Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

ow, we have famous ppl posting posts here... good to see some of BIS guys... so now we can see, that u still read the forums, and didn't put it up just for us biggrin_o.gif

- of course realistic physics, so ground vehicles can NOT go up hills steper than 45°. (usually much lesser)

-- Tanks and other military vehicles can climb hills that have slopes up to 60 %. I also think that tanks are often much to slow in OPF when the climb hills. Even when they use roads and the hill is not very steep.

Just a quick angle metrics excercise:

45° is the same as 100 %

30° is the same as 60 %.

Obviously if you have the right data then fair enough, but when I've been in the back of a Warrior (modernish british IFV for those who dont know) and in commanders seat they've gone straight up any hill we could throw at them without even slowing down. I think the figures for steepness of slope has to do with a danger of overturning rather than an inability to climb them.

The warrior can beat a porche away from a set of traffic lights (550 BHP ) but weighs 25 tons. Obviously older IFVs/ AFVs might not be as nippy but it seems strange playing OFP with these vehicles that seem to be powered by hamsters.

Back to the whole swimming thing, I've tried it in jeans, a tee-shirt, and sneakers, and it was damn hard, I'd really hate to try it in a BDU.

crazy_o.gif

Hi there, i've got some brainstorm possibilities to put in...maybe it's brings on some idea's... tounge_o.gif

-- Put in a RAIL-ROAD system! steam, Diesel, electra, MAG-lev??

-- Units can CLIMB TREES or some trees to use in their advantage

-- UNDERGROUND objects which you can use/place anywhere in a map. like a tunnel system, underground-room or other basic war-stuff.

-- Objects like houses, trees, should be DAMAGED IN STAGES and/or be damaged on different sides..maybe add BURNING so they will burn down. Or BURNING TREES and/or woods!

-- aircrafts (planes/choppers) should be able to fly on the REAL HEIGHTS (like real world) have better view on high heights..

-- according to that "SKY-DIVE" should be possible so it won't take ages to get from 8000 mtrs height to the ground..

-- standard BUNKER-SYSTEMS much like the addon-verisons or based on real bunker-blue-prints! *coastal gun*

well, thats what i can think of right now!!!

GG All

Ss

Quote[/b] ]I`ve just though of an other thing.

Removing the sky box or whatever causes the missiles to explode when u shoot them  straight up.

Goldeneye on the n64 was cool in that respect, u could fire rockets into the air for ages then sit for a few minutes until they came raining down like an  airstrike biggrin_o.gif

First. i 'll say...make it as real as "it is with real weapons".

Second. Sky-box is possible...maybe rocket-only.  planes don't proof there isn't any!

It could be possible a rocket like LAW, RPG  always explode when out of fuel, or after some time. You have to know the right facts, i don't!

Last.  maybe the real-army could modify the real weapons so, that a LAW, RPG only explode on impact...that way we get more FUN outta OFP2!! biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Game On!

Ss

There is one thing that is not yet mention in this thread....

If you blow a mobile object with about 24 satchel charges, such as a Jeep, it should not turn into a wreckage and fly high into the sky then crash somewhere where the wreckage is still intact....... such as Jeep tossing.

Instead it should just blow up in pieces and/or vaporize.

I think it is actualy possible to vapourise something in OFP1. A long time ago for fun I laid lots and lots and lots of satchel charges next to a vehicle (Abrams I think). When I set off the stachel charges (there was something like a 100 of them) the vehicle dissapeared, and I didn't see it again. Either it went so high so fast I didn't see it, or it was obliviated.

Its still in orbit i guess...

i did the same, with about 89 satchels, drove m1a1 onto it, and fired...

Quote[/b] ]-- Put in a RAIL-ROAD system! steam, Diesel, electra, MAG-lev??

sry, but i JUST HAVE TO mention this... BIS makes the OFP2 at about the times of Vietnam war... ummm.... i don't see how magnet railroads were built back then... biggrin_o.gif ok, i'm just teasing you biggrin_o.gif good idea to put railroads in OFP

Quote[/b] ]--  Put in a RAIL-ROAD system! steam, Diesel, electra, MAG-lev??

sry, but i JUST HAVE TO mention this... BIS makes the OFP2 at about the times of Vietnam war... ummm.... i don't see how magnet railroads were built back then... biggrin_o.gif ok, i'm just teasing you biggrin_o.gif good idea to put railroads in OFP

You''re right with the Vietnam part, but it's still not sure, at what time, Europe and Africa will be..not for me.

I tought on another thing to look at...

The largest explosion in OFP was the LGB-explosion. maybe there are larger explosion types which can be added...i'd like that!

NExt:

A carradio would be nice, so sounds come out of dashboard...

