Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

Damn it, BBC is disappointingly late with updates today!

Anyone know a good news-site with latest stories?

CIA claims it has intercepts of serious medical aid being summoned for Saddam after that attack. If he is wounded, it may be badly because they say that bunker was levelled.

I think they might be able to bypass Basra if they seize Um Qasr. All they need is control of the port. Basra can be cut off and just let the resistance there stew it out until the end of the war.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">CIA claims it has intercepts of serious medical aid being summoned for Saddam after that attack.  If he is wounded, it may be badly because they say that bunker was levelled.<span id='postcolor'>

The same CIA annoúnced the death of Tarik Azis.

CIA is not the first choice when it comes to correct info on Iraq at the moment.

Again, CIA might be spreading false informaiton on purpose, to force a response from the Iraqi side. They might be trying to get Saddam to make a live TV appearance for example. Or to just bust up the moral of the enemy by spreading false information.

I find it hard to believe that Saddam would be taken out so easily, when he has bunkers that can withstand a hell of a let more than whats been used so far.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 21 2003,15:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn it, BBC is disappointingly late with updates today!

Anyone know a good news-site with latest stories?<span id='postcolor'>

CNN smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Mar. 21 2003,15:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 21 2003,15wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn it, BBC is disappointingly late with updates today!

Anyone know a good news-site with latest stories?<span id='postcolor'>

CNN <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ok - but I'm not C(IA)NN's greatest friend. They don't even have a headline of the british being halted by hard fighting?

But thanks anyway  smile.gif

Edit: you got the same flag as me? hehe

Well, they did use the new bunker buster bombs (4 of them) after hitting the shell of the bunker with 42 Tomahawks. I don't know how well any bunker could hold up to that. Reports state it was totally destroyed. Also, a witness is saying Saddam was seen being carried out on a stretcher and on oxygen. Unless, it was one of his doubles.

Heavy fighting near Basra is confirmed.

The Marines have seized the southern oilfields.

H2 and H3 airbases in western Iraq were captured. One airbase in Northern Iraq is captured. Heavy fighting for the northern oil fields is taking place right now.

And now explain me, how they can carry someone out if the bunker was completely destroyed wow.gif

I would expect, that you need some heavy equipment and a lot of time to dig through the rubble of such a bunker.

although it is reported that there are not many casualties, I think press is not releasing/or don't have exact number. considering that there is a heavy fighting in Basra, i won't be surprised if either side has time to count how many they lost.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,06:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iranian news agencies report that 50 coalition soldiers were killed and equally many captured in the fighting around Basra. /AFX 12:22 CET<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not going to speculate on this one. Iran is not a very unbiased source. It's also however something that the US/UK would never acknowledge at this time.

The one thing I find interesting is that Iraq has made no claims so far. Nothing of the usual "we've destroyed 10000000 of the infidel agressors". That's a bit odd. I wonder if they have changed their policy.<span id='postcolor'>

No I think their leadership is unable to organize meaningful statements anymore. Communication problems.

According to my estimates, they will be entering Baghdad on ground not earlier than 25th of March and not later than 1st of April, and thats after power gets knocked out.

And the amount of resistance so far is what is expected, the gloating of U.S. leadership is propaganda, Baghdad is really the only place where an enormous fight could take place. Depending on Iraqi willingness to fight and preparation, this could be a disaster for the coalition. wink.gif

I payed a visit to my former boss today. He was happy to see me until he realized that I was just fishing for information biggrin.gif

One interesting thing that I heard is that coalition forces are not taking any prisoners. Instead they just give them food and send them home. This is at least what the British claim. I have no independent confirmation of it.

I wonder if the same will apply to republican guard units? I can just imagine it:

RG Soldier: I give up, don't shoot!

Aussie soldier : No worries mate! Here's some food and water. Go home to your family.

RG Soldier: May I keep my tank, please?

Aussie soldier: Aw, sorry mate. Against the rules. We're told to take all your weapons. Silly rules I know, but I have to enforce them. Nothing personal.

RG Soldier: Please, couldn't you make an exception? My nine year old son will be so disappointed if I come home without a tank. And my wife loves it. She picked the color.

Aussi soldier: Oh, who am I to disappoint a little boy. Listen, this is what we'll do. See that tank over there, It's a Yank Abrams tank. It's very good and the same color as yours. Why don't you take that one instead and we won't break any rules.

RG Soldier: Thanks a lot, my son will be very happy.

RG Soldier: (Runs over Aussie soldier with the tank)

RG Soldier: Sorry! Accident!

Another Aussie soldier: No worries mate! Just watch out for those tank mines on the way and say hello to your son from us!

