mistake. I like this little tidbit I found smile_o.gif.

"Admiral Arleigh Burke signaled Vice Admiral Charles R. “Cat†Brown, Commander Sixth Fleet: “Situation tense; prepare for imminent hostilities.†Brown signaled back: “Am prepared for imminent hostilities, but whose side are we on?†"

This could be a fun "alternate history" variant perhaps? They talked about "RPG elements" after all smile_o.gif.

BM

Okay okay I'm coming around a bit. I want Vietnam, but a good central Europe setting would kick ass!

I certainly hope it isn't Somalia. OFP is supposed to cover wars after all, not skirmishes.

Suez Crisis would be much more interesting in that case. There were US troops there, and UK and Israeli plus Egyptian. Though OFP2 might not be able to handle a conflict of that scale.

Otoh OFP needs a good Savannah/jungle map since there aren't any good ones. I hope they read some books instead of trying to get their info from crappy movies.

I'm personally a bit worried about those "RPG" elements though. I hoped they would spend more time trying to get Field Tactics into a working condition and not spend time on gamey stuff. No more Rambo fools running around like scared chicken thank you. If they can fix so that squads behaves like real squads then it doesn't matter what theatre they choose.

BM

the official site says that the African conflict will be the strategic campaign (ie. commanding tanks and troops) so it should be large scale.

Africa...because it offers some very interesting options especially if set on some kind of mercenary theme.

I voted for central europe.

I think this is by far leading because people find fighting in terrain that is similar to terrain that they are used to, eg. european forests that we used to play in as children etc. Even american people have terrain similar to central europe.

'twould be nice indeed to see a 1970's big WarPac-NATO campaign, with the Fulda Gap and all the other stuff, but at any point that would almost definitely have involved nukes, which wouldnt make for a fun game (you're walking down a street, no enemies anywhere, then BANG! you're a cloud of floating atoms). I'm interested to see what the Yugoslavian campaign is gonna be. I would have thought the the 1968 Czech Revolution would have made for a more... likely subject, because it actually happened. There were no wars in Yugoslavia during that decade, at least to my knowledge (feel free to correct me).

Africa will be a most interesting area, there were so many different conflicts. Imagine playing... I think it was either the Congo or Zaire, 1966, and coming across some of the famous characters like Che Guevara or that dude who went on to be a dictator somewhere nearby. I know that isn't very helpful, but I'll change that soon when I get to the reference material.

Vietnam. The most controversial of the settings, it seems. A lot of games have done this recently, but they seemed to just stick to the Platoon\Apocalypse Now\everyone's idea of what Vietnam was like. But if it gave you the chance to "do" the whole Vietnam thing, like someone said before (urban battles round Hue, humping the boonies, flying Spads, the Brown Water Navy in the Mekong Delta and so on...) it'd be able to bring something to it no other game has. BIS made the greatest first-person WAR game, not a first-person shooter like the others were, why can't they do it again? I must admit, I do't like the whole "revamped" graphics engine thing, rather than a new one. I think it'll need more than just a touch-up when it comes to be time to release.

Just my two cents (or euros worth by the time I'm finished writing smile_o.gif )

I must admit, I do't like the whole "revamped" graphics engine thing, rather than a new one. I think it'll need more than just a touch-up when it comes to be time to release.

Tell that to all the addon makers slaving away in the expectation that OFP2 will be a revamped engine and not totally new.

They are trying to keep their mod and fan base. I doubt Invasion'44 would like to completely restart their mod to make it compatible with the sequel.

My view is that the engine of OFP had heaps of potential but was very rough cut and raw. It needed some more development but I get the impression time and money ran out and it was released "as is". Resistance polished the engine up dramatically but OFP2 will introduce new elements of engine capability.

I must admit, I do't like the whole "revamped" graphics engine thing, rather than a new one. I think it'll need more than just a touch-up when it comes to be time to release.

Tell that to all the addon makers slaving away in the expectation that OFP2 will be a revamped engine and not totally new.  

They are trying to keep their mod and fan base.  I doubt Invasion'44 would like to completely restart their mod to make it compatible with the sequel.  

My view is that the engine of OFP had heaps of potential but was very rough cut and raw.  It needed some more development but I get the impression time and money ran out and it was released "as is".  Resistance polished the engine up dramatically but OFP2 will introduce new elements of engine capability.

Aye, but it is a two year old graphics engine. Admittedly I've never experienced what OFP can look like, seeing as its running on a PII 350 with a Voodoo3 PCI 16MB and 128MB RAM. But the graphics are a bit... dull. When you look at all the new-fangled games with their sparkly bits and bobs, the game seems old and worn. You make a good point about the addons, though. I suppose I'd rather BAS & DKM & Kegetys & Footmunch & all our other venerated addon makers to be making us new addons a month after release instead of a year. I'd prefer that, even if it meant the graphics weren't up to modern standards.

But back on topic. The Parallel History Project is something that might whet your appetite for a seventies Central European conflict. It gives an idea of what the conflict between NATO and WarPac would have been like.

EUrope for Sure!

Here's my wish list:

VIETNAM: around 1965

AFRICA: around 1943

EUROPE: around 2010

This way the editors can mix all weapon types from different times, in all scenarios. (africa may also be around 1985, cause i don't really like old fashion weapons, they aim harder)

A europe campaign that stretches into arctic warfare in the alps as well that i would like to see and lots of infantry action in forests and hills

I'm lookin foward to Vietnam.Looks of trees, grass, and huey gunships baby! biggrin_o.gif

But I'm lookin foward to EU, to. smile_o.gif

I would love to see the europe campaign set in about 1989 where instead of the collapse of the soviet union some guba esque figure has taken over the military and set about a real life massive war between NATO and the warsaw pact if youve ever read red storm rising by tom clancy youll know what i mean but with more infantry action much more and special forces raids and urban warfare

vietnam for me...

i've got BFVietnam & a load of Medal of honour games in vietnam and i'm using them as target practise!!!

although i will enjoy them too...

indeed! mass high-tech graveyard.

Europe also gets my vote, Vietnam and Africa dont really appeal to me

But I'm lookin foward to EU, to. smile_o.gif

Hmm, maybe if Czechoslovakia would be a member of the EU instead of the Warsaw Pact and if the EU had existed in the 1970s...

EU is not = Europe. wink_o.gif

Regardless of where I am from, it's Central Europe for the variety of landscapes.

Muddy valleys, austrian Alps, green fields, a <bip>load of rivers.

But CentralEurope is vast. Where is it planed to take place if it does?

Bulgary? Hungary? Romania? Ex-Yougoslavia? Germany/Austria?.... rock.gif?

Bulgary? Hungary? Romania? Ex-Yougoslavia? Germany/Austria?.... rock.gif?

Let me guess...

Czechoslovakia biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Let me guess...

Czechoslovakia

You're a regular Sherlock Holmes! tounge_o.gif