GReeTz

Ss

mhh... u mean like nuclear warhead? kinda hard to do something like that on small-scale islands like everon and malden... but there are smaller explosions than nuclear explosions and bigger then LGB... like some cruise-missiles... you know what would be nice? 3D-explosion models... i mean with bigger explosions... little grenade(and these 30mm cannons) explosions can remain sprite-based, but larger (sabot, LGB) can be like many-layered (with alpha) large sphere, fastly enlargering... because these sabot explosions were too big to be made using sprites, and sometimes it looked crappy...

mhh... u mean like nuclear warhead? kinda hard to do something like that on small-scale islands like everon and malden... but there are smaller explosions than nuclear explosions and bigger then LGB... like some cruise-missiles... you know what would be nice? 3D-explosion models... i mean with bigger explosions... little grenade(and these 30mm cannons) explosions can remain sprite-based, but larger (sabot, LGB) can be like many-layered (with alpha) large sphere, fastly enlargering... because these sabot explosions were too big to be made using sprites, and sometimes it looked crappy...

Ofcourse i didn't ment island-wipe outs...

Cruise-missiles is more like it. OR Maybe there are some other "satchel-like" explosion packages which can be set somewhere, any blow real big.

**Otherway in OFP a Fuelstation had some blast, but its'not the real thing. I don't want movie-like explosions, but a little more fire and blast effect would make it more real.

To take it even further...when houses have like 8 impact-directions, which mean all 8 parts have to damage seperatly, they'll look more real blowing up.

If a Fuelstation is standing in the middle of some houses, and blows: You'll get a fire-ball , maybe spredding fire, and some houses damaged on the side which was pointing to the blast-area.

They'll be wrecked only for the half. If a fire -effect would take over, it could burn the house down after some time.

I hope this doesn't make it to complex crazy_o.gif

~Bye noW~

Ss

I agree with earlier posts that character (human unit) movement shouldn't be completely smooth, because this way you get a more realistic impression of running fast, and ducking, because you can see your shoulders, hands and legs move around you. However, certain actions take too long to perform, like boarding a vehicle, or ducking/going prone. Also, you should be able to interrupt actions to perform another one. Right now, if you're standing, reloading a magazine, and you come under fire, you can't lie down until you finish reloading. Another idea, if you're sprinting and you press the "go prone" key, you should dive forward, not stop running and lie down. I guess what I'm saying is more animation sequences for humans. The more animations you have, the better and more human-like you can move. Right now, it's hard to move tactically, especially in an uraban setting, because, running diagnally or sideways is really awkward. Its hard to keep pointed in the right direction, so you can't return fire while your moving to another position. Also, one feature that would really benefit this tactical shooter, is lean right/left and roll right/left (when prone) it makes cover sooo much more usefull.

Side note: could some actions, like opening doors (if it's simulated), dropping a weapon, or placing/detonating explosives, be given shortcut keys instead of having to go through a menu. One other thing, there could be an "Open Door" action (for moving stealthily) and a "Kick Door Open" for moving quickly into a room and taking occupants by surprise.

Umm, reading through some of these ideas, I've come to worry about one thing in particular. Everybody wants detailed, area-specific damage on vehicles, houses that burn down, and some very complex physics. This is all fine and dandy, but this could take a HUGE toll on performance. Everthing should have an option to turn it off. I'd rather have a super-smooth running game than vehicles whose windsheilds shatter, tires pop, houses with realistic structural simulation, so on and so forth....

Oh and one thing that would be really cool (and I would want to be able to turn this off because potentially it could take up a lot of RAM) is bullet holes in soft targets, like plaster walls and unarmored vehicles, maybe even helmets.

And for bullet physics:

One game that has a feature I really like is IGI 2. I love how bullets can go through materials that they could in real life. Like crates, residential walls, and (depending on the calliber of round) some metal. Against a guy with .300 or .50 sniper rifle, a wood crate or an empty barrel really wouldn't afford much protection. I would love to see this modelled, because presently, you can take cover behind haystacks, crates, oil drums, and thin walls. I defy you to find a competent soldier who would take cover from a 7.62mm Machine gun behind a wood fence. Of course, bullet speed and defraction should be taken to account when they pass through these materials. And oh yeah, bullet DEFLECTION! Some shooters model how bullets bounce of solid metal surfaces when striking them at shallow angles. With tracers enabled, this could prove to be a very cool visual effect, even if it is annoying when you get hit by bullets that weren't even remotely intended for you.

My God, another post? Well, the gears keep turning...