RG Soldier: (Runs over the rest of the Aussies nearby and sets off back to his position while chewing on a kangeroo burger)

wink.gif

Baghdads policy at the moment seems to be to deny everything

-The invaders have NOT advanced significantly past the border

-There are NO invaders in Umm Qasr

-The troops who have surrendered are NOT Iraqi

and especially to make non-specific promises of overwhelming destruction in the future(without highlighting means by which this miraculous destruction will occur)

-The walls of Baghdad will be an 'incinerator' for the invading forces

-The invaders will face unbelievable death toll

etc

they want to make the attackers look silly rather than looking silly themselves, maybe it plays better in arab countries

it all seems fairly typical to me

I expect they will not admit that any serious fighting is underway until either they manage to inflict significant losses on coalition forces or it becomes inescapable fact

Anyway things seem to have gone a little quiet on the news front......maybe thats a good thing.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,07:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I payed a visit to my former boss today. He was happy to see me until he realized that I was just fishing for information biggrin.gif

One interesting thing that I heard is that coalition forces are not taking any prisoners. Instead they just give them food and send them home. This is at least what the British claim. I have no independent confirmation of it.

I wonder if the same will apply to republican guard units? I can just imagine it:

RG Soldier: I give up, don't shoot!

Aussie soldier : No worries mate! Here's some food and water. Go home to your family.

RG Soldier: May I keep my tank, please?

Aussie soldier: Aw, sorry mate. Against the rules. We're told to take all your weapons. Silly rules I know, but I have to enforce them. Nothing personal.

RG Soldier: Please, couldn't you make an exception? My nine year old son will be so disappointed if I come home without a tank. And my wife loves it. She picked the color.

Aussi soldier: Oh, who am I to disappoint a little boy. Listen, this is what we'll do. See that tank over there, It's a Yank Abrams tank. It's very good and the same color as yours. Why don't you take that one instead and we won't break any rules.

RG Soldier: Thanks a lot, my son will be very happy.

RG Soldier: (Runs over Aussie soldier with the tank)

RG Soldier: Sorry! Accident!

Another Aussie soldier: No worries mate! Just watch out for those tank mines on the way and say hello to your son from us!

RG Soldier: (Runs over the rest of the Aussies nearby and sets off back to his position while chewing on a kangeroo burger)

wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oddly enough Coalition forces in the region have the option of leaving the Iraqi military commanders with their weaponss. FOXNEWS and CNN were showing a copy of an information packet that was giving to Coalition commanders outlining what actions to take with Iraqis...

Hearts and minds folks, hearts and minds. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I payed a visit to my former boss today. He was happy to see me until he realized that I was just fishing for information biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol......man, you gotta be more social...go out and get some life....oh wait....like i have one also... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One interesting thing that I heard is that coalition forces are not taking any prisoners. Instead they just give them food and send them home. This is at least what the British claim. I have no independent confirmation of it.<span id='postcolor'>

mobility reason? taking POW is a process that could consume time, so either kill them or send them back and save time. also the returned soldiers might hint at "benevolence" of coalition forces, so it could have psychological impact on those at home.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ Mar. 21 2003,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway things seem to have gone a little quiet on the news front......maybe thats a good thing.....<span id='postcolor'>

IIRC, it is now about 5h ago, when the first B52s left the british airbase. It can't be very long until they arrive in the region...

"RG Soldier: (Runs over Aussie soldier with the tank)"

Thats not cricket! wow.gif

in fact its a good thing that war isnt cricket all we'd all be learning to speak with crazy australian accents about now

biggrin.gif

(uh oh -IsthatyouJohnWayne starts thinking of his aussie ex-girlfriend and considers heading to the pub to drown his sorrows confused.gif -then realises it 4:15 )

I heard a Marine Colonel yesterday saying that they drove through an Iraqi camp and that they had white sheets draped over the tents to surrender but that they did not have the capabilty to transport POW's.

Can anyone confirm that there is 0 information about the battle for Basra here on North American TV. I honestly see nothing but the same 20 - 30 surrendering soldiers over and over again. Oh and that 1 marine died.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">White House warned on friday that the war in Iraq can be a long, costly and dangerous commitment. /AFX 16:12 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

I wonder if things are going bad or if they're just covering their backs just to be safe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can anyone confirm that there is 0 information about the battle for Basra here on North American TV. I honestly see nothing but the same 20 - 30 surrendering soldiers over and over again. Oh and that 1 marine died.

<span id='postcolor'>

There were unconfirmed reports earlier today that the first attack on Basra was a failure and that several British tanks were destroyed. Iranian news agencies said that 50 coalition soldiers were killed and another 50 captured. Both Reuters and AFX said that after artillery was used against Iraqi positions in Basra, a second attack was successful and that the main street was in coalition hand. From the current reports I can't tell shit, but if the reporting now is correct then the reporting earlier wasn't. Fog of war.

FYI it takes 7hr to get to iraq from fairlfield

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ Mar. 21 2003,17:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FYI it takes 7hr to get to iraq from fairlfield<span id='postcolor'>

Right now in a newsticker of a german TV station they say that the B52s will launch a major attack in the next minutes, according to british sources. It will start within the next hour.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Britische Kreise: B-52 Bomber starten Großoffensive 17:30:29

US-amerikanische B-52-Bomber werden nach Angaben aus britischen Militärkreisen in wenigen Minuten ihre Bomben auf Irak abwerfen. Das Bombardement sei Teil eines "großen Knalls" und solle binnen einer Stunde beginnen. <span id='postcolor'>