Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

Stick to Newton this time.

Yes, I'm sure BIS has some new approach to handling collisions etc. If not then I hope they think about it...

lol, stick to Newton! it's true

I know it was a flight sim, but IL2 had the GREATEST physics....my god, crash landing as hard and spectacular as you could, while still managing to walk away from it was almost a game in itself...

Remember BIS...Good Physics = GLORY.

Copy IL-2 basically, try to implement all the little details in and also try and make the tank tracks moreflexible without clipping into the terrain, so you get a nice view of tracks rolling over hills. It's a 'thing'.

In OFP, there is a big problem with friction: I mean the vehicles, chopper, cars, planes, tanks, etc... will slide down the hills too easily, like they where covered with soap (even if the hill is not very steep. Too often, you've to run after you chopper when you disembark, because it is sliding down the hill.

I hope this will be corrected in OFP2.

The only thing that would bug me sometimes is when you ram another car, and your car would pass right through.

My own personal preferance but i would like to see more specific damage areas on vehicles etc, eg shooting the tracks on a tank makes it immobile (think sticky bombs on Saving Private Ryan). Im aware we have this to an extent, but i would like to maybe see it devloped more (shooting tyres on cars reduces their speed etc) And no more cardboard vehicles please!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (horrido @ April 25 2003,15:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Too often, you've to run after you chopper when you disembark, because it is sliding down the hill.<span id='postcolor'>

lol, I can't remember how often I had to do this. biggrin.gif

immobilising vehicles would be good, like u can do with turrets atm.

and yes, vehicles shouldnt be "frictionless" on hills...

yea improved physics would be great. I know that bis could be worried about playability, but they could always implement a cadet vs veteran approach like now smile.gif

Physics need improvement , yes

But not only for the vehicles , for the unit itself too

How many time when playing OFP i had the impression of "driving" my soldier and not "being" it

The physics for the OFP soldier are nearly similar to Wargasm soldier (it was worse in Wargasm, but if you know this game, you will understand)

Please, improve the immersive factor by improving player physics and smoothness

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ 26 April 2003,07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Physics need improvement , yes

How many time when playing OFP i had the impression of "driving" my soldier and not "being" it

The physics for the OFP soldier are nearly similar to Wargasm soldier (it was worse in Wargasm, but if you know this game, you will understand)

Please, improve the immersive factor by improving player physics and smoothness<span id='postcolor'>

NO!! Dont do that, thats one of the things i love about ofp, i hate the way you "glide" over the surface in other games. In ofp it feels like a real person you are controlling.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ 26 April 2003,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ 26 April 2003,07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Physics need improvement , yes

Please, improve the immersive factor by improving player physics and smoothness<span id='postcolor'>

NO!! Dont do that, thats one of the things i love about ofp, i hate the way you "glide" over the surface in other games. In ofp it feels like a real person you are controlling.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, DO NOT CHANGE PLAYER MOVEMENT!

Ben

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (benreeper @ 26 April 2003,19:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ 26 April 2003,18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ 26 April 2003,07:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Physics need improvement , yes

NO!! Dont do that, thats one of the things i love about ofp, i hate the way you "glide" over the surface in other games. In ofp it feels like a real person you are controlling.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, DO NOT CHANGE PLAYER MOVEMENT!

Ben<span id='postcolor'>

Is it a joke ? i cant believe people like actual player movement system , it is not smooth and intuitive.

Just walk forward, then press left or right strafe key and you will have the impression your unit is a tank , never like a real person

The game atmosphere and the multiple situations you encounter actually give OFP a lot of immersive factor, but not the player control.

If the player controls was smooth and naturals , the immersive factor will be increased exponentially .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ 26 April 2003,13:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it a joke ? i cant believe people like actual player movement system , it is not smooth and intuitive.

Just walk forward, then press left or right strafe key and you will have the impression your unit is a tank , never like a real person

The game atmosphere and the multiple situations you encounter actually give OFP a lot of immersive factor, but not the player control.

If the player controls was smooth and naturals , the immersive factor will be increased exponentially .<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by smooth, hopefully not R6 Rogue Spear, or Duke Nukem kind of smooth.

I don't see so much wrong with the unit movement, other than insane stamina. Try using the mouse to move around instead of the keys...?

I don't mind the player movement in OFP either actually...

Maybe if you gave us an example of what you had in mind?

Whats wrong with movement, in my opinion it is one of the many features that make opf difer from other games confused.gif , it actually feels like you runing and holding a weapon instead of sliding around like most other arcade shooters.

And regarding physics i hope to see improvement too, i mean if you go downhill, fullspeed with a armored unit and crash into a house you should take injury no? I really dislike those sliding tanks tounge.gif .

There was a FPP game released few years ago, it was called Tresspasser, and was based on Jurassic Park plot. Although the thing was about dinosaurs, it was the one of most successful games in implementing Newton into a game enviroment.

Trespasser had AMAZING an physics engine...it's a shame the controls made it very near unplayable confused.gif The health meter in that game was rather interesting as well heh tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

I would just say run a bit faster, ever seen the paras sprint, even with all their combat gear they are doing 10 mph, but for short moments, and don't have a stamina bar, that's silly, just slow them down. Also when you're sprinting and then go prone, you slow down a for a bit because of the animation, have a different animation for sprinting and lying down, more like diving towards the ground in a fast and slightly uncontrolled way to dive out of the way of potential enemy fire.

For the player movement , i gave an example of what i have in mind when i said it can be improved

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just walk forward, then press left or right strafe key and you will have the impression your unit is a tank , never like a real person

<span id='postcolor'>

Now the problem is so much subjective , that i dont think i can clarify more what i mean by "smoothing" the controls.

The free aiming system is one of the best thing i ever met (the same as the mod Infiltration for Unreal Tournament) , but by player control i dont talk of that , i just cant feel realism in the way i move in the game. ( i wonder how you are walking in your real life if you find OFP walking player realistic wink.gif )

Thats is not awfull (as it is in the game Wargasm where it is extreme) , but in my opinion it can be improved

Armor facing values. Tanks have thicker armor in the front than in the back. There should be a motivation to hit tanks from the side and rear, instead of the arcade set number of shots to kill from any angle. Even the general public is probably aware of this after hearing about the M1's rear-end vulnerability in Iraq.