Human models-  RAGDOLLS RAGDOLLS RAGDOLLS.  Really cool though they suck up performance. I want to see guys fly back 6 ft. and roll when they take 20 .45 bullets from a rapid fire SMG, or do a summersault when you shoot them in the back of the head with a 12-gauge shotgun.  Okay, now an even more graphic and gruesome suggestion:  Disemberment/decapitation.  When you take a .50 BMG round in the face, your head doesn't exactly stay in one peice.  What if you get hit with a 20mm cannon shell?  Those things blow arms, heads, and just about any appendage right off.  Remember Saving Private Ryan?  And then there's other stuff, like grenades. And what about 30mm cannon and explosives, like satchels, and HEAT shells?  People are blown to smithereens when hit with these things.  Depending on range from the center of the explosion, people could be ripped apart at the torso, have arms blown off, be burnt and horribly disfigured.  Of course, you could turn this off.  Might not be the best thing for a 11 year old to see....  Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast had a disemberment mode that was kind of cool.  But the severances would have to be a little messy.  They got away with cutting off arms and and hands cleanly at the joints, which saved them a lot of complex modelling,  because that's how a lightsaber does things.  But frag. grenades, don't exactly carve people up neatly.  There are no clean cuts.  It gets kinda messy.

TERRAIN-  Um, I've noticed hills in OFP aren't exactly hills.  Hills are rounded.  The "hills" in OFP are just several planes fitted together to make a faceted assymetrical geometric object that resembles a mound of earth.  When you run up a "hill" as you step from one plane to the next, you viewpoint elevation changes dramatically.  I know round hills aren't easilly possible when you have to have vehicles drive on them, but maybe you could do something for a smoother transition between these interlocking planes, maybe make it less noticable....

Quote[/b] ]TERRAIN- Um, I've noticed hills in OFP aren't exactly hills. Hills are rounded. The "hills" in OFP are just several planes fitted together to make a faceted assymetrical geometric object that resembles a mound of earth. When you run up a "hill" as you step from one plane to the next, you viewpoint elevation changes dramatically. I know round hills aren't easilly possible when you have to have vehicles drive on them, but maybe you could do something for a smoother transition between these interlocking planes, maybe make it less noticable....

Turn your terrain quality up.

We need dynamic fire effects, like in Postal 2! Gasoline should catch fire, people should burn. When vehicles blow up, the don't just crumple all over and turn all charred and spew smoke. They buckle where they were hit and where secondary explosions occured. They only get charred where the fire is. Tank turrets should get separated from the chassis. Thats what happens when a tank suffers a hard hit and the ammuntion goes up. Also, tanks should blow treads when hit with a LAW and get stuck.

Trees catching fire and fire effects where large explosions happen should be included. I'm not saying simulate a fire growing into a massive inferno that devours the forests of Vietnam, but fire should be on a timer and it should spread a little untill the timer runs out and it slowly goes out. Besides, wouldn't Molotov coctails and Napalm be fun? Come on, we need napalm if we're going to be in Vietnam, just like the VC needs to have women soldiers.

This is easy to do, and shouldn't take much CPU capacity: When you(or somebody else) are hit in original OFP, you just hear you scream and see blood, but in reality, there should a short schock effect, when you are unable to aim or fire. It's not cool, when an enemy doesn't even note that he's been hit, before his dead.

Quote[/b] ]This is easy to do, and shouldn't take much CPU capacity: When you(or somebody else) are hit in original OFP, you just hear you scream and see blood, but in reality, there should a short schock effect, when you are unable to aim or fire. It's not cool, when an enemy doesn't even note that he's been hit, before his dead.

yea u're right... that's the only thing that was unreal in ofp 1 and no-one even noticed that it was unreal, because everybody was used to usual FPS' where u get hit by a rocket and don't even moan...

Physics need improvement , yes

But not only for the vehicles , for the unit itself too

How many time when playing OFP i had the impression of "driving" my soldier and not "being" it

The physics for the OFP soldier are nearly similar to Wargasm soldier (it was worse in Wargasm, but if you know this game, you will understand)

Please, improve the immersive factor by improving player physics and smoothness

YES! NEED MORE PHISICS smile_o.gif

My pet OFP vehicle physics peeves I hope will be different in OFP2:

<ul>[*]Decceleration (braking). As it stands, the stopping distance of all vehicles is too long. Put in better brakes!

[*]Steering. Ever run into a tree in a curve due to the steering ceasing to work when going above a certain (low) speed?

[*]Engine power/feel. Like noted previously, all vehicles must be *much* better/faster at climbing slopes.

[*] Steering radius. Prime example: taxiing aircraft.

Oh, also, the aircraft flight modelling needs work, to say the least.  wink_o.gif

hmm, i don't know how many want SOF2 style damage model, but there would still be a realistic explosion. In ofp1 every explosion kills. In ofp2 it would be more movie like, sometimes you lose your legs etc. But do we want an anoter forbidden under age of 18?

HARA sup bro! It is already rated M for mature which means you have to be 17 to play it already> I dont care about the age tounge_o.gif

I don't care the age too, but i don't think that ofp2 would be better with negative publicity.